Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI Visa Debit

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

probably another delay??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Ive been bugging them about this since 2010 all all I've gotten in response each time was either "end of the year", "start of the year", or "summer". It's very disappointing as I will be cancelling my always-tempting-to-use credit card as soon as the visa debit comes along. If it ever does that is.

They've announced that they're switching to it numerous times, I expect them to make another announcement when they finally do.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

When into BOI in Sandyford today and your one behind the counter said they don't know when the cards will start coming out as they haven't been told but it'll prob be summer time before they do. FFS BOI :mad:
    Hope ta god she's wrong! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Very disappointing but not all surprising.

Go back in the summer and they'll probably tell you late 2012/early 2013 :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sodabread

My mother ( who is a BOI staff member) received a letter in post back in November telling her that initial batches of visa debits for staff were to be available in January . She still hasnt received it so I imagine there has been a hickup. At this rate AIB will have them quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭RichT

Is there any reason why so many of you want to stay with BOI?

This thread is coming up for its first birthday, and it seems you are no closer to getting a Visa Debit Card than you was last May.

If you pop into your local PTSB or Ulster Bank branch you will get a Visa Debit Card within a week.

You can switch your account online if you prefer, but that will take a couple of days more.

I made the switch from BOI to Ulster Bank (as they were nearest) in December, and haven't looked back.

Down side is that now the whole worlds bargains are available to me, I'm poor as a church mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

I got a letter from boi saying these visa cards were being sent on a phased basis over a 6 month period but that anyone who hasn't activated their cirrus card in the last 12 months won't be getting one.
    The letter stated that if I don't use my cirrus card by the end of the month in an atm transaction I won't be getting the visa card and my cirrus card will be cancelled.

I'm confused as hell though as I only have one bank account and I have a laser card for it and I'm constantly using it so I don't know why they think I haven't used it in the last twelve months?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Its easier to send that letter to all laser card holders rather than sifting through everyones accounts to see if they have used.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

Richie6904 wrote: »
    Its easier to send that letter to all laser card holders rather than sifting through everyones accounts to see if they have used.

Yeah but the letter actually states that I haven't used mine, rather than just a general if you haven't used it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

This is on the Boi website ????????????

Notification to all Personal and Business Current Account customers

Withdrawal from Laser/Cirrus/Maestro schemes

We would like to advise customers that from the 31st January 2012 the

following will come into effect:

• Bank of Ireland will no longer issue Debit and ATM cards under the

Laser, Cirrus and Maestro schemes.

• Existing Bank of Ireland customers will receive a new product, the

Visa Debit card on a phased basis between January and June 2012.

• When existing customers receive their new Visa Debit card their

existing Laser or ATM card will be cancelled.

• Customers will receive full details of their Visa Debit card and its

benefits with their card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

Nowso wrote: »
    This is on the Boi website ????????????

Notification to all Personal and Business Current Account customers

• Existing Bank of Ireland customers will receive a new product, the

Visa Debit card on a phased basis between January and June 2012.

Yes, so it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Thomas

Folks, I know somebody who works in BOI and apparently in early April the pilot will be extended to some staff who volunteered to be issued Visa Debit cards ahead of the main Staff Pilot.

Hopefully this means the full rollout isn't too far away......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I've actually stopped caring at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭harolds57

Diffently dont hold your breath on this one. Was onto them today and the guy on the phone said its pushed out to september 2012 now and they will start phasing it in at that stage. Thats the latest informantion he said he has on it. A problem with the manufactor of the card he thinks is the reason.

Think for myself im giving up at this stage and will look at ulser bank , if moving is easy if not im stuck here with boi.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The lack of a banking app is also ridiculous. I mean they are being smashed by the competition.

I taught you were joking about apps, only when i went onto ulster bank web site i realised what i have been missing, but looks like National Irish Bank app seems to be way ahead of the rest. O options options options :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

I wouldn't believe the september thing unless there has been a major oversight with the programming and integration of the card into BOI systems its already in testing so id say its closer than that month or 2 I would say
    As for the banking app i do agree BOI missed the boat with this it should of been out ages ago shortly after AIB if not before but that's Irish banks for you they are all waiting for the other to take the plunge first. There is one coming but Like the visa debit dont hold your breath

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Has anybody got anymore news about this? They are supposedly halfway through the roll out of Visa Debt cards now but I don't know anyone who has one yet :confused:

Withdrawal from Laser/Cirrus/Maestro schemes

We would like to advise customers that from the 31st January 2012 the following will come into effect:

• Bank of Ireland will no longer issue Debit and ATM cards under the Laser, Cirrus and Maestro schemes.

• Existing Bank of Ireland customers will receive a new product, the Visa Debit card on a phased basis between January and June 2012.

• When existing customers receive their new Visa Debit card their existing Laser or ATM card will be cancelled.

• Customers will receive full details of their Visa Debit card and its benefits with their card.
    listermint wrote: »
    The lack of a banking app is also ridiculous. I mean they are being smashed by the competition.

Yeah very true. Ulster Bank, National Irish Bank & AIB all have apps now. BOI always seem miles behind their competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Raekwon wrote: »
    Has anybody got anymore news about this? They are supposedly halfway through the roll out of Visa Debt cards now but I don't know anyone who has one yet :confused:

I went to apply for a BOI Visa Debit card a few weeks back and was shocked that they don't do them yet. I was told by the bank official that they would hopefully be issuing them by the end of the year. :-/ Can't believe BOI are so behind on getting them!

Also, I'm applying for a Laser card in a few weeks on the advice of the official (I didn't have one as I was unemployed when I opened the account so couldn't get one until I was employed). So I have to apply for a card that will soon be defunct. But the fact that I was encouraged to apply for a Laser card indicates that the Visa Debit card won't be issued before June 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I was told during the week from BOI that it will be 'May or June at the earliest'.

BOI announcing they were converting to Visa Debit way back when they did was a complete joke and they are still fobbing off customers.

Id say at this stage the staff dont know themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I was told they were coming out at the end of the month when I asked 2 weeks ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Just got my brand new LASER card from BoI :rolleyes:

I see theyve recently updated their terms and conditions
    The Services available using the Bank of Ireland App or Mobile Website may vary from time to time at our discretion and depending on the type of handset you are using or the type of Account you have. To the extent that the Services, or any of them, are available, they will be provided in accordance with the various terms set out above

It seems to be quicker to update Ts&Cs rather than actually have a released app. Does this mean there will be an app sooner rather than later... judging by the visa debit fiasco who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭amber2

BOI Visa Debit Cards were supposedly being piloted with Bank Staff prior to the roll out as far as i know that has not even happened yet ....... sufficed to say that yes you are correct in saying staff have not been given any more information that they man on the street. My advice don't hold your breath.

Just been onto their card service. The lady was very helpful and honest. She said that the date was to have been the end of this month for Visa/Debit cards to be issused but it has been pushed out again and that the bank has not issued a new release date to staff. She reckons because of this it wont be anytime soon. The cards havent been tested yet and she can see on the system that there is a test period coming up for this but she didnt say when this was to start or finish.
    I reckon thats why people are still been issued with laser cards. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

They issued me with a brand new laser only a couple of weeks ago.
    The only reason I'm with BOI is because my employer has his account in the same branch, so when he transfers money it goes through instantaneously rather than having to wait a few days.
    I went down the street, opened up an Ulster Bank account and had my Visa Debit within in a week. So now if I want to make purchases online I just quickly take out my phone, go to the BOI website, transfer money, wait a couple of days and I'm good to go. Not ideal but certainly better than waiting for BOI to get off their arse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

wait a couple of days
    It should be the next working day for a transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

listermint wrote: »

When I logged into the 365 site today I had to agree to new t&c's. They've included a section on a mobile banking app and mobile website so hopefully it should be introduced soon.

http://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/online-banking/365-online-and-phone-terms-and-condtions/roi-terms-and-condtions/roi-conditons-march-2012/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

mgsrocks wrote: »
    When I logged into the 365 site today I had to agree to new t&c's. They've included a section on a mobile banking app and mobile website so hopefully it should be introduced soon.

http://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/online-banking/365-online-and-phone-terms-and-condtions/roi-terms-and-condtions/roi-conditons-march-2012/

MGS suck :P

im seriously considering moving operations over to my ulster bank account.

its riddled with debt at the minute though...thats all thats holding me off it.

sick of waiting for something thats not even that new

• Advertisement

mgsrocks wrote: »

see my post above ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement