Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI Visa Debit

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

..and yet again it's not a debit card, just a prepaid credit card glued to a CU account. Its not quite the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 forbz86

I fired off an email to BoI last night asking about the Visa Debit and got this back:

"Thank you for contacting Bank of Ireland via our Contact Us facility contained on Group Website (www.bankofireland.com).

This is an automated response to your query. Please do not reply directly to this email.

Bank of Ireland will start rolling out their new Visa Debit cards on a phased basis between March and August 2012.

The Visa Debit Card offers extensive online purchasing access and the facility to make payments and withdraw cash across the world.

Bank of Ireland will be the first to offer a Visa Debit Card to consumers in the Republic of Ireland with 'contactless' functionality.

Further Q&As relating to this service are available on www.bankofireland.com"

Don't know if this is necessarily news to you guys, but thought I'd share

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭secondspring

forbz86 wrote: »
    I fired off an email to BoI last night asking about the Visa Debit and got this back:

"Thank you for contacting Bank of Ireland via our Contact Us facility contained on Group Website (www.bankofireland.com).

This is an automated response to your query. Please do not reply directly to this email.

Bank of Ireland will start rolling out their new Visa Debit cards on a phased basis between March and August 2012.

The Visa Debit Card offers extensive online purchasing access and the facility to make payments and withdraw cash across the world.

Bank of Ireland will be the first to offer a Visa Debit Card to consumers in the Republic of Ireland with 'contactless' functionality.

Further Q&As relating to this service are available on www.bankofireland.com"

Don't know if this is necessarily news to you guys, but thought I'd share

Wow....

I sent a similar email last week and got this back:

Thank you for contacting Bank of Ireland via our Contact Us facility contained on Group Website (www.bankofireland.com).

Bank of Ireland will start rolling out their new Visa Debit cards on a phased basis between January and June 2012.

So January to June is now March to August...

This might finally push me to move banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Only good thing about the BOI Visa Debit cards is that they'll be the first to have NFC so you can do contactless payments in shops, only reason I'm bothered to hold on and wait for the card!

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/business/item/22529-bank-of-ireland-launches-co

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

It gets longer every update they give

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Raladic

I wonder how long will it take shops like Aldi that only take laser to switch over to Visa debit?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gadhafi

thats it, im moving to ulster I just emailed them there, purely for a laugh at their response

dear sir/madam,

I am emailing to find out when are the BOI releasing visa debit cards. as a long time, loyal bank of Ireland customer I have been waiting for the their release very patiently. However, Im am growing increasingly frustrated at the delays and the lies told by BOI staff to me regarding the card. If, I do not receive a satisfactory response in time I afriad I will have to withdraw my support for your bank, as many of my friends have done and close my account. Im sure Ulster Bank would be more than willing to issue me a visa debit as would the AIB. I await your reply with great anticipation.
    regards

Il straight into ulster bank monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Raladic wrote: »
    I wonder how long will it take shops like Aldi that only take laser to switch over to Visa debit?

They take Visa Debit. I paid the other day with one and it showed up as Visa debit on the machine. No problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Raladic

chris85 wrote: »
    They take Visa Debit. I paid the other day with one and it showed up as Visa debit on the machine. No problems.
    Interesting, I must try that at my local branch in Sandyford, the sign on the door only says laser and the cashiers always just ask "Cash or Laser?".

They use the term "laser" in the catch-all sense. Most Aldi/Lidl's I've been in have updated signage with Visa Debit on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Actually, some staff will refuse to allow you pay by Visa Debit. It is all down to very poor training.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

stevenf17 wrote: »
    Only good thing about the BOI Visa Debit cards is that they'll be the first to have NFC so you can do contactless payments in shops, only reason I'm bothered to hold on and wait for the card!

"... allowing consumers to pay for purchases of €15 and under..."'

That'll probably be the price of a pack of fags by the time we get it :rolleyes:

Contactless cards are only a gimmick really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Contactless cards are only a gimmick really.

You really think so? For me, they are the last step in ridding my wallet of cash. The only things I use cash for nowadays is small purchases (bar/taxi/a few groceries etc). Generally, anything above 20 goes on the card.

I can't wait for them (although it may take a year or so before all businesses accept them) - No more loose change !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Wow....

I sent a similar email last week and got this back:

Thank you for contacting Bank of Ireland via our Contact Us facility contained on Group Website (www.bankofireland.com).

Bank of Ireland will start rolling out their new Visa Debit cards on a phased basis between January and June 2012.

So January to June is now March to August...

This might finally push me to move banks.
    I'm going to email now for the Craic to see what response they give me. I'll post results here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I got the March and August reply also.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

BuffyBot wrote: »
    not1but4 wrote: »
    My Laser expires in Feb 2012 would I be issued with a new Debit Card before then?
    If BOI keep to their expected timeframe, you should get issued with a Visa Debit card when your current one is due to be replaced.
    Got my shiny new BOI Laser card this morning in the post which is valid until 2014. :mad:

Can I request a Visa card?

Not until they start issuing them. Until then, the Laser cards will continue to come out as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

Is it definitely going to be march or will there be more delays?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Tandey

I was in a BOI branch there yesterday and requested a visa card as i need to make some transactions online (pay for a visa/book flights etc..)the woman in customer care looked it up and said they dont have them yet but will have them at the end of this month.

Now i see on here they are saying march..this is all very confusing as i need one now..think ill just change to ulster bank..or does it cost much to get a credit card to make a few transactions online then cancel the credit card? Not pushed on getting a credit card as there seems to be a lot of extra charges.

• Advertisement

It would cost you the government tax of €40 if you closed it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Tandey

It would cost you the government tax of €40 if you closed it down.

Think im better off setting up a ulster bank acc, get a visa card and putting a few hundred euro in it for what i need to do. Being with BOI is becoming more and more frustrating with their transaction charges and false promises about when their new visa card was to be implemented.

Tandey wrote: »
    Think im better off setting up a ulster bank acc, get a visa card and putting a few hundred euro in it for what i need to do. Being with BOI is becoming more and more frustrating with their transaction charges and false promises about when their new visa card was to be implemented.
    That would be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I rang BOI last night to ask about the Visa Debit and was told that were or would soon be issuing them in batches, depending on your branch. I asked if I lost my Laser card in the meantime, would it be replaced with a Visa Debit and was told it would not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Con_Keppel

Has anybody heard anything about Bank of Ireland getting a Visa Debit yet? They seem to be ridiculously slow about getting it off the ground! In a previous thread on here, someone claimed that they were told the 'second half of 2011' for the roll-out of the Visa Debit in BOI.

Can anybody shed some light!? :(

You don't need to start a new thread when there is a recent, active thread on this topic. Threads merged :)

I was in BOI in cavan today and was told it would be at least a couple of months before they are rolled out!!!

Anyone hear anything more on when these are being rolled out?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Razor Russ

I emailed Bank of Ireland and i got the following response

"This is an automated response to your query. Please do not reply directly to this email.

Further Q&As relating to this service are available on www.bankofireland.com insert reference"

• Advertisement

Last i heard these where finally being issued from March 1st , has anyone heard anymore?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement