Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New UPC 100mb Thomson TWG870UIR Router

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

roast wrote: »
    There is. I'll dig out the model number when I get home, I can't remember off the top of my head.

Why not assign IP's by MAC address?

Can the thompson even do that, it acts the dick trying to even assign static ip's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

TheDoc wrote: »
    Can the thompson even do that, it acts the dick trying to even assign static ip's.

Thought there was, but I just had a quick look, and unfortunately not. Can you assign static IP's on your devices?

Thought there was, but I just had a quick look, and unfortunately not. Can you assign static IP's on your devices?

yeah on my phones and pc etc. I can setup static IP's through the adaptor settings, but I dont think that affects anything really, unless its set from the router.

TheDoc wrote: »
    yeah on my phones and pc etc. I can setup static IP's through the adaptor settings, but I dont think that affects anything really, unless its set from the router.

Setting a static IP on the device will request that particular IP from the router whenever the device is connected to the network, effectively bypassing DHCP. So, if indeed your issue is a bug with the DHCP server on your modem, setting a static IP would alleviate the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it's work fine, you just need to make sure that any static IP's you assign to devices are outside of the range of the DHCP pool on the router (but in the same subnet) which afaik is .11 to .249 on the thompson if it's still got the default settings.

you can change that though in the network settings on the router to make the dhcp pool smaller if you need more static addresses.

• Advertisement

Was under the impression this router didnt allow static IP assignment

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the router doesn't need to, you just have to set it up on each device initially and you're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 izjwv30s

Dear Roast I have followed the instructions in your tutorial, but although i can connect to the Thomson (either as 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1) via my router, the router can´t access the internet.

I guess that means the DMZ isn´t working?

just one question; the default gateway on the WAN is 192.168.0.1 but
    what should the default gateway (on the LAN side) be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I notice that the firmware has been updated on this to STBA.01.50 (when I realised all my settings were gone again) and was just wondering if someone has tested the wireless with the firmware to see if it's solved any of the problems. Are there any other issues with this version?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

Monotype wrote: »
    I notice that the firmware has been updated on this to STBA.01.50 (when I realised all my settings were gone again) and was just wondering if someone has tested the wireless with the firmware to see if it's solved any of the problems. Are there any other issues with this version?

The rebooting issue is fixed but the wireless still drops out very frequently, just doesnt result in a reboot every time.

Still as bad a router as it was before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 rez

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I'm sick and tired with the thomson router on 100Mb link (WOL problems, no ssh, no remote management). I'm looking for hands-on experience of someone who replaced it with something else (not possible afaik) or who uses a second router connected to the thomson box.

You can use another router configured for 'proxy arp' with the thompson (or any other piece of s--- router). I'm using a Cisco 1841 in front of the Thompson but I'm sure open wrt or similar could do the same. The basic concept is this:

http://linux-ip.net/html/ether-arp-proxy.html

My setup is:

Thompson: LAN configured for: 192.168.1.254/24

Cisco: e0 connected to thompson: 192.168.1.253/30
    -- e0 also has proxy arp enabled
    -- e1 connected to rest of LAN: 192.168.1.1/25

LAN: Cisco IP 192.168.1.1 is gateway for LAN hosts.
    -- Cisco performs DHCP. (Pool 192.168.1.2 --> 192.168.1.126.)

This allows the Thompson to ARP for the LAN IPs and get a response, even though it is actually not directly connected to them at layer 2. It is effecitvely MAT - Mac Address Translation.

Very messy though I would much rather the Thompson would just support bridge mode and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭lotas

I luckly enough got rid of the Thompson router, but got my hands on one (well, 2) of the Cisco 3925 ones... Since i have 2, and they aint great, i ended up turning off the Wifi, turning off the Firewall, turning off DHCP server, setting a static IP, turning DMZ on and pointing to a static IP in a different network (192.168.55.1 = cisco 1, 56.1 is cisco 2, 55.2 and 56.2 are a RouterBox router). then my internal network is 192.168.0.0/24. ED E's bridging guide (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056684993) helped me a lot... dont know if it would work on the Thompson...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rez

so the Cisco's aren't great either no? How do they rate verses the Thompson? Wondering whether I should try to get UPC to swap out my Thompson for one....

rez wrote: »
    so the Cisco's aren't great either no? How do they rate verses the Thompson? Wondering whether I should try to get UPC to swap out my Thompson for one....

Would like to know too as I am on my 3rd Thomson. Was offered the Cisco 3945 and turned it down as it has no external wifi antennae.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭lotas

In all fairness, never had a problem with the Cisco, but never used the WiFi, DNS or dhcp on it... I have a dhcp and DNS server in house, so the Cisco only acted as a router for the network. WiFi was taken care of by an airport express. Noe in the semi bridged mode, WiFi is still taken care of by the airport, DNS and dhcp still run on servers, and the router board runs the actual routing and firewall duties. And so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The wireless password?

Open a browser and type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar and hit enter.
    Default username is blank and password is admin.
    On the top bar at the end, click on Wireless. Then on the left hand side click on Primary Network. You can change encryption type and password there, including the SSID (network name) and whether to broadcast it (Closed Network = not broadcast).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 PatDee

Hi All, I've been reading all the posts and there's a ton of help in there, thanks to all.

I using the Cisco EPC2425 & using port forwarding through a dyndns account with great sucess for security cameras.

Things I'm unclear of from most of the posts are as follows. Why use the Thompson and another router?

Why not just use the Thompson cable modem/router to handle all port forwarding as in the Cisco EPC2425?

any clarification would be helpful.

Thanks in Advance.

oh my techie abilities are limited so go easy on me.....

cheers gents.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭devilabit

Here is my tutorial:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71665694&postcount=452

My setup definitely wouldn't be a common one, but I still do use the Thomsons routing and wifi functions for certain devices and applications. I just find it strange I haven't come across the issues myself in the ~1yr or so that I've had the server (and the same modem!)

UPC NL already offer such solutions (as in, a modem only), it's only a matter of time before UPC Ireland follow suit. This is the DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem used by UPC NL for the 50-100mb service. Simply a modem.
    I expect UPC Ireland are going to be issuing these as an alternative to the EPC3925 and the Thomson TWG870UIR sooner, rather than later, to accommodate the customers who want to use their own router as opposed to using DMZ mode.

I still do think the best workaround (and the easiest) is to purchase a good-quality router, and hang it off the Thomson in DMZ. Doesn't have to be an expensive add on too - This is my one, which I have two of, and they're excellent, quality routers - flashable with DD-WRT/OpenWRT/Tomato etc. if you feel you want even more functionality.

A dedicated, good brand router will provide much better functionality than the Thomson modem ever would - Even if it were to work to full capacity.

I have been having problems with this router (now just a modem) in front of a dd-wrt enabled router and I see you got vpn working as have a couple of others. I have set up the router as a PPTP server, i forward port 1723 on the dd-wrt router to the PPTP server (the router ip) and I also forward 1723 on the Thompson router to the DMZ IP. I have tried a couple of dd-wrt firmwares and tried loads of different settings but I cant get it to work. I am however able to connect to the PPTP server locally so i guess dd-wrt must be configured correctly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 matthewS.

What speeds wirelessly should I be expecting to get with upc 100mb and this router. As far as I can see the thing is set up correctly and is 802.11n, but the fastest i've seen on wireless is about 40Mb, should I expect more?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

matthewS. wrote: »
    What speeds wirelessly should I be expecting to get with upc 100mb and this router. As far as I can see the thing is set up correctly and is 802.11n, but the fastest i've seen on wireless is about 40Mb, should I expect more?

I'd be very happy with 40Mb wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 matthewS.

yeah we've had it for the year and not thought about it at all. More just curious about how others have faired

matthewS. wrote: »

I generallly get between 55mb an 75mb depending on wireless interferance (chanells being used by neighbours). My PC picks up 13 other networks in my area!

devilabit wrote: »
    I have been having problems with this router (now just a modem) in front of a dd-wrt enabled router and I see you got vpn working as have a couple of others. I have set up the router as a PPTP server, i forward port 1723 on the dd-wrt router to the PPTP server (the router ip) and I also forward 1723 on the Thompson router to the DMZ IP. I have tried a couple of dd-wrt firmwares and tried loads of different settings but I cant get it to work. I am however able to connect to the PPTP server locally so i guess dd-wrt must be configured correctly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Have you got the DMZ set up on the Thomson modem to point to your ddwrt router, or just a portforward rule pointing to the router?

Also, can you check the Advanced tab in the Thomson modem, and make sure PPTP is ticked.

Have you got the DMZ set up on the Thomson modem to point to your ddwrt router, or just a portforward rule pointing to the router?

Also, can you check the Advanced tab in the Thomson modem, and make sure PPTP is ticked.

Yeah the DMZ is pointing to the dd wrt router and its working fine for other inbound traffic such as wake on lan magic packets, remote web access etc

PPTP pass through is also enabled on the Thompson.

I can see some packets coming through on the log and I confirmed that traffic on port 1723 is getting through ok, I imagine its just some stupid setting that im missing on the dd wrt router.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

I was with UPC years i increased my Broadband up to the max and they insisted I get a new router (the thompson with the 2 aerials)
    MY GOD it is one Awesome router. My previous UPC blue router would cut off as soon as i was down stairs near the toilet and was touch and go when you got too far from the router. Now i can get interwebs at my back fence! Sweet.
    Off topic should you place your router Down stairs or up stairs in a standard Semi D??

devilabit wrote: »
    Yeah the DMZ is pointing to the dd wrt router and its working fine for other inbound traffic such as wake on lan magic packets, remote web access etc

PPTP pass through is also enabled on the Thompson.

I can see some packets coming through on the log and I confirmed that traffic on port 1723 is getting through ok, I imagine its just some stupid setting that im missing on the dd wrt router.

OK this looks to be working now. The problem was that I tired to test it externally (as to avoid a NAT loopback) by using my 3G handset. It turns out that although port 1723 communicates OK with the server VPN does not work on 3 mobiles 3G network. Their tech people couldn't explain why, all they would say is that it doesn't work.

Anyway at least PPTP passthrough works on the Thompson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

I have this thomson router and port forwarding is not working. Anyone else have this issue? I enter the ports etc, enable and apply, but when i use sites to check the port is open they say its closed.

Worked fine when i tried it earlier this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

I have this thomson router and port forwarding is not working. Anyone else have this issue? I enter the ports etc, enable and apply, but when i use sites to check the port is open they say its closed.

Worked fine when i tried it earlier this year.
    Have you rebooted the router then tried the check?

Advertisement