Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New UPC 100mb Thomson TWG870UIR Router

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sorry if this has been asked already, but how do I figure out what is generating traffic to/from my router?

On that router, you don't. You'd have to monitor on the devices themselves.
    doodio wrote: »
    How can I get 300mbps wireless from this router? the max I'm seeing is 144 with my wireless n devices....

300Mbps Wifi is a pipe dream, it's not realistically going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Maic

Hey guys,

Maybe one of you can help me. I got a new Nokia Lumia 800 from amazon.de today. I can connect to my network easily, but when I open some applications the router does some kind of quick restart (it takes 1-2 minutes to come back on). It always crashes and I cant get past it.

What I tried:
    1)Cabled another wireless router on top of this one and connecting to it => same result
    2)Tested in an Eircom network and its working with no restart or anything => so the apps + phone works fine

Any ideas? Is there any proper logs somewhere? It must be some kind of internal filter or whatever because it`s not the Wireless part that seem to fail ...

ta

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Maic wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Maybe one of you can help me. I got a new Nokia Lumia 800 from amazon.de today. I can connect to my network easily, but when I open some applications the router does some kind of quick restart (it takes 1-2 minutes to come back on). It always crashes and I cant get past it.

What I tried:
    1)Cabled another wireless router on top of this one and connecting to it => same result
    2)Tested in an Eircom network and its working with no restart or anything => so the apps + phone works fine

Any ideas? Is there any proper logs somewhere? It must be some kind of internal filter or whatever because it`s not the Wireless part that seem to fail ...

ta

Yeah, its a issue with the router alright.

Alot of people are experiancing issues like this with the Thomson router/modem.

Basically(a supervisor technician told me this) The modem gets mixed up and things the data connection is called for a restart of the modem.

Not sure if there is a fix and there was word on a firmware upgrade, but seems like it was a myth.

At this point all i can suggest is tinkering with your wireless settings, as it does seem this error happens more with wireless devices but isn't exclusive to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Just had this installed - needing to have a Dynamic DNS service added like a had on my Netgear...

Am I missing something or am I correct in saying this box hasn't an option for this??

Cheers in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Just had this installed - needing to have a Dynamic DNS service added like a had on my Netgear...

Am I missing something or am I correct in saying this box hasn't an option for this??

Cheers in advance

go to the network tab on the admin page

on the left ddns

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 midtower

GEO147 wrote: »
    If you have any other clients (computers/laptops etc) connected viq Wireless G 54mbps it will drag the overall speed of the router back to 144. Also, I believe you need your wireless card set to abgn so that it can utilise the A & G channels to obtain 300.

What is it with the 144 mbps (mine is actually much faster at 144.5 ) Why 144 rather than 143 or 146? or the 300 mbps that it says on the tin?
    I have the Thomson router. I have to say that I have few problems, touch wood. I have the 50 meg UPC. If the broadband is 50 mbps, what would be the benefit of of having wifi at more than 144 mbps? As I understand it, I am not going to get anything like 50 mbps out of the 50 meg broadband anyway.
    Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

midtower wrote: »
    What is it with the 144 mbps (mine is actually much faster at 144.5 ) Why 144 rather than 143 or 146? or the 300 mbps that it says on the tin?
    I have the Thomson router. I have to say that I have few problems, touch wood. I have the 50 meg UPC. If the broadband is 50 mbps, what would be the benefit of of having wifi at more than 144 mbps? As I understand it, I am not going to get anything like 50 mbps out of the 50 meg broadband anyway.
    Regards

You would benefit from internal traffic on your WLAN. e.g. transfers between computers, steaming to some media box etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I'm sick and tired with the thomson router on 100Mb link (WOL problems, no ssh, no remote management). I'm looking for hands-on experience of someone who replaced it with something else (not possible afaik) or who uses a second router connected to the thomson box.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I'm sick and tired with the thomson router on 100Mb link (WOL problems, no ssh, no remote management). I'm looking for hands-on experience of someone who replaced it with something else (not possible afaik) or who uses a second router connected to the thomson box.

Your just another person on a growing list of unsatisfied 100mb customers. So far UPC has been replacing the Thompson with a Cisco model which has an even worse wireless range and the same lack of functionality.

Your options are to keep hassling UPC and pray they release the modem only option available in europe that's been mentioned in this thread.

I'm on my third thompson at the moment, it's beyond a joke and completely unsatisfactory. They just need to accept the equipment provided is absolute junk and that while speeds have increased they've actually taken a step backwords because of all the router problems.

LoGiE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

My Thompson was having a lot of problems so they replaced it... with a Thompson which has the exact same problems.

Distributing a restrictive router where they want to limit the powers of customers to segment their markets is one thing but this router can't even perform normally within its limits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

So far, still haven't come across any major issues with my Thomson/TP-Link 1043ND(x2)/Edimax setup, so it's pretty strange to hear of these problems tbh.

Let me elaborate it a bit more. If I were a normal user I'd say that that thomson is OK. The connection is stable, I'm sitting 5m from it, I get over 95Mb/s on wire and 45Mb/s on wifi. Now my problems - I'm a bit more advanced user :cool: and I want:
    - wake-on-lan
    - remote management that works (there is an option, but doesn't work)
    - ssh access (it's there but blocked, possibly for UPC use only)
    - possibly I'd like to have a wired modem, so I don't have to set up new router every time I change broadband provider.

I'm glad that ddns works :D

Anyone tried to use router mac spoofing to get a non-thomson working with UPC? Would it be enough or they do more sophisticated checks before allowing connection?

roast wrote: »
    So far, still haven't come across any major issues with my Thomson/TP-Link 1043ND(x2)/Edimax setup, so it's pretty strange to hear of these problems tbh.

roast, you have the thomson only as a modem?

Can you send some more details (bridge mode, DMZ)?

Do you have dd-wrt on it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Hi roast,

The problems with this router have been well documented in this thread and acknowleged by the UPC installers that have called out with replacements. The most common issue seems to be reboots when devices connect wirelessly or in some cases wired.

I'm hoping you will agree that your setup would not be a normal setup for most users of the 100mb service and if you haven't experienced trouble it's because you've made a number of technical work arounds to avoid using the thomsons routing and wifi capabilities.

I'm looking for a) An option of a modem only (Like the old 20mb Service) so I can plug my own router in without fecking around with the DMZ etc.
    OR A decent router with good wireless coverage, no random reboots and good functionality.

PrzemoF wrote: »
    roast, you have the thomson only as a modem?

Can you send some more details (bridge mode, DMZ)?

Do you have dd-wrt on it?

Here is my tutorial:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71665694&postcount=452
    LoGiE wrote: »
    Hi roast,

The problems with this router have been well documented in this thread and acknowleged by the UPC installers that have called out with replacements. The most common issue seems to be reboots when devices connect wirelessly or in some cases wired.

I'm hoping you will agree that your setup would not be a normal setup for most users of the 100mb service and if you haven't experienced trouble it's because you've made a number of technical work arounds to avoid using the thomsons routing and wifi capabilities.

I'm looking for a) An option of a modem only (Like the old 20mb Service) so I can plug my own router in without fecking around with the DMZ etc.
    OR A decent router with good wireless coverage, no random reboots and good functionality.

My setup definitely wouldn't be a common one, but I still do use the Thomsons routing and wifi functions for certain devices and applications. I just find it strange I haven't come across the issues myself in the ~1yr or so that I've had the server (and the same modem!)

UPC NL already offer such solutions (as in, a modem only), it's only a matter of time before UPC Ireland follow suit. This is the DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem used by UPC NL for the 50-100mb service. Simply a modem.
    I expect UPC Ireland are going to be issuing these as an alternative to the EPC3925 and the Thomson TWG870UIR sooner, rather than later, to accommodate the customers who want to use their own router as opposed to using DMZ mode.

I still do think the best workaround (and the easiest) is to purchase a good-quality router, and hang it off the Thomson in DMZ. Doesn't have to be an expensive add on too - This is my one, which I have two of, and they're excellent, quality routers - flashable with DD-WRT/OpenWRT/Tomato etc. if you feel you want even more functionality.

A dedicated, good brand router will provide much better functionality than the Thomson modem ever would - Even if it were to work to full capacity.

thanks roast!
    Pixmania have those routers for 50 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 anxiousone

Hey, I am new to UPC. I just got UPC tv package with a 100 mb speed broadband. Recived a cisco 3925, conected everything as I should.However I get very low and different speeds that tend to go up and go down on different devices. My sgs2 phone sometimes gets the highest (30) Mbs my pc using wireless berly gets 10, sometimes. And when I pluge it to the ethernet cable just to see what is the maximum speed the result I get is 4 Mbs. Tried every solution to fix it nothing helped. Any ideas what could it be? Could the router it self be defected? I still have the cooldown period, so should I just cancel it? I see that many people have problems with UPC. Any solutions? Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Monotype wrote: »
    No, they wouldn't even give me a day or a date. :( ......... :mad:

Because that date for a new fw is NEVER :D

According to upc nl forums the continue to replace the modems.
    However, the upc rep over there claims that they are working on a new fw...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I suppose to keep everyone from asking for a new modem for a few more weeks? They gave me another Thomson but it's still broken in the same way - i.e., the wireless is unusable in many ways. I just couldn't be bothered moaning back to them now after being over an hour pissing away time with customer service, looking at the last phone bill.

Piece of **** seems to lose its settings after about two weeks too so this is worse than the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Is anyone else's Thomson router giving static shocks? Every time I touch the back of it to switch it off (basically I touch the metal base of one of the aerials) I get a big static shock. I'm kinda worried about it to be honest.

I also had big problems with wireless, some devices connect some don't etc etc. I just use it as a 'modem' now with my good router as a DMZ IP in the Thomson. This kinda works but there is issues with port forwarding on some ports for some reason :rolleyes:

Please, please UPC just give a modem only option (this would be cheaper both hardware and support wise). I'm half thinking of downgrading my service to 20MB from 50MB just to get the old modem only option.

• Advertisement

user1842 wrote: »
    Is anyone else's Thomson router giving static shocks? Every time I touch the back of it to switch it off (basically I touch the metal base of one of the aerials) I get a big static shock. I'm kinda worried about it to be honest.

Try it in a different plug socket, remove it from extension leads etc.
    If you're still getting shocks, return it to UPC.
    I also had big problems with wireless, some devices connect some don't etc etc. I just use it as a 'modem' now with my good router as a DMZ IP in the Thomson. This kinda works but there is issues with port forwarding on some ports for some reason :rolleyes:

What issues are you having with the port forwarding?
    Please, please UPC just give a modem only option (this would be cheaper both hardware and support wise). I'm half thinking of downgrading my service to 20MB from 50MB just to get the old modem only option.

If UPC Ireland follow UPC NL's route (which I'd be confident they would) then there should be a modem released at some stage.

Try it in a different plug socket, remove it from extension leads etc.
    If you're still getting shocks, return it to UPC.

Cheers I tried this, still getting shocks. Will return it when I get a chance just wondering is it a common fault
    What issues are you having with the port forwarding?

Its basically with one game to be honest and its an old one (AOM, Titans). Certain ports need to be forwarded. The ports are forwarded on my router and my routers IP is in the Thomson's DMZ but its just not working.

It also does not work when I connect directly to the Thompson and forward the ports on it. So im stumped to be honest.

Whats really strange is that port forwarding port 80 so I can access my NAS does work (NAS has built in DDNS)

I got around it by using HTTP tunneling software Hamachi but I should not have to.

It did work perfectly on the old UPC modem only option. I know this because the only change in my setup in the past year was the Thomson router.

Cheers I tried this, still getting shocks. Will return it when I get a chance just wondering is it a common fault

I don't think those devices have a earth ground (Ill look when I get home) so sometimes it can be a common issue with devices of that nature. Do you ever have that issue with other devices? Eg. static shocks on Laptops?
    Its basically with one game to be honest and its an old one (AOM, Titans). Certain ports need to be forwarded. The ports are forwarded on my router and my routers IP is in the Thomson's DMZ but its just not working.

It also does not work when I connect directly to the Thompson and forward the ports on it. So im stumped to be honest.

Whats really strange is that port forwarding port 80 so I can access my NAS does work (NAS has built in DDNS)

I got around it by using HTTP tunneling software Hamachi but I should not have to.

It did work perfectly on the old UPC modem only option. I know this because the only change in my setup in the past year was the Thomson router.

Some of those ports require both TCP and UDP protocols to be forwarded. Instead of selecting "both", can you set up a separate rule for each TCP and UDP port? I've noticed issues like that in the past, although it's not common. Try it and see anyway. :)

I don't think those devices have a earth ground (Ill look when I get home) so sometimes it can be a common issue with devices of that nature. Do you ever have that issue with other devices? Eg. static shocks on Laptops?

I get shocks off my car but never before off a electronic device.
    Some of those ports require both TCP and UDP protocols to be forwarded. Instead of selecting "both", can you set up a separate rule for each TCP and UDP port? I've noticed issues like that in the past, although it's not common. Try it and see anyway. :)

Cheers for this will try it out.

looks like UPC has been busy rolling out new fw. I'm on v1.5 for the past few weeks. I've noticed a few phone issues of late, but that may have been due to network glitches and not router issus.

The reason why I think UPC has pushed out a v1.5 to wide audience or has released a non version changing fw (as suggested by other users before) is because i used to be able to pick up tons of those "upc_multimedia" networks (and login) with my iphone whilest walking around town and sitting on the bus... all those have dissapeared over the last two to three weeks or so. maybe they got replaced by all those <hidden networks> , but as I never paid attention to those, maybe they were always there.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I was having trouble making outbound calls , Engineer called out and switched me over to a Cisco EPC3925 . No questions asked .

I had massive dropouts. could't understand much - inbound or outbound call. also with voicemail.

or they've switched ppl over to Cisco box... didn't think of that...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Question for you Roast, if and when UPC Ireland roll out modem only to their Irish customers is there another modem similar to the one you linked to that would also provide RJ11 connectors for their phone service?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm finidng this thread interesting.

It would appear the DHCP is a piece of **** on this router.

I've been finding when I come home and my phone connects to the network automatically, or I turn my PC on, the net will act up for about 10 minutes. It would appear from reading logs its having a hissy trying to organise the DHCP.

This is really my only gripe, but there might be some major issues I'm not encountering

What are the main problems people are encountering that are causing them to look into these alternatives?

I mainly game and download and watch stream content, while streaming myself.

At any given time there is probably 5-6 devices on the network.

Wondering what sort of improvements or problems this will resolve before going through the effort.

• Advertisement

Question for you Roast, if and when UPC Ireland roll out modem only to their Irish customers is there another modem similar to the one you linked to that would also provide RJ11 connectors for their phone service?

There is. I'll dig out the model number when I get home, I can't remember off the top of my head.
    TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm finidng this thread interesting.

It would appear the DHCP is a piece of **** on this router.

I've been finding when I come home and my phone connects to the network automatically, or I turn my PC on, the net will act up for about 10 minutes. It would appear from reading logs its having a hissy trying to organise the DHCP.

This is really my only gripe, but there might be some major issues I'm not encountering

What are the main problems people are encountering that are causing them to look into these alternatives?

I mainly game and download and watch stream content, while streaming myself.

At any given time there is probably 5-6 devices on the network.

Wondering what sort of improvements or problems this will resolve before going through the effort.

Why not assign IP's by MAC address?

Advertisement