Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New UPC 100mb Thomson TWG870UIR Router

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

ignore, my own stupidity it was an issue with the pc i wanted to connect to and not the router

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jackdalad23

Hi all. I recently upgraded to 100mb broadband from UPC. I then moved the modem to downstairs so I could connect my PS3 wired. When I do a connection test my PS3 is only picking up 2- 6 mb ??
    Is this normal ? Is there any way I can speed this up ? Any advice is appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Are you looking at Mb (Megabits) or MB (Megabytes)?

1MB = 8Mb
    So 6MB = 48Mb, which would be around half the potential speed, which isn't bad, depending on where you are downloading from. I wouldn't be familiar with the PS3 tests to ascertain whether that's actually a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

sorry to be rude and not read the whole thread.

Is the UPC router's wifi capable of reaching the third floor of a three storey house?

My house only has one upc outlet downstairs and the unused outlet for telephone/cable in master bedroom has only a eircom cat 5 cable in it. I need to check with foreman if the upc cable fell down or wasn't wired in. I was going to go with Eircom broadband as I had them in previous home and wanted to keep my phone number but Eircom said they have to do some cabling work in the area to connect me and have no eta.

So i have a choose of chancing broadband with UPC and hoping the router wifi has enough strength or waiting for eircom and knowing my exisiting router has full signal on top floor?

The wireless on the UPC router is bad for numerous reasons. Why not use the Cat 5 cable and connect an access point to it? Or better yet, just use the cable itself or homeplugs for a wired connection.

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    The wireless on the UPC router is bad for numerous reasons. Why not use the Cat 5 cable and connect an access point to it? Or better yet, just use the cable itself or homeplugs for a wired connection.

Are homeplugs reliable?

More reliable than wireless for the most part. For consistency especially but often speed too. It could depend on the story with your wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you haven't already got UPC then you can just tell the installer where to put the connection for the router that suits your needs and get him to stick it in the middle of the house on the middle floor to get the best coverage you can around the house.

another option would be homeplugs and/or wireless range extenders to cover any gaps in the wireless signal if need be.

the other other option would be to get a decent wireless router of your own and just use the UPC one as a glorified modem (which is what i'm currently doing).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

My ping and jitter is shocking bad. Ive only checked it the last few days because Im back playing call of duty but its probably been like that since I upgraded to 50mb and got the Thompson in summer 2011.
    Is there a firmware upgrade for it that could help? Should I just order the new cisco from upc or what??

Thanks

Sorry to go off-topic,

But do UPC self install routers come with a splitter? The outlet has two connections but I assume one is still FM like the old cablelink/NTL boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

Sorry to go off-topic,

But do UPC self install routers come with a splitter? The outlet has two connections but I assume one is still FM like the old cablelink/NTL boxes.

Yes they come with a splitter and you are correct re FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

Inquitus wrote: »

The Thompson is on 192.168.11.7 set manually

Inq

Can I ask how you set the Thomson IP manually! I have tried to change from the default 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.254 so all the rest of my manually set devices (192.168.1.xxx) won't have to all be reconfigured on the network.

I get an error saying "One or more parameters are incorrect" or similar. When I called UPC they just gave me the stock answer of "The Thomson router we provide cannot have it's IP address changed."

Obviously UPC have this locked as the option wouldn't be available in the router settings and if it was made to just have an IP of .0.1 Thomson would be making a router that is narrowing it's potential customer market.

I can understand to a degree why UPC may have it locked, so if you call Tech Support they know to direct you to 192.168.0.1 to access the settings rather than the IP being any number of others and it taking half a day for them to explain to you how to access it, but I'm fairly tech savvy with this stuff so will remember what the IP I assign to it is so should I need Tech Support can access the settings!

Any help appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Try harder: I have the router set to 192.168.1.1

I'll post more info later when I get home.

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Try harder: I have the router set to 192.168.1.1

Helpful!!

I have tried all sorts of different IP's and get the same error. Maybe you have an older firmware than me that allows it or perhaps you log in using higher level access username / password that allows different settings to be altered.

The fact UPC told me it can't be changed leads me to believe the firmware may have been changed. I only got this router 2 weeks ago so it's a fairly new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

I always change the settings on any new router to match what the devices in my home use, as it's the quickest way to get things set back up.

Got my Cisco Epc3925 replaced just over a week ago and went for the Thomson again, and had no problems changing it's ip from it's default to 192.168.***.110 and then changing the start lease and end lease to 192.168.***.111 __ 192.168.***.130 in the network / lan page.

My Thomson is showing the following :

Standard Specification Compliant

DOCSIS 3.0
    Hardware Version
    Software Version
    STBA.01.50

btw is .254 not the last ip the router can give out?

This is what I want to do to save me the hassle of reconfiguring every other device :(

Yes .254 is the last IP you can do. Only going to do that as my old router was set this way. Would settle for 192.168.1.anything..... I have tried lots of variants though, .1, .200, .213 etc. Everytime it tells me "One of more parameter cannot be changed" or similar. Must check software version when I'm home!

Information
    Standard Specification Compliant DOCSIS 3.0
    Hardware Version 1.1
    Software Version STBA.01.50

In Netwrok/LAN:

IP 192.168.1.1

Thanks all for the posts.

I have the same hardware version and firmware so I'm at a loss as to why I get this error.

Exact wording is "Error converting one or more entries:"

Total pain in the a**e!

I might make a backup of the settings of my routes and upload it here if you're brave enough to make a restore from it on yours :D

Have you tried factory reset?

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I might make a backup of the settings of my routes and upload it here if you're brave enough to make a restore from it on yours :D

Have you tried factory reset?

That would be GREAT! I'll PM you my email!

Factory reset is no use as the default IP is 192.168.0.1

Wonder if I backup mine and edit the file using TextEdit or similar will that do the trick?! Must try when I get home :)

• Advertisement

Backup sent. Please report back if it works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ps200306

Pardon me for piggybacking on this thread -- I'm having a problem which may be TWG870UIR related. Have had 50 Mb UPC broadband for about a year, and it initially seemed problem free. Then one laptop user started to report internet disconnections when using wireless, but problem was always fixed immediately when disconnecting/reconnecting to the wireless.

Then I started having problems on another laptop when using a particular piece of courseware. It would disconnect from its server, but always managed to reconnect on a retry. Since this was happening upstairs from the router, I suspected wireless range problems with the TWG870UIR, particular because the courseware seemed to be well behaved when closer to the router.

So, I set up a separate wireless router -- a Linksys/Cisco WAG120N -- following the guidelines here. Had a couple of initial problems with having DHCP running on both routers - two laptops picked up IP addresses from different routers and only one could access the internet. So I ended up leaving wireless disabled and DHCP enabled on the UPC Thompson router, and wireless enabled and DHCP disabled on the Linksys. So far so good.

But I started seeing apparent disconnects again. So, I left a continuous ping to OpenDNS (8.8.8.8) running in a command window and waited for a disconnect to occur. Sure enough, eventually browser started being unable to connect to any website. Strange thing was, though, that ping was still working fine in command window. Disconnecting from wireless and reconnecting fixed the problem.

Then I tried again. Left ping running and used browser until it stopped working. Ping was still fine. Now instead of disconnecting from wireless and reconnecting I released and renewed the DHCP lease (manually from command line). Again, the problem was fixed. But the DHCP leases seem normal with expiration dates a week ahead. Here's an ipconfig:

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 100
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 78-92-9C-46-0C-38
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::6865:8680:e00f:3910%12(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.15(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 02 February 2013 11:07:48
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 09 February 2013 11:07:47
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 309891740
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-16-4F-42-F2-54-04-A6-3C-24-15
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 89.101.160.5
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

So now I'm flummoxed. What I first thought was a wireless problem isn't, but it turns out it's not an apparent cable problem either. I can't see any pattern to the interruptions either -- sometimes they happen every few minutes, sometimes not for ages. And they seem to affect http but not pings. Anyone have any ideas?

P.S. Thompson router had been running for 77 days since last restart according to its status page, so I rebooted just in case, but didn't fix anything.

Try a different DNS or try to open a page using IP address. [boards.ie = 89.234.66.108]
    If that works it's a DNS problem. Working ping = connection is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ps200306

Thanks PrzemoF -- will check that out. Problem hasn't recurred in two days so far but will keep an eye out.

Hey PrzemoF

Tried to restore your settings but wouldn't allow me. Must be encrypted data for your particular router or something to stop it. Still no response from UPC as to why I can't change the IP myself!

Thanks anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

If I want the "network tests" in uTorrent to work correctly I have to set the router firewall protection to "low."

Not ideal security-wise I'm assuming.

Anyone know how to have the router firewall protection set to "high" and also have the utorrent network tests working smoothly?

The wifi only gets used once a day or so on mine for a couple of minutes.
    It'd be handy to have some way to enable wifi on the router only when you need it, from your wifi device, without having to log into the admin pages via an ethernet connected pc.
    More secure (router wifi active for much less time per day) and a saving on power too.

seeing_ie wrote: »
    If I want the "network tests" in uTorrent to work correctly I have to set the router firewall protection to "low."

Not ideal security-wise I'm assuming.

Anyone know how to have the router firewall protection set to "high" and also have the utorrent network tests working smoothly?

The wifi only gets used once a day or so on mine for a couple of minutes.
    It'd be handy to have some way to enable wifi on the router only when you need it, from your wifi device, without having to log into the admin pages via an ethernet connected pc.
    More secure (router wifi active for much less time per day) and a saving on power too.

You would have to open ports in your router for uTorrent in the forwarding page under advanced.

OPen uTor and check in preferences/connections what your port is. Then tick/untick randomly change port so that it stays the same. Then just open the port on router to match uTor port. You might want to set a static IP for your pc/laptop also so that it doesnt change either.

RE wifi, is there not a button on the side to enable/disable wifi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

does anyone know if it possible to get a thompson from UPC anymore?
    just signed back up after a 4 month break while moving house and theyve sent me a useless looking all in one cisco box. seem to be getting terrible wifi signal from it and the thompson never had any issues :(:(

quite annoyed as i was one of the first 100mb customers in ireland and didnt want to give the thompson back when i moved out in case this happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emy

I got an email for UPC asking me to upgrade from 30 Mb to 50Mb , at no extra monthly cost...as usual from UPC, everything is free :)...."All you need to pay is a one-off equipment cost of €22.50 to cover a new modem capable of handling the additional speed- and future-proofing you for further speed upgrades in the years to come. Please note that you will be entering into a new 12-month contract with UPC by accepting this FREE Upgrade offer. ..They are going to change the one I have EPC 2425, with a better one?

• Advertisement

My modem recently upgraded to firmware version 1.73 and had been running really really well. Then yesterday I had a power cut in the house and on reboot the modem reverted to firmware version 1.50??

Anyone experience this before and anyone any idea how to get it back to version 1.73?

Advertisement