Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 130 - May 28th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The novelty of Roy Nelson is really starting to wear off on me. just seems like he's giving a big fúck you to the fighters that train hard for hours and hours to get themselves ready for fights.

Was very impressed with Stann once again.

I flinched a little bit at the way Struve landed when he took that superman punch. Looked like a very unnatural landing.

Rampage V Hamill wasn't a great main event at all. Very one sided. Didn't realise that Hamill is deaf. Was always going to be at a disadvantage seeing as he wouldn't be able to hear his corner shouting instructions at him during the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

I agree exactly that the novelty of Nelson has wore off. As DW said in his post fight interview with the little mermaid "The fat thing was funny for a while but not for a co-main event" I think it reflects really badly on the sport. From an outsider point of view it looks like some freak show fight like when Butterbean used to compete. I know Nelson is very talented and is by no means a freak show but he just has a poor attitude. Even on TUF 10 he had a very poor attitude and I imagine a lot of dedicated guys get frustrated by his lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Xlami wrote: »
    I agree exactly that the novelty of Nelson has wore off. As DW said in his post fight interview with the little mermaid "The fat thing was funny for a while but not for a co-main event" I think it reflects really badly on the sport. From an outsider point of view it looks like some freak show fight like when Butterbean used to compete. I know Nelson is very talented and is by no means a freak show but he just has a poor attitude. Even on TUF 10 he had a very poor attitude and I imagine a lot of dedicated guys get frustrated by his lifestyle.

what? he was one of the nicer guys on the show :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Poor card last night I thought. Alves seemed out of his element and Mir was just too well rounded for Nelson. I'm glad Rampage won but he looks past his best now, very hesitant to engage unless he's countering and not doing a whole lot of damage when he does. I think Jones will have far too much for him if that fight happens.

The Struve knockout was very nice but I like Struve so was sad to see it happen but he will be back and it looks like we have a new name in the mix in the fairly shallow HW division with Browne.

Highlight of the show for me was that it began it 11:45pm and ended at around 4:20am or so which bodes well for the future. Feels like a novelty having gotten out of bed at a reasonable hour this morning despite being up and watching a whole UFC event live. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,679 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Beaming with Mir, I was fully sure Nelson was gonna catch him on the chin. Country looked awful coming into the 3rd, pity Frank couldn't finish it. Interesting to see who Frank will be put against next.

Not a fan of skyscraper at all so was beaming he got beat as well.

Ah well, only 2 weeks to UFC 131. Carwin and JDS should be some fight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Nelson loses again he'll be cut.

Very low interest thread, this to do with champions league? or overall lack of interest in the card itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I had to cut off early due to bad take away and funeral this morning but yeah it was a lot quieter than usual.

I've watched super-hyped cards before that weren't as entertaining as last night, some very good fights thru prelims, Main event was a little disappointing, but all credit to Hamil he took Page's best shots, no shame in that performance. I did expect him to score a few takedowns but rampage was just so stout last night, that was the element that most impressed me about his performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭lankysexybeast

anyone have a stream of it ??? cant find one and havnt watched it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Overall impressions of the event was disappointing to be honest.
    Stann put in an impressive performance and was probably the best of the night. Rick Story impressed too.
    I'm sick of seeing Roy Nelson in the UFC to be honest. I just don't think he's good enough. The only reason he's still there is that he's a novelty fighter. All he has to offer is a knockout punch and the ability to take punishment. He's never gonna be a contender in the UFC and there's prob more deserving fighters who'd love to be in his position.
    The main event was a let down to be honest. Hamil was useless. He's supposed to be a top wrestler yet his takedown attempts were pathetic. He has virtually no stand up skills. Back to the drawing board for him.
    Rampage seems bored with the sport. He didn't seem to want to be there at all. I know he said he doesn't want to fight after 35 but I think he'll retire even sooner than that. Especially if he gets more acting opportunities. I think Jon Jones would destroy him. Maybe he'll hang on till he gets a title shot and then retire if and when he loses. I hope I'm wrong though cause I'm a fan of his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The Torres, Story and Stann fights were good but the Mir and Rampage fights were pretty poor really. Disappointed Struve lost because i dont see Browne going very far up the ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

i think its safe to say the UFC has peaked, everything is down hill from here

each event is getting gradually worse, there's no denying it, the marketing behemoth that is the UFC has been amazing, but the fights do not match up to the media OVER hype.

terribly boring fights, nothing but wrestlers trying to press guys up against the fence and wearing them out, im sorry lads, but thats not entertaining

this is coming from a guy that saved his balls off to go to UFC 47, so im not one of the "new breed" fans, i like to think i know my Kimura from my Armbar.

i havent seen an exciting event in god knows now, utrer rubbish card. Dana White and the Feritita brothers are taking the piss out of the fans IMO, they're putting on far too many cards, and basically packing them full of mediocre rubbish.

there was a time there a few years ago where boxing was actually worried about the growth of MMA, i think its safe to say they worry no more!!

each event is getting gradually worse, there's no denying it

I thought UFC 129 was an excellent night of fights (except the main event of course)

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    . I'm glad Rampage won but he looks past his best now, very hesitant to engage unless he's countering and not doing a whole lot of damage when he does. I think Jones will have far too much for him if that fight happens.

:pac:

Usually I'm skeptical when fighters use an injury as an excuse for fighting differently but I think Rampages hand must of been fairly badly injured. I've never seen him fight so calculated and so cautious, just counter striking. There must have been a lot of pressure to fight, if he had pulled out that would have been two main events and a disaster for UFC.

To say UFC as an entity has peaked is nonsense, influx of Strikeforce fighters ~ 1/2 years means they still have alot of matches to make, at least in the short term. The best will fight the best, this will lead to the best matchups on cards, I guarantee it... they haven't done too badly thus far.

"Oh sh*t, my foot is stuck!!"

05_Mir_Nelson.jpg

Some other class photos here:

http://www.ufc.com/media/ufc-130-event-photo-gallery#i=1

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Terrible card.
    Matt Hamill and Roy Nelson in a main event?
    Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

jayteecork wrote: »
    Terrible card.
    Matt Hamill and Roy Nelson in a main event?
    Please.

Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I thought UFC 129 was an excellent night of fights (except the main event of course)

+1
    129 was a great card bar gsp/shields

awful impressed with stann and story
    can't wait to see who story gets next myself
    he's the first i've seen to take alves best shots
    and survive, a concrete chin to say the least

big country was useless and even by his standards
    his stamina was awful
    can't imagine he trained very hard unless maybe
    it was the injury that held him up

rampage hamill was painful to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That_Guy wrote: »
    Eh?

you know what he meant ffs

Nelson in Co main, Hamill in main...no need to set out to insult him

• Advertisement

Roy Nelson should be ashamed of himself tbh - wins tuf and get a shot at the big time, and shows up in that sort of condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

jayteecork wrote: »
    Roy Nelson should be ashamed of himself tbh - wins tuf and get a shot at the big time, and shows up in that sort of condition.

he's just big-boned you know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

each event is getting gradually worse, there's no denying it, the marketing behemoth that is the UFC has been amazing, but the fights do not match up to the media OVER hype.

terribly boring fights, nothing but wrestlers trying to press guys up against the fence and wearing them out, im sorry lads, but thats not entertaining

this is coming from a guy that saved his balls off to go to UFC 47, so im not one of the "new breed" fans, i like to think i know my Kimura from my Armbar.

i havent seen an exciting event in god knows now, utrer rubbish card. Dana White and the Feritita brothers are taking the piss out of the fans IMO, they're putting on far too many cards, and basically packing them full of mediocre rubbish.

there was a time there a few years ago where boxing was actually worried about the growth of MMA, i think its safe to say they worry no more!!

I agree with pretty much all of this. We are never going to see fights like Hughes v Newton, Hughes v GSP, Lidddell-Ortiz-Couture, that was the golden age, that was the calibre of what got me into UFC. Fights that really excited you, that you would be looking forward to for weeks on end and talking about for ages afterward. I've gone from watching every fight I could to having a passing interest in the last 2 years or so. Unless GSP fights Anderson Silva i'm just not excited by it at the moment. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Gorey_R

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I agree with pretty much all of this. We are never going to see fights like Hughes v Newton, Hughes v GSP, Lidddell-Ortiz-Couture, that was the golden age, that was the calibre of what got me into UFC. Fights that really excited you, that you would be looking forward to for weeks on end and talking about for ages afterward. I've gone from watching every fight I could to having a passing interest in the last 2 years or so. Unless GSP fights Anderson Silva i'm just not excited by it at the moment. Sorry

The next time i look at one of these threads it'll be because I'm looking for the motivation to kill myself.

I do understand your complaint but I feel part of it may just be nothing but looking back on past events nostalgically. For instance some fans will always feel that the UFC will never be able to replicate Pride for entertainment. And also people who think we'll never see people like Hughes/Liddell etc. again. I agree the past UFC events had some belters on them and great memories but I also think the sport has grown and fighters have evolved. While there is currently a trend of wrestlers in the UFC I think this will pass. I mean with exciting guys like Jones, Anderson Silva, Cain Velasquez, Erik Koch, Lauzon to name just a few I don't see how you don't look forward to cards. Ok UFC 130 was a poor card and you may feel recent cards have been poor; it's a matter of opinion. But just because football had a poor World Cup doesn't mean the sport is dieing or anything. I am very excited by the UFC's summer cards and think they're are some great fights. I'm obviously not saying your not an MMA fan but as an MMA fan I'm very excited about fights like Barry Vs Kongo, Leben Vs Silva, G-Sot Vs Dos Anjos and Forrest Vs Rua 2. I don't understand how people aren't looking forward to these events.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

LMFAO

Yeah, nobody was dying to see;
    HW - Lesnar v Cain, or nobody wants to see Cain v JDS
    LHW - Machida v Rua 2 was jugely awaited, as was Rua v Bones. The whole world is wait to see who is going to step up to fight Bones next?
    MW - The upset that never was as Silva v Sonnen, the "i'm still the boss" kick to the face of Vitor, the potential Sonnen rematch
    WW - GSP v Silva superfight if it happens, the more likely match will be nick Diaz superfight. Undisputed champion anyone
    LW - BJ v Edgar 1 and 2, Edgar v Maynard 2, Edgar v Maynard 3
    FW - Aldo in the UFC! Upcoming fight with Mendez
    BW - BW fightes in the UFC full stop!! THe rematch between Cruz and Faber (the only guy to stop Cruz), this time for Cruz's belt, at his weight

so, that's a recent fight and an upcoming fight in everyone division that was great, or has people looking forward to that.

Past it's prime, GTFO

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mellor wrote: »
    Past it's prime, GTFO

Agreed. 130 wasn't even that bad an event and people are writing obituaries. :rolleyes:

Mellor wrote: »
    LMFAO

Yeah, nobody was dying to see;
    HW - Lesnar v Cain, or nobody wants to see Cain v JDS
    LHW - Machida v Rua 2 was jugely awaited, as was Rua v Bones. The whole world is wait to see who is going to step up to fight Bones next?
    MW - The upset that never was as Silva v Sonnen, the "i'm still the boss" kick to the face of Vitor, the potential Sonnen rematch
    WW - GSP v Silva superfight if it happens, the more likely match will be nick Diaz superfight. Undisputed champion anyone
    LW - BJ v Edgar 1 and 2, Edgar v Maynard 2, Edgar v Maynard 3
    FW - Aldo in the UFC! Upcoming fight with Mendez
    BW - BW fightes in the UFC full stop!! THe rematch between Cruz and Faber (the only guy to stop Cruz), this time for Cruz's belt, at his weight

so, that's a recent fight and an upcoming fight in everyone division that was great, or has people looking forward to that.

Past it's prime, GTFO

Let's not forget the potential of Jon Bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I think it's the fact that I had very low expectations for this card, but I actually thought it wasn't too bad, enjoyed both Stann & Story, thought the Struve knockout was great (and awful at the same time) Tibau's sub was pretty decent....

I actually loved seeing Rampage knock the **** out of Hamil, thought he looked faster (in round 1 & 2) just a shame he could not finish him.

Thought Mir looked decent enough, especially after that snoozefest of him & Cro-Cop... I thought Mir could have finished him at the end with the Elbows, but chose not to as he was clearly winning and also could have seriously hurt him, not too sure how I feel about that, would be great to see a proper finish but you understand his hesitation.

S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

The injury list for UFC just gets bigger and bigger..........
    UFC 130 medical suspensions: Jackson, Mir, Stann, Santiago face six-month layoffs

UFC 130's list of walking wounded was lengthy, and five fighters from this past weekend's card face medical suspensions of up to six months.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today requested and received the list of suspensions from the Nevada State Athletic Commissions.

The potential half-year suspensions went to main-event winner Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, co-main-event winner Frank Mir, main-card fighters Brian Stann and Jorge Santiago, and preliminary-card competitor Michael McDonald.

UFC 130 took place this past Saturday, May 28, at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The night's main card aired on pay-per-view, and the preliminary card aired on Spike TV and streamed on Facebook.

Surprisingly, Santiago was the only losing fighter on the list of lengthy suspensions.

The full list includes:
    • Quinton "Rampage" Jackson: Must have have left hand X-rayed, and if injured, suspended until Nov. 25, though he can be cleared by an orthopedic doctor; regardless, suspended with no contact during training until June 28
    • Frank Mir: Suspended until Nov. 25 due to possible rib injuries, though he can be cleared by a doctor; regardless, suspended until June 28 with no contact until June 19
    • Stefan Struve: Suspended until July 28 with no contact until July 13 for precautionary reasons
    • Brian Stann: Must have have right thumb X-rayed, and if injured, suspended until Nov. 25, though he can be cleared by an orthopedic doctor; regardless, suspended until June 28 with no contact until June 19
    • Jorge Santiago: Suspended until Nov. 25 due to a possible left-orbital injury, though he can be cleared early by an ENT doctor or ophthalmologist
    • Rafaello Oliveira: Suspended until July 28 with no contact until July 13 for precautionary reasons
    • Michael McDonald: Suspended until Nov. 25 due to a possible shoulder injury, though he can be cleared early by orthopedic doctor; regardless, suspended until July 28 with no contact until July 13 for precautionary reasons

Advertisement