Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 130 - May 28th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Difficult to call alot of these fights.

The only one I'm fairly confident on is that Alves will TKO Ricky Story. In theory, Rampage should beat Hamill but that's still tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

This interview with Rampage is worth watching: Link

I could see that Rampage got a lot of stick for this interview but for fans who have been watching him since Pride they would know that he acts this way during interviews all the time, even more when the interview is around the time of his fight, he's pumped up and ready to fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Even with the loss of the ME its still a great card

My predictions,

Light Heavyweight bout: Quinton Jackson vs. Matt Hamill
    Heavyweight bout: Frank Mir vs. Roy Nelson
    Heavyweight bout: Stefan Struve vs. Travis Browne
    Welterweight bout: Thiago Alves vs. Rick Story
    Middleweight bout: Brian Stann vs. Jorge Santiago
    [edit] Preliminary card (Spike TV)Bantamweight bout: Miguel Torres vs. Demetrious Johnson
    Middleweight bout: Kendall Grove vs. Tim Boetsch

Fight of the night: Torres v Johnson

(I think Mir is the better fighter, but Roy has a chance. TBH i'm only picking him as i've a bet on him and I don't like Mir at all)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Yeah its a decent card and should be a good night of fights.

Brian Stann v Santiago is my prediction for fight of the night, the americans will hype it up big sytle with memorial weekend and him an ex Marine. Hope Struve can pull out a win. Nelson v Mir is going to be close, I'm going to take Mir, Nelson just comming off an injury and a loss not sure he can get his previous momentum going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

I've put a €10 AC on the below fights - My head says rampage but there is just something that tells me Hamill might take this one.

Quinton Jacksonvs. Matt Hamill
    Thiago Alves
    vs. Rick Story
    Brian Stannvs. Jorge Santiago
    Miguel Torres vs. Demetrious Johnson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

vangoz wrote: »
    I've put a €10 AC on the below fights - My head says rampage but there is just something that tells me Hamill might take this one.

Quinton Jacksonvs. Matt Hamill
    Thiago Alves
    vs. Rick Story
    Brian Stannvs. Jorge Santiago
    Miguel Torres vs. Demetrious Johnson

must be a ridiculously high price.

3 underdogs in this bet.

I know accumulators usually have an upset or 2, but you're asking for a lot!

Nevertheless, best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,679 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

the great lads at Fight Hounds will be holding a live chat room for UFC 130 tomorrow night. I won't be staying up for it tomorrow but hope they get enough people to keep it going for future events

http://fighthounds.com/chat/

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

callaway92 wrote: »
    must be a ridiculously high price.

3 underdogs in this bet.

I know accumulators usually have an upset or 2, but you're asking for a lot!

Nevertheless, best of luck with it
    Alves is a reasonable favourite, Johnson is marginally behind at evens only Jorge is a bit of an underdog

• Registered Users Posts: 29,679 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Weigh in vid. Highlight had to be Country's hairstyle :D

Cmon Mir!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Anyone know what the story is with facebook tonight ? Do not want to miss McDonald but he's second fight on the card.

Impressed with UFC.TV last night for the weigh-ins. Quality adapts to your internet speed, looked like i was watching in HD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is with facebook tonight ? Do not want to miss McDonald but he's second fight on the card.

Impressed with UFC.TV last night for the weigh-ins. Quality adapts to your internet speed, looked like i was watching in HD.

As far as I know they're showing 3 fights from the prelim card on Facebook tonight and another will be shown on Spike instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

sheehy83 wrote: »
    the great lads at Fight Hounds will be holding a live chat room for UFC 130 tomorrow night. I won't be staying up for it tomorrow but hope they get enough people to keep it going for future events

http://fighthounds.com/chat/

Great idea, won't be there for it tonight but hope it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Prelims are streaming now on Yahoo...

Free Prelims Stream - Yahoo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Have a sneaky feeling for hamill dunno why...also keen interest in the alves fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

Prelim video working for anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lil-evil

Any links working out there - mine are working tonight :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Remember guys, http://fighthounds.com/chat/ we're trialing something tonight so lets give it a go.

Stann seems the kinda guy who could win the title in a few years, but due to his style would probably be eaten alive by Silva.

Good stand up in 3rd between Alves and Story

• Advertisement

Stann was damn impressive

Story, likewise

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭IanMc666

lil-evil wrote: »
    Good stand up in 3rd between Alves and Story

My thoughts exactly, some sweet knees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

Struve is ****ing awful standing.

Holy Sh!t
    did you see him bend in half in the air after the Superman punch

Nelson is looking absolutely rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

callaway92 wrote: »
    Nelson is looking absolutely rubbish

He hasnt fought for a year. He has no stamina.

Other than his big right hand i haven't seen anything from Nelson in the UFC. I know he has a high standard BJJ Black belt but with big regular heavy weights on top of him he is never going to be able to use it.

He is always going to be a gatekeeper.:rolleyes:

drayme wrote: »
    He hasnt fought for a year. He has no stamina.

under 11 months ago. . .

wasn't just the stamina...he was sluggish from the start
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

They both weighed 260 at the weigh in...... I don't care what they say about country, you can't be a true pro athlete when you carry so much body fat, he simple didn't have the same fitness level as Mir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Nelson's bodyfat is making up a percentage of the weight he uses to stay grounded at heavy, if he lost it he would be too light for guys like Mir to just manhandle. He could easily make light heavy, baffles me as to why he doesn't shed the weight, or even how he can train professionally but still be overweight. I have absolutely no doubt its holding him back as a fighter, and he cant keep just taking digs, stay standing and accept the loss. He'll be a journeyman at best (what i consider him now) and more likely to face the chop, he is lucky he sparks interest in alot of fans.

Rampage looked good on the off, and the takedown defence speaks for himself. He did tire in the 3rd, his new diet and cardio plan didn't seem as good as it was built up to be. Wonder how much water holds with his story about the fractured hand, anyone convinced? Hamill can take a shot, but its drawing board for him, any possible opponents?

PS. Struve knockout looked un-natural, the loss of balance and arc of his back was just. ouch.:cool:

mid to good card, 6/10, edgar v maynard just starting right now would have been the ticket...

Advertisement