Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You know you're 'getting on a bit' when.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

buzzerxx wrote: »
    you have a special stick put up thats just for stirring paint. (i'm 43)

Even better, I have an old wooden spoon! How's about that then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

You really know you are a bit older when you can remember trying to get things through your mother's mangle.

Personally, my sisters doll's I found easy, but next door's cat was a bit more reluctant. I never did do that by the way I made it up.:pac:

Rubecula wrote: »
    You really know you are a bit older when you can remember trying to get things through your mother's mangle.

Personally, my sisters doll's I found easy, but next door's cat was a bit more reluctant. I never did do that by the way I made it up.:pac:

So you invented the flatpack cat? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

You're a few months away from never being a teenager again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Noticed lately that I've started to sit into my car and then swing my legs in. If that ain't an oul fella thing I don't know what is:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

When you go out to kitchen and make two cups of tea then bring them into the living room only to discover ...you are the only one at home :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Latchy wrote: »
    When you go out to kitchen and make two cups of tea then bring them into the living room only to discover ...you are the only one at home :eek:

Similarly, make a mug of tea and it ends up being made with cold water, because you never heated the kettle. Or even worse you forgot to put a tea bag in it.

Worse still you make your tea with a small bag of pot herbs instead of tea. GAAAH that is truly awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Was walking the dog today in the park and was reciting the latin names of plants (well, the one's I knew anyway!) as I walked past them. That's OAP territory ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

razzler wrote: »
    When you stop looking for friends on facebook and start looking in obituaries.

Whats facebook??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭rebelwoman

when you go to the doctor and you think it must be bring your child to work day and you hope the doctor will come in soon.
    you ask your son to switch off the wireless and he looks at you as if you have two heads
    you search for your hairbrush and eventually find it in the fridge!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Is anyone else dreading the rest of the run up to Christmas? The shops are already clogged, and I get so angry around crowds. The idea of having to sit in traffic a mile away from a shopping centre before you even get near a shop is causing me to break out in a rash. I'm the kinda shopper that knows what I need, go in and get it, then leave. I'm not a browser, so the people that are tend to go around in circles, walking into you like zombies. Don't start me on the crying / hissy fitting children :pac:

I dunno. When I was younger I used to look forward to it all, 'feeling' the Christmas spirit. I only see it as an annoyance and a wallet-raping time of the year.

I'll have my ghosts of Christmas past, present and future now :pac:

Godsentme wrote: »
    Whats facebook??:confused:

It's a 'social networking' website. You can add friends & family, share pictures and video's and what not. It seems to me that two different kinds of people use it.

1) Those that use it in a healthy way, sharing pictures and videos etc., but prefer to talk on the phone, text, or meet up as a means of communicating.

2) Those that use it addictively, and post up all kinds of ridiculous crap about themselves, change their statuses every time they're in and out of relationships, post up attention seeking statements, load up 100 pictures of their weekend (all of themselves doing posey duck lips). They're also the kind that cannot communicate using the English language anymore, you know the sort -

"xxx I luv im 4eva"

I have FB, but use it for reason one. Though you can take it from my tone I'm no fan..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

rebelwoman wrote: »
    when you go to the doctor and you think it must be bring your child to work day and you hope the doctor will come in soon.
    you ask your son to switch off the wireless and he looks at you as if you have two heads
    you search for your hairbrush and eventually find it in the fridge!!

:D This reminds me of my mam. She was constantly mislaying her purse and it always turned up in the maddest of places..like the oven :confused:

Oh it was a great laugh at her expense...now Im doing similar :o:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭rebelwoman

Guess what goes around comes around!!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Similarly, make a mug of tea and it ends up being made with cold water, because you never heated the kettle. Or even worse you forgot to put a tea bag in it.

Worse still you make your tea with a small bag of pot herbs instead of tea. GAAAH that is truly awful.
    Haven't had the expierence yet but when ...if it does happen , I will offcially declare myself as ' Old ' .;)

When you struggle to put names to some of the Ireland soccer team .

Former Ireland manager Jack Charlton was worse and got many of the squad team names wrong refering to ' Liam Brady ' as ' Ian Brady '

(face palm )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Namle

When you prefer going out to lunch than evening meals!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

When you can remember when women wore a roll on.

aujopimur wrote: »

:eek: :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

aujopimur wrote: »
    My brother-in-law used to say he didn't like them because they cut off the blood at the wrist...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Esel wrote: »
    My brother-in-law used to say he didn't like them because they cut off the blood at the wrist...
    Ah! memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Esel wrote: »

Am I correct in thinking from your post that your brother-in-law described to you in detail how he dropped the hand with your sister ? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Nearly got the sisters hand through it, timely intervention by the old dear put a stop to it

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

I've been off work sick the last few days, decided to put on a wash. Put in the load, made myself a lemsip and went back to bed. Got up, put the machine on spin twice, as otherwise it takes forever to dry. Took out the clothes & was halfway to the clotheshorse when I thought "these clothes are really *really* dry from that spin..."

Yup...hadn't pushed the start button on the cycle. I'd like to blame the sickness, but it's the second time this month I've done that....been using that machine for 3 years.... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

When you don't want your photo taken any more.

I've just seen a few of myself taken at a party and I looked a lot older than I thought i did. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

When you go into a clothes shop and you can't figure out if the items on display are skirts or tops!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ukonline

-

When going upstairs is referred to as going "all the way up the stairs",
    because it's becoming a bit of a challenge.

eg: You've just come downstairs and realise you've forgotten something
    then mutter: "Jayzus, do I have to go all the way up the stairs again!".

My mum takes this a step further and will ask anyone in the house if
    they're "going up the stairs at some stage", if she needs something
    brought down.

:(

-

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

ukonline wrote: »
    -

When going upstairs is referred to as going "all the way up the stairs",
    because it's becoming a bit of a challenge.

eg: You've just come downstairs and realise you've forgotten something
    then mutter: "Jayzus, do I have to go all the way up the stairs again!".

My mum takes this a step further and will ask anyone in the house if
    they're "going up the stairs at some stage", if she needs something
    brought down.

:(

-

I walked around in my socks for hours yesterday in the hopes the someone would bring my slippers from upstairs "at some stage" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Sore knees when you stand up, 10 min to shake off the soreness when u wake up..........and lipotor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You talk about people going to AnCo

It's FÁS nowadays, has been for decades but we still call it AnCo

We have an AnCo building in the town
    So does your town :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,117 ✭✭✭✭looksee

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You talk about people going to AnCo

It's FÁS nowadays, has been for decades but we still call it AnCo

We have an AnCo building in the town
    So does your town :)

Well you might as well, it hasn't changed! And in spite of everything its still with us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

When you spend 20 minutes looking for your glasses & find that you're wearing them!

Advertisement