Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You know you're 'getting on a bit' when.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

When your morning coffee takes an hour and a half.

When you have to have a little zzzz after lunch.

When you can't eat or drink as much as you used to.

When the kids you used to play with, are now figures of national importance.

When you're convinced every ache and pain is....."Something more serious".

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

I got a bonus recently and one of my colleagues asked what I was going to spend it on, after I answered "We're going to buy a new dining table" it dawned on me just how old and boring that I am :-(

A (good) few years ago I went to a Catatonia gig in Camden, got in just as they came on stage, thus missing all the support bands, stood at the Bar for the duration of their set and was able to be first out the door when they finished their encore. When I was younger I hated people like me :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You make tea in a pot-and have a tea-cozy.

You appreciate "good" underwear,for comfort rather than style.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Gosh, I miss tea leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

You make tea in a pot-and have a tea-cozy.

You appreciate "good" underwear,for comfort rather than style.

I got a lovely tea pot as a gift a few weeks ago - so I treated myself to a new tea cosy and pot stand for it. That's 3 tea cosies I have now. Other "oulwans" have porcelein figurine collections - I have kitchen textiles. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

You still consider bread and jam to be a perfectly legitimate meal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You know where the phrases "stop the lights " and "Norman is playing " go home" came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

chucken1 wrote: »
    Ahhhh I took up gardening last year..dunno how it happened :confused:

When you can have a good conversation about blood pressure tablets(etc) and their side affects :mad:

Mom?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭rednik

When getting out of bed in the morning and your wife has to put on your socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

You remember when it was "Now that's what I call music 1 and 2."
    When young people are very impressed with your retro 'vinyl' collection...that you bought in the shops as 'records' many years ago because the only other option was a tape and you didn't own a tape player :(

I still have this at my parent's house on 'vinyl'

R-542421-1152437998.jpeg

• Advertisement

Ye are all imposters! Ye're all out on a Friday night, there's no one here......... ..............or are ye gearing up for the Late Late :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I have a reel to reel tape recorder with about 16 or 17 hours of old music tapes. I have a record player that plays 78, 45, 33 and 16 rpm. I have an 8 track and finally I have a box full of 78 records.

I am assured by the kids of today that these things are no longer available to buy brand new.

WHEN:

You spend half an hour looking for your car keys, you know, the ones you have had in your hand all along.

You decide to use the mayonaise in the fridge realise it is really custard, then wonder what the hell happened to the mayo anyway......

You frequently have the habit of making a loverly cup of tea.... without putting tea in the pot. Or you use gravy browning instead of Camp Coffee...(yeuk)

Rubecula wrote: »
    WHEN:

You spend half an hour looking for your car keys, you know, the ones you have had in your hand all along.

You decide to use the mayonaise in the fridge realise it is really custard, then wonder what the hell happened to the mayo anyway......

You frequently have the habit of making a loverly cup of tea.... without putting tea in the pot. Or you use gravy browning instead of Camp Coffee...(yeuk)

"Senior moments" :)

slowburner wrote: »
    Ye are all imposters! Ye're all out on a Friday night, there's no one here......... ..............or are ye gearing up for the Late Late :p
    Was past my bedtime:D
    • trips to the chemist mean many scholl products.
    • you'd ideally like a phone with bigger buttons and no camera
    • pasta is ok, but doesn't beat a nice "new" spud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

When you ask 'what's on the box?'

When you tell someone you'll 'give them a bell'

I managed to nonplus one of our offspring with those two.

Oh lordy, I'm lovin' this thread, I'm cryin' for the laughin'!! :D

P.S. Also I forgot to say.....if you remember 'The Sku-wil Around Deh Corner' - can you see yourself here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0C5QxBpUdg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Was past my bedtime:D
    • trips to the chemist mean many scholl products.
    • you'd ideally like a phone with bigger buttons and no camera
    • pasta is ok, but doesn't beat a nice "new" spud

I just bought one of those...I can see the buttons :D
    It does what it needs to do-make calls and send texts!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

when you lose your wolverine healing ability and a simple cut on your finger takes over a weak to heal.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

You get called Lady instead of girl!

When you have to ask someone to repeat what they just said!

When today's music doesn't sound all that good, and stuff from the 70's,80's and 90's sounds better than they did when they first came out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

When you have to sit down when tying your shoelaces in case you put your back out...

when you start turning the volume up on the TV

When you go round the house switching off lights in empty rooms

When you can no longer thread a needle

• Advertisement

When you look in the mirror and you notice your hair is greyer than your dad's.

When the people you work with tell you that their mum/dad is old enough to be your son/daughter.

You remember the A and B buttons on a public telephone, and how to use them.

When major historical events are actually memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

There was a public telephone in Carndongh in Co. Donegal that still had a crank you used to call the operator. That was in 1981.

And there was another in Drogheda with A and B buttons in 1983. You don't have to be too old to remember them.

You are getting old when the Prime Minister is about the same age as you. (Hello, David Cameron?)

EDIT: And you're reading this thread and you find that more than half of the observations apply to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

You know you are getting on a bit when you think the weekend is a time when you can get some well deserved rest.

When you pull up the knees of your trousers before sitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Thomas828 wrote: »
    And there was another in Drogheda with A and B buttons in 1983. You don't have to be too old to remember them.

Thats grand, i dont have to post yet so.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

...when you remember Summers filled with the wrrRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrwrrRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrwrrRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrr *
    sound of push lawnmowers rather the the whine of electric ones.

*In my head thats the right sound FX

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

When you've got to look in your weekly pill box to check the day of the week

When you forget to drink the wine that you opened at 6pm and just let breathe for a while

When you spend more time walking around the car park than you do in the Supermarket

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

When you forget where you parked your car at the super market

When you always have a pain killer in your car, wallet, bag, etc.

When you use the word 'youngster'

When you forget what you were about to say

When you forget what you were just going to do

When you tell a kid to stop sounding like a broken record and they ask what a record is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

You don't bother changing your ring tone when you get a new phone, you leave it on the standard "Nokia" tone.

You still use a Nokia

You don't bother learning the names of new people in work...they probably wont last anyway and you don't want to have to kick in for a gift.

You see facebook photos of younger people in work having a blast at parties you weren't invited to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

convert wrote: »
    When you tell a kid to stop sounding like a broken record and they ask what a record is

Grrrr.

Advertisement