Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You know you're 'getting on a bit' when.....

Options
  • 07-05-2011 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

· You find yourself incorporating the following into your speech: ‘Back in the day...’ ‘Nowadays’ ... ‘This is probably before your time, but there was.... ‘ (noticed myself saying all three when speaking to younger colleagues today ... ouch!!)

· You walk into a room and can’t remember why!!!

· You are browsing in Curry’s/PC World etc and the young whippersnapper of a sales assistant when responding to a very innocent query either (a) speaks really condescendingly to you, or (b) decides to throw in as much ‘techno-jargon’ as possible into the response to befuddle and confuse you !!!

· You are in a clothes shop, one of those where assistants ‘hover’, and on asking about sizes, the assistant remarks ‘Is this for your daughter?’ (i.e. ‘Surely, you at your age are not considering buying that?!!)

Just a few observations from my day today!! ;) Would love to hear others!!

BTW am off to the tattoo parlour next week ....... and am only half joking!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Banjara wrote: »
    · You find yourself incorporating the following into your speech: ‘Back in the day...’ ‘Nowadays’ ... ‘This is probably before your time, but there was.... ‘ (noticed myself saying all three when speaking to younger colleagues today ... ouch!!)

· You walk into a room and can’t remember why!!!
    I do this a lot I am afraid, I also go to the shops and have to walk out again.

· You are browsing in Curry’s/PC World etc and the young whippersnapper of a sales assistant when responding to a very innocent query either (a) speaks really condescendingly to you, or (b) decides to throw in as much ‘techno-jargon’ as possible into the response to befuddle and confuse you !!!
    I hate it when they try to get you to buy something you have no idea about or what it does

· You are in a clothes shop, one of those where assistants ‘hover’, and on asking about sizes, the assistant remarks ‘Is this for your daughter?’ (i.e. ‘Surely, you at your age are not considering buying that?!!)
    I have started getting my stuff from the supermarkets these days (is that a sign of age too?)

Just a few observations from my day today!! ;) Would love to hear others!!
    I am getting ready to be a couch potato today, that is bad on a Sunday, I used to go running and martial arts back in the day.

BTW am off to the tattoo parlour next week ....... and am only half joking!! I can get bigger tatoos these days as there is so much more flesh to cover:pac:

Thanks for the OP. Good fun answering that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

You can't stand up from crouching without a loud exhale or groan. Not sure when it started, but I caught myself doing it the other day :(

Yesterday my six year old asked me what were the White bits in my hair, each one of them is a memory of her

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

The doctor calls you mum.

The shop assistants call you ma'am.

You go into a computer shop for a graphics card and the shop assistant ignores you and speaks to your son.

The guards all look young enough to be your children.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

magnumlady wrote: »
    The guards all look young enough to be your children.

Was going to say you know you're getting old when the guard reading you your rights is 10 years younger than you.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

When it takes you all night what you used to do all night.
    (OK, OK, I know it's not original).

Speaking of all night, you used to be able to go all night asleep without getting up to go to the toilet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

- When you remember wearing the 'new' style/fashion fad 20/30 years earlier...

- When you remember the song when it was released by original artist 10/20/30 years earlier...

- When you are ignored...

- When you realise that the other parent at the school yard/door is young enough to be your son/daughter too!

- When you fib about your age...

- When you stop going to nite clubs

- When you are invited to the next generation (or 2) 18th, 21st, 30th parties

- When you bump into an old friend/flame and the years have not been kind

- When you cease to care about those notions that were very important to you 'back then'

- When you wear 'comfortable' shoes/clothes

- When you fancy gardening as a stress buster

- When your two youngest shorties are excited about a 3D Smurf movie coming out and you recall the song and owning a Smurf way back then.. (happened me today at the Kids club in UCI) :)

Finally, when you have learned to put up with yourself, maybe even like yourself and don't overly concern yourself with this growing old thing, ah shure 50 is the new 30 right?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Ahhhh I took up gardening last year..dunno how it happened :confused:

When you can have a good conversation about blood pressure tablets(etc) and their side affects :mad:

Do women take up gardening so they can gossip over the fence? It always seems that us poor lads have to mow the lawn even when we didn't want the lawn in the first place.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

When I got on a bus into town and had to look at the driver twice. He should only be doing the inter cert, no way he was old enough to be driving a bus!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

When you realise that you are now a member of the oldest generation in your family and there is no other 'tier' of next in line folks between you and that final ticket out of here :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

When a simply red song comes on the radio and you don't change station

When you are stopped in the street and the young person speaking to you is a policeman.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭razzler

When the time you get up at used to be the time you go to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

When you have dry dreams and wet farts

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭danwhite88

Beruthiel wrote: »
    When I got on a bus into town and had to look at the driver twice. He should only be doing the inter cert, no way he was old enough to be driving a bus!!

When you still call it the inter cert and not Junior cert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

danwhite88 wrote: »
    When you still call it the inter cert and not Junior cert

When you remember the group cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

When your teenage nieces and nephews are mortified when you try to befriend them on facebook.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

When things click/hurt when you go to stand up.

When you bump into younger relatives in the pub that you used to babysit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Watching Obama on TV has just reminded me that you know you are getting on a bit when you are older than the President of the United States.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

chughes wrote: »
    Watching Obama on TV has just reminded me that you know you are getting on a bit when you are older than the President of the United States.

Or when you think "He's only a young man"....at nearly 50 :o

chucken1 wrote: »
    Or when you think "He's only a young man"....at nearly 50 :o

On a similar theme, you know you are getting on a bit when, if you are asked about the shooting of JFK, you can remember exactly what you were doing, and where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

When none of your workmates were born when you started working for that company.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You remember when it was "Now that's what I call music 1 and 2."

You always use the loo before you leave the house, in case there might not be another handy one for a while.

You use facecreams that cost the same amount of euro for each year you are on this planet.

You remember Pam Ayers and the poem " I wish I'd looked after me teeth"..and you do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

You remember Pam Ayers and the poem " I wish I'd looked after me teeth"..and you do...

And you didn't and now know how true it was :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

When you watch the weather to make sure you can put out the washing. And think the meteorologist on today is a bit of a catch.

When you read the death notices in the paper and actually start to recognise people.

When you enjoy having your 78yr old neighbour in for a cuppa and a chinwag. About gardening and the weather and how things used to be back in the day.

Enjoy getting pressies of a box of biscuits instead of a bottle of whiskey. Sure the drink only gives you a hangover and the biscuits will come in handy when the neighbour calls in.

When you enjoy getting practical presents like tea cosies and oven gloves. And sure there's nothing like a new teatowel.

When you start to worry about your veins.

When you put on a tracksuit and a hoody to bring the dog for a walk and your OH says "aren't you a bit old for that?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

after reading all of the above

aahh jaaaaaayyssuuusss!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

When going to bed is a more attractive option than staying up.

When you watch Eurovision and think the songs are alright, actually.

When your laughter lines dont go away when you stop laughing.

When your knees get wrinkles.

When you dont even know what half the things your phone can do are for.

You need longer arms to read the paper.

You think its shocking what younger people are wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dangerdunf

When you call a radio a "wireless"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

When you try to look at something up close and it looks as if you are playing the trombone.

When you always observe speed limits.

When you actually plan things before doing them.

When politicians look too young.

Advertisement