Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais Heat - Overcharged?!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jontenoy

I changed the motorised valve on the hot water circuit.... €65 / 30 minutes and the problem solved.
    The old one was not closing properly

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭KingKenny77

might be unrelated to the current discussion but I'm thinking of getting a Hometeam boiler service. the trouble is i know of several people unhappy with the 60 day labour guarantee, i.e if you get the work done in good weather and don't use it until it gets cold, but it doesn't work correctly, the customer gets caught to pay up a second time for the visit and repairs. hardly seems fair.
    Is this legal / good practice? (If so i'll wait until October!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Just got a whopper bill so time to investigate

First off - why do I have 2 Meter numbers?

First row is XXXXXX
    Second row is E6SXXXXXXXXXXXX

The second is on my meter but don't know what the first one is?

Sorry, didn't want to start new thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

fair point

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭DonegalBonz

Its been all quiet on here for the last couple of months so i'm wondering did anybody get a solution? More likely the silence is due to a complete lack of communication and solution from BG Heat.

After being told weeks and weeks ago, over the phone and by email, that BG Heat would be issuing a letter, the very next day, detailing the problem and solution, I still havnt received a thing, well we have received another bill, the outstanding amount now stands at almost €1000 :eek:

The comsumption for this period was a fantastical 1700 kwh.

I'm going to contact the National Consumer Agency to make sure that I have taken every step to ensure that I have everything in order on my side, i've contacted BG Heat on numerous occassions to discuss, kept all correspondence including the mails where the admit that they are looking into a solution (admitting the problem) and also sent a registered letter detailing how I am willing to pay any bills that are calcultaed using "accurate actual reads".

After that I'm not sure how far this has to go to reach a resolution. Are BG Heat governed by the Commission for Energy Regulation? Has anybody taken any other action against BG Heat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 barradepaor

Hi,

I'm living in the same apartment complex and have the same issue now for the past year and a half, we stopped paying our bill over a year ago now, turned off the heat at the valve etc etc.

We get a bill every 2-3 months, usually nearly exactly the same as the previous time despite never using the heat in the apartment.

To make matters worse I've also contacted BG Heat on numerous occasions looking for them to send out an engineer, they've said they would a couple of times...it has never happened. They did howver send out an instruction manual for the heating in the apartment, which clearly shows that my heating is infact off.

The outstanding bill is approx 500 euro at this stage.

On a stranger note, I also happen to know a couple of people in BG Networks & BG Energy, neither of them have ever heard of BG Heat and there def is not a BG Heat department in either company.

Has anyone ever manage to get this resolved in any way?

Hi,

I'm living in the same apartment complex and have the same issue now for the past year and a half, we stopped paying our bill over a year ago now, turned off the heat at the valve etc etc.

We get a bill every 2-3 months, usually nearly exactly the same as the previous time despite never using the heat in the apartment.

To make matters worse I've also contacted BG Heat on numerous occasions looking for them to send out an engineer, they've said they would a couple of times...it has never happened. They did howver send out an instruction manual for the heating in the apartment, which clearly shows that my heating is infact off.

The outstanding bill is approx 500 euro at this stage.

On a stranger note, I also happen to know a couple of people in BG Networks & BG Energy, neither of them have ever heard of BG Heat and there def is not a BG Heat department in either company.

Has anyone ever manage to get this resolved in any way?

I've exhausted all avenues of resolution with BG Heat, I've had countless calls, numerous emails and registered letters unanswered. They've repeatedly said they'll advise of a resolution but nothing ever came of it.

The fact they are using a Bord Gais email address at least indicates they have some relationship with BG, this would mean they are hopefully in some way governed by the Commission for Energy Regulator. I'll have to take this complaint up with them now as BG Heat have done nothing with this.

Hopefully the more people that complain to the regulator might get this addressed because its been going on for over a year with us now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭orlaanne

Hi everyone

So my lease is up next month and we haven't made any agreement to continue on with the landlord, if they want more money and won't budge we'll have to move.

Anyway I relayed this info to BG Heat and I was told that there is still no resolution to this investigation and that at some point there will be more works required but no idea when etc.

I was asked to pay up half my bill and the standing charges for the year to settle up but I'm not sure if I should do this.

Has anyone contacted the national consumer agency over this? I just want to pay what I owe and I have no idea if half is too much!

So I apparently I got this wrong because I couldn't understand what they actually wanted in the email, they want 50% of what I owe because they are calling this the "undisputed" part and then eventually, some time in the next thousand or so years I will be told what I owe for the disputed part.

I've told them I wanted to contact the CER and the NCA to get advice first, surely there must be a time limit on how long this is allowed to continue, it's been nearly a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Balinov

Hi, has anyone came to a resolution - or at least close to it? I live in IFSC to, Customs House Sq bldg, suffering with high bills for a year now. Plumber came to us 3 times last fall, air bleeding valve check, etc, but said nothing looks wrong inside the apt. BG Heat was first contacted in FEb as their bill said we've been using 2900kWh for Dec-Jan period, which is ffs an unbeliavable amount. Previous winter, with minuses and ****load of snow the heat usage for the same apt (25+ set on the thermostat when we're at home) was less than 1/3 of this...First used the [email]info@...email[/email] to make a dispute, then someone replied they gonna send an engineer to check ( <SNIP>>>> BGE Heat Coordinator>>> BGE Heat>>> Bord Gáis Energy>>> Foley Street,Dublin) we made ourself available couple of times, but all their promises failed. Then I cancelled the DD + notified the same lady by email (landlord was cc'd as well) Next bill came in April, 260 something overdue + another 250 something new heat usage. For f**k sake, we switched off the heating in the main digital controller then set the termostat to the lowest. Besides since we started to have the heating issue only the living room radiator was working, then we simply switched it off, suspecting we're going to get skyhigh bill some day.

Landlord only said to contact housekeeper, our bad luck, the nice guy on site is on long term sick leave, his replacement drinker didn't know a thing about the utility systems in the apartment block...Then we contacted the Landlord again (who's a nice and helpful guy at the end, we live here for almost 4 yrs0),he sent an email to the management company's director, not a single **** was given to that email, not suprised. Neighbours had the same previous winter, that time the houskeeper fixed smthg, but that's not an option now, since the useless backup of him.

Have a colleague living in the same building, they're having the same sort of issue, no resolution there either afaik.

One day guys from Airtricity showed up, trying to switch us to their service. Told them we're no with you, buying the 230V since Oct/Nov. Then they've tried to made us switch for heating. Told them your colleague said it's technically not possible, because the way the heating system was designed in the block. Then they said they know about heating issues in the same house (it's a big block, probably close to 100 apt's) and actually they're waiting for some1 from the management company to have the meters checked. Long story short, they've promised they'll show up laters the same day as they're expecting to figure out what's wrong here....They never showed up.

Just sent a reminder to both BG/Landlord, but if nothing happens we have to move out asap. Does anyone have an another contact, supervisor, manager as I want to escalate this whole story at BGH? OR any recommendation where the hell to go? We should have the next bi-monthly bill received already, but nothing in the box.Sure I'll have double outstanding, which I'm going to dispute.

Thanks
    Balionv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 worried man

Hi

I justmoved into Custom Hse Squareover a month ago and was issued my first bill from this crowd, a whopping€664.60 for just over a 3 week period. And that was an estimated bill!!!!!...

I originallythought it was a simple mistake and it will get sorted asap but as I rang andemailed and no answer, I did a quick search for them on web and suddenly I startedto become worried and when I found this tread I am now vey very worried.

What goingon here, is the whole development in a mess from this crowd, there just seemsto be one woman who looks after this. No customer service just her

Arelandlords made aware of this crowd as far as I know we can not change, it’sthem or nothing. Also when I was setting up I paid €150 refundable depositwhich I thought was fine as I thought BG Heat was associated to Bord Gais butfrom reading below I'm no so sure but the girl I was dealing with has an@bordgais email address.

What arepeople doing , I’m thinking I’m just going to calculate my own bills from nowon and cancel my DD ( have to wait for first DD to go through and then get Bankto Unpaid it – before I cancel as I was told by bank I can not cancel untilfirst one goes through, as at present there is nothing to cancel…….which istotally inconvenient as I do not trust this crowd from what I’m reading.) andjust do a credit transfer for x amount every two months,

Hi Worried Man, its looking very much like this is effecting alot of people in CHS, I had my landlord report this to the management company who informed him that this was between the tenant and BG Heat, the landlord tried to get some info from BG Heat himself but was told they couldnt speak to him, despite me sending on a letter of authorisation for him to discuss our account.

Perhaps now that this effects numerous apartments the property management company may need to reconsider this a complex-wide problem and seek some dialogue with BG Heat.

In the meantime I've continued to take this up with the BG Heat Rep who informs me that "work is ongoing". I will be taking my complaint to the Commision for Energy Regulator now as my emails and calls are getting nowhere.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi

I justmoved into Custom Hse Squareover a month ago and was issued my first bill from this crowd, a whopping€664.60 for just over a 3 week period. And that was an estimated bill!!!!!...

I originallythought it was a simple mistake and it will get sorted asap but as I rang andemailed and no answer, I did a quick search for them on web and suddenly I startedto become worried and when I found this tread I am now vey very worried.

What goingon here, is the whole development in a mess from this crowd, there just seemsto be one woman who looks after this. No customer service just her

Arelandlords made aware of this crowd as far as I know we can not change, it’sthem or nothing. Also when I was setting up I paid €150 refundable depositwhich I thought was fine as I thought BG Heat was associated to Bord Gais butfrom reading below I'm no so sure but the girl I was dealing with has an@bordgais email address.

What arepeople doing , I’m thinking I’m just going to calculate my own bills from nowon and cancel my DD ( have to wait for first DD to go through and then get Bankto Unpaid it – before I cancel as I was told by bank I can not cancel untilfirst one goes through, as at present there is nothing to cancel…….which istotally inconvenient as I do not trust this crowd from what I’m reading.) andjust do a credit transfer for x amount every two months,

What you have been told by your bank is utter nonsense and demonstrates once again the abject lack of training in the dd system for most bank employees.

While the dd system is a lousy system the bill payer still has rights under it and signing a dd mandate or instruction does not give over control of your account to a company.

Under the so called "dd guarantee" you can cancel a dd at anytime by notifying your bank - there is nothing anywhere in the dd scheme rules that says a first dd has to "hit" your account.

Check http://www.ipso.ie/section/section/YourRightsasaPayer and you will see two points relevant to your particular situation:
    You can cancel the Direct Debit Instruction by writing in good time to your bank

You can request your bank to refuse a direct debit payment on your account up to close of business the day before the direct debit is due to be paid from your account

So even if you dont want to cancel the dd instruction you can request the bank to refuse a specific dd.

Also there is a provision in the dd scheme rules that a disputed amount should not be debited but like most of the safeguards in the dd scheme this is largely ignored by Companies who basically can do what they like under the dd scheme without any fear of sanction.

What has probably happened in your case is that you have signed up for the ironically named dd plus system - this system had no pluses whatsoever for the bill payer. Under this you are only entitled to 7 days notice and the companies hold the documentation. This causes confusion for bank branches and thats probably why they are claiming that there has to be a payment before they can do anything/

However the inadequacies of the dd + system should not affect the customer and if the banks cannot operate it then they should not have agreed to it.

Unfortunately due to the lack of training of bank staff in the dd system you usually have to equip yourself with the scheme details available on the ipso website, before visiting your branch.

There was a thread a while ago where a poster was trying to stop a dd coming through and it took the involvement of the dd scheme manager to get it sorted out - IPSO ( 01 6636740) If your branch continue to refuse to accept your instructions contact the dd manager at IPSO.

I see Bord Gais Energy Heat have put up a notice in the lobby of my block saying that maintenance and repair work will be commencing soon. This, they comically say, comes after "ongoing monitoring" highlighted the need for some repairs.

Of course it was the "ongoing monitoring" that highlighted this :rolleyes: , not the 15+ months of customers repeatedly calling their customer service line with the exact same problem.

At least at last its some movement on their part to address this.

For all the CHS people waiting for a solution I got an email from them today saying that the AGM in November is their deadline for resolution. I'll commence holding my breath...

I'm still going ahead with complaining to the CER, they've had over a year, it's crazy how long we've had to wait.

Hi, does anyone know what's the latest status of the BGH vs. Customs House Square dispute? I'm bombarding one of their contact with emails, had few luck to be honest..Just the BS, they're in negotiation with CHS's Management company, but I had no luck in getting any further details....was talking to the new building manager, he doesn't know that much further, just the discussion between this two beloved company includes topics, related to overcharging...

I've involved my landlord, but he doesn't seem to have any further luck with this stuff either...I've cancelled my DD since February, 2012 and now my BG Heat bill is close to a grand, incl. overdue payments...

Does anyone know whom to contact at BG Heat for a resolution? I'm in contact with a women called Serena, i'm copying info@boardgais.ie with my emails,hoping someone at higher lvl will accidentally pick up the matter.

I've offered them to pay 50% of the outstandings, but didn't even got a reply to that ...

thanks & cheres

• Registered Users Posts: 25 boozezela

Balinov wrote: »
    Does anyone know whom to contact at BG Heat for a resolution? I'm in contact with a women called Serena, i'm copying info@boardgais.ie with my emails,hoping someone at higher lvl will accidentally pick up the matter.

Oh yeah Serena. The one that stated that the old digital meters in the apartments were 10 year old (the building is 6 years old) and that they were slowed down by rust.

No comment...

boozezela wrote: »
    Oh yeah Serena. The one that stated that the old digital meters in the apartments were 10 year old (the building is 6 years old) and that they were slowed down by rust.

No comment...

rusty digital meters? OMFG:pac:

btw, she answered to my email today stating the following, guess that's partially BS...
    "
    As soon as I have a resolution to the problem in hand I will communicate it to you, one of the managers called me earlier to tell me there is a follow up meeting to the AGM called this month to go over the last proposal, I don’t know anymore than that at present. Any deadlines or dates advised to me which in turn I tell you are never met due to the complexity of the issue, this is why I am reluctant to give you any deadlines.
    As I advised works will be starting but dates and schedules etc are not confirmed yet,"

trying to get our landlord involved in deeper details..hope that's going to have some kind of resulition

anyone paid a partial bill yet?

Not paid a penny until they can show me how much I used, I don't even live there anymore now, this is going on since Autumn 2011! I emailed the building manager and he didn't even respond to me so lucky you. Tried to call Joe Walsh who is head of sales and no response.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

Wow - I just moved into Custom House Square and this thread has scared the crap out of me. They do seem impossible to get in touch with, but finally got through to them and they want me to set up a direct debit :/ I'm not sure if that's a good idea going by what people say here.

Is there still an issue? Are there no alternatives for us when it comes to heat?

• Advertisement

orlaanne wrote: »
    Not paid a penny until they can show me how much I used, I don't even live there anymore now, this is going on since Autumn 2011! I emailed the building manager and he didn't even respond to me so lucky you. Tried to call Joe Walsh who is head of sales and no response.

hi orlaane: miind if I ask how you've managed to move out from CHS? I suspect until I don't have a clean balance with BGH I can't move out to a different place an open an account with them again (or with an another provider).

Not sure legally I could be put behind, if you know what I mean... my bill now goes up to a grand since Feb, '12. Are you able to recommend some clear steps how you managed to escape?

gawker: would recommend to ask the landlord to confirm if motorized valves and pump was replaced/checked recently. BGH kinda' blamed us that hose were broken.

cheers

As far as I know we have no alternaive to BG Heat for our hot water and heating in CHS, the system in CHS works by some convoluted method of hot water flowing into the apartment and not natural gas, I've never heard of any other company providing this.

If you move to a residence where the heating is provided by natural gas there should be no problems opening an account with a gas supplier.

My bill is over a grand now too but I'm not stressing too much as I wont be paying a cent until BG can provide a bill based on actual readings. No consumer has to pay a bill based on clearly inaccurate reads.

I followed this up again and received the same response, word for word, as Balinov above.

Yeah, that's a thing I've forgot to tell earlier. When we've switched from ESB to a 3rd party electricity provider the other day the agent told us we would even get a better electricity rate if we could move the heating as well, but the guy told me technically it's not possible as CHS is buying the HW as bulk from BGH.

To raise an another question, related to the same thing, which makes us worried as well.

Let's say we move out to a different place, gave 1mth notice to the landlord (this is what he needs and confirmed in written), but we'd not pay the BGH bill (until it's sorted, fingers x'd).

Does the landlord have any right to hold back our deposit (in full or partially)? Does he have any base of a possible legal action against us? I'm only asking this is even though the BGH is under our (my) name the apt is still his property. (btw, we're registered at the tennancy board, so the rent is fully official).

Other reason I'm asking this in particular is frankly I'm not familiar enough with the Irish way of doing things like this.

I'm from Hungary, where if you rent a house/apt/whatever and you fail to pay the utilities bill at certain stage (couple of months not paying, depending on the actual provider, IDK for sure) providers can request a mortgage settled against the estate. Which is clearly not beneficiary to the owner http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/icons/icon10.png. Haven't happened with us, but know a friend back there who got an executor on his neck against him because of smthg like this

thanks
    Balinov

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

Hey guys - first bill and just wondering what the "standard charge" is here? Iis it the same every bill?

Thanks

Hi gawker, I'm afraid yes, that thing is on every bill you're going to receive

Yeah, that's a thing I've forgot to tell earlier. When we've switched from ESB to a 3rd party electricity provider the other day the agent told us we would even get a better electricity rate if we could move the heating as well, but the guy told me technically it's not possible as CHS is buying the HW as bulk from BGH.

To raise an another question, related to the same thing, which makes us worried as well.

Let's say we move out to a different place, gave 1mth notice to the landlord (this is what he needs and confirmed in written), but we'd not pay the BGH bill (until it's sorted, fingers x'd).

Does the landlord have any right to hold back our deposit (in full or partially)? Does he have any base of a possible legal action against us? I'm only asking this is even though the BGH is under our (my) name the apt is still his property. (btw, we're registered at the tennancy board, so the rent is fully official).

Other reason I'm asking this in particular is frankly I'm not familiar enough with the Irish way of doing things like this.

I'm from Hungary, where if you rent a house/apt/whatever and you fail to pay the utilities bill at certain stage (couple of months not paying, depending on the actual provider, IDK for sure) providers can request a mortgage settled against the estate. Which is clearly not beneficiary to the owner http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/icons/icon10.png. Haven't happened with us, but know a friend back there who got an executor on his neck against him because of smthg like this

thanks
    Balinov

I've moved out of CHS 4 months ago and I got the account canceled. They sent me the final bill and I'm still refusing to pay it until they can show me what I used or this "solution" magically occurs (I'd be long dead if I held my breath for that one). The new people will have their own relationship with BGHeat.

thanks orlaanne, its good to know you can still move out, have the current BGH account closed and have them a final bill sent..now it's our turn to look around somewhere

thanks orlaanne, its good to know you can still move out, have the current BGH account closed and have them a final bill sent..now it's our turn to look around somewhere

I wasn't going to let that lot stop me from buying a house! This whole mess is their fault, not mine.

they've sent us the recent bill, for 2260kwh used in the last two month. FFS, we're not living in the Arctic, how come they think we 've used more than twice the amount of heat compared to 2009/2010 extreme winter?

Any recommendation wtf to do? I'm getting really pissed of, considering to go to Small cases court and put BGH into some trouble.?

Cheers

Your account with us is now overdue in the amount specified and settlement by due date is required to ensure continued supply.
    In the absence of settlement we regret we cannot guarantee continued supply and where supply is withdrawn,full payment of your account along with reconnection fee of 60Euro is a requirement prior to resoration.

Outstanding balance:902.94

a heat used 2260@ 5.92 c/kw 133.79

Standard charge:48.76

vat @ 13.5% :24.64

• Advertisement

Ring them and tell them you want a hold put on your payment until it's resolved and you know other people in CHS have done the same. (which we have).

Also if you decide to go the small claims route please let us know what happens. They need a wake up call on this and the CER don't seem to be the ones to do it, I'm going around in circles with them at the moment.

"Here, fill in this form you already filled out"
    "We contacted Bord Gais Energy, you have not complained"

READ THE EMAIL, BORD GAIS HEAT! and actually I did complain to BGE and they told me they don't handle complains for BGH. ARGHHHHHH.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement