Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coins & Banknotes Valuation Sticky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

Hey all, I just came across both of these notes when clearing out my Gran-parents attic for them in a recent move. And would love to get a rough value on both of these notes if at all possible.

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/3382/ploughman.jpg

And

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8434/ploughman2.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Falcon.ie wrote: »
    Hey all, I just came across both of these notes when clearing out my Gran-parents attic for them in a recent move. And would love to get a rough value on both of these notes if at all possible.

I don't deal with notes so I could be off with this, but I'd imagine you're looking at around 300 to 400 Euro each note. You could ask someone like 'Anthony O Brien' here on Boards for a more accurate valuation. Either way those are very valuable notes, take care of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have an English 1758 George II silver shilling, and a 1787 George III silver sixpence, both in good condition as far as I can see, somewhere between VF and EF I'd say as a layman. My grandfather used to be an antiques restorer and found them behind a drawer in a piece of furniture a good many years ago. Any idea of the potential value, and where I might sell them in Ireland, or the UK?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Alun wrote: »
    Any idea of the potential value, and where I might sell them in Ireland, or the UK?

Value will be based on condition so impossible to predict without seeing photos. And no offense but one man's XF is another man's VF so I wouldn't go by anyone's description alone. Best thing to do is put them on ebay.co.uk in their correct categories and they should fetch whatever they're worth at auction.

Could be £1, could be £100, though I think this was a lucky buy it now :)
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/antique-1758-George-II-silver-shilling-coin-/160944837608?pt=UK_Coins_BritishMilled_RL&hash=item25790f53e8

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Well, mine are a good bit better than that I think ...

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Well, mine are a good bit better than that I think ...

Certainly are. I'd value that shilling at around £80 sterling. You could look up the sixpence on ebay yourself for completed auctions of similar grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lucky_1

Would anyone be able to give a rough value on 2 x 1 Punt Lady Lavery banknotes (1975) with consecutive serial numbers. They are uncirculated mint condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭notuslimited

What is the value of an uncirculated €500 note with a T serial number. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cog1

Hi
    I have a coin which appears to be a hammered coin or pre-minted (I have no idea about coins so maybe not). I'm attaching photos, can anyone give me any idea about the coin. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭scheister

while doing a bit of spring cleaning came across 2 coins wonding if they are worth anything

1st is a 1971 penny (irish)
    2nd is a 1956 3p coin (english)

also have a 1990 £1 pound (irish) in a presention box

• Advertisement

scheister wrote: »
    while doing a bit of spring cleaning came across 2 coins wonding if they are worth anything

1st is a 1971 penny (irish)
    2nd is a 1956 3p coin (english)

also have a 1990 £1 pound (irish) in a presention box

If it's the official Proof pound coin from the central bank with original box and cert you should be able to get around 20 Euro for it. The others aren't worth talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭scheister

Blade wrote: »

If it's the official Proof pound coin from the central bank with original box and cert you should be able to get around 20 Euro for it. The others aren't worth talking about.

Figured that about the lose coins

• Registered Users Posts: 4 giuly

Hi all
    Would you know the current value for gold sovereigns?
    I have 4
    1903 s (sidney?)

Thank you for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 11 montyk

Hi
    Can anyone give any information on the pictures of the notes. Also what is the letter incircled on the note, is this anything to do with the war years?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Hi All.
    I have a 1939 Irish Half Penny (Leat Pingin)
    According to here: http://www.irishcoinage.com/MODCAT.HTM#modhpe it should be worth around €90.

Link to adverts.ie ad: http://www.adverts.ie/coins-notes/1939-irish-half-penny-leat-pingin-coin/2624638

I have a lot of other old coins but i dont have time to get them all valued and sold so maybe someone would like to take a look and value them for me or is there somewhere in dublin i could bring the collection to off load it?

20130206_145353_zps0a893cb0.jpg
    20130206_145448_zps98aafcdf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Just to remind everyone to familiarise themselves with our forum charter. No sales on thread. If you want to sell something or are looking to buy an item please post an ad on www.adverts.ie first. You may then link to the ad here in the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Napoleon111

Hi all
    some very informative posts here, thanks for all the info!
    I was wondering if someone could help me with something, i have posted this elsewhere already
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056874610
    Anyone know anything about these coins, or the type of value? quiet a significant quantity of gold, 2oz and 4oz 22 carat (so i make that 1.83 ounc pure gold for the 2oz and 3.67 punces of pure gold for the 4 ounce). these are in mint condition as were purchased in 1966 when they were minted and have been in their leather bound (think its leather) boxes since day 1 and have not been touched in near 50 years
    Any thoughts or feed back would be much appreciated :)

7ofBrian wrote: »
    I have a 1939 Irish Half Penny (Leat Pingin)
    According to here: http://www.irishcoinage.com/MODCAT.HTM#modhpe it should be worth around €90.

I have a lot of other old coins but i dont have time to get them all valued and sold so maybe someone would like to take a look and value them for me or is there somewhere in dublin i could bring the collection to off load it?

You're not grading that coin very fairly are you? According to that site the condition would have to be AU to be worth 90 euro, your coin is FINE at best which is listed there as 8 Euro. However the reality is that your coin in that condition is worth about 5 Euro as that's what they can be picked up for.

If you want to get the rest of your collection valued you could bring it to the coin fair at the RDS at the end of this month. However going by your expectations of values you should prepare to be disappointed with the offers you'll be given for your coins.

To be honest I have no idea what my coins are worth as i inherited them when my grandfather passed away recently. I googled a few of them and this one seemed in demand. I have some much older coins too like a 1775 george 3rd half penny. If they arent going to get me a worth while amount of money for emmigrating, ill hold on to them. maybe theyll be worth something to my kids or grandkids.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 romoo

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this thread. :-)

I came across this €20 banknote on Delcampe and was wondering why it was going for so much money. It is actually being bidded on as opposed to a chancer seller. It's at €260 at the moment!

In case the link below doesn't work the details are as follows:

€20 Banknote
    Duisenberg Signature
    Serial Number: T303....

The only information by the seller in the listing is as follows: '20 EURO IRELAND AU-UNC. DUISENBERG T303... / K002B3. SCARCE !!!'

The link is: http://www.delcampe.net/page/item/id,204930955,var,20-EURO-IRELAND-AU-UNC-DUISENBERG-T303-K002B3-SCARCE-,language,E.html

The reason I ask is as I have a uncirculated €20 banknote with a 'Duisenberg' signature with a T32268442254 serial number. Is it likely to get similar interest?

I have the note since the Euro came along and it's been lying in a folder untouched since 2002. Crispy as...

I also have a €5 & a €10 note in similar condition with same signature.

Also what does the Delcampe seller refer to with the reference K002B3?

Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated.

Ronan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

Just wondering can anybody identify these coins don't know where they're from or what year the silver ones are. I think the silver ones are the same currency.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

he had that up for 4.00 a few weeks ago till someone told him what its worth. Think he added an extra 0 for the craic

Chucken wrote: »

They're dreaming. They're claiming it's a proof when it's not. Too many bull$hitters on Adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sorintrimbitas

Well .. most people grade much higher their coins :) .. what for some in UNC for others (and in reality) it is VF+

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Comicbooklad

Hey folks,

I've a few 5p's from 1992 and 10p's from 1993.
    I heard that these were valuable. Can Anyone give me a more recent Valuation?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

What is the value of an uncirculated €500 note with a T serial number. Thanks
    An interesting question, a dealer had 1 on display at the coin fair yesterday and he said it was worth 1,500euro, I had a 500euro note resently but it only had the X serial number, btw most 500euro notes are in uncirculated condition as they don't get the same use lower value notes, btw there was a dealer selling Twenty Five Dinars notes with Saddam Hussein head on them, at 2euro it was a bargain, it wasn't a fake, but if it was, 2euro didn't break the bank:D

Hey folks,

I'm afraid you heard wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Hey folks,

74.5 million 1992 5p's minted & 80.1 million 1993 10p's minted. So not a lot of value there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Comicbooklad

hexosan wrote: »
    74.5 million 1992 5p's minted & 80.1 million 1993 10p's minted. So not a lot of value there.

Shame, So is it only 20p's from 1985 that have any real value?

Advertisement