Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coins & Banknotes Valuation Sticky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭childsplay

Hi,
    I have a set of 6 Canadian coins. They are dated 1965 and are in plastic stamped with the words Royal Canadian Mint.
    The dollar coin has a picture of two people in a canoe.

Anyone say what they'd be worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bgrove

i have a load of coins of all denominations (pre euro) accumalated over the past twenty five years or so and have just started sorting them,probably to just cash them in. Is there anything i shoud keep an eye out for or hang on to?,besides the obvious 1985 20p. Any info would be appreciated. All have been in circulation and have been gathered through the hospitality industry. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lee g

I have came across an 1964 American half dollar in good condition a lad looked at it for me and said it was an accented hair something like that and said it is really rare does anybody know a value of it thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

lee g wrote: »
    I have came across an 1964 American half dollar in good condition a lad looked at it for me and said it was an accented hair something like that and said it is really rare does anybody know a value of it thanks

this would be a proof coin
    depending on the condition, in this case it would make a big difference, around the €50 mark

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lee g

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 bill_barn

I was clearing out my house last week and i found old bank notes I am looking for advice on whether they are worth anything.
    I have as follows : £20 irish note from 1976
    £10 irish note from 1975
    £5 "" from 1975
    £1 "" from 1974
    10 Schillings from 1968
    All in very good condition

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sparkyjack

hi guys , i was wondering , i have an old 1988 , circulated , irish pound note , i know its not worth much now but it is in very good condition , no tears or marks , is this worth preserving ? couldm it be worth much in the future say 20 years ? should i frame it to preserve it or put it in the centre of a thick book ? or does anyone out there fancy giving me €100 for it lol:)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

sparkyjack wrote: »
    hi guys , i was wondering , i have an old 1988 , circulated , irish pound note , i know its not worth much now but it is in very good condition , no tears or marks , is this worth preserving ? couldm it be worth much in the future say 20 years ? should i frame it to preserve it or put it in the centre of a thick book ? or does anyone out there fancy giving me €100 for it lol:)

worth between 2-5 euro not much value mass produced

jamiecoins wrote: »
    worth between 2-5 euro not much value mass produced
    thnx for the reply jamiecoins

thnx jamiecoins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭gb19815

Hi ive approx 4000 floirin 2s irish coins dates ranging from 1955-1968! Anyone know what i could get for these and where i could sell them?

gb19815 wrote: »
    Hi ive approx 4000 floirin 2s irish coins dates ranging from 1955-1968! Anyone know what i could get for these and where i could sell them?

there not worth too much as the years had high mints over a million of each up to over 3 million ,

might be worth putting on ebay ?

for the most even if the coins are unc there worth about 3-7 euro but higher /lower maybe depending on the buyer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi gb19815, please do not post the same question on three different threads in the forum. I deleted the other posts and left this one as jamiecoins provide you with an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭gb19815

Hi jamie so u reckon i could get 3-7 each for them ? I wanna sell them all as one dont know if its possible on ebay?

only if there all uncirculated never been in circulation like in shops as change etc , then they would have a value of 3- 7 euro each all depending ,
    u could list them on ebay as one lot and set a reserve on them but add alot of money for shipping as theyl a bit , or put them on adverts ,
    you could try done deal also , have u any earlier florins other than u listed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I think that gb19815 is best contacting the Central Bank 1890 777777, open Monday to Friday from 09.00 - 18.00 - not sure whether they still take pre-decimal currency but you will get nothing for them on eBay or elsewhere. Here's a current eBay listing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11-IRELAND-TWO-SHILLING-COINS-/110933637343?pt=UK_Coins_European_RL&hash=item19d428f8df#ht_2859wt_1186

The central bank would be the best option for these, you will get just over the €500 mark for them
    It would be very hard to find anyone to buy these in one go as for some reason florins are very hard to sell, a dealer wouldnt be interested unless they are uncirculated

• Registered Users Posts: 41 bathy

Hi Everyone,

I have been left a collection of coins by a deceased relative - could you recommend best place to get them valued/ sell please?

They hold no interest for me.

bathy wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I have been left a collection of coins by a deceased relative - could you recommend best place to get them valued/ sell please?

They hold no interest for me.

Where are you based?

Where are you based?

Good point - should have said that! In Dublin.

• Advertisement

Theres a coin fair coming up sometime in octoberin the rds, that would be your best bet

Thanks for that - do you know of fair? Can't see any mention of it on site. Also how do these things work? Do you need to take a stand if you are selling or do you just approach the people on the stand to possibly buy from you?

you can just walk in and show the coins to the dealers and they will make you an offer if they are interested in buying

you can just walk in and show the coins to the dealers and they will make you an offer if they are interested in buying

Thank you for taking the time to reply Anthony :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

How much would a 1928 irish shilling be worth?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

akura wrote: »
    How much would a 1928 irish shilling be worth?

That's a bit like asking "how high is a kite?" TBH. You'd need to post pictures as it's all down to condition. Could be anything from between 2 Euro to 30 Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

It's not in great condition, i actully found it a field sticking up through the mud that the cows kicked up, i also found a few rusty coins two but i left them

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

akura wrote: »
    It's not in great condition, i actully found it a field sticking up through the mud that the cows kicked up, i also found a few rusty coins two but i left them

Scrap metal value I'm afraid, about 2 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 8888noel8888

Can anyone tell where you can officially get coins valued? I know CGS uk and CGS us, but I need to know what exactly is in these coins. I bought three gold coins, two 5 pound coins and one 2 pound coin, I’m new to coin collecting and believe me as "green as could be" I’d go as far as completely naive on my first real purchase anyway. One of the 5 pound coins is 1902 and has the Elizabeth head on it. And before anyone says it, I know already there is something wrong here as I checked online and bought the Spink book 2012 and there is no 1902 5 pound gold coin anywhere to be seen. But the weight is right and the size is right, so gold it might be. But I’m not holding my breath. I want to get it valued with precise detail, telling me what gold is in it, 9 carat?? 22 carat?? Or just to tell me what exactly is wrong with this. CGS uk doesn’t tell you what gold is in it, they will only say if it's fake or not. And grade them. Any help would be really appreciated as this is really bugging me. Sorry to bang on so long.

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell where you can officially get coins valued? I know CGS uk and CGS us, but I need to know what exactly is in these coins. I bought three gold coins, two 5 pound coins and one 2 pound coin, I’m new to coin collecting and believe me as "green as could be" I’d go as far as completely naive on my first real purchase anyway. One of the 5 pound coins is 1902 and has the Elizabeth head on it. And before anyone says it, I know already there is something wrong here as I checked online and bought the Spink book 2012 and there is no 1902 5 pound gold coin anywhere to be seen. But the weight is right and the size is right, so gold it might be. But I’m not holding my breath. I want to get it valued with precise detail, telling me what gold is in it, 9 carat?? 22 carat?? Or just to tell me what exactly is wrong with this. CGS uk doesn’t tell you what gold is in it, they will only say if it's fake or not. And grade them. Any help would be really appreciated as this is really bugging me. Sorry to bang on so long.

There were five pound coins minted it 1902 but what you have sounds very suspect, if it was 1902 it should have Edward VII on the obverse
    Id like to see a picture of this

Advertisement