Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1966 Pearse commemorative Coin

Options
  • 06-02-2013 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi
    I am trying to find details on 2 coins minted in 1966 for the 50th anniversary of the 1916 rising. The 2 coins are the 4oz and 2 oz pure gold (not really pure, but 22 carat) coins with pearse on the front, designed by paul vincze.
    There is very very little information on the internet, indeed, the only mention of these coins whatseoever online is from this short piece

http://irishmedals.org/gpage31.html

They cost 50 pound (irish punt) each back in 1966
    Using an inflation calculator i make that the equivalent today of about 750pound (irish punt)
    The price of gold in 1966 was about 35 usd per ounce, compared to 1600 and something today.
    The 4 ounce coin alone in gold value 5800 usd roughly, not even taking into account the historical significance of this coin, and also the fact that there seems to be very few around.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I'm not sure what information you are looking for as you don't seem to have any specific question and you already seem to know what they are. But if you are looking to buy or sell them or get a more accurate estimate on their value you should bring them along to the Dublin coin fair at the RDS at the end of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Napoleon111

hi blade
    thanks for your reply. in hindsight, i think your right, i didnt really ask a question! I have found out about as much as i can, but apart from the above, i cant seem to find anything else about these coins. and yes, i was wondering if anyone on here might no what sort of value could be attributed to these coins, and also, if there are many in circulation?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

i was wondering if anyone on here might no what sort of value could be attributed to these coins, and also, if there are many in circulation?

It would be very difficult to put a value on them for one simple reason, they aren't something you see selling every day. I thought I remembered a gold one selling at the Dublin coin auctions a few years ago but I just went through my old auction catalogs and only found the silver ones. The silver ones are common enough but the golds are extremely rare though I don't know the exact mintage.

You could bring them along to the RDS coin fair at the end of the month or if you don't plan on selling them now, just bring photos and details of them and get a few valuations. Personally I would hold out till 2016 before selling them, hopefully gold will have gone up by then too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Hi, first time poster here. I noticed the thread title and thought I'd ask here. I recently inherited some coins in a box and among them was a paper tube with 19 or 20 1916 50th anniversary coins in, not gold, just 10 shilling ordinary ones. The coins at each end look a bit tarnished but I'd imagine the others are all in mint condition, the tube has only had the ends opened. These would have come from my Grandfather who was a bank manager in the 60's. Can anyone place an approximate value on them? I saw one on fleabay currently at ST£20 and still bidding. Thanks.
    Blade wrote: »
    Personally I would hold out till 2016 before selling them, hopefully gold will have gone up by then too!

Sounds like good advice, maybe the 100th anniversary will increase the value.

Can anyone place an approximate value on them? I saw one on fleabay currently at ST£20 and still bidding. Thanks.

Sounds like good advice, maybe the 100th anniversary will increase the value.

In uncirculated condition as yours are and in quantities they would normally change hands for an ave of 25 Euro each. Of course selling them on ebay individually you might get a little bit more. My advice to the OP about holding out for the 100th anniversary was because their gold medals are extremely rare and in short supply while demand will no doubt increase, plus I honestly think precious metals will keep rising. However you have to consider that everyone is keeping their 1966 ten shillings aside hoping to make a killing in 2016, so no doubt there's going to be a huge flood of them on the market which may keep the prices down. There's a lot of them out there! Having said that they have steadily increased in value over recent years, only 6 or 7 years ago I was buying them up for 10 euro each. It's hard to tell what value these will have in 2016, I think the main determining factor will be the price of silver as there'll be no shortage of supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Thanks Blade, I'm in no hurry to sell, so I think I'll hang onto them and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭07734

i saw one for sale in john weldon auctioneers a while back (more than a year i would reckon), but can't remember the value. try www.jwa.ie and mail them?

I am trying to find details on 2 coins minted in 1966 for the 50th anniversary of the 1916 rising. The 2 coins are the 4oz and 2 oz pure gold (not really pure, but 22 carat) coins with pearse on the front, designed by paul vincze.

I saw these at the coin fair today so I enquired for you. They had a double set and also the two coins in single sets. Price was the same for both options. They had a tag of 8,500 Euro for both coins, the 4oz and 2oz. However keep in mind that's a retail starting price, I'm sure they could be got for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Napoleon111

Hi blade
    very many thanks for the information, I was hoping to go to the fair but had to go down the country, but its much appreciated that you took the time to post your info here.
    thanks again

Advertisement