Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coins & Banknotes Valuation Sticky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 8888noel8888

Yes by all means I’ll post a picture, as soon as I get a chance, but I can tell you now suspect would be an understatement for this, but I’ll post the picture anyway just to let others be aware of this, but I would still like to find out what gold is in it if any, and the quality of the gold. I just don't know where to take it. It’ll be tomorrow at least as I don't have them here with me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

this would be a proof coin
    depending on the condition, in this case it would make a big difference, around the €50 mark

Dad has one and it certainly looks silver, and heavier than a modern cupro-nickel piece of junk (something with a silver wash only in the case of US coins).

I have some coins, might post them here if you people don't mind.

sorry for the delay, here's the picture of the coin attached i hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

sorry for the delay, here's the picture of the coin attached i hope.

The monarch on the coin is Queen Victoria
    Its most likely made for a piece of jewellery like a medallion necklace or something like that, its hard to tell from the photos whether its gold or not, it could possibly be 9ct, take it to a jewellers and have it tested and weighed, if it is gold it will be worth a bit in scrap but if its brass or some other based it will be worthless

Dad has one and it certainly looks silver, and heavier than a modern cupro-nickel piece of junk (something with a silver wash only in the case of US coins).

I have some coins, might post them here if you people don't mind.

If you look at the side of american coins the silver ones will have an all silver rim and the based metal ones have a brown strip on the edge

Put up photos of what you have here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

As I always preface my comments on coins - I only have a passing interest and little knowledge but that one has fake written all over it. Is it supposed to be a sovereign? :confused:

Queen Victoria died 22/1/1901 so the 1902 date seems very odd.

The monarch on the coin is Queen Victoria
    Its most likely made for a piece of jewellery like a medallion necklace or something like that, its hard to tell from the photos whether its gold or not, it could possibly be 9ct, take it to a jewellers and have it tested and weighed, if it is gold it will be worth a bit in scrap but if its brass or some other based it will be worthless

Anthony, thank you very much, i will take it to a jeweler and see what they say to me. i'll let you know if your interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 calledforduty

love a valuation on this coin from you guys
    ive searched the net high and low....seen some great prices for them
    i have tried get valuations for this coin from many auctioneers across the globe....not replying..
    what i do know is that this is the hardest coin to find in the ormonde collection
    help be great lads

As I always preface my comments on coins - I only have a passing interest and little knowledge but that one has fake written all over it. Is it supposed to be a sovereign? :confused:

Queen Victoria died 22/1/1901 so the 1902 date seems very odd.

Its definitely not a genuine £5 coin
    Its modeled very closely on a 1887 jubilee piece and other than the date and the poor striking on the flan its a close resemblance to the real thing and would easily deceive a non collector, at the time these were in use it was a hell a of lot of money and anyone accepting these, ie a bank, would check it well to make sure its not a fake and straight away the date is a giveaway which makes me think this was made for jewellery much the same as you can buy brand new "sovereign rings" today that have a disk of metal that looks very similar to a sovereign
    http://www.greatvaluegold.co.uk/p1581-b8-half-rmedal.aspx#.UGuNlk3R7pw

nobody would make a fake as good and not get the date right so it must have been a case of a company making jewellery around the 1960s when laws werent as strict making the coin very similar but putting in an obvious flaw so they would not get accused of attempted counter fitting

Which is why I thing that it is possible that the coin would be made of 9ct gold, but its very unlikely 22ct like the original and its quite possible its made of brass and worthless but its worth getting checked out none the less

love a valuation on this coin from you guys
    ive searched the net high and low....seen some great prices for them
    i have tried get valuations for this coin from many auctioneers across the globe....not replying..
    what i do know is that this is the hardest coin to find in the ormonde collection
    help be great lads

there are alot of fakes of these doing the rounds with a good while and they come up on ebay from time to time so without seeing it in person I wouldnt put a value on it but there is a coin fair coiming up in the RDS, I think its on the 12th, 13th, 14th of this month but I must check the dates to be sure

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Well no, I'm afraid that's not correct. Assuming this is not a forgery (hard to tell from your photos) this would be the second rarest of the Ormonde issues of 1643 to 44 only, the Crown being scarcer. But there was gold coinage of 1646 and silver coinage of 1649 all of which are extremely rare and worth a hell of a lot more.

It's hard to put a figure on this twopence as it's not something you see coming up for auction every day, but I'd imagine you're looking at a minimum of 400 Euro if it's genuine. Best thing would be for you to bring it to the upcoming coin fair and have it assessed by a few different dealers. Mind me asking where you came across it? You can PM me if you wish to keep it private.

nice 1 blade for the reply...sound lad
    ive been in touch with a certain coin dealer.....he wants me to meet him at the coin fair in the rds 12 13 14th of this month and go straight to his stall with it....thats why im in touch with you guys...id love to get a proper price for it ....hard times....ya know yaself
    its defo not a forgery .......i know teres more to this collection of ormond coins thats rarer ok...but im told cause the size of it was easy to loose and hard to find
    seen them all in collins barracks ....coin section....great to see the hole set part from the gold 1s
    classic museum.....
    i was left it by my grandfather long time ago.....he told me to hang onto it incase of emergency funds

tks anthony....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

i was left it by my grandfather long time ago.....he told me to hang onto it incase of emergency funds

Clever man, these pieces are often referred to as 'emergency' money :)

By all means bring it to that dealer at the fair, but I wouldn't accept the first offer. You should check with at least 3 or 4 of them and see what they offer you. Oh and please do report back and let us know how much you get for it, if you don't mind. Just curious cause it's not a piece you see every day.

ha......yea emergency money

yea your rite about showing it to many first
    defo wont except the first offer.....play hard to get.......going up the first day.....then leave my number
    this dealer is from the states......so he has a few days to give top price or he be going home empty handed.....drive him insane
    defo will post bk with the outcome
    sending ya a pm of this dealer name.....check him out and his prices of theses coins

this dealer is from the states......
    sending ya a pm of this dealer name.....check him out and his prices of theses coins

I know who he is alright, before looking at your PM. I'll chat to you in private about it.

that be great blade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

A friend has asked me to buy one of these tokens for him. They are quite common on eBay and all for the year 1800. They seem genuine and the sellers reputable but I'm just curious as to why there are so many in circulation and why for this year only? A hoard perhaps or does somebody know different? :)

Enniscorthy%2BCoin%2B4%2BBoards.PNG

A friend has asked me to buy one of these tokens for him. They are quite common on eBay and all for the year 1800. They seem genuine and the sellers reputable but I'm just curious as to why there are so many in circulation and why for this year only? A hoard perhaps or does somebody know different? :)

They would be genuine, I don't know of any modern fakes, hardly worth forging them now when they don't have much value. I don't think I've ever seen a contemporary fake of these either and if there are some they'd be worth a lot more than the originals!

This was during a time when the mint in London failed to produce enough official coinage and small change was in short supply, so mining companies started producing their own copper tokens in large numbers. This is a HUGE area of numismatics and I'd be here all day going into it, but if you're interested look up the history of 'Conder tokens'. There was a huge collector interest in these too at the time so they weren't just minted for use as change. In short these tokens were minted by the truck eh... cart loads.

Robert Woodcock was the owner of this bank in Enniscorthy and he issued 2 different tokens, both dated 1800. His initials are in monogram on both. This is the other token he produced: http://www.adverts.ie/coins-notes/1800-woodcock-bank-enniscorthy-token/1630568

That's a pretty crap example from Adverts but at least you can make it out. Regal coinage was minted again for Ireland in 1805 so presumably all those Conder's were plentiful and stayed in circulation until then.

Here's a bit of history behind your particular token and what the image depicts:
    http://www.abccoinsandtokens.com/DH.Wexford.001.001.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Flowerbud

Hi
    I have 3 old irish coins and i'm wondering if they are worth any money.

They are all in little cardboard sleeve's
    • Saorstat Florin 2s 1937
    • Leat Reul 3d 1965
    • Reul 6d 1967
    Thanks confused.png

• Advertisement

Flowerbud wrote: »
    Hi
    I have 3 old irish coins and i'm wondering if they are worth any money.

They are all in little cardboard sleeve's
    • Saorstat Florin 2s 1937
    • Leat Reul 3d 1965
    • Reul 6d 1967
    Thanks confused.png

The florin had want to be in mint condition to have any value, if you post a clear picture of the harp side I'll tell you. But don't get too excited you're not talking about big money. The other 2 have no value worth talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 maithairgead

Thinking of selling a lot of coins, banknotes and callcards that have been lying about for a while collecting dust.

I know most of the coins are practically worthless, but there might be a few bits that might be worth something.

What would be the best way of selling this much stuff?

It's a lot to ask and probably hard for anyone to figure out but I'd appreciate a ballpark guess as to value.
    The link to the pictures is here => https://www.dropbox.com/sh/51pg1hxtbx2nw31/D97K-sVy8o

Thanks!

What would be the best way of selling this much stuff?

Considering you've got a good lot of stuff there and you are unsure of values, I wouldn't sell them on the likes of Adverts. I think the best thing you could do is bring them to the next coin fair at the RDS if you can hold out until Feb. and just sell the whole lot to dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

I recently found this at home and was curious as to what it was and where it originates from.

Any information or valuation would be great and appreciated:)

_MG_9933_1.JPG

_MG_9936_1.JPG

I recently found this at home and was curious as to what it was and where it originates from.

I've no idea what she's saying, but in that condition I'm afraid it's pretty much worthless...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭diabloro

Hi, I have a 1794 franklin press token here. Is there anywhere i could bring it to get professionally graded here in Ireland?

I can't find any links online other than posting it to England. This type coin has been auctioned before and can go from between $500 up to $8,000 depending on quality.

Lnk here to the franklin press token.... http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/franklin_press/franklinpresstoken.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭who what when

Not sure if this is the right thread but i found a 'backwards' 2 euro coin.
    By backwards i mean the stars are on the same side as the two rather than the harp side where it should be.
    The coin is from 2005. I dont know if its been tampered with however it doesnt look like it has been.

Any advice or information would be very much appreciated.

Not sure if this is the right thread but i found a 'backwards' 2 euro coin.
    By backwards i mean the stars are on the same side as the two rather than the harp side where it should be.
    The coin is from 2005. I dont know if its been tampered with however it doesnt look like it has been.

Any advice or information would be very much appreciated.

Sounds like the inner ring was popped out and put back in the other way. This has been discussed here before. If you post a clear picture of both sides I'll tell you exactly what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Buffalo Bill Cody

Would anyone be able to give a rough value on 8 x 1 Punt Lady Lavery banknotes(1975) with consecutive serial numbers. 20 x 1 Punt Queen Maev banknotes(1989) , consecutive serial no's again and a full set of series C Banknotes. All uncirculated.

Thanks!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DubPredator

hi i just found an old type £5 note (not that old) its dated 1993 and appears to be in nearly mint condition apart from some very minor creases. just wondering are these of any value? i know a dealer bought a £1 note off me last year. any help greatly appreciated.

Advertisement