Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England v India 2011

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

TrueDub wrote: »
    The really great teams win everywhere though - hence neither of these teams is great.

Yeah. Neither are great teams. By great I mean one of the best ever. West Inidies of 60s to 80s and Aussies of 2000s are great teams. Best teams ever.

Beasty wrote: »
    I really don't know - perhaps India and England are the extremes in terms of playing conditions, or maybe it's back to the argument there is simply too much international cricket being crammed in nowadays

After world cup we had one week break before IPL, then with no break we had to play in West Indies then travelled to England. It was obvious that our players were exhausted and we couldn't adapt in English conditions after playing in West Indies.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SD7792

Yet another comprehensive victory for India today. Kohli looks in very good form at the moment. Impressed with Aaron aswell.

Didn't like the way Nick Knight kept referring to this match as being Scotty Borthwick's 'real' debut. Fair enough if he makes the point once but repeating it was just very condescending..

Once more a comprehensive victory and a series white wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

While India were bad against the swinging ball in England , England have been hopeless against the spinning one in India

Methinks a similar drubbing awaits England when they visit India next winter for the return Test series:).....Payback will be complete then;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

booth70 wrote: »
    While India were bad against the swinging ball in England , England have been hopeless against the spinning one in India

Methinks a similar drubbing awaits England when they visit India next winter for the return Test series:).....Payback will be complete then;)

England are a fair to middling ODI team, but the test side is a different standard. The tests won't be easy, but they'll be a lot more competitive than this. I wouldn't suggest that either side count any chickens! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Truedub.

I think if India had their best eleven available in England it might have been a different story. They were missing 7 first team players. So it was really India A vs England's best team in England.

Now it's still India A against England's best 11 in India.

P.S. I'm sick to death of hearing that tests are the true tests and the pinnacle of cricket. You know what, I disagree. It's all very well to stand in a spot and defend for five hours and 'hit the bad balls.' But in my opinion the objective of the game is to score runs. And in limited overs you can defend all you like but you will end up losing. That is the true test of a batsman's skill IMO. Though you could argue that for bowlers it's about getting wickets. And for them perhaps tests are the better format.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

In fairness, I never said test cricket was better or worse, I said it was different, and had different standards i.e. some countries are better at it than others. I do happen to think it's better, but that's only my opinion and you've every right in the world to ignore it.

This is off-topic for this thread though, so I'll stop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

TrueDub wrote: »
    England are a fair to middling ODI team, but the test side is a different standard. The tests won't be easy, but they'll be a lot more competitive than this. I wouldn't suggest that either side count any chickens! :D

True....but if you look at England's batting and how clueless they have been against spin this series it was almost their Test batting line up minus Strauss and Prior and I wouldn't say Strauss is an exceptionally good player of spin himself

Morgan is easily their best batsman against spin and it would have been intersteing to see how he would have fared this series

I am sure the BCCI have already instructed the groundsmen to prepare turners for the return test series next winter...Just as everyone questioned whether India really deserved their no:1 Test status earlier this summer , England have to win in India (spinnning dustbowls or not ) to prove they are worthy of their no:1 status.

One thing's certain though.....the ECB will ensure that England are better prepared for that Test series than India were this summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

MUCH better from England, firmed up their place as number one T20 side, shame none of that spirit was there for the One-Dayers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement