Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England v India 2011

Options
  • 30-04-2011 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭

I must say I was a bit surprised by who the BCCI went for as the replacement for Kirsten not bcos he hasn't got the credentials but bcos I didn't realise Fletcher had expressed any interest.....

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-04-27/top-stories/29478260_1_test-rankings-duncan-fletcher-indian-team

....but what really annoyed me was the reaction to his appointment by these two gentlemen:mad::mad:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/apr/28/kapil-dev-sunil-gavaskar-duncan-fletcher

Kirsten probably did not know a word of any of the Indian languages let alone the national language Hindi and yet at the end of his three years in charge India are no 1 in tests and world cup winners.....so Gavaskar's comments are beyond the scope of any reasonable logic!!

As for Kapil Dev's reaction.....If he really didn't know of Fletcher as a player surely he must have heard of him as a coach after the greatest series of all time in 2005!!!

Gavaskar has always been the Boycott of Indian cricket (selfish and with his own personal agendas) but didn't expect that from Kapil Dev:mad:

That aside looking forward to what should be a great series:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Not sure how much India really need to worry who their coach is, providing he can motivate the players, he has some of the true greats of world cricket to play with and I think by now they have a rough idea what they are doing!!!!

I agree, I think it will be a terrific series, packed stadium, large Indian support, lots of noise and atmosphere. I hope England continue their Test form and pick it up a bit in the one dayers. The games against Sri Lanka will be a good series too. Couple of my family will be going to the Nottingham game for the India series. £30 for day four isn't bad, might try and get over myself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Looks like the mind games have begun already.....:):)

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-india-2011/content/current/story/513040.html

Swanny's biggest test is this summer against India

dooferoaks wrote: »
    I agree, I think it will be a terrific series, packed stadium, large Indian support, lots of noise and atmosphere. I hope England continue their Test form and pick it up a bit in the one dayers. The games against Sri Lanka will be a good series too. Couple of my family will be going to the Nottingham game for the India series. £30 for day four isn't bad, might try and get over myself!!

I note there are several websites selling tickets for the series...Which is the best (reliable) and cheapest website to get tickets from?....Is it the ECB one?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Not sure how much India really need to worry who their coach is, providing he can motivate the players, he has some of the true greats of world cricket to play with and I think by now they have a rough idea what they are doing!!!!

I think the ODI series between Sri Lanka and England will be much more competitive than the Test Stuff. No Malinga and Murali means wickets in the longer format will be tough.

The India series will be a cracker, England would be slight favorites because apart from Zaheer I don't trust any of the bowlers to be consistent enough to win games.

booth70 wrote: »
    I note there are several websites selling tickets for the series...Which is the best (reliable) and cheapest website to get tickets from?....Is it the ECB one?

Not sure about cheapest, but my family always get their tickets from the ECB linked site. They haven't had any problems I don't think.

• Advertisement

This is interesting....

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte...ry/513742.html

Three different captains for England.....will be interesting to see how the team dynamics vary between the 3 captains across 3 different formats of the game

Is that the end for Colly as an England player?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

probably, to be fair he's only really been contributing with his fielding lately.

Absolutely farcical that the UDRS will not be used during the second half of this summer when India play England:mad:

The only way the BCCI will finally agree to the use of the UDRS will be if Tendulkar is adjudged LBW to a ball pitching miles outside leg stump when he is on 99 at Lords this summer;)

Absolutely farcical that the UDRS will not be used during the second half of this summer when India play England:mad:

The only way the BCCI will finally agree to the use of the UDRS will be if Tendulkar is adjudged LBW to a ball pitching miles outside leg stump when he is on 99 at Lords this summer;)

Some absolute shockers from Mr.Harper today at Sabina Park......the UDRS might have saved quite a few of the Indians today!!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Even the BCCI should anticipate a Harper game and think about using UDRS:D

I have no faith in the West Indies knocking off the total :(

• Advertisement

India crrrraaaawwwwwwl to 8 for 2 after 11 overs:mad::mad:

Where is Sehwag when you need him?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

England need to drop Broad for Bresnan for this series. Can't see it happening though, they love him for some reason.

England need to drop Broad for Bresnan for this series. Can't see it happening though, they love him for some reason.

I think hes ok, but the reason he will get a fairer crack of the whip than others is his Surname. His dad was an established England player and his sister does some made up job or another for the England team too.

India taking an injured Sehwag is a risk but to be fair Vijay and Makund have looked very avergae in the West Indies series. Kohli has also struggled but it would be insanity to write of his test prospects yet, out of all the young guns I think his game is best suited to the longer format.

Sharma has done very well this series, shocked that he is still only 22:eek::eek::eek:

India are notoriously slow starters on overseas tours as 'evidenced' by the pasting the bowlers have taken today on a belter

I expect England to start strongly in the test series and India to come back at them later on

Difficult to call this series but I going for England 1 India 2.....should be an absolute cracker weather permitting!!

India in tatters in their only warmup match before the test series........hopefully not a sign of things to come:(

India in tatters in their only warmup match before the test series........hopefully not a sign of things to come:(

Hopefully it is!!! I think though, to be honest, its best to get an indifferent performance out of the way in a warm up game. No comparison between the Indian teams attitude in a meaningless warm up and a massive series against England.

Hopefully Englands selectors will be brave enough to drop Broad and go with Bressnan, looks like its one or the other going by the 12 man squad announced.

Its going to be a lively series with a lively crowd, really looking forward to it now.

What will it take to drop Broad...

Don't see there being any more play today, miserable weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Nation 98

Fingers crossed for Zaheer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SD7792

Yep. He was bowling incredibly today. 2-13 which truely should have been 3-9 if it wasn't for that grandad at slip :P

Hope he recovers quickly..

236 for 3 with Dhoni bowling at Petersen:(:(.....This is getting awfully painful to watch if you are an Indian supporter:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

236 for 3 with Dhoni bowling at Petersen:(:(.....This is getting awfully painful to watch if you are an Indian supporter:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Are you an Indian supporter specifically or just a supporter of whoever are playing England? :pac:

Magnificent double ton from Pietersen. The big man is coming back at last!

It would be fantastic to see a wicket or two fall before the end of play. Mukund is a weak link here as has already been alluded to. Jimmy swinging the ball a fair bit in this short spell.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Are you an Indian supporter specifically or just a supporter of whoever are playing England? :pac:

He's an Indian supporter, for definite.

It would be fantastic to see a wicket or two fall before the end of play. Mukund is a weak link here as has already been alluded to. Jimmy swinging the ball a fair bit in this short spell.

That's the idea behind the declaration, but if it doesn't happen it won't be the end of the world either.

Should've been out for 49:P

The series needs Zaheer desperately. Broad out first ball..

dfx- wrote: »
    What will it take to drop Broad...

Quite a lot after today...:pac:

Broad has been unbelievable today. Could have had 5!

Great support from the rest of the bowlers, England really on a high at this stage.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Quite a lot after today...:pac:

Ah, but no contribution from the bat and is that what they're looking from him?:P

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Broad shows another reason to keep him in the side - 74no allowing Prior to get his century

England declare at 269-6, leaving India requiring 458 with 128 overs left in the match

If ever Sachin needed that century ....

.... don't think it's going to happen though

• Advertisement

Absolutely magnificent innings from Matty Prior. By far the best wicketkeeper batsman in the world at the moment for me, backed up by statistics.

Broad is on fire too. Really important runs and already finding the breakthrough. Tough times for India but these two at the crease can certainly put up quite a stand.

Advertisement