Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Royalty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

I would like to see a source for that. Statistics can say anything, the Windsors/Saxe-Coburg Gotha's have a huge PR machine dedicated to justifying their existence. God only knows what was spent on the wedding and the British economy will loose billions because the whole country ground to a halt because of it, nothing can justify such a vulgar waste of money, especially when the British public are being told to accept 'austerity'.

Looks like its more like 34 - 37m from looking on google, sorry not posting links because my internet is real slow.
    I do think a traveler king going around hassling snobs would be great fun....in fact i might have an idea for a new sit-com, well one episode of a new sit-com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Gunnerkid wrote: »
    I take it your McMahon???

McCarthy Mórs

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Gunnerkid

Although others later claimed the title, the last native Ard Rí (High King) is often stated to have been Ruaidhrí Ua Conchobair (in English, Rory or Roderick O'Connor), a member of the Ua Conchobair dynasty who were kings of Connacht and Ireland
    I would quite like to see an Irish Royal Family. It would create Tourisim and it has a certain romantic charm to it. Ireland is a land steeped in culture and folklore and a King or Queen would suit the country.

if your interested in that sort of stuff check the links I left on the last past interesting when you read what those families have to say about their history

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

charlemont wrote: »
    Hugo O Neill is a direct descendent of the O Neill family, He lives in Lisboa.

This Hugo is of the Ó Néill family of Clann Aodha Buidhe (Clandeboye), rather than of Tir Eoghain. The former were among the first families in Ulster to be overthrown by the English when in 1571-1575 the newly established English colony in Antrim broke their power in Clandeboye, most infamously with the Christmas feast massacre in 1574 by Walter Devereux, first earl of Essex, of Brían mac Féilim Ó Néill and some 200 of his family and friends:

'M1574.4

Peace, sociality, and friendship, were established between Brian, the son of Felim Bacagh O'Neill, and the Earl of Essex; and a feast was afterwards prepared by Brian, to which the Lord Justice and the chiefs of his people were invited; and they passed three nights and days together pleasantly and cheerfully. At the expiration of this time, however, as they were agreeably drinking and making merry, Brian, his brother, and his wife, were seized upon by the Earl, and all his people put unsparingly to the sword, men, women, youths, and maidens, in Brian's own presence. Brian was afterwards sent to Dublin, together with his wife and brother, where they were cut in quarters. Such was the end of their feast. This unexpected massacre, this wicked and treacherous murder of the lord of the race of Hugh Boy O'Neill, the head and the senior' URL=http://www.ucc.ie/celt/published/T100005E/index.html]Annals of the Four Masters (M1574.4)[/URL

The Ó Néill of Tir Eoghain, the main branch of the family, was quite different. It left from Rathmullan in 1607 under Aodh Mór Ó Néill, the Ó Néill and 2nd earl of Tyrone, who led the Irish side in the Nine Years War (1594-1603).

Tom Bartlett was on RTÉ Radio 1 this morning saying Desmond O'Connor Don from Sussex in England has probably the most right to claim the high kingship today - his eighteenth-century ancestor, Charles O'Conor of Belanagare in Roscommon of the Ó Conchubhair Donn traced his own lineage back to Ruaidrí Ua Conchobair, the last high king of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

I say give it a go. We couldn't end up with a worse shower of gob****es running the country than Democracy has given us for the past 30 years.

• Advertisement

Seloth wrote: »
    McCarthy Mórs Dundons

sorry those Limerick lads dont count :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Are the O'Connor Dons not the inheritors of the kingdom of Ireland were we to go and piss away millions on that folly?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Although others later claimed the title, the last native Ard Rí (High King) is often stated to have been Ruaidhrí Ua Conchobair (in English, Rory or Roderick O'Connor), a member of the Ua Conchobair dynasty who were kings of Connacht and Ireland
    I would quite like to see an Irish Royal Family. It would create Tourisim and it has a certain romantic charm to it. Ireland is a land steeped in culture and folklore and a King or Queen would suit the country. Why shouldnt we have one? our tradition of High Kings was stripped from us by the British. We shouldnt except that.

How so? Have you ever been inclined to visit Belgium or Norway purely because they have monarchies? How many people from this part of the world even know Denmark and Sweden have monarchies?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

So with the British Royal wedding today and the Queens visit in May has got me thinking, imagine if Ireland had a Royal family, what would it be like??, would you support it or would you be against it.
    I personally couldn't see it doing any harm and as seen with other world royal families they bring in money and tourism into their countries, however I could see different families fighting over the title of royal family of Ireland as we were left with a good few ruling clans before the British entered Ireland.

What is your view on political dynasties like Lenihan-O'Rourke, Aheren, Kitt, Fitzgerald, Haughey-Lemass, Blaney, Spring, Healy Rae?

The way these families have carried on, they have acted as if its their birth right to be elected public representatives. Could you really see much difference with them and a royal family?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Daegerty wrote: »
    I'd be all for it. A King would have no problem standing up against the fecking EU and their high interest rate

They'd be better than Fianna Fail or the current shower any day

When was the last time a British Monarch had real power, real influence over the government? You mistaken for a dictator?

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    How so? Have you ever been inclined to visit Belgium or Norway purely because they have monarchies? How many people from this part of the world even know Denmark and Sweden have monarchies?

You might not go to a country for the sole purpose of seeing a royal family or where they live but it is often one of the things tourists visit alongside other attractions in a country. Last time I was in the UK and outside Buckingham Palace there were hundreds if not thousands of tourists from all over the world getting their picture taken in front of it. If you have been to London ever notice the amount of tourist shops all selling stuff to do with the Royal Family and the Queen its unbelievable. The Royal Family is definitely a huge tourist attraction for the Uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

We don't need a royal family; there's already a dumb bunch of inbred f**ks who look down on the rest of the population - Fianna Fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

No, because the English do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Royal Blood what is that all about, so dose that mean they in some way are an elite family who are better than me. They inherit a public office the cost of keeping them is high. So none of this I like, it really iritates me.

But then you look at the pride shown across the UK by the majority at the wedding of william and kate. You see obvious the general pride in there flag, BMW mini offers a union jack on the roof for example, products sell well of being alinged with there flag. They have great national pride and their monarchy is an element of this.

On the other hand we seem to tag what this nation is and thats republican with the troubles. We very rarely get passionate about how good we have things here. We dont seem to have that great pride here unless an outsider knocks us. This forum has a tread asking what in the past made me ashamed to be Irish. Whats that all about hey!!!

If you put aside the issue of what is happening in Ulster for this, we need to focus our selves on the positives, aim to have ideas to improve the negatives and be alot more proud of our flag, our nation and in general its people.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

I'd support an Irish Royalty but unfortunately the English powers-that-be did a pretty good job of finishing off what the Irish Celt's had going for themselve's up until the 1200s...
    It's a shame really because the ancient royal Irish houses predate the english by many thousand's of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭francie81

bring in money

Yes they steal it I guarantee if many of you (and am not saying I know all) read up and know your history you will understand that the Brits & Americans and see it differently, look what happened in Egypt didn't that uprising come down to royalty maybe its only a taster of whats to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

chin_grin wrote: »
    It's Bouquet! :pac:
    whats that mrs bucket:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

namloc1980 wrote: »

i've been hoping against hope that i'd bump into one of the swedish princesses for a long time!!

thank fcuk no one has mentioned the feckin guinness family, who seem to get off on being trumpeted as ireland's unofficial royal family. my ar5e ye are! :mad:

Blisterman wrote: »
    Well if David Norris get's elected president, we'll once again be ruled by a queen!
    lol :D:D:D

smokedeels wrote: »
    We'd get to chop their heads off :D
    id be the chief exeacutionar off with their heads:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

I said yes, purely because I can just imagine how much good the wedding today did for the British economy. We could do with a royal family over here to help our tourist industry & failing economy out.

You might not go to a country for the sole purpose of seeing a royal family or where they live but it is often one of the things tourists visit alongside other attractions in a country. Last time I was in the UK and outside Buckingham Palace there were hundreds if not thousands of tourists from all over the world getting their picture taken in front of it. If you have been to London ever notice the amount of tourist shops all selling stuff to do with the Royal Family and the Queen its unbelievable. The Royal Family is definitely a huge tourist attraction for the Uk.

The point is that the tourists come to see the castles/palaces/crown jewels etc. They don't come to see an elitist family. If the Windsors weren't there the palaces would still be there and would still attract tourists. Look at the Palace of Versailles in France. It attracts more tourists than most of the palaces/castles belonging to the Windsor Crown in the UK yet the French haven't had a monarch since 1870. Or the Habsburg palaces in Vienna. These attract huge amounts of tourists yet there hasn't been a monarch in Austria since 1918.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

i voted no,not for some republican reason but because the idea that some family is better than any other family in ireland is laughable.......although if the title is there ill throw my name into the hat king michael l****y of tallaght descendent of crumlin/clondalkin of the slane bloodline of french farming settlers :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

no - we dont need another drain on taxpayers coffers. and thats all it'd amount to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

actually i did go to denmark and visited the royal castle , i went to london and did the same. loads of people do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I voted no because the idea of ascribed status in a modern democracy is breathtakingly ridiculous. In saying that the idea of Irish royalty is pretty interesting and as said the O' Conor Don family seem to be the top dogs were that to come about.

As for all the people claiming to be distantly related to Brian Boru and other figures, the guy lived 1000 years ago and we have a comparatively small population, probably every person in the country is related to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

dr gonzo wrote: »
    I voted no because the idea of ascribed status in a modern democracy is breathtakingly ridiculous. In saying that the idea of Irish royalty is pretty interesting and as said the O' Conor Don family seem to be the top dogs were that to come about.

As for all the people claiming to be distantly related to Brian Boru and other figures, the guy lived 1000 years ago and we have a comparatively small population, probably every person in the country is related to him.

actually there is what would be a close line of descendants to Brian Boru, which would be headed by Conor O'Brien which I believe he holds the title as Prince of Munster and his family live on the Grounds of Dromoland Castle which has always historically belonged to the O'Brien family. What we can learn from this situation is that there is a few families that would be arguing over the title of Irish royal family, if we were to allow a Royal family to become officially part of the country it would be a long process in deciding which exact family deserves the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

wow didint know that about the 1916 leaders :eek::eek:

heres a link to that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Joachim_of_Prussia

Wikipedia fail!! 1916 was an IRB rising. Irish Republican Brotherhood!

actually i did go to denmark and visited the royal castle , i went to london and did the same. loads of people do

Yes you visited the castle, did you do so specifically because of Queen Margrethe II and her clan or just to see the castle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

Wikipedia fail!! 1916 was an IRB rising. Irish Republican Brotherhood!

ya and it says republican leaders it just didn't go anymore specific then that.

Advertisement