Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Royalty

Options
  • 29-04-2011 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

So with the British Royal wedding today and the Queens visit in May has got me thinking, imagine if Ireland had a Royal family, what would it be like??, would you support it or would you be against it.
    I personally couldn't see it doing any harm and as seen with other world royal families they bring in money and tourism into their countries, however I could see different families fighting over the title of royal family of Ireland as we were left with a good few ruling clans before the British entered Ireland.

Would You Support a Irish Royal Family 32 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 32 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

The ra would have assassinated them decades ago.
    We'd be in the middle of an anastasia style controversy involving some traveller bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

FFS...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

settle it with a scrap, traveller style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

I'd be all for it. A King would have no problem standing up against the fecking EU and their high interest rate

They'd be better than Fianna Fail or the current shower any day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Where's the Atari Jaguar option?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Hyacinth Bucket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Sounds like an interesting idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Monarchies are irrelevant in modern democracies. We already pay a president a fat salary to fulfill an ambassadors role for the country. Why would we need anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

orourkeda wrote: »
    Hyacinth Bucket

It's Bouquet! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Gunnerkid

Didn't the leaders of 1916 want to invite over some Prussian prince?

And Sinn Féin was founded as a monarchist party. Well dual monarchy anyway

wow didint know that about the 1916 leaders :eek::eek:

heres a link to that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Joachim_of_Prussia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Absolutely, unequivocally, no. Never ever forever never.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Well I don't really seeing them adding anything to the country so it wouldn't be something I'd support.

Unless you're asking me to take the job, in which case I'm all for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Gunnerkid wrote: »
    So with the British Royal wedding today and the Queens visit in May has got me thinking, imagine if Ireland had a Royal family, what would it be like??, would you support it or would you be against it.
    I personally couldn't see it doing any harm and as seen with other world royal families they bring in money and tourism into their countries, however I could see different families fighting over the title of royal family of Ireland as we were left with a good few ruling clans before the British entered Ireland.

So we'd make Ivor Callely an institution and support him and his offspring and descendants forevermore. Great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Gunnerkid wrote: »
    wow didint know that about the 1916 leaders :eek::eek:

heres a link to that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Joachim_of_Prussia

Interesting alright, and I just deleted my first post by accident.

Anyways it depends
    Yes to Munster ruling everyone like Brian Ború
    No to some High King in Meath

UP MUNSTER!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Well if David Norris get's elected president, we'll once again be ruled by a queen!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

Well the nearest we had were the Ahearn's when the Celtic Tiger was in full swing and look how that turned out.
    The only way it could work was if we offered it to the Gaddaffi and his kin as long has he gave us the €80 billion he has stashed away and he had no control over the army.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

Bah. Most of us have gotten over bowing and scrapeing to Priests and Politicians so why replace it;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Hugo O Neill is a direct descendent of the O Neill family, He lives in Lisboa.

Blisterman wrote: »
    Well if David Norris get's elected president, we'll once again be ruled by a queen!
    OOoooohhh. Thats new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

The Corrs?

Has anybody traced the bloodline from the Irish Kings?

smokedeels wrote: »
    The Corrs?

Has anybody traced the bloodline from the Irish Kings?
    I bet Jim has.

I bet Jim has.

...I think that was just a test to show he was free from the Orion Lizard taint....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Unsure why anyone would want an unelected family, with an over-inflated sense of self-importance as our head of state. At least our president is elected, and doesn't cost the state billions in declaring a national holiday for a wedding. The idea of a royal family is an archaic idea, that should have been buried 100 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

dlofnep wrote: »
    Unsure why anyone would want an unelected family, with an over-inflated sense of self-importance as our head of state. At least our president is elected, and doesn't cost the state billions in declaring a national holiday for a wedding. The idea of a royal family is an archaic idea, that should have been buried 100 years ago.

the thing is the royal family generate billions from tourism and the selling of tat, but it is an archaic idea and elitist

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

Im a descendant of Brian Boru so all ye bow down to me and build my palace overlooking Dublin City :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

God, what a horrible idea. At least with our wretched politicians, we have the chance to vote them out. I shudder to think of someone like Bertie or Charle Haughey lording it over us for life.

.....I think the closest thing we had to royalty here was CJ Haughey - arrogant, corrupt, tempramental, greedy, filled with a sense of his own 'greatness' and entitlement....its bad enough we elect the eejits now and again without giving them and their line jobs for life forever....

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

Ireland had too much royalty back when it was important, they couldn't decide who should rule who, and destroyed eachother. The End.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Einhard wrote: »
    God, what a horrible idea. At least with our wretched politicians, we have the chance to vote them out. I shudder to think of someone like Bertie or Charle Haughey lording it over us for life.

We'd get to chop their heads off :D

Advertisement