Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Royalty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

I read somewhere the British monarchy cost the UK tax payer £14m but raises £150 - £200 million per annum in tourism etc, also the princes trust gives over £40m to charity each year - doesn't seem like a bad investment if its true. (ill try and find a relevant link)

A traveler king would be great - international arguments could be settled with fist fights and televised!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Gunnerkid wrote: »
    So with the British Royal wedding today and the Queens visit in May has got me thinking, imagine if Ireland had a Royal family, what would it be like??, would you support it or would you be against it.
    I personally couldn't see it doing any harm and as seen with other world royal families they bring in money and tourism into their countries, however I could see different families fighting over the title of royal family of Ireland as we were left with a good few ruling clans before the British entered Ireland.

So you wouldn't mid paying taxes to keep a bunch of wasters and parasites living in the lap of luxury. Monarchy is a throwback to feudalism, it is a plague on humanity and always has been. Humanity needs to move on and discard monarchy altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

we have enough with a President.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

We have a king, he lives on Oileán Thoraigh (Tory)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Gunnerkid

So you wouldn't mid paying taxes to keep a bunch of wasters and parasites living in the lap of luxury. Monarchy is a throwback to feudalism, it is a plague on humanity and always has been. Humanity needs to move on and discard monarchy altogether.

if you look above some guy posted that the royal family in the UK cost about 14 million in taxes but they bring in around 150 million sounds pretty good to me. Plus modern royal families like the British one dont really rule a country they are more of a representation and a tourist attraction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

lcrcboy wrote: »
    Im a descendant of Brian Boru so all ye bow down to me and build my palace overlooking Dublin City :D

So am i so hello my very distant relative :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Icaras wrote: »
    I read somewhere the British monarchy cost the UK tax payer £14m but raises £150 - £200 million per annum in tourism etc, also the princes trust gives over £40m to charity each year - doesn't seem like a bad investment if its true. (ill try and find a relevant link)

A traveler king would be great - international arguments could be settled with fist fights and televised!

....it also enshrines the idea that merit is inherited and has some rather dubious goings on ignored for PR's sake....you might remember the whole wikileaks thing about bribery....then a certain princes house being bought by a resident of a nicely corrupt country for 3 million STG over the asking price....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Kerry the Kingdom have a goat for King during Puck Fair

Isn't he looking majestic
    http://www.puckfair.ie/index.php

Queer folks down in Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Icaras wrote: »
    raises £150 - £200 million per annum in tourism etc, also the princes trust gives over £40m to charity each year

Much of which is centralized in London. We happen to be a very generous nation and have similar charities.

Tory Island has a king AFAIK well one of the Island has a King.

I would be againist an Irish Monarchy they would have just been the same as the British ones, while more recently the British Monarch is only a figure head, they did have a huge amount of power in previous centuries.

We would prob have an Irish Commonwealth or at least countries in Africa and America.

We would speak Irish and possibly have a large population due to industrialization which past Ireland by due to large scale industrialization and centralisation in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

NTMK wrote: »

we should take over the country and form a ruling family and get the commoners to build are palaces :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭snugglebear

No, I wouldn't be up for that, where would you even start :confused:
    The president will do just fine.
    Having a Royal Family would just result in major arguements and propbabley lead to another civil war ( last thing we need) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

we should take over the country and form a ruling family and get the commoners to build are palaces :D
    perfect just the small problem of getting rid of the remaining o'briens:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

No matter how much money it could bring in, it is just not right that someone would be born with immediate power. You might not like our politicians, but at least we can vote them in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

perfect just the small problem of getting rid of the remaining o'briens:D

not to mention all the O'Briens with name changes Like McMahon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Gunnerkid wrote: »
    if you look above some guy posted that the royal family in the UK cost about 14 million in taxes but they bring in around 150 million sounds pretty good to me. Plus modern royal families like the British one dont really rule a country they are more of a representation and a tourist attraction.

I would like to see a source for that. Statistics can say anything, the Windsors/Saxe-Coburg Gotha's have a huge PR machine dedicated to justifying their existence. God only knows what was spent on the wedding and the British economy will loose billions because the whole country ground to a halt because of it, nothing can justify such a vulgar waste of money, especially when the British public are being told to accept 'austerity'.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Naw, who needs them. I could never understand this deference to some twat who got lucky to come out of the right womb bollocks at all.

Especially with the Brits an otherwise very sensible bunch. Bowing and scraping to inbred Hapsburg Germans? That's not a slur BTW, they are incredibly inbred. The last Czar and George V were cousins and would be hard to separate in a line up. This is the current queen of Englands grandfather. Now when they found what looked like the remains of the Czar and his family, who did they ask for DNA to hep confirm it? Not The queen, but her husband Prince Philip. Genetic damage ahoy. FFS They're more like brother and sister at this stage and look at the state of their progeny. Like I say the Brits and especially the English a sensible bunch normally seem to have a blind spot about royals. Always have had. I mean the last truly English king to sit on the throne was probably Harold and he got shot in the eye for his trouble. They didn't have an English king who could speak the language for the guts of 400 years. French Normans the lot of them. Then you had the Tudors(mostly Welsh, the two gingers Henry and Lizzie 1) and after a bit of tooing and frooing starts get all a bit Dutch and Austrian after that. Though to be fair they've sought to make them more and more a figurehead so that's a start.
    charlemont wrote: »
    Hugo O Neill is a direct descendent of the O Neill family, He lives in Lisboa.
    He's a distant rellie of mine and with other genealogical stuff on my side, I'd have some claim if I offed a few cousins. This would be a Very Bad Idea. So no, no, thrice nay. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

nothing can justify such a vulgar waste of money, especially when the British public are being told to accept 'austerity'.
    Yea but that's old hat. Big pomp and circumstance stuff today is not a million miles away from the games of Rome. Give them stale bread and the circus and they'll think themselves happy. telivise it in HDTV and they'll effin wet themselves.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

charlemont wrote: »
    Hugo O Neill is a direct descendent of the O Neill family, He lives in Lisboa.
    Im a descendant of Brian Boru so all ye bow down to me and build my palace overlooking Dublin City :D
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Naw, who needs them. I could never understand this deference to some twat who got lucky to come out of the right womb bollocks at all.

He's a distant rellie of mine and with other genealogical stuff on my side, I'd have some claim if I offed a few cousins.

The O'Neills against Brian Ború

Civil war, bring it on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I would like to see a source for that. Statistics can say anything, the Windsors/Saxe-Coburg Gotha's have a huge PR machine dedicated to justifying their existence. God only knows what was spent on the wedding and the British economy will loose billions because the whole country ground to a halt because of it, nothing can justify such a vulgar waste of money, especially when the British public are being told to accept 'austerity'.

Surely waste of money wouldn't disappear if the whole monarchy was disbanded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

One side of my family is direct decadents fro the former kings of Munster..After the Brits got our "turf" durig the plantations they became pirates and attacked British trade ships :D

• Advertisement

apparently these three main families are gunning for the position of royal family but the McMahons historically are considered really a branch of the O'Briens, didn't know they made websites about it!!

http://www.obrienclan.com/

http://www.oneillclans.com/

http://www.orgsites.com/ca/clanmacmahon/

they are the clan webpages

Seloth wrote: »
    One side of my family is direct decadents fro the former kings of Munster..After the Brits got our "turf" durig the plantations they became pirates and attacked British trade ships :D

I take it your McMahon???

BTW telling people that you are descendent from Irish kings isn't much of a thing to tell as most people are related to Niall of the Nine Hostages, who had 2 wives (one of African/Eygptian lineage) and 10 sons.
    The geneticists estimated that there are about 2-3 million males alive today who descend in the male-line from Niall

In the world I assume could be wrong.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article788652.ece

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Crosáidí wrote: »
    the thing is the royal family generate billions from tourism and the selling of tat, but it is an archaic idea and elitist

Do they really though?? I can't imagine too many tourists come to the UK purely to see the Windsors. They come to see the castles and palaces etc but do they really come to see a bunch of elitists? The Palace of Versailles has substantially more visitors annually than Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle combined yet the French haven't had a monarch since Napoleon III in 1870. You could actually validly argue that if the Windsors weren't residing in these locations, and as such they are not fully open to the public, you would actually get more tourists a la Versailles.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Do they really though?? I can't imagine too many tourists come to the UK purely to see the Windsors. They come to see the castles and palaces etc but do they really come to see a bunch of elitists? The Palace of Versailles has substantially more visitors annually than Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle combined yet the French haven't had a monarch sine Napoleon III in 1870. You could actually validly argue that if the Windsors weren't residing in these locations and as such they are not fully open to the public, you would actually get more tourists a la Versailles.

So what are you telling us? by killing of the royal family in some horrific way and opening their homes to the public, the British would instantly see a return to the British Economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

ah jog on would ya....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Nope. Nobody has any divine right to have what royalty around the world have, and all this bowing down to them is kind of embarrassing to watch. The wedding today pretty much confirmed to me what I've always thought about monarchy. Here are the middle and working classes of Britain going absolutely ape sh*t over people they don't know and have nothing in common with, while they wave down on the great unwashed and throw millions of pounds of tax payers money into a public wedding. I just feel like monarchy is the ultimate symbol of class inequality.

ah jog on would ya....

what :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Elmo wrote: »
    So what are you telling us? by killing of the royal family in some horrific way and opening their homes to the public, the British would instantly see a return to the British Economy.

No not what I said....you might need to read the points again....and again if you don't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

Although others later claimed the title, the last native Ard Rí (High King) is often stated to have been Ruaidhrí Ua Conchobair (in English, Rory or Roderick O'Connor), a member of the Ua Conchobair dynasty who were kings of Connacht and Ireland
    I would quite like to see an Irish Royal Family. It would create Tourisim and it has a certain romantic charm to it. Ireland is a land steeped in culture and folklore and a King or Queen would suit the country. Why shouldnt we have one? our tradition of High Kings was stripped from us by the British. We shouldnt except that.

Advertisement