Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up the smokes today!

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Lavattack

Sorry guys :(

Found a full pack in my drawer there a while ago and just couldn't stop myself.What a pr!ck. Didn't even know they were there!

I'm sickened after the good start but nothing I can do now. I will try again tomorrow and will probably go get patches or something when chemist open again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Lavattack wrote: »

Found a full pack in my drawer there a while ago and just couldn't stop myself.What a pr!ck. Didn't even know they were there!

I'm sickened after the good start but nothing I can do now. I will try again tomorrow and will probably go get patches or something when chemist open again.

Is this your first time giving them up ?

most people fail the first time. throw the rest of them away now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

There was an audible awh from me reading that.sorry to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Ah here, don't be apologising...........:(

It's only a set back and if I recall you've said that you've never tried to quit before so it's almost inevitable that you'll have setbacks but the important thing is to not stop trying..

My 2 sisters smoked way more than I ever did. About 8 years ago the 2 of them quit at the same time.
    One sister just stopped and never smoked again (she was the heavier smoker of the two)
    The other sister stayed off for about 5 months but then developed mental cravings and would regularly be found puffing away on a night out. She now hasn't smoked for the past 6 years but she did struggle for the first 2 years with mad craves every now and again......

Everybody goes thru it differently and there is no shame in falling off the wagon (so to speak) as long as you stop again:)

Ya my first attempt.

Cheers for support guys. I will be damned if I buy more so I will be waking up tomorrow with no ciggy's left. Being honest I have smoked a few since and they don't taste nice at all but when I am going to bed I am going to wet the pack so they are no more good and start again in the morning.

I was actually surprised because I heard how hard it is that I lasted that long. Oh well. Cheers again for support :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Relapse is pretty normal. Don't beat yourself up. Give it another go when you feel ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭b.o.m.d.a.s.

3/4 days is a good attempt.

i was off them for 3 days last month and the first few tasted rotten chemically too.

so now your aim is to beat 4 days next time:)

i should really be thinking aboot quitting again soon , even for a few days.
    take care:)

*Sits patiently and awaits jive*

*Sits patiently and awaits jive*

Haha, I thought the excact same thing when I read your post earlier........He's gonna have a field day with you, get ready:eek::pac::pac:

Haha, I thought the excact same thing when I read your post earlier........He's gonna have a field day with you, get ready:eek::pac::pac:

Oh its gonna be epic!!

He is gonna be having fun :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

He got banned from another thread last night - I don't know if it's forum wide. Bit of a wind up merchant. And borderline troll imo.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056254517&page=12

Look at the 3rd or 4th page of this thread. I think the same but is also kinda funny guy. It was AH so hope it was just the thread not the whole AH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Look at the 3rd or 4th page of this thread. I think the same but is also kinda funny guy. It was AH so hope it was just the thread not the whole AH

Well are you still off them?

How's it going Lavattack??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tigger25

Would anyone recommend a hypnotherapist in Dublin/Galway? Desperately need to give up the fags and am willing to splash out on this occasion. it'd probably cost the same amount as a month's supply of fags anyway. i take my hat off to all the cold turkeys.. it's genuinely very inspiring to read.

TheZohan wrote: »
    Well are you still off them?

Nope. Didn't work out I am afraid. Sorry for late reply but I posted a link I wasn't allowed and got myself banned from AH over it. My own fault tho lol

How's it going Lavattack??????

Ahh not great lol. Haven't plucked up the courage to try again....yet anyway :)

Got banned over a silly mistake then aswell from AH and I didn't bother coming online while banned cos I everything good is in AH lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Nope. Didn't work out I am afraid. Sorry for late reply but I posted a link I wasn't allowed and got myself banned from AH over it. My own fault tho lol

Ah sure it's not the end of the world. What was your downfall? Bet you got some buzz off your first smoke after being off them! :pac:

TheZohan wrote: »
    Ah sure it's not the end of the world. What was your downfall? Bet you got some buzz off your first smoke after being off them! :pac:

Found a pack I had left in my drawer unknown to me lol.

Yep have to sat its funny getting kinda stoned off just a fag lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

those bloody ciggy gremlins got you.they hide away at the back of your mind and spring when you least expect.be ready.willpower rocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭maude6868

Fair play to you - stick at it.

I remember when I quit...

... it was Saturday - no, Friday. I awoke sharply, alert but ultimately groggy. My brain throbbed and pulsed slowly, almost loitering against the sides of my cranium - unsure, slow. My stomach heaved a little as my eyelids broke the crust around my lashes; I surveyed the room slowly, fearful of sudden movements. It was a room alright, my room, trashed. It wasn't the usual mess borne of a feckless, drunken disregard. It was worse than that. There were, of course, the clothes and some piece of broken furniture. But there was graffiti? 'YOU FUCKING LOSER' across my wall... 'BUM...' 'AFRICAN GUILT.' Some of it made sense. My life at that point wasn't a glittering success. The loser comment was true, and was probably expressed as it was in some sort of drunken hope that it would spur me on to get my shittogether when sober.
    It didn't.
    I just thought that I was a worse prick when drunk then sober.
    I felt sick. Physically, mentally - spiritually ill. Something had to change, yes, but not because of the graffiti - the message wasn't the catalyst; it was the desperation behind it. It was stupidity of it as an act; my brain had fried so badly that I thought such a thing would help.
    I slid to the side, out of bed, placed my foot squarely into a Lidl bag full of vomit. 'Fuck.' I wiped it off my foot with a semen-encrusted towel that lay at the foot of my bed. My jeans were beside it and I picked them up, searching for smokes. I couldn't find any. It was a bad start to the day. My room was a mess; it stunk and I felt awful. All I wanted was a cigarette, get my fix, get my head together and clean the shit up. I saw a box of John Player Blue on the locker. Not mine but they'd do. I picked them up and knew from the weight... empty.
    There weren't any. I looked to the ashtray and fished out some butts, and chain smoked them until I got my fix. Stale. Dirty.
    My alarm clock read 15:26. It was 29 degrees outside; I could hear children playing and laughter. There were enough pills in the bathroom, sure. There were knives in the kitchen - sharp, fit for purpose. There was also a window. So I opened it, and as a solitary tear crept down the left hand side of my face, I paused, stooped on the ledge, looking down to the ground below. I could smell freshly-cut grass, could see children kicking a football and away in the distance I could the glittering of cars on the M50. I stepped back inside the room and grabbed the ashtray and hurled it out the window. I never smoked again.

Lolz.
    I'd give you an A2 in English for this piece, and I'm an English teacher, bet you were good at English at school

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Right I've been saying to myself that I don't want to give up the ciggies for a while now - I'm not the heaviest of smokers but I play sport and last night it properly caught up with me, I was in a heap

So I haven't had one since Lunchtime yesterday and just got through a serious craving there after dinner so it's going alright...

Any tips barring chewing gum, plenty water...the usual stuff??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

PaulieC wrote: »
    Right I've been saying to myself that I don't want to give up the ciggies for a while now - I'm not the heaviest of smokers but I play sport and last night it properly caught up with me, I was in a heap

So I haven't had one since Lunchtime yesterday and just got through a serious craving there after dinner so it's going alright...

Any tips barring chewing gum, plenty water...the usual stuff??

Well done, I found icelollys and lollypops to be great, esp the fruit pastille icelollys, they occupy your hands and give your mouth something to do.

5 weeks this weekend and it's getting easier all the time. I walked by someone smoking the other day and instead of getting a craving and thinking it was lovely - it stank, so I've obviously turned that corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Well done, I found icelollys and lollypops to be great, esp the fruit pastille icelollys, they occupy your hands and give your mouth something to do.

5 weeks this weekend and it's getting easier all the time. I walked by someone smoking the other day and instead of getting a craving and thinking it was lovely - it stank, so I've obviously turned that corner.
    Well done! :) I'm close to 5 days myself now so the cravings are gone down a bit but they're still strong when they do come on - had a massive feed from a chipper last night and was hanging for a ciggie for what felt like an hour!!

I'll buy a rakeload of lollipops so this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

PaulieC wrote: »

I'll buy a rakeload of lollipops so this weekend.

Do, and I found the why quit site very good, it makes so much sense, especially these two articles

http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_01_02_I_Like.html

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html

I always have a read of that when the will power is being tested!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 GalwayGirl1975

tigger25 wrote: »
    Would anyone recommend a hypnotherapist in Dublin/Galway? Desperately need to give up the fags and am willing to splash out on this occasion. it'd probably cost the same amount as a month's supply of fags anyway. i take my hat off to all the cold turkeys.. it's genuinely very inspiring to read.

a friend of mine got hypnotised 6 months ago by a lady in Galway and he swears by it - and this guy was a HEAVY smoker by all accounts - best thing about it is he can still hang around smokers & not a bother on him - that's what is impressive about the hypnotherapy I think - not always avoiding situations for fear of relapse

I'm gonna go for it myself - spending a fortune on fags and am sick of them at this stage - literally just got an email 10 minutes ago from one of the deals websites who are doin a hypnotherapy offer for €99 instead of €299 - and it's with the same woman in galway - website is called Happyout.ie

Advertisement