Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up the smokes today!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Lavattack wrote: »
    He redeemed himself in my book :)

True........:)

Although I have to say that I disagree with regards to myself. The first few days are the easiest for me to quit and then it gets tougher!!! As I said it's kinda like a challenge in the beginning and then after a while the challenge is kinda gone and what then?? Then I smoke again. That's why this time I'm taking up the Couch to 5Km running lark at the same time. So at least I'll have something which will keep me getting out and challenged even when the buzz of being off the smokes is gone...

Well, that's the plan anyhow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Lavattack

True........:)

Although I have to say that I disagree with regards to myself. The first few days are the easiest for me to quit and then it gets tougher!!! As I said it's kinda like a challenge in the beginning and then after a while the challenge is kinda gone and what then?? Then I smoke again. That's why this time I'm taking up the Couch to 5Km running lark at the same time. So at least I'll have something which will keep me getting out and challenged even when the buzz of being off the smokes is gone...

Well, that's the plan anyhow!!

Whats the Couch to 5km lark about?

EDIT: Just read up on it there. Sounds like a good thing to keep busy. It was suggested to me but its all layed out there so be easy to follow I reckon.

Good luck with it also yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

Are you going to exercise more?

Are you going to exercise more?

Ya well I am better off doing something anyway to keep myself occupied. I am just home now and after a quick shower am going to go for a walk. There is a nice walk down by the water where I live. It's about 3miles round trip maybe a little over it. Start with walking anyway to get used to it because I am an unfit guy I would imagine.

Its not too bad being honest going without em. I really expected worse but maybe it will get harder. I hope not but I assume it must. I wasn't a light smoker by any means like, I used smoke between 20-40 a day depending on what I was doing. Is it normal to have a sore mouth?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

:D

Jive, your posts crack me up everytime!!!

I don't sugar coat things :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

jive wrote: »
    I don't sugar coat things :P

That's true.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭b.o.m.d.a.s.

it's your 3rd day, good going lava:)

it's your 3rd day, good going lava:)

Cheers mate.

Not in the best of it tonight. Fierce cravings :( Was gonna go for a pint but figure it would definately be too easy to just grab a smoke off some-one. Think I will just watch a film and try and sleep someway early

• Registered Users Posts: 21,206 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Keep it up man, in a few days the cravings should stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

go take a poo and read something on the jacks. you get in the absolute zone when your taking a poo so all cravings will disappear

jive wrote: »
    go take a poo and read something on the jacks. you get in the absolute zone when your taking a poo so all cravings will disappear

As always fantastic advice bud :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

TBH if you really wanna give them up its not all that hard.

Way too simplistic a statement. You say this as if it's easy - which it is not. Addiction wrecks peoples lives. Do you think smokers enjoy having less money and increased risk of developing horrible diseases - slow death diseases?

I really wanted to give them up for a few years before I managed it. I absolutely loved my smokes. I ached for them when I stopped. Ached so much that I failed on multiple occasions.

Addiction is a complicated issue.

Way too simplistic a statement. You say this as if it's easy - which it is not. Addiction wrecks peoples lives. Do you think smokers enjoy having less money and increased risk of developing horrible diseases - slow death diseases?

I really wanted to give them up for a few years before I managed it. I absolutely loved my smokes. I ached for them when I stopped. Ached so much that I failed on multiple occasions.

Addiction is a complicated issue.

+1

Very true but people who are not educated on the subject just make wild assumptions but more and more people are becoming aware of addiction and how hard it is to deal with, as much as for the family as the addict.

Congrats on getting off em mate btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

+1

Very true but people who are not educated on the subject just make wild assumptions but more and more people are becoming aware of addiction and how hard it is to deal with, as much as for the family as the addict.

Congrats on getting off em mate btw

have you tried the nicotine patches ?

I know a family who gave up with hypnosis.

hondasam wrote: »
    have you tried the nicotine patches ?

I know a family who gave up with hypnosis.

No haven't tried ever before and am doing it cold turkey for now. If it doesn't work out cold turkey I will try some different ways but I hope it doesn't come to that:)

Ya a cousin of mine did the hypnotherapy and stayed off them after it. Recommended it to every-one at the time. I would probably try that or else the Alan Carr guys book. Gets excellent reviews worldwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

No haven't tried ever before and am doing it cold turkey for now. If it doesn't work out cold turkey I will try some different ways but I hope it doesn't come to that:)

Ya a cousin of mine did the hypnotherapy and stayed off them after it. Recommended it to every-one at the time. I would probably try that or else the Alan Carr guys book. Gets excellent reviews worldwide.

It's not easy give them up, you have to really want too. stick with it.

hondasam wrote: »
    It's not easy give them up, you have to really want too. stick with it.

Will be trying.

Thanks

Well if ya have been watching you should guess that im not normally awake at this hour but yet here I am. Going a bit nuts now alright. Couldn't sleep at all. Spent the whole night turning and tossing. sweating like a mofo aswel. Gonna go shower and go for an early walk I'd say and try and sleep when I get back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Well if ya have been watching you should guess that im not normally awake at this hour but yet here I am. Going a bit nuts now alright. Couldn't sleep at all. Spent the whole night turning and tossing. sweating like a mofo aswel. Gonna go shower and go for an early walk I'd say and try and sleep when I get back.

How's it going for you now? The nicotine is nearly all out of your system at this stage, now you have to focus on breaking the habit. Think I read somewhere that if you do something for 21 days it becomes habit, so 21 days off the smokes should kick it.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

I gave up fags properly last week, with an ecig and tbh im feeling great, not craving a fag at all. I smoked 20+ a day for over 14 years, hated everything about smoking but still couldn't stop. Read Alan Carr's book 4 times and patches/inhaler did nothing for me.

I know I wouldn't be able to go cold turkey, im a wuss :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work OP, think about all the money you'll save. You'll smell better and be able to do physical things without having to take a rest!! The alternative is grim

Elevelyn wrote: »
    I gave up fags properly last week, with an ecig and tbh im feeling great, not craving a fag at all. I smoked 20+ a day for over 14 years, hated everything about smoking but still couldn't stop. Read Alan Carr's book 4 times and patches/inhaler did nothing for me.

I know I wouldn't be able to go cold turkey, im a wuss :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work OP, think about all the money you'll save. You'll smell better and be able to do physical things without having to take a rest!! The alternative is grim

Heya whats an ecig? Never heard of it?

Heya whats an ecig? Never heard of it?

Its an electronic cigarette/Vaporizer - gives you nicotine and feels like smoking without all the health risks. You drag on it like a normal fag and exhale smoke (not harmfull, water vapour) so really helps. Can't say enough good things about them, been to the pub and just use it like i would a normal fag, except it tastes better (can get millions of flavours):D

Theres a great thread about it on giving up smoking

Elevelyn wrote: »
    Its an electronic cigarette/Vaporizer - gives you nicotine and feels like smoking without all the health risks. You drag on it like a normal fag and exhale smoke (not harmfull, water vapour) so really helps. Can't say enough good things about them, been to the pub and just use it like i would a normal fag, except it tastes better (can get millions of flavours):D

Theres a great thread about it on giving up smoking

Do you have to get in on the net? Is there any shops in Ireland that sell em?

Do you have to get in on the net? Is there any shops in Ireland that sell em?

The best ones are on the net, (can get crap ones in a few chemists) few irish sites that have next day delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Good luck OP. You've got a lot more willpower then I do! ;) My little sis went to an Alan Carr workshop a couple of weeks ago (if cold turkey doesn't work) and she's been off them ever since. It was expensive, but she's probably saved the money she would have spent on cigarettes already.

diddlybit wrote: »
    Good luck OP. You've got a lot more willpower then I do! ;) My little sis went to an Alan Carr workshop a couple of weeks ago (if cold turkey doesn't work) and she's been off them ever since. It was expensive, but she's probably saved the money she would have spent on cigarettes already.

Ya I am fairly struggling today but being honest I didn't think I would last this long on 1st attempt.

Ya I have heard great reviews about it and they have a money back guarantee in some of them aswell which is very good like. I would save the money for it in less that 3 weeks smokefree so would definately be worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

She said it was great. And they give you plenty of smoke breaks during the day. ;) Still not easy, but she she said that the idea of buying a packet when she misses them wouldn't even cross her mind. All her taste buds are coming back as well, which she's finding quite strange. Her palette's a lot more sensitive now, so everything tastes like it's laden with salt. :eek:

diddlybit wrote: »
    She said it was great. And they give you plenty of smoke breaks during the day. ;) Still not easy, but she she said that the idea of buying a packet when she misses them wouldn't even cross her mind. All her taste buds are coming back as well, which she's finding quite strange. Her palette's a lot more sensitive now, so everything tastes like it's laden with salt. :eek:

Its something I am starting to worry about....If I dislike chinese now I will go mad !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The taste buds/smell returning is incredible. It's almost overwhelming. There's a sweet factory a couple of miles from where I live and I can smell it when the wind blows in the right direction (they make tic tacs). I would never have been able to as a smoker.

I don't put salt on a lot of things I eat.

Giving up the cigs is all win.

Advertisement