Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up the smokes today!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Lavattack

Still no ciggie :)

Have a craving for some Chinese food tho which I reckon I will deserve if I get by until say 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

good stuff op, i've been smoking for 17 years and woke up a non-smoker once. it's been almost 4 years ago and couldn't be happier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Lavattack wrote: »
    Still no ciggie :)

Have a craving for some Chinese food tho which I reckon I will deserve if I get by until say 8.

Good stuff, this thread is waaaay better than 24...everything's in real-time. I hope we can keep this going 'til later so we find out how much of a buzz you get from your smoke.

In the meantime I'm off for a coffee and a cigarette, I'll post on here and let you know how I get on.

Wish me luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I think everyone in this thread should light up as a mark of solidarity for the OP. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

good luck -
    I'm off the smokes 3 days - and still craving - im so bad humoured and irritable (more than ever) I'm trying to avoid people - I'm beginning to think if life is so difficult off them , would i be better off going back on the wicked weed - but i'll keep plodding - also, having terrible difficulties concentrating

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Just wanted to say good luck op.hope it's not too harsh on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

'giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. i know because i've done it thousands of times' mark twain

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

There's a 'giving up smoking' forum here on boards that should help you, OP. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

op you should switch to rollies instead, they're half the price and last longer. Also the added arts and crafts element to rolling a cigarette, what a great hobby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

M O N T O wrote: »
    There's an audiobook entitled Alan Carr's (not the fairy comedian) easyway to stop smoking. You can download it with uTorrent pretty quickly. I've downloaded it but haven't used it yet, as i'm not entirely sure i want to give up yet, but from the people that have used it they have said if you really want to give up smoking this book will make you never want to smoke again.

Alan Carr, the fairy, also has a book out on smoking. It's called 'The Most Effective Way To Smoke A Cock'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I found it really hard to give up but cracked it in the end (bout 9yrs smoke free now).

Your quality of life will improve enormously if you kick it.

Best of luck to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Im trying to give up drink at the moment, and a friend of mine is trying to quit rollerblading after it became some sort of weird addiction to him.

Maybe the 3 of us should join forces and tell AH about any wacky experiences we encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

People who can't give up smoking sicken me (serious). If you don't have the will power to quit smoking then you are a sad person. It's not like a simple habit that might just occur such as biting your nails or something along those lines. You actually have to go to the shop, buy fags and light them. If you can't stop yourself from doing that all the while knowing that they are extremely detrimental to your health then you're actually a loser.

I hope this inspires you to not be a loser. Queue all the angry smokers who are mad at me. If you have a perfectly healthy body and you smoke then you deserve everything you get illness wise.

x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Lavattack wrote: »
    So I have been a non smoker now for a whopping maybe 4 hours or that way. Tis going grand so far. I have never actually tried to give them up before but they are just gone too expensive! Gonna try and stay clear of the pub for a couple weeks as it would be too tempting. Not gonna use patches/books/gum/hypnotherapy or any other method this time, will have a go cold turkey.

I will let ye know either-way how it goes and if anyone else is fed up of the price and wants to give em up feel free to post away here how you are getting on.

It may have been said already, but why don't you try rollies. They work out at half the price of cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Fair play OP,

I'll be giving it another go Sunday
    :o I've been off them the last 2 months according to some

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Good luck OP, stick at it :)

The below paragraph is something similar to what clinched me stopping a while ago. You think you smoke to get a relief, but really you smoke to feel what non-smokers feel like all the time. From Wikipedia.
    Carr teaches that, contrary to their perception, smokers do not receive a boost from smoking a cigarette: smoking only relieves the withdrawal symptoms from the previous cigarette, which in turn creates more withdrawal symptoms once it is finished. In this way the drug addiction perpetuates itself. He asserted that the "relief" smokers feel on lighting a cigarette, the feeling of being "back to normal", is the feeling experienced by non-smokers all the time. So that smokers, when they light a cigarette are really trying to achieve a state that non-smokers enjoy their whole lives. He further asserted that withdrawal symptoms are actually created by doubt and fear in the mind of the ex-smoker, and therefore that stopping smoking is not as traumatic as is commonly assumed, if that doubt and fear can be removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭frannymurph

OP, do not bamboozle yourself with "which way" or "what if"you will just fall into the Nicomonster's trap of which you want to escape.
    It is true Allen Carr's Easy way to stop smoking, is without doubt the best way to understand the smoking trap and how to beat it.
    He smoked 100 per day for 25+years, he researched smoking and the trap put into a book and sold over 21 million copies !!!.
    He just nail's it perfectly get the book,audio or video if you really want to stop smoking, then this WILL convince you It took me to a place where I just could not believe how stupid and ridiculous smoking really is and how easy it is to stop.
    I hope this help's and good luck, just remember it's all association...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

I gave up a year ago, just a shame I didn't stay off them!

What I did find in my brief time off them was to keep busy, especially doing something physical, that way you wear yourself out and are ready to sleep soundly at night and it keeps your mind active and not thinking about the smokes.

Best of luck with it, enjoy that chinese!

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I think everyone in this thread should light up as a mark of solidarity for the OP. :D

Thanks for the back up :)
    thebaz wrote: »
    good luck -
    I'm off the smokes 3 days - and still craving - im so bad humoured and irritable (more than ever) I'm trying to avoid people - I'm beginning to think if life is so difficult off them , would i be better off going back on the wicked weed - but i'll keep plodding - also, having terrible difficulties concentrating

Hope it works out for both us and thanks
    Just wanted to say good luck op.hope it's not too harsh on you.

Cheers ;)
    Standman wrote: »
    op you should switch to rollies instead, they're half the price and last longer. Also the added arts and crafts element to rolling a cigarette, what a great hobby!

That I have tried but I always get sick of em and go back to smokes. I will go out some night and say "ahh shur I have to buy a box, can't be rolling up in the smoking room of the nightclub" and the next day its another and so on. But I agree, while just smoking rollies I did save money.
    I found it really hard to give up but cracked it in the end (bout 9yrs smoke free now).

Your quality of life will improve enormously if you kick it.

Best of luck to you

Thanks mate
    nuxxx wrote: »
    Im trying to give up drink at the moment, and a friend of mine is trying to quit rollerblading after it became some sort of weird addiction to him.

Maybe the 3 of us should join forces and tell AH about any wacky experiences we encounter.

Im up for it but tbh I intend on keeping very quiet the next week or two as I know I will be in bad form :(
    Good luck to you and your mate also btw
    jive wrote: »
    People who can't give up smoking sicken me (serious). If you don't have the will power to quit smoking then you are a sad person. It's not like a simple habit that might just occur such as biting your nails or something along those lines. You actually have to go to the shop, buy fags and light them. If you can't stop yourself from doing that all the while knowing that they are extremely detrimental to your health then you're actually a loser.

I hope this inspires you to not be a loser. Queue all the angry smokers who are mad at me. If you have a perfectly healthy body and you smoke then you deserve everything you get illness wise.

Well we will see how it goes but like I know a few people who have tried and failed, it isn't exactly easy like you think. Some people seemingly find it easy granted but the majority find it difficult and if you can't understand why I am not going to argue with ya
    Rothmans wrote: »
    It may have been said already, but why don't you try rollies. They work out at half the price of cigarettes.

Tryed and always lead back to normal smokes :(
    blaze1 wrote: »
    Fair play OP,

I'll be giving it another go Sunday
    :o I've been off them the last 2 months according to some

Thanks man
    Gordon wrote: »
    Good luck OP, stick at it :)

The below paragraph is something similar to what clinched me stopping a while ago. You think you smoke to get a relief, but really you smoke to feel what non-smokers feel like all the time. From Wikipedia.

Cheers and sound for that

• Advertisement

So its about half 9 now and it hasn't been as bad as I expected to be fair. I expect I will find it tough to sleep later but as of right now not doing so bad.

Getting a lot of good advice and thanks to almost every-one for posting.

I have seen great reviews about the Alan Carr book and seminars but will still chance it cold turkey first. If it doesn't work then I will get the book as every-one has positive feedback about it.

Thanks again guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

Giving up is for Quitters, I'm off for a smoke.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Fair play to you - stick at it.

I remember when I quit...

... it was Saturday - no, Friday. I awoke sharply, alert but ultimately groggy. My brain throbbed and pulsed slowly, almost loitering against the sides of my cranium - unsure, slow. My stomach heaved a little as my eyelids broke the crust around my lashes; I surveyed the room slowly, fearful of sudden movements. It was a room alright, my room, trashed. It wasn't the usual mess borne of a feckless, drunken disregard. It was worse than that. There were, of course, the clothes and some piece of broken furniture. But there was graffiti? 'YOU FUCKING LOSER' across my wall... 'BUM...' 'AFRICAN GUILT.' Some of it made sense. My life at that point wasn't a glittering success. The loser comment was true, and was probably expressed as it was in some sort of drunken hope that it would spur me on to get my shittogether when sober.
    It didn't.
    I just thought that I was a worse prick when drunk then sober.
    I felt sick. Physically, mentally - spiritually ill. Something had to change, yes, but not because of the graffiti - the message wasn't the catalyst; it was the desperation behind it. It was stupidity of it as an act; my brain had fried so badly that I thought such a thing would help.
    I slid to the side, out of bed, placed my foot squarely into a Lidl bag full of vomit. 'Fuck.' I wiped it off my foot with a semen-encrusted towel that lay at the foot of my bed. My jeans were beside it and I picked them up, searching for smokes. I couldn't find any. It was a bad start to the day. My room was a mess; it stunk and I felt awful. All I wanted was a cigarette, get my fix, get my head together and clean the shit up. I saw a box of John Player Blue on the locker. Not mine but they'd do. I picked them up and knew from the weight... empty.
    There weren't any. I looked to the ashtray and fished out some butts, and chain smoked them until I got my fix. Stale. Dirty.
    My alarm clock read 15:26. It was 29 degrees outside; I could hear children playing and laughter. There were enough pills in the bathroom, sure. There were knives in the kitchen - sharp, fit for purpose. There was also a window. So I opened it, and as a solitary tear crept down the left hand side of my face, I paused, stooped on the ledge, looking down to the ground below. I could smell freshly-cut grass, could see children kicking a football and away in the distance I could the glittering of cars on the M50. I stepped back inside the room and grabbed the ashtray and hurled it out the window. I never smoked again.

Lolz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

OP, you are the reason Ireland is in this economic crisis. We need all the smokers we can get. With the massive taxes on cigs, don't give up, don't give in, keep buying your 20 a day or whatever you were smoking.*

*May result in a mass increase in lung cancer in later years and cost the state more money in the long run however, so there is two sides to this coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭shellib

I went off them yesterday!!! Im tryin the intellicig... Im still ancy as hell but Ive spent 35yoyos on this yoke so Il give it a good shot!!! Best of luck OP :)

Fair play to you - stick at it.

I remember when I quit...

... it was Saturday - no, Friday. I awoke sharply, alert but ultimately groggy. My brain throbbed and pulsed slowly, almost loitering against the sides of my cranium - unsure, slow. My stomach heaved a little as my eyelids broke the crust around my lashes; I surveyed the room slowly, fearful of sudden movements. It was a room alright, my room, trashed. It wasn't the usual mess borne of a feckless, drunken disregard. It was worse than that. There were, of course, the clothes and some piece of broken furniture. But there was graffiti? 'YOU FUCKING LOSER' across my wall... 'BUM...' 'AFRICAN GUILT.' Some of it made sense. My life at that point wasn't a glittering success. The loser comment was true, and was probably expressed as it was in some sort of drunken hope that it would spur me on to get my shittogether when sober.
    It didn't.
    I just thought that I was a worse prick when drunk then sober.
    I felt sick. Physically, mentally - spiritually ill. Something had to change, yes, but not because of the graffiti - the message wasn't the catalyst; it was the desperation behind it. It was stupidity of it as an act; my brain had fried so badly that I thought such a thing would help.
    I slid to the side, out of bed, placed my foot squarely into a Lidl bag full of vomit. 'Fuck.' I wiped it off my foot with a semen-encrusted towel that lay at the foot of my bed. My jeans were beside it and I picked them up, searching for smokes. I couldn't find any. It was a bad start to the day. My room was a mess; it stunk and I felt awful. All I wanted was a cigarette, get my fix, get my head together and clean the shit up. I saw a box of John Player Blue on the locker. Not mine but they'd do. I picked them up and knew from the weight... empty.
    There weren't any. I looked to the ashtray and fished out some butts, and chain smoked them until I got my fix. Stale. Dirty.
    My alarm clock read 15:26. It was 29 degrees outside; I could hear children playing and laughter. There were enough pills in the bathroom, sure. There were knives in the kitchen - sharp, fit for purpose. There was also a window. So I opened it, and as a solitary tear crept down the left hand side of my face, I paused, stooped on the ledge, looking down to the ground below. I could smell freshly-cut grass, could see children kicking a football and away in the distance I could the glittering of cars on the M50. I stepped back inside the room and grabbed the ashtray and hurled it out the window. I never smoked again.

Lolz.

Thats something like they made us read the last time I was in rehab :)
    Well switching the smokes part for something else of course.

That kept me busy for about 5 minutes reading so thanks

double GG wrote: »
    OP, you are the reason Ireland is in this economic crisis. We need all the smokers we can get. With the massive taxes on cigs, don't give up, don't give in, keep buying your 20 a day or whatever you were smoking.*

*May result in a mass increase in lung cancer in later years and cost the state more money in the long run however, so there is two sides to this coin.

LOL

And unfortunately I almost always have duty free or else buy the ones from the polish for half the price so I will make no difference in the stats I'm afraid. I would only buy maybe 100-200 a year in the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Wow

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Wow

Problem?

• Advertisement

Problem?

Your the one who went off on a rant there jive....

Advertisement