Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up the smokes today!

Options
  • 28-04-2011 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

So I have been a non smoker now for a whopping maybe 4 hours or that way. Tis going grand so far. I have never actually tried to give them up before but they are just gone too expensive! Gonna try and stay clear of the pub for a couple weeks as it would be too tempting. Not gonna use patches/books/gum/hypnotherapy or any other method this time, will have a go cold turkey.

I will let ye know either-way how it goes and if anyone else is fed up of the price and wants to give em up feel free to post away here how you are getting on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

What vice are you going to take up instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

TBH if you really wanna give them up its not all that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Going cold turkey off the fags is nasty.

When you see that baby cawling towards you upside down on the roof, twist it's head and fall on you, it's horrible.

Need to give them up myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

"For 8 years now I've been addicted to cold turkey. When I tell people I'm quitting cold turkey, they say,"What are you quitting?", I'm f*cking quitting cold turkey." - Zach Galifianakis.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Lavattack

Thats what im kinda thinking/hoping!
    Duggy747 wrote: »
    Going cold turkey off the fags is nasty.

When you see that baby cawling towards you upside down on the roof, twist it's head and fall on you, it's horrible.

Need to give them up myself.

Thanks for the heads up :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I'll smoke enough for us both OP :D

Anytime you feel like having one just use a Nicorette Inhaler, they're just as good... NAWT.

Best of luck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Codeine is now your friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Lavattack wrote: »
    Thats what im kinda thinking/hoping!
    I gave them up a few times and lasted anywhere from 20 minutes to a day. But one day i decided i really wanted to give them up and i did it. Had patches for the first week but as im a scabby bastard i stopped them. 99% of it is in your head.

I gave them up a few times and lasted anywhere from 20 minutes to a day. But one day i decided i really wanted to give them up and i did it. Had patches for the first week but as im a scabby bastard i stopped them. 99% of it is in your head.

Ya I am the same, I am quitting for financial reasons and I am just too stubborn to spend the money I will be saving(hopefully) on "not-smoking". I would just rather smoke than pay to give em up like lol

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/online-tools-top-10-years-resolutions/

Check out the links for Goal 1. I don't smoke so wouldn't have a clue if they work, but it's best to do this with like-minded people.

F*ck Goal 2! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Don't do it OP. How will you flirt? What will you do while waiting for a bus?

By smoking you contribute taxes to the economy and you cost less at the end of your life. It's your civic duty to smoke.

You should smoke more than you used to, in fact.

Don't do it OP. How will you flirt?

I'm sorry...............what? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

What are you going to smoke after ridin' your bird

chin_grin wrote: »
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/online-tools-top-10-years-resolutions/

Check out the links for Goal 1. I don't smoke so wouldn't have a clue if they work, but it's best to do this with like-minded people.

F*ck Goal 2! :pac:

Cheers bud. I am reading all the free things on the net about it atm. Keeping me occupied for now

orourkeda wrote: »

That's what cigars are for! Wha wha?

Don't do it OP. How will you flirt? What will you do while waiting for a bus?

By smoking you contribute taxes to the economy and you cost less at the end of your life. It's your civic duty to smoke.

You should smoke more than you used to, in fact.

Ya why didn't I think of that, I would call you something normally at this point but don't wana get a 7day ban lol
    orourkeda wrote: »

Firstly I am single so not as much "ridin'" as I'd like but hows about just have a sleep?

What vice are you going to take up instead?

That has yet to be decided. Maybe paying off my loans a bit quicker, that would be good if I had the extra cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Lavattack wrote: »
    Cheers bud. I am reading all the free things on the net about it atm. Keeping me occupied for now

Know what else would keep you occupied? A nice smoke...can't beat a smoke after a meal...sex....coffee...anything really...

But you're right to give them up, I gave them up loads of times...you get a better buzz off the smokes after giving them up for a day...

TheZohan wrote: »
    Know what else would keep you occupied? A nice smoke...can't beat a smoke after a meal...sex....coffee...anything really...

But you're right to give them up, I gave them up loads of times...you get a better buzz off the smokes after giving them up for a day...

Thanks. Now I'm getting weird(er) looks from my colleagues for laughing like an eejit. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Oh, and don't forget, cigarettes are great as a slimming aid. Instead of working hard to be fit, you can smoke to look fit.

I really think that you should reconsider, OP. Being an ex smoker is crap. Being a smoker is like being Humphrey Bogart without being dead.

My posts here are not serious. This is AH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

This is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Most commonly used sentence heard from a smoker

"I'm giving up the smokes today"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

are you alright there dougal bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

Well just so happens to be my first time actually saying that, if it wasn't my first attempt I would have said something like "I'm giving up the smokes again today"

are you alright there dougal bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

???

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭M O N T O

There's an audiobook entitled Alan Carr's (not the fairy comedian) easyway to stop smoking. You can download it with uTorrent pretty quickly. I've downloaded it but haven't used it yet, as i'm not entirely sure i want to give up yet, but from the people that have used it they have said if you really want to give up smoking this book will make you never want to smoke again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I thought it would've been, "Do you have a light?".

Ah but what do I know I only smoke at weekends now with my weekly alcohol intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

I thought it would've been, "Do you have a light?".

Ah but what do I know I only smoke at weekends now with my weekly alcohol intake.

I thought it would of been, "I can't wait to inhale this smoke so I can shorten my life by a few years and oh if I'm lucky I could get cancer in the meantime."

... too much? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I thought it would of been, "I can't wait to inhale this smoke so I can shorten my life by a few years and oh if I'm lucky I could get cancer in the meantime."

Not really, you didn't cover how I want to shorten the lives of my parents, my seventeen kids and my puppy with chronic passive smoking of Swastika branded cigarettes.

• Advertisement

not too much at all I think. Just facts like tbh

Advertisement