Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ian Dempsey Show... time for a reboot?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I don't know why anyone buys a gift grub album. There's nothing new on it.

Thought that myself. Aren't they all podcasted daily?

Don't get why someone would pay for it. The previous one had a DVD too, so fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Plazaman wrote: »
    I think Dempsey is the most condescending fúcker I've ever heard. His "banter" with the AA roadwatch girls is cringeworthy at times and he regularly make little remarks about them just as they know they're gone off air so can't answer back. The same with callers, he says something under his breath that he thinks is funny about a caller, their job, where they live and more often than not, the caller doesn't get the dig on the phone line and when the ask "What?" he says something else.

The irony of one of the Radio Roy sketches where he trashed every caller was probably and insider dig at him. The Monday Jokes thing (which can be quite funny at times) is a wee bit jaded but would listen to it everyday of the week if Dempseys chair was empty. Move him to the 2am - 6am slot I say.
    Have you heard tubridys banter with the other staff??/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I may be going out on a bit of a limb here, but I don't find Mario that funny.

NIMAN wrote: »

I find some of his stuff funny, but yeah the majority of it I wouldn't be getting to excited about!

The extended news/sports bulletins (sometimes up to twenty minutes) are too much.

Ian has a terrible habit of making these really annoying noises at the end of songs like "BA BA BA BA DA DA DA DA" along with the beat (for ages). He does it a LOT. Can't see why anyone would think that would not be annoying. Can see why some may need to talk over / cut it short as a result of bad timing, but that making silly noises craic is annoying.

*I feel dirty now after saying those things. Ian comes across as a terribly nice fellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Mario at his best over the last 10 years is nothing short of comedy genius. The albums don't work as well, and i've never felt the urge to see the live show, but man...some top class stuff over the years. Paul McLoone was great too when he was contributing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

That Karen underwood (think that's her name interview) this morning was horrendous. Really really cringeworthy stuff- "Karen u can put some suga, in my bowl anytime" followed by that laugh which is getting more and more annoying.
    The constant gift grub plugging has lost me, ill prefer to listen to my heap of ****e car struggling along in the morning from now on:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I don't mind Iano for the most part tbh. He has an easy manner, is a bit of a laugh, and I enjoy most of the banter with whoever is reading the news and Louise Duffy. GG is usually good.

On the other side of things, there is way too much time given to Paul Collins, too much time promoting the shows sponsors and too many competitions. Iano can also come across as condescending to callers.

All in all, I find the show pretty harmless, but from Monday onwards I'll be listening to Ray Foley from 7-8 online at home, back to Iano from 8-9 while I'm in the car and then back to Foley from 9-10 online again when I get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Jason Todd wrote: »
    I don't mind Iano for the most part tbh. He has an easy manner, is a bit of a laugh, and I enjoy most of the banter with whoever is reading the news and Louise Duffy. GG is usually good.

On the other side of things, there is way too much time given to Paul Collins, too much time promoting the shows sponsors and too many competitions. Iano can also come across as condescending to callers.

All in all, I find the show pretty harmless, but from Monday onwards I'll be listening to Ray Foley from 7-8 online at home, back to Iano from 8-9 while I'm in the car and then back to Foley from 9-10 online again when I get to work.

Paul is the #1 reason I stopped listening to this radio show. His OTT way of exaggerating his accent really annoys me. The sport bulletin is........well its not a bulletin as they are short. The sports "news" goes on and on for at least 20 minutes (although feels like a life time).

Paul is the #1 reason I stopped listening to this radio show. His OTT way of exaggerating his accent really annoys me. The sport bulletin is........well its not a bulletin as they are short. The sports "news" goes on and on for at least 20 minutes (although feels like a life time).

+1 to this. He really is dreadful, that posh 'English' accent he puts on is terrible and for a sports journalist, he really seems to know almost feck all about sport. John Dugan filled in when he was on hols recently and the guy seemed to genuinely know his stuff, some difference.
    If anyone on here has had the misfortune of having to sit through P. Collins (another thing he does) during half time at a match at semple stadium or croke park roaring unintellibly down the microphone introducing some team of the past or other entertainment and you will know the meaning of cringe.
    I should say I'm also from north cork, on the tipp border and most of my friends are from Tipperary and none of them speak the way he does.
    I think he thinks he's Eddie moroney (check YouTube). He's not and he's not funny, end of!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I listen to Iano a bit and Paul Collins is grand in short bursts but ya when he does the sports news it gets annoying after a while. But as bad as Paul Collins can be, how the hell is des Cahill still employed ? He is a disaster zone of a man and if he could he not eat his breakfast in the studio that would be nice.

• Advertisement

Don't know if ye heard, but Marios TV show starts tonight ;)

He mentioned it in EVERY link that I heard this morning. I was switching over and back earlier in the morning, but it was just constant plugging the whole way through the show.

Boring boring radio. He also did the annoying "Bam bam boom boom <insert weird noises here>" at the end of loads of tracks. Seriously annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭LeakyGee

When you have a big element to your station you promote it hard. Gift is huge part of peoples lives for a long time now, but there are still so many people that have never heard it or are familiar with - thats why they push it across other shows with promos and Mario guest slots.

It's still as good as radio comedy gets. Imagine the stress of having to deliver good content day in day out, not easy id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Ian still can't work the computer in the studio after how many years?

Just seems like he has a computer feckup at least once a week.
    Today, he forgot to log off the system and Ray Darcy couldn't play the song he was supposed to play and he had to rummage around for a CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Today, he forgot to log off the system and Ray Darcy couldn't play the song he was supposed to play and he had to rummage around for a CD.

D'Arcy fecks up usually at least once a day.

So I wonder what they will talk about on tomorrows show ? :rolleyes:

Louise Duffy was on marios show tonight which was weird and nice at the same time.

I wonder did Ian do it on purpose ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So I wonder what they will talk about on tomorrows show ? :rolleyes:

Louise Duffy was on marios show tonight which was weird and nice at the same time.

Yea didn't know she was that fine but now my early morinings are that little bit better knowing what she looks like ;-)

Horse84 wrote: »
    Yea didn't know she was that fine but now my early morinings are that little bit better knowing what she looks like ;-)

Do you listen on a radio or a phone/ Internet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

NIMAN wrote: »

I wont turn on the radio before 9 o' clock because of Mario.

He is just not funny and to make it worse they play bits of him on other shows throughout the day, I have to mute the radio when they play his clips.

How he makes a living from it is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

gnfnrhead wrote: »

D'Arcy fecks up usually at least once a day.

True :)

• Advertisement

One full hour this morning talking about their TV show ...

Do management not listen to this bullshít or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

_feedback_ wrote: »
    One full hour this morning talking about their TV show ...

Do management not listen to this bullshít or what?

Is there an equivalent version of "Product Placements" warnings for radio?

More talk of Mario's show and gift grub AGAIN........:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Dub Ste wrote: »
    Is there an equivalent version of "Product Placements" warnings for radio?

More talk of Mario's show and gift grub AGAIN........:(:(

Like a few months back when the Ray D'Arcy show basically turned into a 3 hour Moon Boy promo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Niles wrote: »
    Like a few months back when the Ray D'Arcy show basically turned into a 3 hour Moon Boy promo...

It's not the same. Darcy gets obsessed with certain topics and repeats them far too much (like Fifty Shades of Grey)

Ian Dempsey is a Writer on the Mario Rosenstock Show, and is believed to get a cut of the profits from the Gift Grub Live shows and CDs etc.

He really shouldn't be plugging those shows to the extent he is (from the start of the show to the finish). If it isn't against BAI rules then it should be.

Say what you like about Gift Grub but that "most annoying man in Ireland" one they are playing now always gives me a great laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Jesus Christ this show has gone awful ****e, was listening to it on the way to college at 20 past 7 to 8 on Tuesday and he played 2 songs in those 40 minutes. Spent about 15 minutes talking ****e to Paul Collins and Juliette Gash (think she was on), which is the exact same thing he does from 8-9.

Won't bother starting a new thread so will continue on this one.
    Just out of curiosity I said I'd switch back over to Dempsey after about a year's break (there's only so much of the red rooster I can take).
    It's like this breakfast show is stuck in time. Bar the odd funny bit, gift grub is truly dated. The stupid Ben dunne joke segment is still there. Paul Collins is by far and away one of the most annoying people on radio. For a sports presenter he seems to know absolutely sweet f all about it outside tipp hurling.
    As far Ian himself, I'm sorry the guy is just not funny. I dunno if he ever was but my god it's just jaded. Comes across sound enough and all that but the show is well past it's sell by date now.
    Is there anything else out there to compete with it or that anyone would recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Ray Foley show on 98fm if you're in Dublin or surrounding areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

gift grub is gone to the dogs and i think it went there ages ago. bertie may have been a bollix but gift bertie was what made it. the trapatoni sketches are afwul. there seems to be more talk and extended news and sports bulletins. that collins fella needs to have a smelly sock stuffed in his gob. i first heard the show back in 1999 and it still seems the same when i flick onto it in the car

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

In fairness, the show is aimed at the 40+ age group..... change and you may lose a chunk of your listenership.

For "Dad" radio, I think its ok

Advertisement