Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ian Dempsey Show... time for a reboot?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Does anybody know how many people are selected for the happy bank segment every morning? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

i just googled this and the tread came up. Recently started to drive to work again after 3 years and the radio show is the same oul ****e. between 8 and 9 we have the following,

Traffice
    News
    Sport

Takes up to about 8.15

Crap compeition
    Gift grub

Then at 8.30

Traffice
    News
    Sport

thats till bout 8.45 then a couple of songs and thats it, im pretty sure 7-8 is the exactly the same show as 8-9. I dont know how he gets away with it. And the constant plugging of what ever the sponser is, like the last few weeks is the gift grub live show.Had to stop listening, listen to newstalk in the morning instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Gift Grub needs to move on. He's done his bit, he's stale.

Iano needs a new station. A complete an utter lack of originality in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've not listened in a while but does Ian still talk over the sports report at 8:30am

Used to really annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Suddenly I feel un-cool for liking Gift Grub and Ian Dempsey. Tried Hector for a while, he's OK but gets under the skin the odd time with his fake laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

I have to admit I think Gift Grub is great - Mario is very talented and still makes me laugh.
    Ian however is a bit bland. He's just nicey nice and there's nothing exciting about him.
    Having said that I can't even bear to hear Hector say the word "hello" and I can't be arsed with talky programmes in the morning, so what's the alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

i'm still enjoying the ian dempsey show. i still love mario and have bought tix for gift grub two next may in drogheda. true it's the same format but it covers what i want to hear in the morning and i enjoy trivia quizzes. I must be in the majority cos his ratings are still great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Growed Up now, it's Morning Ireland all the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

Ian is really starting to Pi$$ me off plugging Gift Grub everyone second of the show.I heard on George Hook that he and Mario have put their own money into the show..

I also lost a lot of respect when he plugged the $hit out of Prince for weeks and the admitted he never even went to the dam show himself !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

canonball5 wrote: »
    Ian is really starting to Pi$$ me off plugging Gift Grub everyone second of the show.I heard on George Hook that he and Mario have put their own money into the show..

I also lost a lot of respect when he plugged the $hit out of Prince for weeks and the admitted he never even went to the dam show himself !!

That's a bit of a vested interest if he's plugging something he's got a financial interest in through his show. On the other hand, I'm sure it could be 'accounted for' in that it's most likely MCD buying the plugs.

MCD must definitely be a silent show sponsor. As was said, he plugs the hell out of upcoming gigs and announces upcoming gigs long before the tickets go on sale. So, then, say there's a Prince gig coming up, there'll have to be a Prince song every morning. I'd be happier if it was the 'Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show sponsored by MCD and a list of other comapnies'.

The problem is that it's one big sponsorship cash cow and they've lost sight of turning out quality radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

squonk wrote: »
    That's a bit of a vested interest if he's plugging something he's got a financial interest in through his show. On the other hand, I'm sure it could be 'accounted for' in that it's most likely MCD buying the plugs.

MCD must definitely be a silent show sponsor. As was said, he plugs the hell out of upcoming gigs and announces upcoming gigs long before the tickets go on sale. So, then, say there's a Prince gig coming up, there'll have to be a Prince song every morning. I'd be happier if it was the 'Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show sponsored by MCD and a list of other comapnies'.

The problem is that it's one big sponsorship cash cow and they've lost sight of turning out quality radio.

He also did a countdown to Westlife tickets going on sale this morning, which was a bit obvious.

I like Ian, he seems like a nice guy. Not much of an alternative in the mornings if you don't want talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

yeah heard that this morning, very obvious, now that it was mentioned above, he actually does that a lot

I tuned in to hear the gift grub this morning, it was one of the unfunniest things ive ever heard. A Joe Duffy skit with people phoning up about computers and using terms like floppy, zip, hard drive etc, awful ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Ive been a fan of ian since he was on 2fm and i moved to todayfm in the morning when he moved. I enjoyed gift grub for the first few years. it was new, funny and original. that was then.
    Now it is seriously boring. the whole show. Gift grub is not funny anymore. the sports goes on way too long for me and im a big sports fan.

Its constant promoting products. Worse than d apprentice!
    Ian is a nice friendly chap but its needs a revamp. i went to a gift grub show in the inec in killarney last year. everything was rehashed stuff from the radio. nothing new. Its like someone telling you a joke, then a week later charging you 30 euro to hear the same joke. not funny.

Hector isnt an option, ivan yates on newstalk is cringworthy so i suppose its morning ireland or radio kerry for me from now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Gophur wrote: »
    Gift Grub needs to move on. He's done his bit, he's stale.

Iano needs a new station. A complete an utter lack of originality in the show.

The thing with Gift Grub now,reminds me of the recent storyline in Corrie,with Chesney and Schmiecel(spelling)????

Ches knows the oul dog is dying,but didn't want to put him out of his misery,eventually it got too much for the pooch,and he went to the big kennel in the sky......................................Sound familiar Iano???????

It's time for Gift to take a trip to the audio vet;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mulphisto

Used to listen to this all the time and turn off when Paul (I'm hilarious) Collins came on.
    But how the hell are they getting away with the constant plugging of GiftGrub Live!?

I flick around the stations a lot and I have yet to flick onto Ian Dempsey and not hear him plug it. They even had a GG sketch that plugged GG live!
    Is there not some advertising rule they are breaking here?
    So long Ian Dempsey, I know you legally own 20% of Mario's soul so I hope you are making a fortune, I can't blame you but I can't believe you are getting away with it.
    Like a previous poster said, it's now just Sport, crap competitions (which are really just adverts), actual adverts and then Ian advertising Gift Grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Its getting worse... Ian Dempsey is turning into Alan Partridge!!! - he seems clumsy on the air... talking over people and adverts... getting cues all wrong most of the time... always uncomfortable talking to people on air... which in turn makes the listener uncomfortable.

This morning, before handing off to the news at 9am, he stated that Lidl had sent him in one of their own brand perfumes, and that "he is now all set for christmas presents"... Plug Lidl why dont you.

Its like that scene in "Im Alan Partridge" where Alan keeps on plugging terrys chocolate oranges available from Rawlinsons on his radio show! :D

I tuned out long ago and went to newstalk but had to endure it this morning on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

It doesn't help that at the end of every song we get a "BEAWWWWWW" or a "DAAAAAAAA" or some other replacement for the final few seconds that makes me wonder if he has lost his faculties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Oh man, they HAVE to get rid of the crappy Ben Dunne Monday joke slot!!

I enjoy Gift Grub, but other than that, Paul Collins gets to rabbit on too long, Ian is basically turning into Smashie & Nicey with all the David Bowie and endless plugging.

At the same time, there is no other breakfast show that appeals to me, other than Phantom's pure morning. The rest are either too zany & "down wiv da kidz" for me or too political (guess I'm not mature enough yet to appreciate Moaning Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Yeah Paul Collins always sounds depressed and uninterested which isnt a good thing for a breakfast show. I do like dempsey but he could resist talking over songs and playing Louise duffys bed far too loud.

Oh man, they HAVE to get rid of the crappy Ben Dunne Monday joke slot!!

They don't still do that do they? Please tell me he doesn't still do 'Are you listening, bored housewives?' :o ? Christ that's so old if he does that I can barely remember the actual Ben Dunne gym ads at this stage.

That Joke Monday thing was always remarkably unfunny anyway. A crap joke doesn't suddenly turn hillarious just because Daniel, Roy or Michael D reads it out. FFS!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I dont mind the jokes that much, most of them suck but it only takes two minutes and occasionally provides a laugh. Paul Collins though is the most boring fecker in the world. Doesnt help when he starts giving the results of last nights under 6 five a side hurling match from the midde of nowhere. Some mornings he does still be going at nearly ten to nine!

Listening this morning to KC filling in, Collins was acting like an absolute prick. Probably not much of an act, in fairness. On the bright side he was gone by 8.40 so I wouldn't mind KC sticking around a bit longer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭denishurley

What was PC saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Why does Paul Collins start all his sports reports with an english accent?

What was PC saying?

The sports report was finished and so began the dreaded "banter" section (which can last up to 10 excruciatingly banal minutes sometimes). KC said something along the lines of "We got a text in saying that John Delaney and David O'Doherty have never been seen in the same room at the same time."
    "Right. Point being?"
    "I think they're suggesting that they look very much alike."
    "Ok."

I know the text wasn't particularly funny, but not as cringe-inducing as the stuff Ian generally comes out with, most of which Collins engages with. Just came across really badly.

I thought KC was good this morning. I rarely get to listen to the show nowadays but I tuned in for 15 minutes this morning. The Gift Grub wasn't very funny at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

KC asked Collins a question about Gary Speed, Monday morning. Collins hadn't a clue.

Collins is a 100% clown. He's not very knowledgeable about sport and I, for one, do not care what club some hurler from Tipp plays for. Saying "Banisteoir" in a GAA report does not make Collins a Gaelgoir, nor doe it make him cool.

Not that his Sports reporting colleagues are much better, TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

Gophur wrote: »
    KC asked Collins a question about Gary Speed, Monday morning. Collins hadn't a clue.

Collins is a 100% clown. He's not very knowledgeable about sport and I, for one, do not care what club some hurler from Tipp plays for. Saying "Banisteoir" in a GAA report does not make Collins a Gaelgoir, nor doe it make him cool.

Not that his Sports reporting colleagues are much better, TBH.

Thats true alright, he asked him did Gary Speed win the league with Leeds in the 90's. Collins avoided the question big time...

KC is doing a fine job, much better than Phil "the craic is 90" Cawley !! Might give Ian a bit of a kick up the arse :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

KC is really under appreciated in my book. Deserves a better time slot than the one he currently has. Reckon he’ll take over from Dempsey or D’Arcy in the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 jaydeep

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    KC is really under appreciated in my book. Deserves a better time slot than the one he currently has. Reckon he’ll take over from Dempsey or D’Arcy in the next few years.

He's just easy to listen to, no bull**** or ego, day time in due time i'd say.

Paul 'the clown' Collins was a 'news reader' on Tippfm, how they put a moron like him on a national show doing something he has no clue about is just insane.

What KC asked him was " Was Speed part of the 92 Leeds team that beat united to the title " Collins answered with " Well he was with lots of teams in fact " really Paul ?? In Fact ??? :mad:

You get paid for this job, in fact ?:eek:

I don't like name calling, but Collins is an idiot, an absolute fool.

Advertisement