Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ian Dempsey Show... time for a reboot?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    KC is really under appreciated in my book. Deserves a better time slot than the one he currently has. Reckon he’ll take over from Dempsey or D’Arcy in the next few years.

or Foley..

Dont know how much input KC has on choice of music but its always way better on Foley's show when he is filling in.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ste88m

Really enjoyed the show with KC on it the past few days. Much better than when Cawley fills in and if truth be told, I think much better than Iano himself.

I think KC is just more fun to be honest, and the long, drawn out sports bulletins on the half hour don't happen when KC is there either, which is a huge plus!

Anyone else think KC will get brekkie when Iano eventually goes? He definitely doesn't deserve the graveyard shift of the station anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

i'm a great fan of KC. he got tony's slot in the afternoon while he was going through cancer treatment and it was the longest time he had on a show during primetime and he really was great to listen to.
    also listened to him during foley's show and loved him then too.
    big fan of KC
    still love Iano though but i get what everyone is saying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I think it was mentioned here before, but there is one thing that Iano is doing at the moment that really winds me up!

He has started (more and more) singing along to the ends of songs, and doing some stupid noises. He is doing it four or five times an hour at this stage, and it's really annoying!

This morning he was playing that Gotye song, and the female vocal was going nicely until Iano pops in shouting "BAM BUUUM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM DO DO DO" and cut off the tune.

Let the music do its job Ian, and you do your own!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

This new thing about not getting Paul Martin's name right, so people will text in is pi$$ing me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭onway

I always listen to Ian in the morning but have noticed lately that the news and sport takes so much time .....it can be 10mins out of every half hour so there is very little other content.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

onway wrote: »
    I always listen to Ian in the morning but have noticed lately that the news and sport takes so much time .....it can be 10mins out of every half hour so there is very little other content.

The half eight one in particular has always been like that. Sometimes it would still be going at a quarter to nine, meaning an ad break, filler, half a song and another ad break before he heads home to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

This is always on in the car in the morning, but it's starting to really annoy me lately. I wish he'd stop reading out texts from stupid people asking questions they could easily find the answer to elsewhere, 'Oh hi Ian, I missed [TV show] on RTE last night, where can I watch it'.
    And it's pretty ridiculous for a sports presenter to think the captain of Barcelone is called Charles Puyil

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Robotnic

He has started (more and more) singing along to the ends of songs, and doing some stupid noises. He is doing it four or five times an hour at this stage, and it's really annoying!

Ha, now that you mention it he does a bit doesn't he.

Ina somewhat related question does anyone know what song he played just after gift Daniel today? It sounded bit like The Shins, i kno it wasn tho? I wanna find the artist
    Cheers

Robotnic wrote: »
    Ha, now that you mention it he does a bit doesn't he.

Ina somewhat related question does anyone know what song he played just after gift Daniel today? It sounded bit like The Shins, i kno it wasn tho? I wanna find the artist
    Cheers

Was it the Gotye song that is doing the rounds at the moment? Know he played that shortly after, but not sure if it was directly after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Robotnic

Was it the Gotye song that is doing the rounds at the moment? Know he played that shortly after, but not sure if it was directly after.

Thats the one thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

This week's shows have been atrocious. HTF is listening to a group on a skiing trip supposed to make good radio?

Mario is running out of ideas too, his offerings this week, also, have been dire. His "George Hook", this morning was awful.

Collins was his usual boorish, uninteresting, unintelligent, self.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lotto999

have to agree, it has been the same structure show since he came on air,show needs new ideas, started listenin to newstalk with chris and ivan more..more political talk but at least they are not talking to the sports guy for half the morning... reason ian's ratings are so high is that the competition is so poor, hector, and jim jim need i say more..!!!!!

Gophur wrote: »
    Mario is running out of ideas too, his offerings this week, also, have been dire. His "George Hook", this morning was awful.

He had to explain how the sketch came about before it was played. I think having to explain a comedy piece is a bad starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,290 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

As a person who shares a name with a certain sports reader from Tipperary, this thread makes me sad, it looks like people are making digs at me all through it :(

That being said, show has probably gone on far too long at this stage, reshuffle is in order...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Leave Ian alone!:pac:. He's just an aul fuddy duddy, lost in a time warp. I don't think he does the condescention thing that an earlier poster mentioned. It's Ray Foley that needs culling.

Gophur wrote: »
    I reckon he has been scraping the barrel for a while now. No need for him to be on every day. Once a week with classic sketches the other days would serve much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

I reckon he has been scraping the barrel for a while now. No need for him to be on every day. Once a week with classic sketches the other days would serve much better.

What about the month of November, every year, which is like a running advertisement for his latest release of G-Grub? If he had to pay for all the advertising he would make nothing from the sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Ive noticed that Ian Dempseys answer to most questions or quips by anyone is
    yyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaahhhhhhhhhh
    whoooooooooaaaaaaaaaa
    David Bowie
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    yyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaahhhhhhhhhh
    He isnt actaully great with speaking to people on the radio...and im not sure how nice Ian is. Alot of the time he comes across as very ignorant and rude to people working on the show

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Wilde86

du Maurier wrote: »
    Leave Ian alone!:pac:. He's just an aul fuddy duddy, lost in a time warp. I don't think he does the condescention thing that an earlier poster mentioned. It's Ray Foley that needs culling.

Exactly. Leave him alone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭Poochie05

LowOdour wrote: »
    He isnt actaully great with speaking to people on the radio...and im not sure how nice Ian is. Alot of the time he comes across as very ignorant and rude to people working on the show

I have to disagree with you there, I think he is very good an interviewing, he always seems to bring out some interesting things from people, especially when he has musicians on. He comes across as someone with a genuine interest in music and someone who is easy to get on with. He's also very good at getting kids to talk a bit on the occasions that the competitions are for kids, even if I'm not too fond of those competitions. All in all I like Ian, but as has been said, they need to cut some of the sports news as that goes on well towards a quarter to the hour both times it's on, which in my view is too much. Also maybe the 'showbiz' news, I think even he is getting a little tired of it!

I reckon the sports is just because Paul Collins wont shut the hell up and Ian is too nice to tell him that nobody cares about last nights under-8's five-a-side hurling match from the middle of nowhere.

The 7.30 to 8 part of the show was a complete bore this morning.

I couldn't believe how long the sport was going on, so kept an eye on the clock. It finished at 7.47!

He played a bell x 1 tune.

Then the "showbiz news".

Just enough time left for another tune. David bloody Bowie......

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

The Gift Grub slot yesterday was fecking woeful,so bad it's not true,and today's was no better.
    Do the right thing and put it out to grass,or....cut back on it,maybe once a week,get it back to being funny??????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭squonk

Glad I'm not commuting these days by the sounds of it. The annual ski trip was always a major pain to listen to. No problem with people going on holidays, good luck to them but I don't want to be hearing about the great craic and the sing song in the bar the night before and how Dave from the Deise proposed to Mary from Kilkenny so we'll have them on for a minute to hear all about it - cue a torrent of hurling related nonsense from PC as well... bleugh! I always felt the whole concept was very offputting. Meanwhile, back in the studio, it sounds like the show is still going downhill. I can remember during my commutes there wasn't much else on but it was like a repeat each morning and, worst of all, I don't give a fiddlers about sport or showbiz so what's left?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

I reckon the sports is just because Paul Collins wont shut the hell up and Ian is too nice to tell him that nobody cares about last nights under-8's five-a-side hurling match from the middle of nowhere.

I tell you what I find annoying,is when he announces at the end of the sports bulletin "Racing today is from Thurles with the first on the card off at 3:30".
    Then once the racing starts,they don't give you any results :rolleyes:
    It's like telling someone there's a fight outside,going out to watch it and then come back in and not say who won :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Aw I'm glad other people really don't get Paul Collins, thought it was just me he irritated with his crappy posh accent he tries to put on at times to try and be funny. Surely there are people on Today FM who think the same?? The best mornings are when John Duggan is in doing the sport, at least he knows what he's talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Aw I'm glad other people really don't get Paul Collins, thought it was just me he irritated with his crappy posh accent he tries to put on at times to try and be funny. Surely there are people on Today FM who think the same?? The best mornings are when John Duggan is in doing the sport, at least he knows what he's talking about!

Any of the substitute sports reporters are better to listen to - they are usually much more efficient in delivering the sports news so at least you are not left listening to it for nearly 20 minutes of every half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Or Micheal McMullen ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

hiscan wrote: »
    Or Micheal McMullen ;)

Moyyychulll McMullen more like! :D

Advertisement