Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ian Dempsey Show... time for a reboot?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Clown Collins was at it again, this morning. When asked, by Ian Dempsey, how Rangers got into such difficulty, he hadn't a clue. If you're broadcasting an item, like he was, in the Sports News, it surely wasn't much to expect a bit of research behind the headline?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭crank_1975

Agree with the earlier poster who mentioned the amount of product placement, its beyond a joke at this stage. It wont be too long before each song (which is only about six per show anyway with all the constant waffle) is sponsered by someone.

"And that was the Black Keys there brought to you by Jims Deli in Macroom"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Paul Collins brought along an email from a listener this morning. They read it out, and it basically said that it is ridiculous how much we all admire Rory McIlroy, considering that he is a foreigner, and that the meeja give him way too much coverage etc. It was quite obvious that the email was going to stir up quite a bit of reaction.

I was astonished when Paul Collins, the sports broadcaster, on supposedly the most listtened to breakfast show in the country only commented by saying, "well, there you go now..." He had no opinion whatsoever to offer on it.

Was surprised at Ian too, who would usually jump at the chance to rave on about golf, but he followed the same as Collins and said more or less nothing on it.

I'm glad I'm not much of a sports fan, as it would really wind me up if I was!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

He hadn't a clue about the rugby this morning, whether France would be having 4 consecutive weekends playing, like Ireland will. His reaction to the question was........"Ehhhhh.......well I'm not too sure about that now".

As much as Yeats is an annoying git at times, I'm turning to Newstalk more often these mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Much as I'd love to support Irish radio - I'm increasingly listening to UK and other stations on lne etc - I find Irish radio is becoming dead boring.

Mr. Dempsey is relying on Mr Rosenstock to carry the show - he did the same with the "Jimmy" and "Terence" characters (Simon Young & John Creedon) when he worked in Montrose.

Another thing is the reliance on giveaways to fill up airtime. For example Nova are giving away a drive in a Ferrari 348 and the amount of airtime being devoted to this is appalling mentioned at least once every ten minutes At the end of the day the same thing to buy was on Groupon or whatever last week for €150

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I did a very unusual thing while listening to the show this morning in the car...

I got sick of the crap on the show between ian and PC... (have been sick of it for months now... same boring recycling of the same boring show)

So i turned off the radio and continued the rest of my drive in silence.

It was nice... try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

I hear you Access! I've found myself doing that a good amount of times lately too. It's just nice. If the radio on offer really connected with you it'd be unmissable but most morning shows are full of filler and rubbish that silence is a better alternative.

Barbie Girl *facepalm* Jesus......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

hiscan wrote: »
    I tell you what I find annoying,is when he announces at the end of the sports bulletin "Racing today is from Thurles with the first on the card off at 3:30".
    Then once the racing starts,they don't give you any results :rolleyes:
    It's like telling someone there's a fight outside,going out to watch it and then come back in and not say who won :mad:

Good point!! - especially considering that their news comes from sister station Newstalk, and I know for a fact that the racing results certainly DO appear in newstalk's feed. Racing probably just doesn't factor as important in the eyes of the afternoon sports readers

Aaaahhhh Jesus Ian will ya stop talkin and "singing" over the end of songs.......if you can't get your timing right that your cutting stuff short then time to give up now at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

F**king showbiz woman this morning spoiled the end of Season 4 of Mad Men. Thanks a f**king bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

Haha, don't watch MM myself but I rember thinking if I was catching up or planning to watch it I'd be pretty pissed. Why she couldn't just say the new season is starting is beyond me. And Ian asking "Would I be able to start watching?" Ah yeah Iano, just dip in and out of an intricately woven plot 5 seasons in :rolleyes:

Was anyone listening this morning? Apparently there was a row with the newsreader or something? I was only half listening when he said it so maybe I took it up wrong or perhaps it was one of his "jokes".

I know Ian reads boards, as he has mentioned it a few times.

Ian, seriously give up the crap "singing" during songs. He did it on a few occasions this morning, and it is incredibly irritating.

He is not even singing the tune of the song, he just makes these noises like "bam bam bam bam" along with the beat of the song, often long before it has finished.

Please stop :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I know Ian reads boards, as he has mentioned it a few times.

Ian, seriously give up the crap "singing" during songs. He did it on a few occasions this morning, and it is incredibly irritating.

He is not even singing the tune of the song, he just makes these noises like "bam bam bam bam" along with the beat of the song, often long before it has finished.

Please stop :)

I never listen to the show but briefly paused on it this morning.
    The song was good (forgot what it was though) but before the end the host started to sing over it fading it out prematurely!

within 1 second I had it back on Morning Ireland, I'd rather listen to their adds than what TodayFM had to offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gin Fizz

Dempsey has always been a good morning radio presenter. I couldn't see him doing anything else but I think the show is past it's sell by date now

Anyone hear the "forums gift grub" just now? He more or less said it was based on boards :)

None of the usual 15 year old in the basement rubbish, but a good laugh at the various type of characters, like the trolls, mods and comedians.

Well done Mario - he must be a reader!

They even added in a radio forum one. Where someone posts "Did anyone hear the forums gift grub?" and the next three posters say "Hi Mario". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Hi Mario! Lol, yeah, he had boards pretty spot-on tbf!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

haha - just came here to see did anyone hear it - very funny!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

This mornings one isn't loading.

I started to listen back to a few old ones as I haven't listened to gift grub in well over a year. A lot of average stuff but the ones with Davy Fitzgerald had me broke up. Hilarious stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Gunner5

Anyone else find Ian dempsey just a bit insulting this morning to the person on the competition about her effort towards her town winning tidy towns(sitting down watching tv)? Said pretty much the same to the girl from Heathers when she said she was taking a year out?

may not have been intentional, but if he said it to me I would be a bit miffed :mad:

On a side note, I do think the show needs a bit of a change, seems to be the same format for years. Only saying this as a point that there seems to be no national station that gives a kick start to the day with a decent mix of music and chat :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Anyone got a link...
    Anyone hear the "forums gift grub" just now? He more or less said it was based on boards :)

None of the usual 15 year old in the basement rubbish, but a good laugh at the various type of characters, like the trolls, mods and comedians.

Well done Mario - he must be a reader!

They even added in a radio forum one. Where someone posts "Did anyone hear the forums gift grub?" and the next three posters say "Hi Mario". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I thought the Gift Grub this morning was very funny, the Joe O'Connor bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

bbability wrote: »
    Anyone got a link...

http://media.todayfm.com/podcasts/popup

Scroll down to 'The Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show', select, then scroll to '30 August 2012'

Not bad at all, Mario certainly did his research. Hi Mario!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭crank_1975

I hate to ressurect an old thread but after this morning I felt like I had to have a rant. I've been a long time listener to Iano and enjoyed the show in the mornings with its mix of music and humour. It has been on a downhill slide for a while with many mistakes, dead air and Ian having to restart tracks because he was still talking after the end of the intro. The main problem I have (and the reason I will be switching to Foley on 98fm when he starts) is that the show is now just a two hour long commercial for Gift Grub. As far as I know Ian has a piece of the Gift Grub empire so you can't blame him for plugging the sh*te out of it but its almost constant now what with the live shows and now a new album to promote. Surely this is in breach of advertising regulations? Should Ian not have to come clean about his (financial) involvement in Gift Grub?

Anyway, rant over and a listener lost.....

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Ya i absolutely agree, its worse its getting with all d promotion. Its grand to mention it once but he says it at nearly every ad break now. And forever replaying old sketches.
    Its like if someone told you a funny joke and u laugh out loud. the next day and every other day they tell u again and again. Soon enough u r gonna get real sick of the joke.
    I went to one of the gift grub shows and i was really disappointed with it. there was nothing original at all about it. nothing locally based like, no new sketches.
    I reckon Ian shud hav a gift grub slot for 10/15 minutes in the morning and then no more reference to it. No blatent promotion of cd's or shows.
    Play music, discuss a few topics of the day, stop trying to be so smart and sarcastic with the newsreaders/ traffic girls.
    I love sport but they spend way too much time on the sports news. Sum days its8 .50 when its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

crank_1975 wrote: »
    Should Ian not have to come clean about his (financial) involvement in Gift Grub?

I agree, it can get tiresome - and the tv show hasn't even started yet!
    He's very honest about his involvement in it though.

Couldnt care less about the Gift Grub plugging.........just stop the incessant "singing" over the end of songs :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

I don't know why anyone buys a gift grub album. There's nothing new on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

I don't know why anyone buys a gift grub album. There's nothing new on it.[/QUOTE]

Or funny these days......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭GotBainne?

crank_1975 wrote: »
    I hate to ressurect an old thread but after this morning I felt like I had to have a rant. I've been a long time listener to Iano and enjoyed the show in the mornings with its mix of music and humour. It has been on a downhill slide for a while with many mistakes, dead air and Ian having to restart tracks because he was still talking after the end of the intro. The main problem I have (and the reason I will be switching to Foley on 98fm when he starts) is that the show is now just a two hour long commercial for Gift Grub. As far as I know Ian has a piece of the Gift Grub empire so you can't blame him for plugging the sh*te out of it but its almost constant now what with the live shows and now a new album to promote. Surely this is in breach of advertising regulations? Should Ian not have to come clean about his (financial) involvement in Gift Grub?

Anyway, rant over and a listener lost.....

Totally agree! Have stopped listening to the show because of this.

Advertisement