Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little bit of everything, just faster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Well done at the weekend. You finished ahead of some damn good runners! What 10k programme are ya going to be following?

A couple of lads went wrong on the course which bumped my position a bit. Happy with the race tho, finished strongly.

Was thinking about the 10km plan you're doing. Seems to be decent? How are you finding it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Was thinking about the 10km plan you're doing. Seems to be decent? How are you finding it?

Yeah I'm liking it so far. 6 days a week of running can be tough to get used to though, so it would be hard on someone like you who's cycling and swimming aswell. But in the book there a 5 and 4 sessions-per-week 10k programs so you'd be able to fit in other things with them.

I'm 6 weeks into it and feeling strong but I've no idea where it will leave me at the end of the program. Thats another thing - I searched all around on the net for someone else who had used it and got good results from it, couldnt really find anybody (thats not to say it didnt work for people, but people werent writing on the net about it :p).

It seems to be very similar to Daniels Blue plan IIRC, but the training paces/suggested times in the one I'm using are more specific than Daniels, which I really like and thats why I chose that one. I have weeks 6-18 scanned on my computer if ya want me to send them on to you so you can get a feel for what its like?

Six weeks in already? Eek! Better get my skates on ;)

Yeah if you can send me a scan to have a look that'd be great?

Another IMRA race, Sorrell Hill
    Was feeling a bit tired ahead of this race but with just 5 races left, I need to run at least 4 to qualify for the league. No running since last race on Sunday so knees were feeling a bit creaky.
    Really enjoying this summer’s league as there’s a group of 4/5 of us who are racing against each other every week, making for good battles.
    1.5km fireroad to start which drew out the field. It dragged a bit before the turn off through a forest and onto the open mountain. Sure enough, I was surrounded by familiar faces as we headed along a nice soft boggy section. Positions were being swapped regularly, I’d feel good, push past someone, then feel a bit knackered and drop back again. Got to the foot of the Sorrell hill still all pretty together when I started to fall back. I opted for my hike/strides up the hill, whereas others continued to run it, with the gap remaining the same. Was only near the summit that the runners opened the gap.
    At the turnaround I was about 30 seconds back behind two runers however following the descent, I was right back on their heels again which was very satisfying. Didn’t last long as one opened the gap again on the way back. Feeling very rough at this stage so was happy to sit behind one of my nemesis. We were going good but may have been caught napping as we were suddenly caught by another runner. Crap!
    With a narrow downhill forest section just ahead, I spurted forward to get to the turnstile first for a clear run at it. Decent downhill through the forest and onto the fireroad for a 1.5km torturous sprint home, desperately not wanting to get caught. Happy to see that I opened a 40 second gap on this last section. Lovely race, with great views of the Blessington lakes.

Another week and another 'What plan will I follow.'

I'm now thinking of running DCM in October. lol.

I haven’t ran any long distances in age and would really like to have the ability to run long distances every so often. So the DCM could be the trick to get longer runs in the legs while also competing in Gaelforce and other races that are a bit longer.

Ideally, I'd only run it if a sub 3 is on.

So won’t be solely focused on the marathon. I could change my mind next week, given last week, I was planning to do 10km.

Busy with work/dog sitting last week so not much done.

Monday Mountain bike 20km ish

Nice spin around Ticknock, nearly face planted several times.

Been a while since I was up there and every muscle was aching after it. Great craic though, bombing down the trail and two deer bursting out in front of me. I did a few jumps and got a bit more air than I bargained for. Somehow, by closing my eyes and pulling the brakes, I managed to stay upright. A short time later, I nearly went straight into a tree. Fairly knackered after an hour or so.

Monday evening 12kms

No Garmin so ran by feel. Enjoyable run, very warm and was knackered by the end of it, could really feel it in the legs.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 25km bike
    Legs were stiff after Monday’s mtb and run so decided to loosen the legs. Headed up to Cruagh on the racing bike, avoiding the glass on the cycle path. Convinced some people deliberately do this, the adjacent foothpaths were clear. Got called a c*** by two lovely teenagers who were on said cycle path.
    Despite this, it was a lovely spin. Nice testing climb and out into the open with views of Kippure. Came home via Cunard and a tricky descent. Was out for about an hour.

Wednesday IMRA Seefingan

Total slogfest. Energy sapping bog.
    Started off well with the usual three amigos. All together at the first mountain but I was beginning to feel off the pace early on. By the time we got to the open bog section I was losing ground all the time. Just couldn’t get going. Legs disappearing into bog holes, leaps of faith every couple of years, stop start, stop start, arrrghhhh!
    Got a bit of momentum going up Seefingan and for a while I thought I might be able to catch the lads on the descent. It was a lovely bouncy downhill and for a while, it was pain free bliss. But the out and back route meant the reality was another slogfest back home. At some points, I was going sideways to find a clear path, other times I tried to follow those ahead. Legs were gone at this stage, and I was starving.
    The last climb and the head was gone. I was falling forward up the last stretch, my form was gone and I was cursing hill running. A very technical downhill followed with lots of loose rock and stone. I did well on this section as I pretty much fell down it. Eventually hit the fireroad and good god, there’s a massive incline left. In reality it was as steep as a humpback bridge. I was shuffling up this like a granny running for a bus, in that there was no discernible difference in speed between a walk and a run and it just looks weird.
    About 300 metres to go and I was just trotting in, thinking I had secured my place. But I heard a sudden shout of ‘come on, you have him!’. Over my shoulder, to my utter dismay, was another runner bearing down on me. I put in a short burst and momentarily, I couldn’t feel my legs. The finish line came quickly and I immediately lied down….in a fvcking stinger. Which summed up my race. I was well off the pace of the three amigos. Some races favour others, that’s the beauty of IMRA, you never know how you’re going to go against one another. Each race is a surprise and a real tester.

The guy who almost caught me said he was trying to sneak up on me until someone gave the game away. He definitely would’ve taken me if it wasn’t for that.
    So if you’re shouting for a mate in an IMRA race, think twice! If you want to warn a mate without actually appearing to warn him, shout “You have him!” really loudly. Or if you want to have a bit of craic at two runners who are fvcked, shout it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Gave it the guns anyway fairplay... maybe have a bigger lunch ;)

Did you find a team for the Beast? I'm heading out for my first proper Kayak (as in more than 5 minutes) tomorrow

Gave it the guns anyway fairplay... maybe have a bigger lunch ;)

Did you find a team for the Beast? I'm heading out for my first proper Kayak (as in more than 5 minutes) tomorrow

That's the thing, I had a massive lunch as I felt the same last year towards the end.

I may have a lead on the Beast so fingers crossed.

Good stuff on the kayak section, I reckon that may be the most difficult section from a newbie perspective

Sunday 21km run

Did the Dublin mountains plod, half marathon route. Beautiful day for a run, the sun seemed to appear for the start of my run and disappeared as soon I finished.

Had a camelbak for water and literally plodded around it. First 4km is on the road. Somehow I took a wrong turn to enter Cruagh forest, but I didn't look that hard given I knew it would be fairly muddy and didn't want to get my road shoes dirty ;). So followed the Cruagh road instead and joined the last trail section of it.

First 9km are all uphill and mostly on lovely tree-lined trails. Descended into Tibradden and started climbing again. Legs were feeling at is this stage, 12.5km in. But the views were great, the surface was lovely and I was just bumbling along having a great time with the trail stretching out ahead.

After 15kms, the descent to the finish starts. I was wrong thinking I was on the home straight. The downhill is a bit of a killer on the legs, dropping 400 metres in 6kms.

21km in around 1.50. Didn't have Garmin, nice to be free of it.

So technically that's the first week of the Marathon plan done.

Monday and Tuesday 9kms

Identical runs. Trying to get into habit of consistent running. Following P&D 55 plan but squeezing in IMRA Wednesday races as training as well as training on the bike. Only 3 weeks of mid week races left tho.

So tonight's PD 13 km aerobic will be tomorrow's race with 2km warm down.

Fairly relaxed running last 2 nights. Lovely run this evening in the rain.

• Advertisement

Wednesday IMRA race Trooperstown 10.5km

Race of two halves.

First half was why, why, why, second half was weeeeeeeeeeeee.

Crusaders hosted this race and pulled out all the stops. Was like a mini festival, dodgy music, banners, free cake and even a water station on top of the mtn for feck sake! Lovely evening too.

The start to the race is a killer, straight up a fireroad and climbing all the time. Everyone goes out fast till we come out to the mountain top. Legs were hurting early on but I was in the top 20 or so. It’s a long ish race, difficult to pace so was fairly cautious going up. Ground was a bit sloppy in places. At this stage, I was swapping places with the guy who almost pipped last week.

Went into a bit of a whingefest with myself for a couple of kms as I just wasn’t enjoying it. Everything felt like too hard an effort.

Was being hounded at various points by other runners. Around this stage, I got a bit of a second wind and started to run a bit stronger. Hung on to the heels off a group in front as we got to the last climb and managed to let loose on the fast and dodgy downhill.

Pulled back three places on this section before getting to the dreaded fire road. Somehow I got a pebble in each shoe, stuck under my heels. The pain! Finished strongly enough to earn a nice cool down in the river and a delicious flapjacket. It almost felt like summer.

Looking back, I could’ve pushed harder. This was said to me by another runner. Each time I was caught, I’d dig deep and move away only then to take the foot. He said there was plenty more there if I pushed it. I haven’t done intervals in ages, so perhaps the lack of them and going into the red has made me pain averse.

Woke up this morning with a blister on each heel. Ouch.

Sunday 23km*

First proper LSR of the marathon plan. Did it in the phoenix park on Sunday morning. Place was fairly littered with cans, puke, blood and shed loads of shoes.

Anyhooo, followed the race series half marathon route. Conditions were nice, soft hazy rain to keep cool and the park was relatively quiet. First 10km ticked by nicely, last 10km kind of dragged, not used to long kms, let alone doing it on roads. Knees were a bit creaky towards the end. Finished the 23kms without too much effort.

Last week's total was about 55km

*Just realised I did week 15's LSR rather than 16. Presumably, I can just do week 16 next Sunday, (21km with 13 at marathon race pace.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Howya, I'm undecided wether to do the Plod. How do the climbs compare to Powerscourt Ridge?

Howya, I'm undecided wether to do the Plod. How do the climbs compare to Powerscourt Ridge?

They're OK compared to the ridge. The whole course is runnable. First few kms are on the road, the climb through masseys isn't too steep. Same again across Cruagh.

Tough but short climb to Tibraddan and then about 7km downhill. Really is a nice race, challenging but no hands on the knee stuff gasping for air.

Here's the profile.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/99733127

A ten mile run yesterday.

Alas the garmin battery wasted after 4 mins.

Had to guess the distance. Ran for about 65 minutes, thinking it was 70mins. Map my run says the route was 8.5 miles. So a bit miffed that I missed the right distance. Still, nothing major.

IMRA 12km race tonight with 490 metres of climb. Should be painful. Never done it before.

Not sure how to fit the rest of the week in as I'm doing the half marathon plod race on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

nerraw1111 wrote: »

IMRA 12km race tonight with 490 metres of climb. Should be painful. Never done it before.

Not sure how to fit the rest of the week in as I'm doing the half marathon plod race on Sunday.

I'm in the same boat. Do a few slow recovery runs, maybe one tomorrow and a shorter one on Saturday and you'll be grand. Good luck tonight!

IMRA Ballinastoe

What a course this was. Best of the league so far.
    Was feeling a bit sprightly going into the race. Did a short warm up to check out the first 2km or so. Was greeted with a fairly long and steep climb so knocked the 2km on the head.

Came back to join usual group of 4 of us who’ve been swapping positions all summer long. Despite the race being 12km long, the start was fairly quick. Even on the first climb, there were people surging to get positions. I’m guilty of going out too fast sometimes so quickly settled in a nice rhythm going up, sitting in behind one of my nemesis. Leading lady comes past and there’s quickening of pace to keep up with her. I decide it’s way too early to be chasing and let them go.

Eventually pop out at the top and into a nice tricky descent and reel the group back in. Across some fairly marshy section and surprised to find I’m feeling good and catching strong climbers.
    Then the fun really started as we set off on a long winding fast descent through forests, dodging bushes, along tiny ridges, sharp muddy turns, over bumps, around boulders, under branches, over tiny wooden bridges, through waist-high grass and across felled forests. I was smiling like an idiot at this stage.

I’m better on the technical stuff and decided to make a bit of a break for it through one fast section, taking a runner on the inside ala Formula 1. Great stuff this. Pushed it a bit harder and a group of 4 came into view, along with the leading lady. I knew if I could bridge the gap, I’d be dragged along with them which is how it turned out. Through more open descending and I was making places. As the route turned back uphill, I hung on, until it was just myself and leading lady left. She ran the whole section whereas I hiked it. The previous week we had a similar battle. We were now back on the route we came up at the start so we both had an idea of what was left. Evenly matched going the second last rocky downhill, we came onto the grassy descent. I let go and managed to get past using a different line, grips holding well. Onto the fireroad and my legs were going like the clappers, ‘just don’t get caught on the fireroad, not after all that!’

Got home to finish in my highest ever imra league position. Delighted with that given the increased mileage of late.

Crazy second half week work wise so didn't get out besides a 6km on Saturday

IMRA half marathon plod

Great weather for today's race, race started and finished in a small window in the weather.

Felt a bit sluggish before the race, took me a while to wake up. Some regular IMRA heads there so plan was to pace off them, as I've finished in front or close behind them all summer.

Ridiculously fast start, 3.20kms at one point. I decided to let the regulars go, way too fast for me (i think.) It was almost a relief when the climbing started and I could take the foot off the gas.

Somehow, on entering Masseys forest, I went left off the paved entrance. Total brain freeze and ended up in some ditch with 2 others lads thinking where the feck are you going? we get a shout to say wrong way. Instead of retracing the 20 metres back, I opt to clamber over a fence. Shorts got stuck on some barbed wire and I go head first over it. Cringe!

Back on track and see dogslysmile coming by to witness my detour. Masseys was fairly muddy so grip was a bit of an issue. Dogsly was climbing well so I was happy to keep him in sight. Legs felt ok climbing and the pace was good.

Out of the forest and onto the trails of Cruagh. Group of 4 us at this stage, strung out over 50 metres or so. There's a fairly long drag on this section and my legs felt very heavy and sluggish here. Couldn't get them turning. On the fireroad descent into Tibradden, they felt a bit wobbly but made some time up here.

Plan was to hang on to group on the last climb towards Fairy Castle and save something in the tank for the long 7km downhill back to Marley Park. Dogsly was climbing very well at this stage and was opening a gap while I got passed, to put 4th out of 4.

Took a gel here, more out of desperation than necessity before the second half of the climb, and made up a place. I know the descent fairly well, if you attack it you can make fairly big gains. Hammered this and the rest of the descent to put me ahead of the group. Legs were in a jock by the time I got the road, waved through the closed roads by the excellent gardai, and one last km in the park, to get home in 9th.

Fairly happy with the result. Delighted to see sub 4 min km pace for the last km in the park which is flat. A bit behind those I usually race with it. A fast course.

I've no idea what speed can maintain over the half marathon distance. One of the lads reckoned I could've ran their pace but not sure. Must get a good race in to see where I'm at.

1.37 mountain half marathon? Will that translate into a sub 3 Dublin marathon? hmmmm

13km Tuesday.

Absolute suffer fest of a run. Many Pints and late night burger king not ideal prep. Who knew?

Legs were heavy, felt terrible and the heat! Roasting out. Somehow managed to get it done and could certainly feel Sunday's race.

IMRA race Sugarloaf.

Final race in the summer league. Every year, I’m lulled in a false sense of complacency, ‘ah sure it’s a short race, not that high, sure up and down in half an hour, it’s technically a recovery run.’ I was fairly wrecked before the race and was going to give it a miss but you can’t miss the Sugarloaf, it’s a fun race.

There’s a bottleneck right at the start of the race so you need to shift your arse at the start to be in a good position going in the single trail.

Sliding around in the muck, I was anything but graceful. I reckon I felt ‘good’ for about 7 minutes before I cracked. The pace was too fast for me and the climb too steep. Legs trembling all the way up in a miserable trudge. Walking on fairly flat sections while getting passed. Leading lady went by me and tried to keep up, we’ve had some great battles over the last three weeks but she disappeared fairly quickly.

Luckily, the ground rose again and my walking pace equalled the running pace of those around me, so no time lost or gained. I see PeterX coming off the mtn just as I’m going up with a massive lead. He’s looking good for Gaelforce.

A last push up to the summit and I made one place. The wind on top was nuts, really strong, t-shirt blowing over my head. I went to lean down into the climb but nothing, the wind was blowing me back.

Careful but nifty descent from the main cone and it was on to a tricky fast descent. Legs felt ok here and started picking off runners to the finish, making about 4 places. Grass sections were very slippery and nearly came a cropper a few times. Nicked a place right at the end on the last 20 metres of tarmac. Excellent.

Very tough race. BBQ afterwards and a pint. All for €7 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 BriBru

Hey,
    I posted a review of the race up the Sugarloaf.
    Have a gander at it and let me know what ye think!
    Thanks!
    http://wp.me/p2BJun-9

BriBru wrote: »
    Hey,
    I posted a review of the race up the Sugarloaf.
    Have a gander at it and let me know what ye think!
    Thanks!
    http://wp.me/p2BJun-9

Nice review! The climb up is a killer all right. The descent is great craic tho. Makes the pain worth it.

16km on Thursday

Handy run, some good tunes and nice views. Really enjoyable and it felt easy. No garmin so no idea of times.

I found myself in that awkward situation where another runner passes you and then seems to step off the gas. You then end up really close to them for the next mile and you’re wondering if he thinks you’re trying to race him. Or vice versa.

Legs felt great despite a tough-ish 7 days. Wedding this weekend which will impact training.

24 km lsr (Monday)

Did the lsr today. Wedding at weekend. Great fun and lots of booze so no training. Two day thing. Anyway stupidly started run at 3pm AND without water. Was roasting out.

Felt terrible for most of it, 2 days of booze. Then the heat. Wow. Around 13km, I was getting really thirsty and sweating buckets. A long 6km back home to get some water and then the last 5km. Around 4.55 km pace. Tough going, thoughts of running 4.15 for 42km. Yikes

Tuesday 14km lactate threshold (8km at half marathon/15km pace)

I'll start with a question, how wrecked should you feel after a session like this? following 2 days after a 24km lsr?

So the plan was to run at pace aimed at running 2.55 marathon, which meant 8km at 3.57 pace. This is all based off McMillan calculator. My 5 mile PB gives me a marathon time of 2.56.

5km warm up, mainly uphill. Then into the 8kms at 3.57 pace. First 2kms felt ok but it was a struggle after that to keep the pace, come the 6th km, I was in bits, legs were like jelly. Eventually got to the end on the limit. 60 seconds rest and 1km warm down.

Splits were 3.59, 3.57, 3.55, 3.56, 3.57, 3.55, 3.58, 3.58. So fairly bang on, think avg is 3.57.

But I was right on the limit and the thoughts of sustaining that pace for a HM seems far fetched. But there is that 24 LRS less than 48 hours earlier. 4 min kms have felt easier in the past.

8km recovery run. 41 mins.

New trainers. Handy run, lovely evening for it.

Saturday 13.5km (supposed to be 16)

Felt great on this run, legs felt fresh. Plan called for 16 but wanted to get home to see Phelps.

Monday 26km, 16km at marathon pace

This went surprisingly well. Haven't really ran at planned marathon pace so this would give me a good indicator. Spent most of yesterday sheltering from rain and drinking wine so not ideal prep.

Headed to the park, nice relaxed first 10km and then the plan was to run 4.07min per km for the last 16km. Followed the 10 mile route which has a nasty incline at the end.

Felt pretty good for most of it, found it difficult to control the pace, lots of watch checking. Bit of yo yoing between too fast and too slow. First 8kms were comfortable and went through in 32.49, a bit fast but was fairly flat.

Picked up some water and was still feeling good heading into the S bends. However, started to feel the effort almost immediately going up hill. By the time I reached military road I was struggling to hold the pace. Managed to get up the upper glen road and then onto Furze road where the legs felt like jelly. Was a real effort to pick up the pace here, splits were 4.22 and 4.17 for kms 14 and 15. Last km down Chesterfield and delighted to clock 4.06 for the last one. Was in bits at the end but joy of joy, there was an ice cream van parked by my car.

33.10 second half. Average pace of 4.08 which would be a marathon time of 2.54. I was fairly wrecked at the end of this though

Really pleased with the session, the 4km at the end was tough but was comfortable until then. I'll never slag off the 'hills' in the park again ;)

Wednesday 13km 10 * 100 strides

Rest day yesterday and legs felt fine after the hard session. It’s a recovery week so 13km today with 10 * 100 strides.

Well the legs were tired today despite couch surfing the previous day. The kms ticked by very slowly. At 10km, I did the 10 * 100 strides. Really enjoyed this. Can’t remember the last time I sprinted in training. With plenty of time to recover, (100 metres sprint, 100 metre run) the reps flew by and another 3km to finish. Legs are fairly knackered. Still breaking in my new shoes.

Which leads to me a small rant. Left my trail shoes in my parking spot, (in an underground secure carpark) to dry over the weekend. Neatly lined up against the wall, behind the car. Arrived home last night to notice they were missing.
    Turns out someone from the management company threw them out. Said he thought they were dumped. Made no attempt to contact me to see if I owned them despite having my details etc. So no trails shoes. Furious. I’ve contacted company to see what they’ll do about it. One pair, I’d be annoyed, but two pairs? Both in good nick

8km recovery.

Easy run. Legs and hips but tight from the strides. Hundreds of runners out tonight. Must organise a sports massage soon.

Looks like I'll be doing Gaelforce in 2 weeks so might need to juggle schedule.

• Advertisement

Friday 13km aerobic

Did this first thing this morning. Didn't wake up till about 4km in. Straight out the door, no breakfast. Oddly, started to get stomach cramps half way through. That aside, lovely morning on the Great South Wall, had it to myself.

Still in two minds about the DLR 10km. BBQ day before so will see how that goes. There's supposed to be entry on the morning of the race.

Advertisement