Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little bit of everything, just faster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

IMRA race trooperstown

This was a bit of a sufferfest and riddled with mistakes on part. Was looking forward it, had ran the race twice previously so I thought I had the course sussed out which was mistake number 1. The race starts uphill immediately and doesn't really stop till the last 3km or so. But its completely runnable.

Started off near the front and was with the leaders up until 2km. Went off far too fast looking back and was shelled out the back. Mistake number 2. After that, I couldn't get the legs going at all, a burning sensation that lasted all through the race. Mistake number 3 was that I was chasing another runner that I thought was of similar ability to me. I realised after the race that he wasn't the person I thought he was!

At this stage, after just 3km, I was wrecked. Was passed on the climb up 'boots' and tried to hang on to him. Was in around 10th at this stage. Mistake number 4 was going off course although pretty much everyone in the front pack did the same. Minor detour compared to what was to come.

Kept two runners in sight and was managing to keep in touch, they weren't opening the gap. Could hear other runners gaining on me anytime we got to the steep stuff but would get a bit of a break on them on the downhill. Was a bit muddy in places which made grip an issue. I was in a heap now as we got the last climb. I had a bit of a gap on the chasers but the 2 in front me started to disappear.

Mistake number 5 happened just as I got near the end of the climb. I still don't how I did it but I missed the turn, went down the wrong side of the mountain and to make matters worse, took another 4 lads with me. I had a feeling I was going the wrong way. Was only when we got a road that it was clear we were pretty much lost. Couldn't see any sign of the race. We guessed which way to go and eventually rejoined the race. A right pain in the arse, all that hard work for nothing. I was just completely shattered and wasn't paying attention. It was head down, try to find decent footing and hope the descent comes. Never looked up at the route. Felt bad for dragging the lads with me. Was in around 11th at the time judging by the photos. I wouldn't mind, I did this race when the mountain was covered in cloud and managed to go the right way!

Jogged back in, legs were wrecked. Still, a beautiful day's hill running in Wicklow is still a beautiful day. Not sure if my legs were still battered from Annagh or, most probably, going off too fast and never recovering.

Here's my garmin log of it: http://connect.garmin.com/player/150780667 and this is the correct course (except for the last 1km) http://connect.garmin.com/activity/69501869

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Run 14.5 km 62 mins or so.

Lovely run. Doing 4.15 km pace with ease.

That's great going Warren. Most of my runs are over 5 minute pace. I am introducing some quicker runs. I did a nice 12k run last week at 4:25 avg pace with some quicker Ks in the middle. Felt strong enough but certainly wouldn't be able to do all my runs that quick.

Shame about Trooperstown.

So first run in two weeks. Unable to do any training since Trooperstown. Picked up an infection of sorts which got complicated and resulted in a couple of nights in hospital. Nothing serious though. Meant I missed out on Ballycotton.

8.84km 40 mins 28, avg pace 4.35.

Easing myself back into it and took out my new ds trainer 17s for a first spin. They were expensive slippers till now.

Was ok run but last 2 weeks have taken their toll. Legs felt like jelly after 4km and a bit of an effort to get home. Still, delighted to be out running and feeling good. Legs are a bit sore now. Will ease myself back in. Runners felt great tho, nice and light but comfy.

Due to run Wicklow trail race, 25km, at end of month. Didn't realise it was 25km! Also hope to do Hellfire spring IMRA on 18th. Make a nice brick session. Onwards and upwards!

10.73km 55 minutes. avg pace 5min km pace.

Nice handy run. Had DOMS from yesterday's run, bizarre. Took it much slower today and legs felt ok,still a bit sore and stiff. Lovely evening, ticking off the days till clocks go forward. Not long now.

My legs are still battered after two easy runs. Did a bit of googling and there can be issues for running after a stint of antibiotics.

For example, the antibiotic Cipro has an increased risk of tendonitis and tendon rupture :eek:

My left calf is sore and tight today and feels like it's on the verge of a pull.

Anyone any experience of sore legs/DOM after antibiotics? Is a case of just getting used to running after a 2 week break?

Will stick to the bike for a few easy sessions for rest of week

• Advertisement

Thursday turbo 60 minutes.

Km 26.3
    cad 87 max 134
    Watt 178 max 307
    HR avg 147 max 177

Easy bike with 30 mins in recovery zone and second half in aerobic with a few mins in anaerobic. Calf is still tight, felt fine on bike. First bike in around 3 weeks but felt comfortable.

Sunday 9km 45 mins ish.

Tested out the left calf and mixed results. Still a bit tight and had to stop a few times to stretch it out. Second 4.5km felt a bit better. Lots of stretching planned for this week. Wicklow trail in 2 weeks. Hopefully I'll make start line. That said, my longest run in last 4 months is 16km so 25km will be a tester.

Monday 55km avg 23.5.

Hilly cycle, up to Cruagh, onto stocking lane and down into Glencree and Enniskerry. Back home via Bray/Blackrock. Enjoyable ride. Nice day for it.

Felt tough climbing but did manage to climb in a higher gear than normal so signs of improvement. Will compare climb times compared to last year when I upload Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Anyone any experience of sore legs/DOM after antibiotics? Is a case of just getting used to running after a 2 week break?

Yep, I ran a 10k when I finished a course of ABs and it was like dragging to planks of wood around it. Felt a bit more sprightly a few days later

Tuesday 10.2 km avg 4.25 min per km...ish

Calf held up until about 4kms and started getting tight. A few stretches of the 'pushing against a wall' variety was a quick fix. Will stay off it tomorrow and see how it goes on Thursday. Hopefully get a sports massage before then.

Listened to the February mix by Ian O'Donovan, an Irish dj who's getting a lot of support by the likes of Laurent Garnier/John Digweed. Perfect for medium length runs at pace

This mix is excellent. Can download for it free from soundcloud here.

http://soundcloud.com/ian-odonovan/ian-odonovan-iod-sessions-001

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Calf held up until about 4kms and started getting tight. A few stretches of the 'pushing against a wall' variety was a quick fix. Will stay off it tomorrow and see how it goes on Thursday. Hopefully get a sports massage before then.

You seem to have exactly what I have, I can get away with about 3-4k of running before it becomes too tight. Went to a physio on friday and she reckons its a achilles strain. Try a couple of one legged hops on the dodgy calve, that was proof enough for her when I couldn't manage them. Nothing too bad though - plenty of calf stretches - take a week or two off and stick to grass for the first few runs back. She did say though that rest wouldn't fix it, I would need to strengthen the calf muscle over a 12 week period for it to stay away

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    You seem to have exactly what I have, I can get away with about 3-4k of running before it becomes too tight. Went to a physio on friday and she reckons its a achilles strain. Try a couple of one legged hops on the dodgy calve, that was proof enough for her when I couldn't manage them. Nothing too bad though - plenty of calf stretches - take a week or two off and stick to grass for the first few runs back. She did say though that rest wouldn't fix it, I would need to strengthen the calf muscle over a 12 week period for it to stay away

Did the one legged hop and can definitely feel it pulling. I think I've caught it in time.

I've had a similar issue almost exactly a year ago and the reason then was tight feet which were then pulling on the calves. Eventually sorted itself out with lots of stretching and rolling my foot on a tennis ball.

Swim 1050 metres.

First swim in 4 weeks and it felt like it. It was hilariously bad, I even managed to swim sideways into the lane divider at one point. Every single stroke felt like I was swimming through mud. Decided to do 2 * 400 metres and decided how I felt after that, which was knackered. Arms were in bits.
    Did a few more lengths to get over 1km. Sauna afterwards to loosen my calf. All in all, a crap swim but to be expected. Definitely need to get in the pool at least twice a week.

IMRA Hellfire Spring league

Paid a trip to the physio during the week. Got a sport massage which revealed my hips were really tight and pretty much the rest of my legs. What followed was an hour of intense pain. Message was to keep doing core exercises and to get a roller. Hips were tight which in turn were overloading calves hence they were getting tight.

Got to the race early to do some volunteering. Still in two minds whether to run, as it was just my fifth run in a month, but decided to give it a lash given the beautiful day.

None of the big IMRA guns were there so I was quietly entertaining a podium spot. Off we went and soon found myself in third, pace was grand.

Turned off on the fire road and onto the steep ride to the top. Still comfortable, ran most of it, did some strides on a tricky section but lost no ground. Popped out of the top in second place, feeling pretty good. http://www.imra.ie/photos/view/id/58640/

The hard climb was over and I was sitting in second behind a St Brigids runner who I knew won it last year. Went over the top and briefly found myself leading on the initial descent as the leader seemed to take his foot off the gas. Then a stampede of a 4 runners came rushing by and the race really got started. I hung on to the first two lads but could not get any speed from the legs and starting to lose ground.

Through a forest section which was pretty boggy and I was suffering. Was in around 5th at this stage but in bits. A couple of runners passed me on the next climb. I was reduced to walking as i was shattered. Could still see the group who didn't seem to be gaining on me but neither was I. Second last climb I got passed by another runner who was flying. Later found out he made up about 6 places after the first climb. Great running.

Spotted John the photographer and didn't even bother to make out I was running for the camera, hands on knee pic was the result. Down the last descent, a sneaky look back to check I was ok and took it handy down a slippy descent. Got home in 8th. So tired afterwards.

Enjoyable race though. Slightly disappointed to get dropped so easily on the descent as the pace wasn't particularly fast and it was a fireroad. Legs just wouldn't respond, no speed. Or could equally be the case that the bunch really took it handy on the climb and simply started racing after reaching the top.

Still, no complaint from the calf. Went for a 5km run later to loosen the legs and they seemed ok.

Monday Bike 55km 2 hours 36 mins, avg speed 21.2 kmph, climb 794 metres

Really nice ride over Cruagh, Powerscourt mtn and Sally Gap. Down by Lough Tay, Shramore and home towards Sugar Loaf and to Bray, and the Dart home.

Pretty much climbed most of the afternoon. A 10km climb more or less to top of Kilkee road. A stiff wind was blowing so made some of the climbing tough. Climb towards Powerscourt mountain was nuts, wind was howling down the valley, catching front wheel a couple of times. Was barely moving at times. Usually at the top you can head towards Sally Gap at full pelt but wind had me grinding it out. Took an 'emergency' gel here as was wrecked. Lough Tay was stunning as always, glistening in the sun, but I forgot about the small steep climb there. More mashing of pedals. Took another gel as stomach was rumbling. Nice spin towards Bray then and onto Dart home. The cycle from Bray to Dublin can be a pain in the arse, I would rather spend more kms in the hills.

Tuesday Run 12.84km recovery run 59 mins.

Calf is holding up fine, the power of the sports massage! Out to Irishtown nature reserve and the great south wall lighthouse. Felt good and was running 4.30km comfortably. It's a great place for tempo/intervals as roads are empty. Legs were a bit tired but starting to get back into it. Will try some intervals this week.

Had to give Wicklow Trail a miss. It would be a sufferfest, 25kms across Wicklow isn't easy at the best of times. Might do more damage than good and set me back a few weeks.

Turbo intervals 60 mins. Watt avg 199, cad 92, km 28.6

A great session. Tough in places but felt manageable throughout. Cycling is coming along nicely, would’ve struggled on this a couple of months ago.
    I still need something decent to watch for the hour. Low attention span on the turbo rules out films/tv shows.

Thursday Run intervals 11km
    First intervals in months. Decided to ease back in with 3 * 1km at 3.30 pace. Did out my Irishtown nature park/Poolbeg. Lovely quiet road by the beach that stretches for just over 1km so a great spot.
    First 1km was a shock to the system. 3.35. Second 1km 3.33 and third was 3.38. First and third were into a bit of a head wind, nothing major though. Was fairly knackered afterwards but it’s always a great feeling to finish some intervals.
    3km warm up and another 5km afterwards.

Thursday Swim 1000 metres ish
    Usually swim at lunch time but that’s not working out so went in the evening. Pool wasn’t that busy but only 3 lanes open and of that, only 1 was viable. (walkers/loungers in the other 2.) Mainly did reps of 50 metres and 100s. Following a break of over a month, swim has really deteriorated, struggling to get back up to speed. Stroke is crap. Odd enjoyable rep but a slog otherwise. I can do 50 metres in 60 seconds so that gives an idea of the level I’m at.

Saturday AM run 13km 60 minutes. 4km at tempo.

Finally managed to drag myself out of bed for a run before work and what a fantastic morning for a run it was. Out by the sparkling Irish sea, sandy beach, runner’s high, great tunes, clocks going forward tonight, bliss.

Sluggish start, slowly warmed up and a fast 4km at the end at around four min km pace. Can feel the speed coming back.

A solid week. I’m changing my weekly schedule around a bit and seems to be working.

Sunday 5km 23 mins

Unbelievable hangover but given how blue skies I wasn't prepared to sit on the couch all day.
    1km - "This isn't too bad, I feel great, can't believe how easy this feels."

2km - 5km "I think I'm about to die. My HR shouldn't be that high. Ah ****, there's too many people around to puke. I feel dizzy. So hot, pretty sure this is how runners feel in the Marathon Des Sables, yup definitely. My Garmin is broken, there's no way the pace is that slow."

I like to think running with a hangover brings up the HTFU levels but yesterday was rough.

Monday 57km cycle

Glorious blue skies over Wicklow today. Really is a stunning part of the country. Same route as last week but about 10 minutes quicker. Roads were ridiculously quiet, was fantastic. Got my photograph taken by an Indian tourist who was impressed with my KOM esque skills, which vanished once I got around the corner and slowed down to stop the burning in my legs. Shorts and short sleeves heading to Sally Gap in March, madness.

Great ride though, managed to climb in a higher gear than normal, i.e. second lowest gear, on the steep stuff.

Tuesday long run 16km

Loving this weather. Was feeling the heat towards the end and was fairly thirsty. Probably asking for a trouble doing a quick long run after a long bike but felt ok, bit sluggish at the start. It's been a while since I ran this far and could certainly feel it in the legs but kept the pace around 4.20 min per km with odd 4.10 thrown in.

Tuesday night 1km ish swim

Decent swim. Slowly got into it. Mainly 50 reps before 200s. Lane was packed so kept to the short stuff.

Wednesday 13km run

Originally planned a turbo but given weather decided bike. Training hard is all well and good but it's for fun too. However late of work so opted for run.

Caught the stunning sunset over Dublin bay from the south wall. Beautiful. Felt good and kept it steady. Two pints of Guinness for recovery.

Thursday turbo intervals. 50 mins
    Dist 22.7, average 28.7 km
    Watts avg 196

Workout initially looked daunting but got through it. Big effort required tho. Had to skip last set due to time pressure.

Swim later.

1500 metres swim

Finally a bit of light in the swimming tunnel. Not the normal slog fest. 1 * 500, 4 * 250s. All felt fine, last 250 was a bit of a drag. First time swimming twice in a week in an age and I can already see the benefits.

Take it handy today and intervals tomorrow morn or evening. Plan to run the WAR route at some stage over the weekend.

Good solid week but I am knackered!

• Advertisement

Saturday 8km

An easy hangover filled 8km.

Sunday 13km, intervals 4 * 1km

Did this on Sunday morning. Initially I was looking forward to it but after a 4km warm up, I felt knackered. Cranked up the tunes and off I went. First 1km felt ok, as did the second. Third was a bit of a struggle and the fourth was a tester. Felt ok afterwards though and was considering another one but thought better off it. Happy to see that the reps came in at 3.32, 3.32, 3.31 and 3.34.

Monday Glendalough Spinc run 12km 380metre climb

A recce for an upcoming WAR race in 2 weeks. I love this circuit, a 10kmish loop with some of the finest views in the country, all off road and a great descent.

Started off from the lower (free) carpark and trotted along with a camelbak and an emergency mars bar and gels. Plan was to amble along, check out the route as well as getting some climbing in the legs. Somehow I missed the fire road at the very start of the race route and ended up flogging myself up some steps to find the start. Up through the steep forest and along the sleepers. Ran most of it, bar the odd steep section. At this stage, I was getting great encouragement from the walkers. Popped out on top and rewarded with some stunning scenery.

For some reason I thought that was all the climbing done and was happily thinking the climb wasn't as bad as I remembered. Sure enough I eventually hit the second climb of 500 feet or so. Bit of a lung buster but again the walkers were full of kind words and helpfully stepped aside. Reach the top and practically flung myself off the top. The initial descent is lovely, real leg stretcher after the climbs. The lake is way below you on the right with the trail falling away ahead of you and the stunning valley.

Feeling good I pushed it after the sleeper/boardwalk section and went hard on the rocky parts, picked some really nice lines and kept the speed up. I reckon I can make up a shed load of time on this section.

Across the wooden bridge for the real tricky part of the downhill. Lots of lose stone and boulders, real ankle breaker of a section, and it zig zags all the way down. Really have to concentrate here which makes progress a bit slow and occasionally with your eyes glued to the terrain, you take a few wrong/slow lines. I took it easy here, no point in turning an ankle outside of a race. The descent also gives your stomach muscles a bit of a beating with all the jolts.

Out at the miner's village and the last 3km of undulating fireroad. Hard enough section to get the legs going again and seems to go on for ages.

Haven't uploaded the garmin yet but I think my time today was faster than in last year's race which is excellent as I wasn't pushing that hard on the climbs.

Some pics.

This is halfway down the descent. I've come from the ridge on the right.

photorlm.jpg

The first stoney descent
    photo1qwr.jpg

Tuesday turbo intervals 60 mins

Swapped swim with turbo due to Barca c Milan match.

Distance 28.5
    Watt 680 max 311,  avg 198
    HR avg 156
    Max 181

Tough going. Legs felt tired getting on. Struggled to get the cadence up to 100 on some reps, hardest gear was done in a cadence just over 80. HR was in the right zone and pushed into plus 90% at times.

Wednesday 13km easy

Missed the pool at lunchtime. Was shattered this morning. Nice if a bit chilly run this evening. Strong wind out by the coast, sea was v choppy. Legs felt v tired but was keen to get used to the idea of running on tired legs, so threw in a few quick kms. Happy with how legs responded, often it's a mental game to get the pace up.

Thursday tempo

One of those runs where you feel a bit tired but go on to smash the session. Plan was to do a tempo run, this time properly.
    I’ve called a tempo anything that is over relaxed running in the past but did a bit of reading on it.

So my understanding of a tempo run now is 20 mins at 10km or half marathon pace?

So looked up McMillan time and headed out at lunch.

3km warm up and legs were heavy. Stuck on the techno and off I went. First km was tough, 2nd km was steady. Turned into a breeze that required a bit of an effort. Not being used to the feel of the pace meant constantly checking the garmin.

Not ideal which led to an uncomfortable third km. 4th km was ok and 5th km sure I was on the home straight.

Did the 5km in under 20mins and kept on going on till the clocked reached 20. Fairly tired afterwards. Another 3km to warm down. Have a vague plan of a first attempt at sub 40 min 10km at the Samsung night run. I'm hitting the right intervals and tempo times according to McMillan. To hit the McMillan predicted time would mean running quicker than today's tempo. Shall see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Have a vague plan of a first attempt at sub 40 min 10km at the Samsung night run. I'm hitting the right intervals and tempo times according to McMillan. To hit the McMillan predicted time would mean running quicker than today's tempo. Shall see.

Will be no bother to ya... Well, it will hurt a bit but the way you are training its more than achievable. I did 38:XX in a race last year and I was doing half the training you are. Doing longer intervals e.g., 1 mile @ 6m/m pace X 4 was a key session for me.

Will be no bother to ya... Well, it will hurt a bit but the way you are training its more than achievable. I did 38:XX in a race last year and I was doing half the training you are. Doing longer intervals e.g., 1 mile @ 6m/m pace X 4 was a key session for me.

Yeah, should be OK but road running is a tough business. The constant same pace is painful! Meaning to break out the longer mile intervals all right.

Thursday evening 1600 metre swim

Got a bit of swimming mojo back. Pool was very quiet so jumped straight in and did 1,000 metres straight. Felt decent doing it. Good confidence booster ahead of the 1500 metre river swim in Athy that I’m slightly concerned about. Did 2* 250metre to finish and small warm down.

Monday 6km

Bleurgh. Did nothing all weekend other than gorge on food and pints. Felt crap for most it with head cold conpounding things.

Short run to get some fresh air and stretch the legs after 3 days of lazing. Taking this week handy enough anyway with race on Saturday.

Tuesday brick

Figured I'd get one in before WAR on Saturday. I generally find the legs ok after the bike.

Bike 32 mins. 29ish km.

Run 4km ish 18 minutes.

Half hour on turbo, took it handy before getting the HR up and then spun the legs for last couple of mins. Off the bike and out the door. Legs felt fine and did a fast 2km before heading back same way. Nice session and legs felt fresh.

Will be a handy week

• Advertisement

Run 11km 50 odd mins

Handy enough run until the rain clouds loomed into view. Was out on the great south wall when I could see the huge rain shower heading towards me. Could feel the wind picking up dramatically as the wall is very exposed, given that it’s practically out at the sea. Spectacular skies, along with the wild life made for a lovely run.

The rain clouds led to a quicker second half but still managed to get caught in the shower. Was refreshing at first initially. Was trying out a cycling top that I never ran in ahead of WAR on Saturday. Ouch is all I can say.

Advertisement