Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little bit of everything, just faster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

those bloody nipples:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

I'm sure we'll cross paths at some stage on Saturday but if we dont, best of luck with it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Cheers Dogsly. You too. Will say hello before the gun.

Should be an interesting race. Lots of variables.

WAR Race

Great event at the weekend. Epic start to the morning with massive thunderstorm and hail showers on the way there, as well as a tornado (water spout) on the way. Thought it might be called off at one stage.

Weather eventually broke in time for the start. The race climbs immediately from the start. Bit of a jockeying for position ahead of the single sleepers through the forest. A guy surged ahead just as we got there so I was second hitting the single track which was fine with me. A guy from IMRA soon passed me and I decided to tuck in behind him. There's lots of step here, I find it easier to take long strides and take two at a time rather than run it tippy toe style. Plan was to save the legs for the descent.

Popped out at the top in third with 1st and 2nd just ahead. Greeted with hail stones which when you're on the top of the spinc, hurt! Closed the gap slightly on 2nd as we approached the second climb. Walked/ran this section while 2nd place ran it. 4th place caught up to me but didn't pass me, happy enough to pace it and pointed out that 3rd wasn't increasing the gap despite running it.

Finally hit the peak and let rip on the descent. Caught 2nd very quickly but was unable to get pass. I tried one overtaking move in the boggy section off the sleepers before getting past on the 2nd attempt. Lost a bit of time but had a free route ahead of me as first was no-where in sight.

Kept the pace high through the flatish miner's village and into transition in 2nd place.

bike
    Was hoping to have some company on the bike but 1st was well gone. Head down and was able to maintain a decent pace. No sign of anyone catching me till about 25 mins when a guy on a tri bike breezed by me. He was that fast, I couldn't even grab his wheel. Eventually I was caught by another guy at the start of the last climb before kayaks, who was behind me on the run. I grabbed his wheel and managed to keep him in sight. Into transition and we agreed to kayak together.

Kayak was the usual pain in the arse. Was caught here by a guy in a single kayak. He managed to put over 4 minutes into me in this section, wiping out the 3 mins I had put in on the run. Still, kayak was decent enough.

Back on the bike, short steep climb and pretty much downhill/flat all the way to last transition. On the drops the whole time, I was cycling scared at this stage, really didn't want to be caught at this stage.

Into transition just to see 4th place leaving. Legs felt really heavy and sluggish. I bonked at this stage last year so was dreading it. Very undulating course, short steep 'bumps.' Finally got legs going and my pre race plan was to run the last section at under 4 minute per km pace which I was hitting. I was using the tourists to 'hide.' About 1km to go, 4th place came back in to view and he was suffering. The gap was closing all the time but alas ran out of course.

Happy to see that officially I finished 6th. First race of the season and raced well. Could've pushed it a bit harder on the bike and both runs but will find my limit in due course.

The guy who won it wasn't actually in the correct race distance which is a bit of a joke. Great performance and he probably would've won it anyway. He went off with the 'expert' field but was actually in the sports race.

But he would've had to pass 2nd place in the last run to claim victory. Therefore second place never 'knew' he was being passed and respond accordingly. That and it denies rest of the field actually covering breaks in the first run. I would've never beaten him but still.

Besides that, great race.

EDIT organisers said there was a bit of a mix up re the waves and the winner was put into wrong wave by mistake. They spoke to the top 3 who were happy to allow the results stands which is fair enough.

Well done lad, great performance at the weekend. Thanks again to you and your brother for the push start!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well done

Was off last week with a chest infection/cold. Just couldn't shift it. After the race my chest was wrecked. Late nights didn't help.

Saturday 6km
    Handy run to ease myself back in

Swim Monday 1600 metres

6 * 250 metres plus 100m of splashing about. Ok session. 6 weeks to first tri at Triathy so need to get the swim sessions in. Felt ok, last 500 metres were tough. Arms falling off me! But keen to get the distance in.

Run 8.65km

Nice fast run, couple of fast kms thrown in. Avg pace of 4.15 or so.

IMRA summer league starts again on Wednesday. Will try make Bray. Fun race and easy to get to. Can be rammed at the start tho.

Bike, 30.43km 60 minutes

Had the turbo set up but given the break in the weather, I thought feck it and headed to the Phoenix Park.

One of the problems I have on the bike is determining effort and not being able/wanting to suffer on the bike. There’s a nice 4km loop that has a mixture of climbing, flat and downhill. Down by the s bends, up acre road, down the Kyber and repeat. It also has the advantage that there are no junctions etc to slow you down, besides walkers in the bike lane…on Kyber road.

Plan was to hold 30km for the hour. Last 20 minutes was tough to hold it, particularly on the inclines. There’s about 50 metres climb per lap, enough to test me. So delighted to see 30.43km at the end of the session.

I was wrecked afterwards and the bike home was v slow, totally drained. Great bike though, nice weather, passing the deer at the grass edge, loads of rabbits, fresh air, the GREAT OUTDOORS!

Compared to the turbo, this was a tougher session, could really feel my legs aching, the good ache, afterwards. I appear to train harder outside and able motivate myself to push harder on inclines etc. Not able to upload Garmin details but HR was pretty high most of the time.

Training is a bit intermittent due to work/hacking cough.

Saturday swim 1500 metres

4 sets of 380 metres (19 metre pool). This first thing in the morning which is a first for me. Didn't feel half as tired as I expected nor hungry. Hill walk afterwards which was a bit of craic.

Monday swim 2000 metres

Swam 1500 metres non stop for the first time. Whoop. Means I shouldn't drown next month in Athy. Last 250 metres dragged a bit. According to the pool clock, my time was 35 mins.

Did another 2 * 250 to finish for a really good session.

Looking at last year's Athy results, 35 mins isn't too bad a time. Not as bad as I was expecting. Good boost ahead of the race, I was really keen to get the distance under the belt.

Target for Athy? Under 2 hours 30 looks achievable.

Run 9km ish

Really enjoyable run in the rain. Can't remember the last time I went for a run while it was raining. Just goes to show, it doesn't rain THAT often.

Met a group of runners just as I was leaving who joked to go back inside. They later admitted it was great night for a run. Stuck to the paths and did a quick blast around the neighbourhood. Lovely and refreshing.

IMRA race tomorrow.

• Advertisement

IMRA Three Rock 9.4km
    Great race last night on a fairly tough course. Had everything in it, tough climbs, fast and furious descents, a nice amount of slop and a last gasp sprint through a dark forest, dodging trees.

The start of the race took a few of us by surprise, just a bunch of people yelling go! In about 8th going into the single track. Steady enough climb before reaching the steeper stuff in the forest. Out onto the road and legs were feeling the burn. Lost a couple of place before reaching the aerials before going down the boneshaker.

Fairly rough descent, lots of stone and mud. Breathing was a bit all over the shop. Felt like the descent was longer than the initial climb, looped around and before we know it, we’re climbing again. Steep water logged climb, hands on knees affair. Managed to hold on to lads in front and no-one passed me.

Onto a fireroad, that seemed to go on for ages. A slight downhill and caught up with one runner while being passed by another. Eventually, we take a turn back up towards the Fairy Castle. This was fairly waterlogged. Not as steep as previous ones but decided to take it handy and save legs for the downhill.

Got passed by another runner just as we reached the top. He was a great descender so pretty much ran in his footsteps. Lots of potential ankle twisting rocks, along with puddles and mud. We caught another runner just before we returned to the aerials which made for a 3 way battle on the road. Was in bits at this stage and didn’t fancy a sprint. Managed to pull away from the fast descender on the road and was right on other guy’s heels going in the forest. Think I clocked a sub 3 minute km on this stretch! Unfortunately, he picked the wrong line and went off course. I gave him a shout but got a decent gap on him by the time he turned around.
    Finished just outside top 10 but happy with the race.

Swim 1000 metres 25 minutes.

Struggled to make this session. Just knackered. Last minute decision and legged it out the door to get to the pool at 9pm, before it closed half an hour later. Straight into some lengths. Felt sluggish, and could really feel the effort in my arms and shoulders despite not appearing to be going any faster than Monday when it was easier. Not sure if I lost count and swam further. (or less on Monday)

Saturday 9.4km

Weekend of fun running. Lovely afternoon in Tibradden. Legs bit heavy but handy pace kept legs ticking over to Fairycastle. Forgot how hard the path is on the ankles.

Sunday Wicklow Way recce. 12.?km

Ridiculously good run. Empty trails through thick forest, wild deer running out in front of me, brilliant. Route was ok to follow, alot of steady climbing. Even the odd section on road was a joy to run on, views were just fantastic. Will be a tough leg to run quick without blowing up. Route has inspired me to run full route of Wicklow way. (not in one go.)

Oh and I nearly came acropper in spectacular fashion. Had just passed a group of runners when i went to vault a barrier leading into forest, about 1km from end. As i pushed off, my standing foot slipped. Eyes closed, smack into barrier with a load bang. Amazingly I stay up right. Quick look behind me and yup, I think they're looking back at me. Sheepish wave and leg it down last fire road.

Bike 56km

Mental gymnastics all afternoon trying to
    think of a reason to avoid the bike. I know it's blasphemy but a turbo is just wrong in May.

Headed out to Phoenix park. Decent evening for it. Did a big loop of around 9km. First lap and I was holding avg speed of over 30km. Plan was to do 40km so decided to see how long I could hold 30+km. It's an honest loop so delighted to finished the 40km with avg speed of 30.5kmph. Whoop!

Great evening all round. Courteous motorists, fairly empty roads, decent surface and wild life.

Listened to Maya Jane Coles Fabric mix. Really nice mix. Worth a listen.

Ten miles, 4.12 average.

Bit of a beast of a run. Couldn’t make the IMRA race so went out with the idea of getting a ‘long run’ in but didn’t want to fall into the trap of running aimlessly, so planned a tempo ish run.
    Noticed I was running at 4.12ish pace, which is sub 3 hour marathon time so decided to try and hold that for the 10 miles. Out along Clontarf see front and onto Bull Island and back home. Last 3km required a big effort but a negative split and sub 4 min km to finish. Probably the fastest 10 mile I’ve ever run.

Music was Sven Vath, Sound of the Twelfth season. Which includes this noice tune.

And this has summer track written all over it.

Swim 1600 metres.

3 * 500 metres, 100 warm down.
    This swimming lark would be much easier if I lived in a hot country. Total slog fest and not a pretty sight.
    In two minds about the Terenure 5 mile on Sunday. Bit tired now but would like to go all out and see can I hang on.

Busy weekend so didn't do much.

Sunday

Mountain run in Ticknock. Really enjoyable run. The climbs felt easier than last time. The trail builders have been remarkably busy lately. There’s a new path up towards the Fairy castle with wooden sleepers now going around the mound itself. Last week when I ran the same route, the stones were a pain in the arse but was able to skip over them this week (hangover less)

Tuesday 16km
    Garmin died so no idea of times but was brisk enough. I think summer has finally arrived. Lovely WARM sea breeze and lots of midges out. Again was a nice run, last couple of kms required a bit of an effort.

Wicklow Relay on Saturday so taking it easy this week. Hamstring is a bit tight but ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

nerraw1111 wrote: »

Wicklow Relay on Saturday so taking it easy this week. Hamstring is a bit tight but ok.

Eh... Saturday 26th?

WHAT? Ah jaysus, I thought it was this weekend! ha! I even organised time off. That should give my team a great vote of confidence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    WHAT? Ah jaysus, I thought it was this weekend! ha! I even organised time off. That should give my team a great vote of confidence!

Reckon your Team Captain needs to crack the whip a bit more:D

Still, better to get mistakes done with early. The race is won and lost on logistics. Good luck!

• Advertisement

Swim 1850 metres.
    My once a week, just get around Athy, swim. Newbie concern is not finishing the swim, so clocking up the lengths. Did 1500 straight off the bat. That felt ok. Then did a few more lengths but lane was getting packed so called it a day soon after. Arms were a good sore this morning.

Plan is to do some hill running this weekend in preparation for NEXT weekend’s Wicklow Way relay. Also want to do some of the ‘real’ IMRA races, i.e. Leinster championships, the circuit of Glendalough being a target race.

Training is a bit all over the shop of late.

bike 80km

Tough tough bike today. 850 metres of climb, over Sally gap and down into Laragh. First 40kms flew by, summer is finally here feeling, sun on the face, no wind, lovely stuff etc.

Stopped in Laragh for cake and coffee and couldn't get going again. Heavy legs, general knackered feeling made for a tough second half. A weekend of booze and crap food took its toll. That drag out through Roundwood and Ballinastoe was a bit of a killer. Second wind got me to Bray for some ice cream by the sea and onto the Dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Easy now for the rest of the week. Managers orders.

Easy now for the rest of the week. Managers orders.

Ha! Yeah an easy week, will run Glasnamullen on Wednesday and that's it, just tick over.

Athy Olympic tri report.

First triathlon and I was bricking it. Racked the bike and laid out my gear. Decided to leave bike top on bike.

Into the water which took my breath away instantly. I was calm but still a struggle to get breathing under control. First time in a wetsuit. Really surprised by the bouyancy of the suit. Like lying in a lilo!

Started at the back. Found the start thrilling, really enjoyed the chaos. I was even swimming over people. Eventually things settled down. Found it difficult to swim straight. I hugged the rope which more or less worked. After the turnaround my direction really went to ****, swimming diagonally from bank to rope, repeat!

Delighted to get out and feel fresh. 32.27. Felt I could've pushed harder but still all new to me. Bit dizzy standing up.

Onto the bike. Enjoyed it for the most part. Kept the pace height, spun up the hills and hammered the descents. I was on a road bike with gatorskins so not the fastest machine on the course. The speed some
    of the lads overtook me was nuts!

1.17 bike split.

Onto the run and felt great, immediately reeling people back in. I was hitting sub 4 minute kilometres with ease and aimed
    for sub 40. The river bank was a fairly packed so was weaving in and out. Around 5km, just after taking a caffeine gel, my stomach started cramping. Had visions of ducking behind some bushes. Started to slow a bit but still catching people. Crossed the line for a 41.36 run split and 2.36 overall.

Happy with first tri. Time was ok. Obviously lost loads of time on swim. Bike was ok but v happy with the run.

Well organised event and would recommend it as a first tri.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Nice one are you planning on doing any more this year?

catweazle wrote: »
    Nice one are you planning on doing any more this year?

I hope so. As I said, really surprised by how much I enjoyed the swim. Being able to swim that distance in a river was a great buzz. My swim was slow. With better training I should peg that time back a good bit. That said i do find the swim training a bit dull.

Looking at Dublin tri as date suits. Must check calendar.

I seem to be doing more races than actual training of late. A 2 week break in between didn't help either. So kinda in neutral at the moment.

So new regime from this week, will start a 10km training programme as well as putting some decent long runs in. The Wednesday IMRA races finish up in a few weeks so that'll free up time (and energy) for more specific training. Intervals before or after a hill race are painful.

Two IMRA races last week.

IMRA Powerscourt Uphill only race.

First time running in almost 2 weeks so not ideal preparation. Surprisingly, I seemed to have benefited from the rest, climbing much better than usual. Difficult race to pace, start too fast and you're screwed given the long climb, too slow and you won't make up the ground. I managed to climb really well in this race which may have been helped by the poor visibility. You couldn't see further than 20 metres so without seeing the incline, psychologically perhaps, I was able to keep running until the final climb. Very happy with the result.

IMRA circuit of Glendalough.

Warren Swords

Monday June 18
    My first mucky steps into an IMRA Championship race, without any red tape in sight.

The plan was to simply not get lost. Luckily, the weather played ball and the route was straight forward(ish) under such weather conditions.

Off we went with everyone choosing the direct trail up Camaderry. This was brutal on the legs. I had started in around 8th but was losing places all the way up to Camaderry east.

Eventually got the legs going in time for the fantastic descent. The hillside was soaking which made for a fun downhill. Most people seemed to be following the same line, crossing the river higher up from the footbridge. I had caught a small group in time for the sadistic climb up Lugduf. Relentless stuff but amazed to see a couple of people still running up it.

Was feeling ok at the summit of Lugduf and the group was now beginning to stretch out. Pushed on a bit to Mullacor and began to catch a group of four who were going well. I would lose ground on the climbs but get it back on the flat/downhill sections. This yo-yo-ing went on for most of the race.

I was fortunate in that the group I was chasing knew their way and took all the correct turn offs without having to check a map. By the time we got to Derrybawn, I reckon less than a minute separated four runners. The last descent of the day was very technical and tricky, lots of rock, deep trenches and covered terrain. I took a few chances running on the heather before rejoining the track and managed to get a gap on the others.

Hit the paths back to the carpark and had a guess at which one to take. Luckily it was the right one and was flying down the steps by the waterfall with another runner right behind me. An agonising run across the car park and suddenly, a boardsie pops out from god knows where in front of me with about 200 metres to go. The mind says go for it, the legs say 'you'll be doing well not to get caught let alone catch someone.' Stagger across the line in a heap.

An exhilarating race across a fantastic route.

• Advertisement

Well done at the weekend. You finished ahead of some damn good runners! What 10k programme are ya going to be following?

Advertisement