Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swifts need our help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭donal2000

Mark - how is that Swift tower doing that was mentioned earlier on in your posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

The Tesco tower? So far nothing because the non breeders havent arrived

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

dscf0129f.jpg
    My new triple cavity swift box:)
    Unfortunately where I live the main swift colony is after been destroyed. Two old house ,where loads nested every year, are after been demolished.:(

I passed the catholic church in Hacketstown (Carlow) today. I often see swifts around the church but there was none today. I looked closely and they are after putting up two wooden falcon cut outs to scare the birds away. Disgraceful.
    photo0044h.jpg
    mad0054.gif

You could knock on the door and explain what they are doing

The swifts that were in the old houses will be looking for new nests. Get the CD lure playing tomorrow. Do you have a copy?

• Advertisement

The swifts that were in the old houses will be looking for new nests. Get the CD lure playing tomorrow. Do you have a copy?
    I have a CD lure. Playing at dawn and in the evening after work. Hopefully I can attract a pair(s). I'm around 1 km from the old colony.

I will be in Hacketstown tomorrow again and will try and find the parish priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I was pleasantly suprised to observe a party of 6 screamers over Stephens Green and Grafton St yesterday evening - it must be a good sign for the species when they can hack it in such an urbanised setting:)

Two swifts flying around the nest box this morning. happy0045.gif

None this afternoon when I came home for lunch:confused:. Hopefully the gods will favour me.

non breeding / banging swifts at my house this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

For the past 2 months or so in Balbriggan while sitting out the back i've noticed maybe swifts( forked tails but nowhere near as pronounced as swallows) fly up under the eaves of the houses facing me and grip right in under there for a few seconds then leave. After awhile a noticed a build up of mucky stuff where they were-must get a pic. They have no stopped-is that swift behaviour?

• Advertisement

swifts normally have their tails closed. It sounds like house martins. Their white rumps should be obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Tarsna

Traonach wrote: »
    dscf0129f.jpg
    My new triple cavity swift box:)
    Unfortunately where I live the main swift colony is after been destroyed. Two old house ,where loads nested every year, are after been demolished.:(

I passed the catholic church in Hacketstown (Carlow) today. I often see swifts around the church but there was none today. I looked closely and they are after putting up two wooden falcon cut outs to scare the birds away. Disgraceful.
    photo0044h.jpg
    mad0054.gif

The house of the Lord should be open to all creatures

well said Tarsna! When it comes to preachers whether it's Catholic, Presbyterian, Methodist it's the same .... "not in my back yard!". I had a huge argument one day with a minister over all creatures great and small

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

^^ Magnificent

E39MSport wrote: »
    ^^ Magnificent
    That's what I think also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

They look very unsure on their feet. Often wondered how they fared when finally making land.

That's how they all walk. They walk with their toes and heel flat to the ground. Other birds was on their toes. This is why swifts are classed as non passerines - they dont perch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

videos from today

Those birds look almost happier on a vertical surface than a horizontal one!

LC

Saw another nice party of these over Inchichore near Dublin CC - I suspect all the old Victorian buildings and churches in the city offer many nesting sites:)

• Advertisement

Lost Covey heir feet are made for clinging not walking but when they want to they can go fast

Birdnuts churches are excellent for swifts but it's their downfall. Too many are getting huge grants for restoration and work always happens during the breeding season

Birdnuts churches are excellent for swifts but it's their downfall. Too many are getting huge grants for restoration and work always happens during the breeding season

The usual lip-service to conservation laws so!!:(

A good example of work affecting swifts is something that happened here over the weekend. A birder alerted me about scaffolding that was blocking a colony of 20+ swifts. Workmen had begun to replace the facia boards and guttering of two old buildings. Although the borough council has a biodiversity officer they didnt consult her. The scaffolding went up on or before last Friday and it's only coming down today. All chicks will now be dead

A good example of work affecting swifts is something that happened here over the weekend. A birder alerted me about scaffolding that was blocking a colony of 20+ swifts. Workmen had begun to replace the facia boards and guttering of two old buildings. Although the borough council has a biodiversity officer they didnt consult her. The scaffolding went up on or before last Friday and it's only coming down today. All chicks will now be dead

Thats appallling!! - the clowns responsible should be prosecuted and hopefully shammed in the local press!!:mad:

:(:(:(:(
    They will get seriously bad Karma for doing that......

another day and another swift in box 2 and one in box 4. The bird in box 4 to calling at the bird in box 2 and the screaming birds outside. Both birds are a bit nervous especially the one in box 4. This is probably the first time in 3 years that they have stopped flying. They are happy to enter a nest box but they dont know what is inside. It could be in use already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Are they not running a bit late?

yes but it is possible for them to have a go. I have in the past seen swifts feeding chicks in September

yes but it is possible for them to have a go. I have in the past seen swifts feeding chicks in September
    I'm guessing it would give first time breeders experience at rearing chicks and next year they will know where to find a nest/colony.

Still no activity at my nest box:(, but still blasting out my CD lure much to the annoyance of everybody:):). I think I was a bit late putting up nest box and more importantly getting my speaker set up properly.

• Advertisement

it's never too late to put up swift nest boxes

Advertisement