Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swifts need our help

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Mech1

A Swift just flew into my garage in Monkstown, Dublin, circled inside of the garage 4 times while chirping loudly and just as promptly left!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

That'll be a swallow looking for a nest site. I want them in my shed but they never look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'd put money on them being Swallows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Here's some video from when they arrived near me in 2015. No sign of them yet,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Mech1 wrote: »
    A Swift just flew into my garage in Monkstown, Dublin, circled inside of the garage 4 times while chirping loudly and just as promptly left!

As others said that was probably a swallow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

First Swifts of the season in Enniscorthy tonight - lots of them and already at nest sites. I also have a pair of wall nesting (!) Sand Martins - more of which soon.

Saw our Swifts back here in Swinford This morning. Was really chuffed, thinking I was the first to see them. One of our tidy towners heard ans seen them last night here!

Its amazing, the last 2 years they have arrived here, bang on the 4th or 5th of May :cool:

Project we're doing with the local green schools. Hopefully we get new residents this year, we have camera's set up in the nest box's too.

https://swinfordtidytowns.com/project/save-our-swifts-project/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I tried to persuade the local library here to go for a nestbox scheme a couple of years ago but they didn't seem interested. At least there's plenty of nest sites under the eaves of many houses throughout the town.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I tried to persuade the local library here to go for a nestbox scheme a couple of years ago but they didn't seem interested. At least there's plenty of nest sites under the eaves of many houses throughout the town.

The kids did a fundraiser to buy the nest box's for their school (with a little help from the tidy towns). That's where i first learned about swifts and their plight. I'm really amazed with them, as is everyone who learns more about them. I really hope some move into our nest box's this year so we can keep an eye on them through the cameras.

Advertisement