Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swifts need our help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

the fight continued for two and a half hours by which time I went to bed

6.30am and there is a dirty victor in the nest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Traonach, swift boxes, always at least 2, need to be 3m or more above the ground and have a clear way in and out ie no trees or shrubs or power lines.

My colony is an exception because of the sloping roof below. The gable colony is 2.5m up the wall and the under eave colony is 1.5m

Yes we have the design of the swift tower. The cost in N Ireland is under £2500 which includes making of it, cement base, delivery and putting it up. I can check delivery costs for you.
    Sorry Mark for delay in reply. That would be a bit too expensive for me unfortunately. However I'm after buying a triple cavity nest box (in the link) and a tape lure. Hopefully they will deliver next week.
    http://www.jacobijayne.co.uk/nest-boxes-by-species/swift/no-17-swift-box/
    Question:
    Would I be able to place the nest box on a wooden poll (4m tall)? Would the nest box cook in the sun?

Otherwise I will put it on the North facing side of my house. The nest box would be 3m above the ground. I plan to put it above my house martin nest boxes . Would I need to put a shelf over the nest box to protect against the sun?
    dscf2009d.jpg

Traonach

The north side should be OK. The triple box is a great box. There is no need for a sun shield but because the box is in the open I would paint it with something that will repel water.

Send me a private message and I'll put a CD in the post

You'll enjoy the swifts

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I have also noticed a steady decline in this species since the 80's:( - could it be the same reason House Martins too have declined??

PS: On the other hand Sand Martins appear to have increased substantial during the same period!!

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what's causing the decline in the house martin numbers.

Just outside Antrim a few pairs built in a bank a few years ago. This year I estimate the number to be 350 to 400 pairs

three of us dug a 13m bank after it collapsed in January

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I have also noticed a steady decline in this species since the 80's:( - could it be the same reason House Martins too have declined??

PS: On the other hand Sand Martins appear to have increased substantial during the same period!!

Apologies if this is veering off-topic from Swifts.

Sand Martin numbers seem to have dropped by over 20% in the past decade or so. That said, they are surprisingly difficult to keep a count on as they will be in a colony in a particualr area for many years and then over the space of 2 years, or less, will be gone. Only to re-appear elsewhere.

The decline is thought to be based on poor feeding on their migrations North and on the destruction of nests by people who don't like the dirt associated with having a House Martin's nest on their wall.
    There is no problem with suitable sites but out attitude to their nests has certainly changed over the years.

what's nicer? Happy house martins or this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

There's an Article on Swifts in the latest edition of BWI kids 'Bird Detectives' which is a supplament to the hard copy of Wings.

Nothing of great importance or extra interest but it's nice to see.

N Ireland Swift Group wrote it based on questions that were sent to us - or maybe that was for someone else

• Advertisement

Last edition of Wings (BWI) contains an article on Swift conservation. Haven't read it yet.

I hope they didnt edit what we told them

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Adrianno28

Swifts in kildare town too around kildare business park, and a few house martins flying around the curragh too, just to let u know!

maybe they are nesting in a building at the business park

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭nilhg

Saw my first swift of the season, just one, on its own over one of my wheat fields as I was out spraying on Thursday.

Possible I suppose it was one of the ones from Kildare.

It's not too late to put up a swift nest box or two. Anyone planning to do so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

It's not too late to put up a swift nest box or two. Anyone planning to do so?
    I finally got mine up:) I will post up a picture tomorrow (if time permits).

excellent!

here's a list of talks the N Ireland Swift group will be giving this month
    Tuesday 7th June - 7:30pm
    South West College, Burn Road, Cookstown

Thurs 9 June - 7.30pm
    Meet at the Crescent Arts Centre.
    Contact Belfast City Council. Tel 028 9032 0202 ext 6652.

Tuesday 14th June - 7:00pm
    Magherafelt Library, The Bridewell, 6 Church Street, Magherafelt.

Wednesday June 15th - 7.30pm
    swift talk at Roe Valley Hospital, Limavady.
    This is a very exciting site. Mark Smyth did a survey here and found 28 nests around the buildings

Thursday June 16th - time tbc
    Dixon Park, Larne.
    The park is at the junction of The Roddens and Edward Avenue.

Monday June 20th - time tbc
    Omagh library

Wednesday June 22nd - 7.30pm
    swift talk at Ballymoney Town Hall

Saturday June 25th - 3pm
    National Trust Springhill, Moneymore.

Wednesday June 29th - 7.30pm
    swift talk at Coleraine Leisure Centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

I've been looking frantically for a swift over the last few weeks to no avail. Is there any history of swifts in south Kilkenny? I'd love to see one.

• Advertisement

swifts should be present in every town and village. Check the older parts and stone buildings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

torrentum wrote: »
    I've been looking frantically for a swift over the last few weeks to no avail. Is there any history of swifts in south Kilkenny? I'd love to see one.

have seen swifts in thomastown. lots of them.

we, the N Ireland Swift Group, are looking for large colonies of swifts in one building. Does anyone know of one? Most are under threat by redevelopment and demolition

We have
    Roe Valley Hospital, Limavady, Co. L'derry 28+ pairs
    Methodist Church, Omagh, Co. Tyrone +-20 pairs
    Cresecent Arts Centre, Belfast 30+ pairs

Mark
    http://www.saveourswifts.co.uk

Spotted a healthy group at Leinster Mills on the Canal at Naas, Kildare yesterday. Haven't been to Derry lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

have seen swifts in thomastown. lots of them.

I actually saw my first swifts ever yesterday - lots of them screaming around High Street in Kilkenny City

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Mabel

Seems to be a small population in Malahide. Was drinking there last night and looking up in the beer garden could see a good few screaming overhead. Reminded me of Italy!

how about this for beginners luck! Only 8 days and a pair of swifts move in. The swifts were showing interest in a house martin nest box so I told him to take it down and get a swift box up.

If this doesnt enthuse someone to put up swift boxes I dont know what will

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

A successful nesting pair from last year returned a few weeks back to the garage. I think my cats are glad to have a try-over.

if they are in the garage they are swallows. Swifts nest in holes in walls/trees/cliffs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I saw two swifts high above trees at Stillorgan, Dublin near the reservoir yesterday afternoon.

Advertisement