Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swifts need our help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

E39MSport wrote: »
    I'll have to wait until next weekend

Thats OK. There will be more about.

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Last night I was lamenting that our martins hadn't returned. We thought the whole mini-colony hadn't made it which made me quite unhappy as I love them bombing around our garden and estate. As if by magic, there they all are today busy making nests on the half dozen or so houses. Just hope everything goes to the script as they have to completely rebuild the nest unlike last year when it stayed intact over winter.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Traonach wrote: »

I passed the catholic church in Hacketstown (Carlow) today. I often see swifts around the church but there was none today. I looked closely and they are after putting up two wooden falcon cut outs to scare the birds away. Disgraceful.
    photo0044h.jpg
    mad0054.gif
    The falcon-cut outs are not being put up this year. Had a talk with one of the priests. I counted loads of swifts flying around the church today:), while last year when the falcon-cut outs were there the swifts stayed away.

Well done!

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

MOD NOTE: Enjoy a break from the forum

• Advertisement

What is trolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Deliberately stirring it for a reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

At least 80++ Swifts over the ECNR, Newcastle, Co. Wicklow today, mixing with Swallows & Martins, brilliant sight, the sky was buzzing and so was the marsh with insects..

bestswift.jpg

img6418d.jpg

bestswift2.jpg

I'm up on the roof tomorrow to set things up.

Mark, if I go silent on here you're to blame (thank) :)

photos please!

Nice flight photos.

• Advertisement

I hope E39 is OK.

Here's a new web page I made to show the history of my nest boxes
    http://saveourswifts.co.uk/marksnestboxes.htm

Mark

It's up along with speaker.

Photos tomorrow.

Is it okay that I don't have a cup in the box?

yes it's OK but you will speed breeding by having one in the box.

Mark,

I just went outside and the side of the house that the speaker is facing has a fair number of Swifts flying about. I'd say about 10+. Max I have ever seen here is 2 together

Looks like the lure is having an effect. I don't want to waste their time so to speak though.

Are there any drawbacks to playing the lure?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

Any photos E39

What were the swifts doing? If they are buzzing the house get excited.

There is no downside from playing the lure. Breeders will not leave their nest sites to come to your nest boxes but non breeders will

Mark
    E39MSport wrote: »
    Mark,

I just went outside and the side of the house that the speaker is facing has a fair number of Swifts flying about. I'd say about 10+. Max I have ever seen here is 2 together

Looks like the lure is having an effect. I don't want to waste their time so to speak though.

Are there any drawbacks to playing the lure?

They weren't buzzing the house in the way that I've seen swallows do.

But they did come quite close. Great to see so many of them.

Fingers crossed.

pic: -

swiftSetup.jpg

speaker is in a placcy bag by the base of the chimney

edit: My chimney is getting quite busy !

Should be OK there. Only one box? Swifts may fight over it.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Why would you scare away the bangers? Don't the bangers need somewhere to roost as well. Won't they be the next batch to produce future generations?

Should be OK there. Only one box? Swifts may fight over it.

Mark

I'm open to more boxes but the rest of the house is too low. The chimney is the only place I can think of for swift box and that side is the sheltered side.
    First every chimney extension :)

Thats a good point actually. I could install a length of wood but the outer ones would be very exposed.

• Advertisement

Who is scaring bangers? Bangers/non breeders sleep while flying. Yes they will be the next generation that breeds
    Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Why would you scare away the bangers? Don't the bangers need somewhere to roost as well. Won't they be the next batch to produce future generations?

E39 i think I seen a design where the ones I made were stacked on top of each other. IF you moved your sat cable over a bit you'd probally get another 4/5 on the chimmney all depending how tall it is.

The other half wasnt mad about having the boxes on the front of the house so have got three down the side with the speaker wedge under the sofit & down pipe. Might be just as well as I have ordered a pair of nest cups to put up beside the alarm box at the front over to the right, where no one will be giving out about the mess. Will get them up before she comes home, wont even notice them, bamboosle her with tea and get the corrie on before she knows whats hit her ;)

Very well done. For the front of the house you could put faux brick panelling on the boxes

I better get your lure in the post

I've lost count now ... How many people in the south have got swift boxes up on your house or elsewhere?

Mark

Neighbours will definitley think Ive lost the plot, put the nest cups up at the front today. Cant get over how small the pair are when compared with swift boxes.

E39 front entrances would be better for your situation

^^ okay - ta.

I've switched off the CD this morning because the swallows in my porch were constantly alarmed. Since I turned it off they have calmed down.

Any comment on that?

Cheers,
    Ken

Shouldnt really affect swallows

They continued to be in a strange mood today. I was dived when I stuck my head out the window for some air. The male saw me a second time standing at the window and went for me again only to bump into the window.

They were spendng a lot of time chattering in the porch so maybe just jiggy time.

I'll let them calm down then play it again in a day or so.

Thanks Mark.

• Advertisement

The use of concaves comes up all the time. The reason to put one in is
    1. to give the swifts somewhere to nest
    2. a place to lay eggs.

It's well documented now that swifts will lay eggs and make the nest around the eggs like this ...

Advertisement