Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

What were the comments? Did they cross paths in TNA?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

this weeks episode of Retro Wrestle Chat is up , would love you guys to suggest a match for a future episode :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

this weeks episode of Retro Wrestle Chat is up , would love you guys to suggest a match for a future episode :)

WM3 would be a great one to do, oh and Tubs is a great guy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Im a sucker for the bad matches. Kennel from Hell match with BBM and Al Snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Prichard was harsh but fair in regards Magnus. He's a mark for himself and a big fish in a small pound that cant cut it in the big leagues.

He would want to be thankful to Prichard and the goat of wrestling podcasts, Conrad, for even mentioning him on something to wrestle with. Hes probably more over now as a result especially with the smarks.

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »
    Prichard was harsh but fair in regards Magnus. He's a mark for himself and a big fish in a small pound that cant cut it in the big leagues.

He would want to be thankful to Prichard and the goat of wrestling podcasts, Conrad, for even mentioning him on something to wrestle with. Hes probably more over now as a result especially with the smarks.

Has he had an opportunity with a big company to show he can cut it?

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Has he had an opportunity with a big company to show he can cut it?

Perhaps theres a good reason why he hasnt. An internet smark darling and that's the most he will acheive.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

ricero wrote: »
    He would want to be thankful to Prichard and the goat of wrestling podcasts, Conrad for even mentioning him on something to wrestle with.

Just wondering, can u expound on this man? I mean Conrad seems like a nice dude (from the pod and my dealings with him) and is a very successful businessman, but he literally reads Dave Meltzer's words verbatim. Surely Dave Meltzer himself would be higher!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I doubt it is even in the top 5 most listened to weekly wrestling pods that would hardly make him a goat at it.

I like Conrad and respect him for being one of the biggest Marks in wrestling and being able to become influential in someway within American wrestling.

It also helps the he is very wealthy and can spend his own money to get himself in that position.

Most of the ad space these days on his shows are for his own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Ehh lads JayHunter is the goat wrestling podcaster;)

*cheap pop*

I’d easily argue that Conrad is top of the pile re: people podcasting within the genre. DM is by far the most note worthy wrestling journalist but I haven’t listen to one second of any of his podcasts (does he have one?).

• Advertisement

lol thanks Shagnastii, i was thinking like Bryan Alvarez for personality or John Pollock for workrate; even the Lapsed Fan guys would be up for a shout in thorough, considered podcasting. obvs Conrad is extremely successful as a businessman and in the podcast world, but as podcaster he kinda just reads out the Observer and looks for a response, ya know? He doesn't really add his own spin or flavour on it (he gives his guest the floor). So nobody's looking for his take on things.

Dave is on Wrestling Observer Radio every week (and pops up elsewhere), like the dude invented the Star Rating!

The success of something to wrestle with was monumental and even crossed over by winning legit podcasting awards. The downloads and weekly listens are incredible for a wrestling podcast.

Conrad Thompsons podcasts were so successful and entertaining it even got Prichard and Bischoff rehired to the WWE. His current staple of 5 wrestling podcasts are very successful and credit to Conrad and his team for the hard work they do.

My favorite will always be something to wrestle with due to Bruces chrasima and the chemistry between himself and Conrad (although the standards has dipped since his return to the WWE).

Lately I have enjoyed Grilling JR which is a bit more serious and Jim Ross bitterness to not being with the WWE radiates through at times.

Not doubting his enormous success! Can ya tell me what you like about Conrad on podcasts? Like what he does on his shows better than anyone else? (eg he's very good at asking questions/teasing out more info etc)

Gosh I feel like I'm needling the guy, it's not my intention. It's like hearing Budweiser is the greatest beer of all time.

Perhaps its the simple format of his show that I like or the research he does around an event, wrestler or topic. I very much enjoy the chemistry he and Prichard have together and the banter.

Can't listen to Meltzer due to his boring Fr Stone voice but Conrads southern drawl keeps me hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Not doubting his enormous success! Can ya tell me what you like about Conrad on podcasts? Like what he does on his shows better than anyone else? (eg he's very good at asking questions/teasing out more info etc)

Gosh I feel like I'm needling the guy, it's not my intention. It's like hearing Budweiser is the greatest beer of all time.

It caught my initial attention as is was a peak behind the curtain for WWF from someone who worked there for 20 years.

Fascinating and funny. Conrad sometimes calls bull, and it's just a good format.

I'm more inclined into their deep dives on a specific character.

Other wrestling podcasts I can't listen to atall.

Originally I'd listen to Jericho or Austin, but I found them very samey and to nice. Austin I think is a woeful interviewer.

I wouldn't listen to fan made podcasts either.

I have to admit, I like the sound of Conrads voice. Dont think hes the greatest guy to enter the podcast world, but he is easy to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Really like Conrad and him and Bruce make a good pair but it’s definitely suffered some nice Bruce went back and topics have become overrun or less interesting

Never got into conrads other podcasts at all really tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Cornettes and the podcasts from the Voices of Wrestling network are the best around for me.

Cornette is just funny to listen to and his wrestling knowledge is second to none, some of his criticisms of AEW are ridiculously over the top though. Need to find a pod that gives an objective review of Dynamite, I miss Csonka on 411's pod, he had all the bases covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Chris Van Vliet on YouTube is quite good in terms of guests and he allows his guests to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Chris Van Vliet on YouTube is quite good in terms of guests and he allows his guests to speak.

He has Muhammad Hussan on his audio version this week and I've not listened to it yet but it'll be interesting to hear his Side of the whole WWE stuff. I've heard him do an interview of any great length before so this could be good.

• Advertisement

ok thanks guys! So an overall package - Nice voice/accent, easy to digest format; guests (Prichard / Eric) have good insight to the biz, deep dives/through research. Missing anything else on Conrad?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I've had to pack in PostWrestling. Wai Ting is fine but Pollock is just a total outrage merchant. Tiresome to listen to.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I've had to pack in PostWrestling. Wai Ting is fine but Pollock is just a total outrage merchant. Tiresome to listen to.

can you be more specific, what happened? (like what broke the camel's back)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

jaykhunter wrote: »
    can you be more specific, what happened? (like what broke the camel's back)

The disgust at tapings taking place during Covid, noticing how many weren't wearing masks (fair enough but almost every week? Come on...) acting like Flair is being forced to do angles.

Calling the Tozawa ninja stuff racist. Ridiculous.

This week then on the Kevin Owens/Excalibur n-word stuff. They were wrong and stupid to have said it but it was 17 years ago, for goodness sake. Owens would've been 18/19. Pollock's hand-wringing faux-concern over the whole thing is eye rolling.

When they're actually discussing wrestling they're good to listen to.

J. Marston wrote: »
    The disgust at tapings taking place during Covid, noticing how many weren't wearing masks (fair enough but almost every week? Come on...) acting like Flair is being forced to do angles.

Calling the Tozawa ninja stuff racist. Ridiculous.

This week then on the Kevin Owens/Excalibur n-word stuff. They were wrong and stupid to have said it but it was 17 years ago, for goodness sake. Owens would've been 18/19. Pollock's hand-wringing faux-concern over the whole thing is eye rolling.

When they're actually discussing wrestling they're good to listen to.

I don't remember him having the same issues with UFC running cards covid. I like wai but I still listen but at times it's the people who cried outrage with it. What I mean is it's right and proper to pull people on stuff people say and do with the intent is obvious. It's the implying motive to things I find unhelpful. If everything is offensive then when there's actual offense then it won't stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

It did get a bit annoying them going on about it, while at the same time doing the show every week. Surely if you think it's that bad stop reviewing the show and stop making money off it. It's calm down now, but honestly, the talk about ratings and demo's across all wrestling media is so boring.

I kinda stop listening to most of the wrestling podcasts as they all seem so negative at the minute. Maybe just a general negative vibe in wrestling with the CV-19, and the speaking out movement going on as-well.

EC3 on Talk is Jerichio. Had to turn it off after about 15 minutes. The guy is an absolute mark for himself. No wonder he couldn't cut it in the big leagues.

Im surprised, he always strikes me as someone more down to earth.

While I havent listened, could it be a case of him just being tongue in cheek?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

all wrestlers know that if they crap on wwe after being released gets there name out there in the news gets the fans who hate wwe and love anything bad said about them on their side too its why these kind of podcasts there doing with jericho is important

• Advertisement

I have to say that the Muhammad Hassan aka Marc Copani interview was excellent and it's great to hear the guy got his life together after what happened in WWE which wasn't his fault, it was just awful timing over the 7/7 London bombings. But he's in a good place and talked about shad gaspard and refreshingly he was able to admit that it wasn't all perfect.

Advertisement