Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just finished listening to Shane o Mac on austins podcast. He is very hard to dislike is shane.
    It's clear he loves the business and has paid some dues over the years. He's learned from the best in how this business works and while he isn't in an executive role now he's a valuable asset to WWE.

Him telling stories of him and mike cioda being part of the ring crew makes me realise that cioda has been in WWE for years.

Alexa bliss is on with Jericho. So far she is coming across very well. It seems the nicest people are the best at playing heels. I watched so of her moments on youtube last night and she is very good at her character and shutting down the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭Monokne

If you were looking forward to this weeks Something to Wrestle with on Austin's 2002 walkout, temper your expectations. Conrad just posted this on the Observer board:
    conrad27 wrote:

Skip the Austin Walks Out Show.

It's not good.

This is not reverse psychology marketing. Bruce is sick and has very low energy. Apparently he's deathly afraid of Steve Austin too. He refused to say anything critical of Steve or Vince. It is our worst show by far. Don't bother listening. Not a rib.

Enjoy the archives this week. Probably Russo next week but I hope it's Sherri Martel.

Shame because the topic has potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

17817420_1451085091602698_217050123673272320_n.jpg

Live taping of Talk is Jericho in Vicar Street on June 8th, tickets on sale Monday. Can't find details on prices yet.

Saw this last night.

Not impressed. Basically if you have read both his books you already knew all the stories and punch lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I enjoyed Vicar Street. My expectations were very low because "wrestler does public speaking tour" shows are usually bad. Jericho's stories were told well and it was fun, I just wish there was room for Q&A or something interactive.

It did however confirm once again that wrestling fans attending non-wrestling shows featuring wrestlers bring with them some of the worse people out there. Cut it out with the stupid heckles and chants, it's not a wrestling show and that **** just doesn't work. Jericho was getting very noticeably pissed off and the people are us were the exact same. We all paid to listen to Chris talk and tell stories, not to hear your stupid "what" chants and need for Jericho to hear your oh-so-witty comment.

It wasn't as bad as Foley's infamous show years back, but it was close to getting there. Thank God security kicked people out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Ah the infamous Foley show...... lucky someone didnt chant Fozzy are ****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I enjoyed Vicar Street. My expectations were very low because "wrestler does public speaking tour" shows are usually bad. Jericho's stories were told well and it was fun, I just wish there was room for Q&A or something interactive.

It did however confirm once again that wrestling fans attending non-wrestling shows featuring wrestlers bring with them some of the worse people out there. Cut it out with the stupid heckles and chants, it's not a wrestling show and that **** just doesn't work. Jericho was getting very noticeably pissed off and the people are us were the exact same. We all paid to listen to Chris talk and tell stories, not to hear your stupid "what" chants and need for Jericho to hear your oh-so-witty comment.

It wasn't as bad as Foley's infamous show years back, but it was close to getting there. Thank God security kicked people out.

Yep. Was up on the balcony, two ****ing eejits kept shouting out ****.

its so so embarrassing.

What happened at the Foley show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

I am not sure, but you should try the brand with Vince Russo or kayfabe commentaries both excellent podcasts/shoot videos

• Registered Users Posts: 37 busterp

Monokne wrote: »
    What happened at the Foley show?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056376327&page=3

Wasn't at it myself but found this earlier today.

I had a blast last night but as ever, the wrestling fanbase continues to be the worst of any I've been a part of. It's a shame when the bulk of the crowd is great but let down by a few tossers. It's put me off going to the OTT shows at times

• Advertisement

busterp wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056376327&page=3

Wasn't at it myself but found this earlier today.

I had a blast last night but as ever, the wrestling fanbase continues to be the worst of any I've been a part of. It's a shame when the bulk of the crowd is great but let down by a few tossers. It's put me off going to the OTT shows at times

I hated the OTT fanboys/wrestlers at the last Foley show (not the one above BTW).

I like OTT, no problem with the chanting **** at a wrestling show, but their attempts at putting themselves over grinds my gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

We had a guy locked off his head ruining it for everyone around us. He was eventually kicked out (that's when the chants against him started because everyone around him had had it up to here by that stage - it was over an hour of this) after being told about 50 times by myself and everyone around him to shut up, and you know how far you have to push Irish people before we speak up about this stuff! He straight up ruined one of the stories by throwing Jericho off.

It's not a wrestling show, as you said, the lads rely on reactions and beats in the crowd at certain specific times to make the show worthwhile, if people are yelling at random intervals it destroys the entire show. Jericho was great for rolling with the punches to be fair but it shouldn't be an issue. Nobody cares about people's chants or witticisms, we were there last night to hear one person and one person only speak. In spite of this, was a good night. I had to laugh at the entire room clearing out to the bathrooms as soon as he mentioned Fozzy too :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

leggo wrote: »
    We had a guy locked off his head ruining it for everyone around us. He was eventually kicked out (that's when the chants against him started because everyone around him had had it up to here by that stage - it was over an hour of this) after being told about 50 times by myself and everyone around him to shut up, and you know how far you have to push Irish people before we speak up about this stuff! He straight up ruined one of the stories by throwing Jericho off.

It's not a wrestling show, as you said, the lads rely on reactions and beats in the crowd at certain specific times to make the show worthwhile, if people are yelling at random intervals it destroys the entire show. Jericho was great for rolling with the punches to be fair but it shouldn't be an issue. Nobody cares about people's chants or witticisms, we were there last night to hear one person and one person only speak. In spite of this, was a good night. I had to laugh at the entire room clearing out to the bathrooms as soon as he mentioned Fozzy too :pac:.

Was that the guy towards the front that Jericho threatened to come out and knock out? What happened there?

Or was it the guy at the back that got the na na na na hey hey chants

D.Q wrote: »
    Was that the guy towards the front that Jericho threatened to come out and knock out? What happened there?

Or was it the guy at the back that got the na na na na hey hey chants

The guy who got the chants. That was just the culmination, a glorious culmination to an annoying night...

Listening to edge and Christians podcast this week(in the pissing rain btw) shows how much knowledge they both have about pro wrestling and ladder matches they worked. It's little thinks they point out but it's kind of light Bill moments about certain ladder matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Monokne wrote:
    If you were looking forward to this weeks Something to Wrestle with on Austin's 2002 walkout, temper your expectations. Conrad just posted this on the Observer board:

Shame because the topic has potential.

Just listening to the episode there, still thought it was interesting i thought Conrad was being a bit harsh on Bruce, i mean he was dodging questions but no more than he usually does.

Just listening to the episode there, still thought it was interesting i thought Conrad was being a bit harsh on Bruce, i mean he was dodging questions but no more than he usually does.

I thought he was trying to straddle the middle more than he usually would but not to the point the episode suffered greatly. To be honest, I didn't enjoy the episode greatly but it was not because of either party so much as the topic didn't lend itself to anything fun. The episode was very dry and functional. And the fact it involved Vince & Steve - two people Bruce is obviously fond of - both being in a bad place didn't help either.

I find the podcast can be great when it's the right subject, then just not worth the hassle at all other times. The Beyond The Mat, WrestleMania 15, WWECW and Eric Bischoff episodes were all worthwhile for me. Though I don't really like Conrad and Bruce that much either, so that could be it. Conrad seems a bit of an opportunistic shill since finding a niche in wrestling podcasting (I mean I don't begrudge people trying to make money but don't be so blatant about it) and Bruce seems a bit like an old, creepy vet. His insight because of his position is invaluable but I can't stand the forced 'banter' and laboured impressions. They'll often corpse with laughter and I'll be listening like "...that was funny?" But humour is subjective I guess and plenty out there like it, so that's just me.

Also, I'm sorry, but I find 3 hour podcasts obscenely indulgent. Learn to edit, especially if you're going to be so vocal about listenership, sponsorship etc, if you're cleaning up then it should be worth the effort to do so (or just paying an intern peanuts to do so). If the formula (and it's just one formula) starts to get tired, people won't hesitate to switch off when you're asking for so much of their time every episode, and that's how all this good stuff they're experiencing now can disappear overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Bruce and conrad are podcast gods.

Love their banter

ricero wrote: »
    Bruce and conrad are podcast gods.

Love their banter

Yeah I recognise it could totally be just me, but it just smacks of two ageing men telling fart and boob jokes and doing silly voices without any smarts or substance. That's not my bag, but humour is totally subjective! Sure look at how successful Mrs Brown's Boys is!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Yeah I recognise it could totally be just me, but it just smacks of two ageing men telling fart and boob jokes and doing silly voices without any smarts or substance. That's not my bag, but humour is totally subjective! Sure look at how successful Mrs Brown's Boys is!

Not just you. The show does nothing at all for me. Fair play to Conrad for making a career for himself in the biz considering his initial job was paying Flairs bar tabs. Pritchard for his part is just working everyone and "giving away" inside info without actually giving away anything at all unless it suits his own agenda. Also his f*ck Meltzer attitude is hilarious and obviously over compensating for the fact that he was Daves inside man for many many years

I find the podcast can be great when it's the right subject, then just not worth the hassle at all other times. The Beyond The Mat, WrestleMania 15, WWECW and Eric Bischoff episodes were all worthwhile for me. Though I don't really like Conrad and Bruce that much either, so that could be it. Conrad seems a bit of an opportunistic shill since finding a niche in wrestling podcasting (I mean I don't begrudge people trying to make money but don't be so blatant about it) and Bruce seems a bit like an old, creepy vet. His insight because of his position is invaluable but I can't stand the forced 'banter' and laboured impressions. They'll often corpse with laughter and I'll be listening like "...that was funny?" But humour is subjective I guess and plenty out there like it, so that's just me.

Also, I'm sorry, but I find 3 hour podcasts obscenely indulgent. Learn to edit, especially if you're going to be so vocal about listenership, sponsorship etc, if you're cleaning up then it should be worth the effort to do so (or just paying an intern peanuts to do so). If the formula (and it's just one formula) starts to get tired, people won't hesitate to switch off when you're asking for so much of their time every episode, and that's how all this good stuff they're experiencing now can disappear overnight.

On their twitter timelines, message board etc people tend to be disappointed at the sub 3 hour shows so I think this entirely misses the point. The fanbase that's into this show loves the deep dive into history and likes both hosts, so the longer shows are appealing. When you have a product that's doing the numbers there's is, intuitively you're better off keeping that core audience happy than worrying about catering to people who, as you mentioned, don't like either host, their humour, or their method of self promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I think people are better off watching Bruce Prichard RF shoot interview. He talks about most notable moments in WWF/WWE without any gags or jokes in the interview.

On their twitter timelines, message board etc people tend to be disappointed at the sub 3 hour shows so I think this entirely misses the point. The fanbase that's into this show loves the deep dive into history and likes both hosts, so the longer shows are appealing. When you have a product that's doing the numbers there's is, intuitively you're better off keeping that core audience happy than worrying about catering to people who, as you mentioned, don't like either host, their humour, or their method of self promotion.

Hey, defo, if they're still around and doing as well in 2-3 years then I'll be happy to admit I was wrong. But people who make a living this way tend to do REALLY well short-term then flame out fast, like look at how nobody cares what Raven and HTM have to say anymore because we've heard it a million times now. They were seen as essential when they first did shoot interviews. Now? Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

100% agree. Conrad seemed to be wound up from the start and seemed very harsh towards Bruce.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

They only made a very oblique reference to the domestic violence thing with Austin. That was the major omission imo. I enjoy the three hours and the detailed conversation. It's my favorite podcast.

Off topic slightly, but Austin's domestic assault charge is borderline erased from existence. NEVER gets discussed ANYWHERE.

Off topic slightly, but Austin's domestic assault charge is borderline erased from existence. NEVER gets discussed ANYWHERE.

Its one thing I really dont know exactly what happened, its never mentioned by anyone. He did get arrested and charged, but there was hardly the backlash that say, Hulk Hogan received for his racist remarks. Shocking really.

Debra's only public comments on it came in 2007 when the Benoit situation (how can that be a decade ago!?) made domestic abuse by wrestlers a hot topic. At the time she said:

"Steve attacked me three times in total. The last time Steve attacked me, alcohol was involved. He jumped on me. He's on my back with his knee in my back, pounding me in the back and in my face. I thought I was going to die. And when I called the cops, he ran out the door, yanked the phone lines out, unplugged the garage door openers, yanked the wires out so I couldn't leave."

He got a $1,000 fine and 80 hours of community service, plus was banned from drinking alcohol for a period.

It certainly sounds pretty bad.

• Advertisement

The part we love about wrestlers is a fantasy, we love the talent they have and the character they portray. As often as not, they're awful human beings and not worthy of being role models though. They're just normal guys: some of them really cool and sound, some of them horrible, a lot of them just normal and boring.

Advertisement