Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Liked the Shane podcast with edge and christian good to hear Shane on a podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

17817420_1451085091602698_217050123673272320_n.jpg

Live taping of Talk is Jericho in Vicar Street on June 8th, tickets on sale Monday. Can't find details on prices yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Listen in maaaann!
    Does that work?
    I dunno :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

Ha, he uses #ListenInMaaaan as the hashtag for the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I've never caught jericho on any show I have to get to this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

The Torch did a poll on the best wrestling podcast out there. As I've pointed out, Conrad Thompson & Bruce Prichard are #TopGuys

C9F7f2LUIAAOoik.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Awesome, you can stop talking about them now

Pardon me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Good for Bruce. Still personally think the show is unlistenable due to ads and Conrads constant eating and drinking but good for them.

A recent favourite of mine is Jim Smallmans Tuesday Night Jaw. For those unfamiliar, Jim is one of the owners of Progress Wrestling and the podcast is either a sit down with a current wrestler, a roundtable discussion involving some Progress talent and BritWres personalities based on a recent WWE or NJPW show or it can be a countdown show like top 10 Royal Rumbles etc. I recommend listening to TNJ meets William Regal, TNJ meets Trent Seven and TNJ meets Session Moth Martina. All different and fun in their own way.

https://www.acast.com/tuesdaynightjaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

LeeJM wrote: »
    Good for Bruce. Still personally think the show is unlistenable due to ads and Conrads constant eating and drinking but good for them.
    Since listening to a few episodes of STWW, I've became extremely aware of the sound of cans opening near the start of several podcasts I listen to.

• Advertisement

I pop whenever Conrad pops a top. I've never heard them eating though. That would turn me off. Flair was a killer for that. Eating Chinese food on one show, chewing tobacco on another. Eugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Monokne wrote: »
    The Torch did a poll on the best wrestling podcast out there. As I've pointed out, Conrad Thompson & Bruce Prichard are #TopGuys

Come on Maggle, you think 12 geeks on the internet means anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

considering its a poll of 105 people, its not much of an accomplishment. There listening numbers are impressive though

• Registered Users Posts: 60,413 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This weeks Something To Wrestle is on Owen Hart.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

Vince Russo giving it welly on this the Austin podcast this week. You can almost hear Austin thinking, "Why the f**k did I invite him on again?"

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The Edge and Christian podcast guests are the #Topguys dash and dawson aka the revivial. These guys if given the ball will be one of the greatest tag teams in wwe history.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

briany wrote: »
    Vince Russo giving it welly on this the Austin podcast this week.

Fat shaming Owens again???
    "How exactly is he a prizefighter?"
    Tbh it does my head in more when Austin is criticising wrestlers because their characters suck. I wish someone would tell him its not like it was for him 20 years ago & they have very little input on their on screen persona.

Vince Russo giving it welly on this the Austin podcast this week. You can almost hear Austin thinking, "Why the f**k did I invite him on again?"

yeah I'd say vince mcmahon is asking himself that as well. The fact that russo thinks he's a wrestling legend. He got lucky in having a two year period having vince mcmahon as a filter, and some of the greatest talent an era of wrestling ever had, and the hottest era of wrestling ever. A trained chimp couldn't fail in those situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

ERG89 wrote:
    Fat shaming Owens again??? "How exactly is he a prizefighter?" Tbh it does my head in more when Austin is criticising wrestlers because their characters suck. I wish someone would tell him its not like it was for him 20 years ago & they have very little input on their on screen persona.

To be fair that's what irks Austin about it, even when he was coming up in the company it's very easy to be just given a character and do the job, Austin only got where he was by adding things to his character by working within the system. Its why he always praises the likes of Y2J and the New Day, because they're put in roles and over time they add in little things here and there to get over with the crowd instead of just doing exactly what they're told and not injecting any of their own personality into it. If you work within the system you can have a lot of input into your personas, remember New Day had to beg management to be put together for a long time and when they finally put them together they gave them an act that was getting crapped on by the crowd. Over time they started trying new things and now they pretty much have free reign over their promos from what I understand.

I have no inside knowledge, but the New Day's stuff feels heavily scripted. Like that bit about the Oscars the other week, for example. Boy did that die.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    yeah I'd say vince mcmahon is asking himself that as well. The fact that russo thinks he's a wrestling legend. He got lucky in having a two year period having vince mcmahon as a filter, and some of the greatest talent an era of wrestling ever had, and the hottest era of wrestling ever. A trained chimp couldn't fail in those situation.

That's basically what Cornette has been saying, but wasn't he heading up creative until about mid-'97? I get what Cornette is saying in terms of 'right time, right place', but his comment kind of splashes back in him in that under his creative direction, the WWF had been tanking (with some very good talent on the roster and the ever-superb WWF production facilities), so what did that make him re: a trained monkey?

I think Russo is proof that anyone can flourish in the right circumstances, but I don't think having the right circumstances should totally nullify the value of achievement. Just something to be noted. Russo had not been, however, someone to do well in the face of adversity.

That's basically what Cornette has been saying, but wasn't he heading up creative until about mid-'97? I get what Cornette is saying in terms of 'right time, right place', but his comment kind of splashes back in him in that under his creative direction, the WWF had been tanking (with some very good talent on the roster and the ever-superb WWF production facilities), so what did that make him re: a trained monkey?

I think Russo is proof that anyone can flourish in the right circumstances, but I don't think having the right circumstances should totally nullify the value of achievement. Just something to be noted. Russo had not been, however, someone to do well in the face of adversity.

I don't think Jim cornette was in charge of creative ever in WWE. Did I read that right ? The business had been down in 1995 but was doing okay in 1997. You could see the start of it in 1997 of what become an edgier and more adult programme.

If Vince Russo was as good as he thinks he was, then why ishis run in WCW as the great creative genius **** on so much by wrestling fans ?
    He had no filter to filter out the utter garbage that came out of his head. Also in WWE Russo might have had ideas but Vince McMahon still had to green light them before they made tv.

Vince Russo is the worst thing to happen to pro wrestling ever. He was the worst booker ever. I mean Austin vs McMahon worked because Austin and Vince were very talented in the roles they were playing. Russo had **** all to do with the sucess of that angle. Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

It is amazing how you would hear about Vince Russo, but you never heard about Chris Kreski since he made Attitude Era a lot better during his tenure.

I don't think Jim cornette was in charge of creative ever in WWE. Did I read that right ? The business had been down in 1995 but was doing okay in 1997. You could see the start of it in 1997 of what become an edgier and more adult programme.

If Vince Russo was as good as he thinks he was, then why ishis run in WCW as the great creative genius **** on so much by wrestling fans ?
    He had no filter to filter out the utter garbage that came out of his head. Also in WWE Russo might have had ideas but Vince McMahon still had to green light them before they made tv.

Cornette was never *in charge* of booking - that's nearly always been Vince McMahon - but he seemingly held the same spot that was usurped by Russo, which was the guy directly under McMahon, writing TV. It also says on Cornette's Wiki that he was involved behind the scenes booking angles and scouting talent and that Russo took over the writing in early '97. Russo mentioned on his first RF shoot that when he first joined the TV writing staff, it was alongside Cornette and Prichard.

As I already said, in the right circumstances, anyone can flourish. Damien Sandow may have been fairly over with Mizdow and the whole impersonation gimmick, but he fell pretty flat as Aron Rex in TNA. Taz in ECW, under Paul Heyman, was the human suplex machine, and his career since then has been mostly about freewheeling off the reputation gained there. There's a time, a place and a niche for most anything, especially in wrestling.

It is amazing how you would hear about Vince Russo, but you never heard about Chris Kreski since he made Attitude Era a lot better during his tenure.

You don't hear much about Brian Gerwitz either. Neither tried to be wrestling personalities, so I supposed that has a lot to do with it. To be fair to Russo, I wouldn't say the story is that his ego got out of control on the back of his apparent AE success, because he'd already been a personality for the WWF not long after joining them. He wrote under the Vic Venom alias for their magazine, and appeared as same on their Saturday morning LiveWire programme back in '96 (and with pretty much the same OTT persona he employs today).

Listening to lita talking to Lilian Garcia about the time when her and edge and Matt hardy was going on is very hard. She took a load of ****e she didn't deserve in hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Review A Wai had Dylan Gott on the show to fill in for wai while his away.
    I seen Dylan a couple of times at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. He came across really well on the show and was fun listen. I'm going to give Dylan podcast, review a wrestler a go.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Listening to lita talking to Lilian Garcia about the time when her and edge and Matt hardy

What was she saying?

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Listening to lita talking to Lilian Garcia about the time when her and edge and Matt hardy

What was she saying?
    That it wasn't the greatest time of her career. And the roster both male and female(bar trish and Lilian) didn't exactly treat her great. And that her and Matt wouldn't have lasted outside of the wrestling business.

Advertisement