Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Actually I think it sounds like Mickey Mouse.

His Randy Savage is awesome though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think the reason why people might find bruce prichard's take on things interesting is because for several years he and pat patterson had a unique insight into the inner workings on what was then WWF. They were involved with the direction the company would take. That's a unique selling point of bruce prichard.

If you listen to Conrad's WWF &/or WCW nostalgia shows, Prichard & Conrad have launched their own messageboard for their show and for the network of shows they're building, currently just WHW Monday with Schiavone and STW with Prichard. Belief is that either a WCCW show with David Manning or an ECW show with Joey Styles are next.

http://whwradio.com/forum/index.php

Good people over there, if anyone would like to join. It doesn't officially launch until Friday with this weeks Something to Wrestle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Something to Wrestle with has some really good content but f*ucking hell the constant ad reads make the show pretty much unlistenable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

I can't stand Conrad's dumb voice and his inane questions. The Beyond the Mat episode was ruined by his pointlessly dull questions like "now I see the running order for matches are written on a blackboard, who writes them in?"

• Advertisement

If you use a podcast app like Beyond Pod or Downcast, you can hit a button and skip a minute or thirty seconds, however you set it up. Simples.

I can't stand Conrad's dumb voice and his inane questions. The Beyond the Mat episode was ruined by his pointlessly dull questions like "now I see the running order for matches are written on a blackboard, who writes them in?"

This is peak message board dialogue :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

The hyper-specific questioning is kinda what makes it for me. Sure, I may not care once it gets answered, but the purpose of the show is so you feel like you were there and have a thorough knowledge of the inner-runnings of WWE. And that kind of question could unlock a nugget of info that we end up loving.

His accent I'll give you. It took a lot of getting used to on the Ric Flair show, but once you do you realise how incredible the depth of his knowledge and research is. I also like how he calls Bruce out immediately if he tries to fob off the company line or holds back on a question, like pushing him on what Bruce thought about JR's bells palsy. I love listening to shows that feel like there's no safety net and someone could ruin their career with one wrong move any second, and I love how Bruce doesn't back away from it either.

There is some legit grievances though. The constant advertising is a bit much and the whole thing feels like a bit of a cynical money grab that could perhaps be toned down, but it's the trade off you have I guess given that that's essentially what it is: Bruce hawking his WWE experience shamelessly for profit. I don't mean that harshly, hey use whatever you have to pay the bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Conrad's accent and talking manner probably lets him probe a lot further with these old guys than a lot of people with a similar knowledge base would. I find it hard to imagine Prichard being as okay laughing at his own bull**** if he was being called out by a similarly aged guy (Conrads like 36?) from the northeast or, say, San Jose.

He seems to be a clever guy who has leveraged his way (primarily via buying Flair a ****ton of drinks initially, I suspect) into making some pretty solid contacts within the industry quite fast out of absolutely nowhere. Knows when to play up being a mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

I like Conrad and Bruce they have a good rapport. And some of the ad spots are genuinely funny. The last half hour of the latest episode on Roddy Piper is very sad.

• Advertisement

Full Marx wrote: »
    I like Conrad and Bruce they have a good rapport. And some of the ad spots are genuinely funny. The last half hour of the latest episode on Roddy Piper is very sad.

I'm just listening to it now and have an hour left. Is it as bad as the curt hennig mr perfect episode where Bruce breaks down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I'm just listening to it now and have an hour left. Is it as bad as the curt hennig mr perfect episode where Bruce breaks down ?

Yeah he cries.

I hate the way instead of covering a story or match they"ll tease "we'll get to that when we do X episode".

Jesus the end of the piper podcast really is hard to listen to. Jaysus.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I listened to STWW's TNA episode and thought it was kinda poor (relative to the awesome praise the podcast gets). What would be their best episodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I listened to STWW's TNA episode and thought it was kinda poor (relative to the awesome praise the podcast gets). What would be their best episodes?

The vader one is good

XFL is a good companion to the recent documentary.

WrestleMania 9 is a good example of what the podcast is like: "Bruce, this sucks, whose idea was this?" "I thought it was a good show, it was a good idea". Then Conrad goes off on one.

Bruce is a bullsh*tter eg. he goes along with WWE announced attendance figures.

oneilla wrote: »
    XFL is a good companion to the recent documentary.

WrestleMania 9 is a good example of what the podcast is like: "Bruce, this sucks, whose idea was this?" "I thought it was a good show, it was a good idea". Then Conrad goes off on one.

Bruce is a bullsh*tter eg. he goes along with WWE announced attendance figures.

There are instances of what you've said alright. But even the boss man angle at WM 15 he couldn't defend it.

He defends a lot but bear in mind he worked there for 22 years. He was involved in putting together much of what he's defending. Not always easy to be impartial when you're in the mire.

He does really **** on stuff sometimes. The nWo in the WWE episode in particular, he's just burying **** left and right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The sunny episode is funny and sad

• Registered Users Posts: 60,409 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Listening to the Pillman episode with Prichard and this came up during it that David Arquette donated every dollar he made from wrestling to the families of deceased wrestlers.

That is a pretty amazing gesture I must say.

• Advertisement

Listening to the Pillman episode with Prichard and this came up during it that David Arquette donated every dollar he made from wrestling to the families of deceased wrestlers.

That is a pretty amazing gesture I must say.

Bang on. Pretty sure this was revealed elsewhere earlier though.

Becky was on with Lilian garcia this week and once again Becky is a good interview. One or two things I didn't know about her(the more podcasts she does she reviels more) like she was actually born in Limerick, and what her shoot weight was. It's mentioned in relation to her boyfriends weight. She's 143lbs which is 10 stone. Also tears from Becky which has only happened once that I've seen.

I enjoyed that Becky show. Nice lass. So scatty though. Every interview like this you hear from her, she starts to tell a story, goes around the world twice, and somehow ends up back at her original point. JUST TELL ME A LINEAR STORY BEX! :)

Monokne wrote: »
    I enjoyed that Becky show. Nice lass. So scatty though. Every interview like this you hear from her, she starts to tell a story, goes around the world twice, and somehow ends up back at her original point. JUST TELL ME A LINEAR STORY BEX! :)

I wouldn't say scatty. Overly enthusiastic would be my term. Yeah during the latest one she went off on a story and said "what was the question ? "

Scatty means 'absent minded, disorganised' which is pretty close to what I meant. Her overenthusiasm, is endearing. It's just how she jumps from the end to the start to the middle of a story that's a cause of consternation. You could tell Lilian was lost as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Monokne wrote: »
    Scatty means 'absent minded, disorganised' which is pretty close to what I meant. Her overenthusiasm, is endearing. It's just how she jumps from the end to the start to the middle of a story that's a cause of consternation. You could tell Lilian was lost as well. :)

Ha, yeah, slightly irritating but endearing with it is a good way of describing her in interviews (and presumably that's her natural personality). Always comes across as a nice, decent girl as you say. You never hear anything bad about her from fans etc who meet her.

Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard passed 13 million total downloads this week. Almost one million this week alone. Nuts.

C7z2U57XgAEjYLY.jpg:large

Conrad has confirmed he and Bruce are meeting Bischoff this week in Orlando and they will be doing a show together, it's just a matter of when. Very excited for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Becky was on with Lilian garcia this week and once again Becky is a good interview. One or two things I didn't know about her(the more podcasts she does she reviels more) like she was actually born in Limerick, and what her shoot weight was. It's mentioned in relation to her boyfriends weight. She's 143lbs which is 10 stone. Also tears from Becky which has only happened once that I've seen.

Just listened to it I won't lie i felt a bit emotional myself when she started to cry Lilian is super nice too

I've listened to the new edge and Christian podcast and listened to their conversation with shane mcmahon and firstly the two lads are great together and tommy dreamer is possibly the nicest wrestler ever.

I'd recommend it and I see the new episode is with beth phoenix so I'll have to listen to that now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Quite like What Happened When with Tony Schiavone & Conrad Thompson, Raven Effect, and Killing the Town with Cyrus & Storm

Advertisement