Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

leggo wrote: »
    The part we love about wrestlers is a fantasy, we love the talent they have and the character they portray. As often as not, they're awful human beings and not worthy of being role models though. They're just normal guys: some of them really cool and sound, some of them horrible, a lot of them just normal and boring.

Poor Lance Storm, hes the first person I thought of

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Poor Lance Storm, hes the first person I thought of

Honestly hes who i thought of too.

Has anyone ever listened to his and the jackel/cyrus podcast?

I liked Lance Storm as a wrestler, but the guy is not who i want to listen to. He has no tact as a human being and is so narrow minded.

Apart from his on screen caharcter, I dont know much of Cyrus, so the show has never appealed to me

• Registered Users Posts: 60,500 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is Schiavone's podcast any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Is Schiavone's podcast any good?

Yes. Probably my favourite at the minute. He's a nicer fellow than Pritchard and is FAR more honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

I love Tony and the show, but find it difficult to gauge his honesty since he admittedly usually remembers or knows little comparative to Bruce. It's a different type of show, more comedy driven.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Yes. Probably my favourite at the minute. He's a nicer fellow than Pritchard and is FAR more honest.

You serious? No way! From interviews and such I got the impression he was a bit miserable fella in WCW. Any cool BTS stuff you've learned?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Are there any good podcasts discussing NJPW Dominion? I listened to Alvarez and Meltzer discuss it a bit, but they weren't​ great imo.

I always enjoy VOW for my NJPW talk, dont think their podcast has dropped yet though

jaykhunter wrote: »
    You serious? No way! From interviews and such I got the impression he was a bit miserable fella in WCW. Any cool BTS stuff you've learned?

I love both shows. However, it must be noted Tony is a sour f*ck. More so than Bruce.

Amazing Tony exchange on Twitter yesterday actually. JR tweeted saying he loves Tony's show. Tony thanks him and says he's following the trail JR blazed.

A fan then observes "well isn't this heart warming - imagine this 20 years ago". I guess Tony took it as sarcastic because he responded "Imagine twenty years ago a f*cking pr*ck like you didn't exist". The fan responded "JESUS CHRIST I WAS BEING SINCERE". Even Conrad was shocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Put into the wrestling translator: he doesn't like JR and/or is insecure that JR doesnt like him.

that's hilarious and more what I was expecting! I wouldn't know, Schiavone blocked me despite me never having tweeted him!

jaykhunter wrote: »
    that's hilarious and more what I was expecting! I wouldn't know, Schiavone blocked me despite me never having tweeted him!

He has several t-shirts that celebrate his twitter blocking sprees:

whathappenedwhen1012.png
    whathappenedwhen1011.png
    whathappenedwhen1014.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

I always enjoy VOW for my NJPW talk, dont think their podcast has dropped yet though
    That's because Meltzer, you know, erm, can't string a, like, really, a a a single sentence, yyyou know, like, together.

In response to Neil3030

Yeah, Tony does not take ANY sh1t. He's great. He rewatches whatever PPV his show is about and is brutally honest about himself. Not sure which one but he starts the podcast off saying that it was this exact time where I stopped caring and turned into a complete shill.

leggo wrote: »
    Put into the wrestling translator: he doesn't like JR and/or is insecure that JR doesnt like him.

Nah, that's not true at all from what he says on his podcast.

Yeah Tony & JR are good friends, spoke very shortly after Jan's death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Conrad Thompson has become way too big for his boots. Before he had this faux humility about him where he would not say anything bad about anyone in the biz because he is "just a fan. Like everyone listening. "
    Now he is mouthing off left and right. On Twitter at the moment he is being incredibly passive aggressive to Vince Russo, who, for all his faults, is a legitimate name in the business.
    And from what I hear, Conrad's god Dave Meltzer has even tired of Conrad and no longer supplies him with information about upcoming topics.
    Jim Ross has also talked (in a roundabout "gee everything is fine" kinda way) about Conrad moving in on JR's live show on the weekend or day of a WWE show concept. (Granted JR didn't invent it, but he has been the most successful).
    JR said that he is not going to do the live shows on the weekends of PPVs now as Conrad has diluted the market by staging shows at the same time with Bruce and Tony. Business is business of course, but you can tell from Conrad's tone that he now thinks of himself as being "in the business" whereas in reality he is just a fat money mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,500 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

You'd have feel a small bit sorry for Colt these days his podcast shill has been well and truly high jacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

sirmanga wrote:
    Conrad Thompson has become way too big for his boots. Before he had this faux humility about him where he would not say anything bad about anyone in the biz because he is "just a fan. Like everyone listening. " Now he is mouthing off left and right. On Twitter at the moment he is being incredibly passive aggressive to Vince Russo, who, for all his faults, is a legitimate name in the business. And from what I hear, Conrad's god Dave Meltzer has even tired of Conrad and no longer supplies him with information about upcoming topics. Jim Ross has also talked (in a roundabout "gee everything is fine" kinda way) about Conrad moving in on JR's live show on the weekend or day of a WWE show concept. (Granted JR didn't invent it, but he has been the most successful). JR said that he is not going to do the live shows on the weekends of PPVs now as Conrad has diluted the market by staging shows at the same time with Bruce and Tony. Business is business of course, but you can tell from Conrad's tone that he now thinks of himself as being "in the business" whereas in reality he is just a fat money mark.

While there is definitely an element of truth of in this, I kind of figure fair play to the guy to be honest. Its not like he's jumping on the bandwagon for a payday, this is just a profitable side gig for him, one he takes full advantage of.

Plus by this stage he definitely has met most people of note in the business through Flair, I figure fair ****s to him for being passive aggressive to people he's met. Id prefer he'd be honest about the people hes met in passing rather than meet people, thinks they're a dick and sing their praises on any podcast he's on while privately thinking they're a Cee U Next. Tuesday .

• Advertisement

he now thinks of himself as being "in the business" whereas in reality he is just a fat money mark.

This is proof that he's actually in the carny wrestling business!

Bemused by people criticising Conrad. Between merch, podcast revenue, and live gate, he's pioneered and ran with a concept that has been hugely successful, made money for himself, Bruce & Tony, and brought Tony & Bruce to a level of prominence they haven't had in a long time, to where both are getting more autograph gigs etc and Bruce is working for a (albeit terrible) worldwide wrestling promotion again.

All the while, he's providing a product that's free for the fans, and for the majority of those of us who've interacted with him on the Observer board or through twitter, it's been a pleasant experience. Multiple times I've suggested topics on polls or questions for the show, and they either go up, or he takes the time to explain why not. Guy's a good dude.

He's also charging 130 Euro VIP, for a POD-CAST in Dublin. Which is beyond my capacity of understanding.

He's also charging 130 Euro VIP, for a POD-CAST in Dublin. Which is beyond my capacity of understanding.

Thats crazy, what does VIP get you exactly? Sit on his lap during the show?

Thats crazy, what does VIP get you exactly? Sit on his lap during the show?

You get to hang out out with the guys (for 20 minutes).

Normal admission is 30 Euro, which is still insane. Twice the price of OTT Bullet Club show.

He isn't involved with the international shows, he won't be there. From hearing what Bruce said, a third party promoter basically hired him to do the shows over here, similar to a paid show in pro wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

sky88 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever listened to his and the jackel/cyrus podcast?

Ya I have listened to a lot of their shows but switched off for a while because of their constant bashing of Disco Inferno on nearly every episode, Disco for all his failings was a bigger star than Cyrus and although he was not a better wrestler than Storm by any stretch he had charisma and was a memorable character from wrestling

The Something to Wrestle with show on Vince Russo is good. Unsurprisingly, Russo was apparently (allegedly) full of ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Monokne wrote: »
    The Something to Wrestle with show on Vince Russo is good. Unsurprisingly, Russo was apparently (allegedly) full of ****.

Listened to the first hour will finish the rest later. He talked some ****e did russo. Funny hearing bruce correcting him again and again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Monokne wrote: »

Yep.

But at the same time I think Bruce was very fair to Russo and gave credit when it was due.

One of the better episodes.

Advertisement