Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do you think Jesus was

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

Wicknight wrote: »
    Look into your heart, you know the answer ... ;)
    Ah heart!, we aren't informed and aware about the truth of the heart's condition--

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

dead one wrote: »
    "Madam"! would you kindly listen to "madman"?

I'm glad you're finally acknowledging being a madman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Ah heart!, we aren't informed and aware about the truth of the heart's condition--

your not? dude, see a doctor

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm glad you're finally acknowledging being a madman
    Yes i am madman in the village of atheists who are incapable of understanding the significance of madman's word because they have failed to experience words of madman, failed to understand the meaning of madman's word

your not? dude, see a doctor
    Alas! i am cure less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Alas! i am cure less.

Youre cure less! thats a very serious ill ness!

Youre cure less! thats a very serious ill ness!
    what is cure for it,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭smokingman

what is cure for it,

Common sense?

smokingman wrote: »
    Common sense?
    Common sense is the collection of prejudices

• Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Common sense is the collection of prejudices

So you've no problem sticking your hand in the fire?
    You don't look both ways when crossing the road?
    you don't use an umbrella or hooded jacket when it rains?
    The shortest distance between two points isn't a straight line?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement

koth wrote: »
    So you've no problem sticking your hand in the fire?
    You don't look both ways when crossing the road?
    you don't use an umbrella or hooded jacket when it rains?
    That's isn't common sense,
    “Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom.”
    and
    It requires wisdom to understand wisdom.

That's isn't common sense,
    “Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom.”
    and
    It requires wisdom to understand wisdom.

Actually it is common sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

No it's a geodesic :pac::pac::pac:

bluewolf wrote: »
    No it's a geodesic :pac::pac::pac:

fecking nerd!!!! :P:D

Actually it is common sense.
    No, it's no common sense
    fecking nerd!!!! tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

No, it's no common sense

sorry but still wrong. Using the hand in fire as an example, people don't stick their hand in the fire because it is generally accepted that it's going to hurt.

Thats what common sense is.

Now if you still disagree, you best back up what you're saying by giving an example of what you interpret common sense to mean.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Thats what common sense is.
    I think dead-one is looking to expand the meaning of "common sense" so that he can include his own favorite religious stories too without them looking like common nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Donatello

Spinning this off from another thread. The original post from me was

It may be absurd to a Christian, but to me it seems a rather reasonable explanation or narrative for Jesus without the need to invoke any supernatural explanation.

Jesus was a cult leader who manipulated people into worshipping him, following him and providing for him through claims to supernatural ability. Like the thousands of cult leaders before and after him.

He eventually ran a foul of the authorities of the day and ended up being executed.

Unable to deal with the reality that their all powerful cult leader was executed a story that he had rising from the dead developed.

Seems pretty reasonable to me, with some Biblical support (baring in mind that the Bible is an account filtered through Christians so critical information is not likely to be found in it).

Was just wondering what others think of how Jesus actually was, if you think he was actually someone at all.
    Why would his early followers have allowed themselves to be put to death for a myth? They knew Jesus, walked with Him, ate with Him after His resurrection, and then allowed themselves to be martyred. The success of this early Christian movement shows that something very powerful happened.

I don't know about any other Christians, but if Jesus did not rise from the dead, then, as St. Paul said, this is one big waste of time, our faith is in vain and we are the most pitiable of men.

His early followers - those who knew Him personally - went to the death of martyrdom for what they believed.

Donatello wrote: »
    Why would his early followers have allowed themselves to be put to death for a myth?

I sincerely doubt that if I join the monks who burn themselves in the name of buddhism, or that if one of our resident atheists kills themselves in the name of atheism, that you would take this as evidence of truth and convert.

People kill themselves for all manner of reasons all the time, and it is ridiculous to suggest that a bunch of people who we don't know, whose characters we cannot verify, gave any truth to the story by dying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

They knew Jesus, walked with Him, ate with Him after His resurrection, and then allowed themselves to be martyred. The success of this early Christian movement shows that something very powerful happened.

Whose to say all of that actually happened though? They could have very easily walked with him, loved him and died spreading his doctrine. All the magic parts of that story are unnecessary.

It does, however, make a huge amount of sense that people would add and embelish events to stoke the legend later.
    His early followers - those who knew Him personally - went to the death of martyrdom for what they believed.

People allow themselves to be martryed for the most absurd and trivial reasons. Look at Japan during WW2, or current day Islamic extremism. Hell, back in 2008 a man cut off his own head with a chainsaw becuase he was so strongly opposed to an eviction order.

• Advertisement

Why would his early followers have allowed themselves to be put to death for a myth?
    Probably the same reason that the folks whom I spoke with in North Korea said they'd be happy to die for the cause of DPRK communism.

Are you saying that people wanting to die for some idea is sure proof that the idea is true? Or does it suggest that the people are nuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Asked and answered and answered again and again.

They knew Jesus, walked with Him, ate with Him after His resurrection, and then allowed themselves to be martyred. The success of this early Christian movement shows that something very powerful happened.

Based on?
    I don't know about any other Christians, but if Jesus did not rise from the dead, then, as St. Paul said, this is one big waste of time, our faith is in vain and we are the most pitiable of men.

Now you're getting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Same reason any cult members allow themselves to be put to death for a myth. Look at something like Jonestown.

Why would early Christianity be any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    +1

One really can't help but think that a lot of the basis of Christianity is just naive people believing naive stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Same reason any cult members allow themselves to be put to death for a myth. Look at something like Jonestown.

Why would early Christianity be any different?

This has been explained to you serveral times WN. The difference is that the apostles would have been dying for WHAT THEY KNEW TO BE A LIE. A suicide bomber, a cult member, a kamikaze pilot etc, die for a belief. The apostles would have known that their stories were lies, so would have gone to their death for something they knew was a steaming pile. That, is highly unlikely. So from that perspective, the evidence would suggest that they certainly believed they saw the risen Christ, as well as all the signs they both seen and performed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

JimiTime wrote: »
    This has been explained to you serveral times WN. The difference is that the apostles would have been dying for WHAT THEY KNEW TO BE A LIE. A suicide bomber, a cult member, a kamikaze pilot etc, die for a belief. The apostles would have known that their stories were lies, so would have gone to their death for something they knew was a steaming pile. That, is highly unlikely. So from that perspective, the evidence would suggest that they certainly believed they saw the risen Christ, as well as all the signs they both seen and performed.

This assumes that the apostles wrote the gospels as they currently are now. Oldrnwisr is showing this not to be the case.

Secondly, and this too has been explained to you before, the apostles could absolutely have been making it all up, then be caught and kill only to have the story of that, altered and embellished after the fact to make it appear like they were brave pious martyrs.

Also it's possible that they were lying about all the magic stuff to help spread a moral message they felt strongly in.

Or they could have just been duped by a cult leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

For my own education, what is the view on the possibility that Jesus did NOT die on the cross? That he somehow survived and recovered after three days?

A suicide bomber, a cult member, a kamikaze pilot etc, die for a belief.
    And -- assuming for the moment that the gospel accounts are accurate -- the apostles would have died in the belief that they were going to go to heaven after they died.

It's all just people getting themselves killed in the service of beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

b318isp wrote: »
    For my own education, what is the view on the possibility that Jesus did NOT die on the cross? That he somehow survived and recovered after three days?

I don't really know anything about this premise. I can't see such a thing being posited outside of the realm of naturalism I.E. Positing that Jesus could NOT have done what is apportioned to him, so it must have been........etc. I'm not aware of any evidence suggesting that this occurred.
    robindch wrote: »
    And -- assuming for the moment that the gospel accounts are accurate -- the apostles would have died in the belief that they were going to go to heaven after they died.

It's all just people getting themselves killed in the service of beliefs.

No, the apostles would have been getting killed for something they DIDN'T actually believe, as they would have known it to be a lie which they themselves were making up. As i said, THATS the key difference. People die, for things they believe in, be they actually true or not. That is not in dispute. People, would not really be known for dying for things they KNOW is a lie.

• Advertisement

No, the apostles would have been getting killed for something they DIDN'T actually believe, as they would have known it to be a lie which they themselves were making up.
    I'm talking about the apostles believing that they were going to heaven.

Are you saying that they didn't believe they were going there?

Advertisement