Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do you think Jesus was

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

who are all those guys drinking yard glasses? hardcore!

The White Party popped into my mind when I saw that pic. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

krudler wrote: »
    Just because your ancient manuscript says so doesnt make it true.

Yes it does
    Book of hearsay 26:31

'Then the lord did say unto Israel "Its Yahweh or the highway!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

The most misquoted man in history probably. Simple guy who preaching getting on with each other, fine , I can buy that, he was basically a biblical John Lennon. The magic tricks and zombie stuff was added in later to spice up the tale. The Life Of Brian got the biblical hysteria and hero worship angle brilliantly. Religion is basically the worlds biggest game of chinese whispers, blessed are the cheesemakers indeed.

So what will the perceived legacy of John Lennon be in 2,000 years ...

... :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

Maybe he is the son fourth cousin thrice removed relation of god?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

That if he was still alive today he'd be more annoying than Bono?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

As promised. I'm going to deal with the posts inbetween my last contribution to the argument and my promise that I would respond to these posts today.
    King Mob wrote: »
    Well long story short, L. Ron Hubbard lied about his elements of his personal history and military service.

OK and your point is? L. Ron Hubbard's personal history and military service details were about as verifiable as the claim that Paul makes concerning eyewitnesses. People could if they had the desire of interest to check up on his military history or his personal history.
    But first off it's not a verifiable claim. Even if he supplied a list of every single one of those 500 people (which he didn't) there's little chance of even finding those people. And even if they went and checked and didn't find anyone then there's the excuse "They're in hiding" or something similar.

First and foremost and other posters have made this mistake, just because Paul does not list all 500 names does not mean that he doesn't know who they are. Indeed, he says that there were 500 witnesses some have died but many are still alive. The point of 1 Corinthians isn't intended to be a historical account, but as a letter of pastoral advice to the church in Corinth. Paul visited the church in Corinth after he set it up it is entirely possible that when he was there that they could ask him. Indeed, it is entirely possible that they could have gone to Jerusalem to investigate this for themselves much as Luke had in writing his Gospel.
    And that's assuming that they'd check. But as the scientology example shows people will believe a claim regardless of whether it's verifiable or even falsified.
    People today are calling L. Ron out as a liar, yet people still believe him.
    So why would it be any different in Paul's time?
    And do you actually think that it was exactly 500 people?

Some people will, but it still begs scrutiny. Think about it this way how do we know that L. Ron Hubbard was lying? It is usually after people investigating. People in the early church could have done this.

As for whether or not the number was 500. I don't believe it was exactly 500 because Paul himself writes that it was more than 500:
    After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep.
    It's entirely possible that there are some true stories about a preacher or group of preachers. But the magic ones would need a bit more back up before they can be taken any more seriously or accurately than Aesop's fables. These stories could be embellished, exaggerated, mistold or even out and out made up.

If they were out and out made up in this case I can't honestly see a whole lot of benefit in them doing this on a personal level. If I wanted to write the worlds best lie I wouldn't include things that were written in the New Testament given the cultural context, and I wouldn't go out of my way to invite scrutiny, indeed I wouldn't risk my life for it. I can't see the logic here.
    And we can point to hundreds of examples of people being self deluded.
    But it's also possible that they were deliberately lying then were simply caught and punished, leaving the spin up to the rest.
    Given that the only records of the martyrdom of some of the apostles is the bible, the facts could be easily embellished, distorted and fabricated.

I'm with you for part of the argument. That is the chance that they could be self-deluded. I'm including this possibility in the argument so far. What we have to establish is whether or not the Apostles would die for what they clearly knew was a lie. Suicide cults are inadequate because the Apostles clearly had no interest of committing suicide and the Christian message precludes this possibility. This is why I've said that comparisons with suicide cults are poor and inadequate because they don't consider the context of the situation.

The incentive for people such as L. Ron Hubbard to lie is clear. The incentive for the Apostles to lie and risk their lives in doing so is slim at best. Why would you voluntarily choose to go out to the world, risk your life and live in poverty?
    For example when L. Ron died, he didn't just die cause that wouldn't be possible with his scientology powers. He in fact left this plane of existence to conduct research, promising to someday return.

I'm not doubting that L. Ron Hubbard did do this for a second. The difference between L. Ron Hubbard and the first Christian evangelists is simply huge. Indeed, the difference between hhttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=71810913ow Christianity operates and how Scientology operates is also huge. The Gospel is entirely free. Scientology isn't.
    oldrnwisr wrote: »
    Biblical scholars and historians don't agree with you there, Jakkass.

Which Biblical scholars and historians? I think that is an important question to ask. robindch later on in this thread has brought up the idea that many of the manuscripts were around at the tenth century. He ignores that the vast majority of these manuscripts roughly 24,000 of them are from the early Christian period.

We also have fragments from before the Codex Vaticanus or the Codex Sinaticus which are the earliest full manuscripts. So we can in part determine some texts earlier. We can date Matthew based on fragments we actually have to 50AD.
    The Gospel of John is stated to be written by "the disciple which Jesus loved the most." However, the majority of biblical scholars have agreed that neither John nor any other eyewitness wrote it and that it was instead pieced together from a base of second-hand eyewitness accounts, added to from other sources and finally edited in about 90CE. Raymond Brown, a Catholic priest and scholar outlined this originally in 1979 in "The Community of the Beloved Disciple" and in several other works since.

This ignores writings from contemporaries of John such as Polycarp who was said to have witnessed John writing his Gospel. When we speak of "majorities" we need to show how we are determining this.
    The Gospel of Luke is usually credited to Luke who was a companion of Paul. However the consensus is that the author is unknown. It is agreed among scholars that the Gospel of Luke was written no earlier than 60CE and is a later work than the Gospel of Mark which it uses as a source. Also since it was written in common Greek, most scholars have concluded that it is not an eyewitness account.

Work it backwards. Paul makes clear mention of Luke's presence with him in his letter to the Colossians and to Timothy. We can see that Luke in Acts also confirms a large proportion of the journey that Paul had been on. We can determine that it is probable that this is actually a reliable account of the new Christian communities. Then what we have to do is to read both Luke and Acts. What similarities do we find? Do these make it more plausible both that Luke and Acts have the same author and indeed is Luke's writing in Acts convincing enough to place him as a contemporary of Paul in his churches.
    The Gospel of Mark is again concluded to be anonymous and is not referred to as the Gospel of Mark before the 2nd Century. The scholarly consensus is that it was written around 60CE, possibly in Syria.

The Gospel of Matthew is again not linked to Matthew before the 2nd century. It is likely to have been written around 90CE and again in Greek.

I think we don't know in respect to these two. You are wrong in respect to the dating of Matthew, we have fragments from 50AD.
    First of all there isn't much of an argument there. There is no physical evidence only documentary evidence. The only references to the resurrection are the Gospels and Corinthians. The Gospels have already been established as not likely to have been eyewitness accounts. The only account which could plausibly be asserted as an eyewitness account is 1 Corinthians 15. However, there is a problem in basing the veracity of the resurrection on a single eyewitness account. (Just because Paul asserts there are 500 witnesses doesn't mean that there were). This problem is that mainline Christians are perfectly happy to accept the testimony of Paul as reliable and yet dismiss the documented eyewitness testimonies from Joseph Smith that are presented in the Book of Mormon.

This isn't true. Peter's Epistles and John's Epistles also very clearly refer to the Resurrection. Indeed one of my favourite passages from 1 Peter in part is this:
    Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead
    The whole Gospel in the early church is hinged fundamentally on the Resurrection of Jesus from the dead and there is an abundance of textual evidence to say that this is the case.

There is an abundance of indicatory evidence too, if we just look to the history of the early church it becomes an absurdity without a Resurrection event.

I also agree that just because Paul mentions that there are 500 witnesses doesn't mean that there were. Why the heck would you invite such scrutiny if you knew it to be false though? Why write it? If you wanted to keep skepticism at bay you wouldn't. The simple answer is that Christianity seems to be a faith that encourages people to investigate its truth for themselves rather than blindly trusting in human authorities. To me as a Christian to know this is refreshing.
    Secondly, as to why someone would concoct such a story, are you kidding? The resurrection is for the most part the lynchpin of the Christian faith. The veracity of the resurrection is what elevates Christianity to mystical levels. If Jesus didn't rise from the dead then he was just another guy who preached a religion and performed some dubious magic tricks. Without the resurrection, Jesus is just another cult leader.

What benefit is there to the Apostles in concocting such a story? King Mob mentioned the Vatican in a facetious manner, but in all seriousness one couldn't argue that Paul or the other Apostles benefited from this financially. So why else would you do it?
    Wicknight wrote: »
    We most certainly do not know that. The only argument for such an unsupported argument is theological (God made sure of it)

We have absolutely nothing to suggest that the Bible is corrupted, and we have good reason to believe that it hasn't been. If you wish to present a good argument to demonstrate that it is, please be my guest. Indeed, I've seen nothing on this forum or on the Islam forum that would convince me of this.
    The rest of us have no idea if the books were actually written by eye witnesses or not. There is no historical support for that claim at all. The only supported historical theories are that they weren't written by eye-witnesses of Jesus, as Oldrnwisr points out.

We are not sure about all of them. We can be confident in respect to Luke and John from looking to church history and from simply looking logically as I've explained to him above.
    To which you have no historical evidence for.

We have fragment evidence which confirms this in part. What confirms it the most is perhaps that there is no evidence to show that the Bible has been seriously corrupted.
    Which is why Jim Jones is still alive. Oh wait. :rolleyes:

No comparison, I've explained this in this post, and also to liamw.
    strobe wrote: »
    This one is a linchpin of Jakkass' faith I often get the feeling. He is certainly fond of bringing it up as some sort of (what I believe he sees as a), if not a check mate move then certainly a check one, in regards to the truth of Christianity.

It is an argument which shows deficiencies in argument. krudler made the absurd claim that miracles were hacked into the New Testament when there is simply no evidence to back this up, and even a lot of evidence to demonstrate that this is far from likely.

I don't take hard punches unless there is a good case to be made. In this case the argument of Biblical corruption is woeful in comparison to the Christian case that the Bible is largely as it was in the first century.
    I see you have conceded that they may have believed it was true but been wrong, which is a start I guess. So we have one other option there.

It would be intellectually dishonest to close this option.
    Another is that they knew it was not true but you are over estimating the risk. Maybe these lads they were telling stories to weren't as quick to stab holes into people as you presume they were.

Take an honest look at the Roman world and you'll start to see that there is a clear risk or indeed Roman and Jewish attitudes towards the early Christian church.
    Also maybe they believed in the message. Christians often argue that the Christian way of life is good for people and for society and for mankind irrespective of the supernatural components. You yourself often (try to) use non-supernatural arguments for marriage being between a man and a woman, for no sex before marriage, against abortion etc. I'm sure there are other examples. Maybe they were willing to risk (because it was only a risk of course, it wasn't certain they would die we will obviously agree) their lives for a 'good lie'.

How can you believe that something is true if you simultaneously know it is a lie? You and I both know that it s a poor position to take surely?

As for my non-supernatural arguments about marriage, sex-before-marriage, abortion and so on. I don't see what the point of using Biblical justifications in arguments with non-believers is. If I am talking to Christians about what I think about certain things I will point them to the Bible. In fact I believe pointing Christians to the Bible is better than using secular argument. The second Christians use the Bible they involve God in the argument. Christianity is about glorifying God in everything we do. I also believe very strongly in presenting people with a mature and considered faith. They also in turn help me to be a better Christian. As for non-believers, admittedly they help me to argue better. I thank God for that.

When I use non-supernatural arguments I still nonetheless believe that there is a God, and that He is abundantly at work in life. Its not that the second I don't invoke God in an argument that I no longer believe or trust in Him. You know me to well to argue that in earnest.

I have another two or three of these but what do you reckon to the above? Possible?

I think the good lie argument is an absurdity, and it only takes a look at historical reality to suggest that it wasn't dangerous to be a Christian in the first century.

He doesn't claim to be able to ID these 500. So the whole 'the lads could have sent some chap from Greece to Israel to run around the place in the hope of running into some of the 500 that were still alive' thing, is a little weak, man.

Awful argument. As I've already mentioned 1 Corinthians is written as a pastoral letter not as an extensive list. Paul regularly visited Corinth and they had a clear path of communication to him. They also had the possibility to get in touch with the church in Jerusalem to confirm that this was true. Why invite the scrutiny rather than saying nothing if it was false?
    Even if they asked him for names and he told them, "just ask Anto of Arimathea, Johnners cousin" it's not exactly the opportunity for certain confirmation you seem to be suggesting.

Of course it is.
    I slept with Jessica Alba and Avril Lavigne in the middle of a field in New Mexico last year. There were about 200 people that seen it. Go ask them if you don't believe me.

Admittedly strobe I'm not remotely interested in even investigating that. If some of the 500 people were clearly known to be contemporaries of Jesus rather than just randomers then it is worth looking into IMO.

I'll probably be back to this thread at this time tomorrow, and will deal with a few posts much in the manner that I've done here.

Jackass, I admire your patience and courtesy in answering such cross examination on the A&A forum. It's interesting to see the banter go back and forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

@Jakkass; tl;dr - your argument is therefore flawed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Jakkass wrote: »
    How can you believe that something is true if you simultaneously know it is a lie? You and I both know that it s a poor position to take surely?

You misunderstand. I am saying you could believe in what Jesus taught about helping Samaritans, turning the other cheek, seeing the pharisees and their ilk for what they are etc etc etc etc, and not believe he was the son of god. You could want people to live by the teachings of Jesus and believe the best way to convince people to do this is to convince them he was God incarnate. That's the 'good lie'.

The rest of your response is based on this misunderstanding so no point in replying yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

I reckon he may have been a spiritual practitioner, similar to Siddartha Gautama, and others like them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

As promised. I'm going to deal with the posts inbetween my last contribution to the argument and my promise that I would respond to these posts today.
    Well I certainly hope you have all your philosophy essays done young man.
    OK and your point is? L. Ron Hubbard's personal history and military service details were about as verifiable as the claim that Paul makes concerning eyewitnesses. People could if they had the desire of interest to check up on his military history or his personal history.

First and foremost and other posters have made this mistake, just because Paul does not list all 500 names does not mean that he doesn't know who they are. Indeed, he says that there were 500 witnesses some have died but many are still alive. The point of 1 Corinthians isn't intended to be a historical account, but as a letter of pastoral advice to the church in Corinth. Paul visited the church in Corinth after he set it up it is entirely possible that when he was there that they could ask him. Indeed, it is entirely possible that they could have gone to Jerusalem to investigate this for themselves much as Luke had in writing his Gospel.

Some people will, but it still begs scrutiny. Think about it this way how do we know that L. Ron Hubbard was lying? It is usually after people investigating. People in the early church could have done this.
    The thing is people have gone out to verify it and found he was lying and told everyone this.
    Had this any effect on his followers? Not a jot.
    Was the fact that the lies were called out recorded in any of the church's writings? Nope.

So even if Paul had a list of names and made it available in full and then someone went out to find that is wasn't true, would this have been recorded in the gospel?
    Is the converse recorded, where someone actually verified the names?

And since the only honest answer is no to these questions then Paul simply saying there was 500 witnesses isn't conclusive evidence of anything and lends absolutely no credence to the story.
    If they were out and out made up in this case I can't honestly see a whole lot of benefit in them doing this on a personal level. If I wanted to write the worlds best lie I wouldn't include things that were written in the New Testament given the cultural context, and I wouldn't go out of my way to invite scrutiny, indeed I wouldn't risk my life for it. I can't see the logic here.
    Well one the only thing to suggest they "invited scrutiny" was that they said so in the book.
    Magician's often invite people up onto stage to scrutinise their props, yet still do magic.
    As for risking their lifes there's plenty of reasons that don't include Jesus being magic, all of which have modern examples.
    Because they themselves could have been deluded into thinking that the best way to spread the words of Jesus (or a fictional character) would be to put him above the other preachers of the time by giving him superpowers in the story.
    Or because they were conmen who got nicked and had their deaths be spun by the other apostles or genuinely believing follows into martyrdom.
    Or because they were duped by a cult leader who was caught and killed then had his death spun into a new narrative.
    So how do you exclude each of these possibilities, beyond the arguement from incredulity you've been using so far?
    I'm with you for part of the argument. That is the chance that they could be self-deluded. I'm including this possibility in the argument so far. What we have to establish is whether or not the Apostles would die for what they clearly knew was a lie. Suicide cults are inadequate because the Apostles clearly had no interest of committing suicide and the Christian message precludes this possibility. This is why I've said that comparisons with suicide cults are poor and inadequate because they don't consider the context of the situation.
    But it shows that people can be duped into believing things that aren't true, then risk their lives on the line for it.
    That is assuming that the bible's accounts of their deaths are true.
    The incentive for people such as L. Ron Hubbard to lie is clear. The incentive for the Apostles to lie and risk their lives in doing so is slim at best. Why would you voluntarily choose to go out to the world, risk your life and live in poverty?

I'm not doubting that L. Ron Hubbard did do this for a second. The difference between L. Ron Hubbard and the first Christian evangelists is simply huge. Indeed, the difference between hhttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=71810913ow Christianity operates and how Scientology operates is also huge. The Gospel is entirely free. Scientology isn't.
    The gospel is free now, back then it could have been less so.
    You have to remember that to a scientologist the stuff is free, they are just paying donations to the church.

And again the only accounts showing that the apostles were poor is the bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

All this back and forth about the veracity of The Bible is a bit pointless really isn't it? I mean, whether it's been changed over the centuries or not doesn't change the fact that it's clearly a load of bollox like any other "holy" book. Miracles don't happen and there is no such thing as resurrection or magic. We know this.

Jesus - if he existed - was, I imagine, just the same as any religious nut job we've seen since. Meaning, I reckon he was probably insane or deluded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

We have absolutely nothing to suggest that the Bible is corrupted, and we have good reason to believe that it hasn't been.

Again (echo in here) you do not have good reason to suggest it hasn't been. In fact you have no reason to suggest it hasn't been, good or otherwise, except for invoking the supernatural.

The Bible is just a book. The vast majority of books, particularly religious books, are edited and changed in their early life. There is zero reason to think that the Bible would be any different, beyond naivety or religious supernaturalism.
    Indeed, I've seen nothing on this forum or on the Islam forum that would convince me of this.

So it is a perfect replication wins by default does it :rolleyes:

You aren't winning anyone over with your argument that your faith is rational there Jakkass.

Can you name another book that you assume hasn't been edited but which the only surviving copies are from 100+ years plus from the original copies?
    We are not sure about all of them. We can be confident in respect to Luke and John from looking to church history and from simply looking logically as I've explained to him above.

What are you talking about, Luke was never even supposed to be an eye witness of Jesus, he was a companion of Paul, himself who never met Jesus.

And no one thinks John was written by John.

So you have two books claiming to representing eye witness account but who's accuracy we have no way of judging.
    We have fragment evidence which confirms this in part.

No we don't. Why do you keep doing that, you know we don't. The earliest fragments of the New Testament are dated to decades after the original books would have been written.
    What confirms it the most is perhaps that there is no evidence to show that the Bible has been seriously corrupted.

There is no evidence it wasn't. The only surviving copies are from decades after the original books were written. They could have gone through 100 revisions and we would never know about it.
    No comparison, I've explained this in this post, and also to liamw.

Oh don't be so silly, it is a direct contradiction to your claim. Jim Jones knew that everything he had been doing was a lie, as did his closest advisors who helped him con people. When it looked like his ministry was falling apart he ordered the execution of his followers and then shot himself. For what exactly? A con-job.

If anything this is even more of a contradiction of your claim, since Jones wasn't even about to be killed by someone else. He decided to kill himself for something he knew wasn't true.

Your claim that people don't do this is baseless.

Face it Jakkass, your naive view of human psychology is completely contradicted by the behavior of other cult members. The behavior of Jesus and his closest followers is not only not particularly unusual, it does in fact fit the MO of cult leaders and followers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

We have absolutely nothing to suggest that the Bible is corrupted, and we have good reason to believe that it hasn't been.
    I don't know what you mean by "corrupted", but to take a simple example: we know that amongst the 150 or so earliest manuscripts of Luke, there are over 30,000 textual differences -- a figure which is greater than the number of words in the document!

And that's ignoring changes which were introduced deliberately, a fact we can infer from the Codex Vaticanus' famous and memorable marginal note:
    Fool and knave, can't you leave the old reading alone and not alter it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

Just because your ancient manuscript says so doesnt make it true.
    Just because your new manuscript says, Does make it true???
    Dun Dun Dun!

drooling-homer-simpson.jpg?w=279&h=320

dead one wrote: »
    Just because your new manuscript says, Does make it true???

Are you flirting with me?

Are you flirting with me?
    NO! boss_head_nodding_no_ty_clr.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jakkass why don't you worship Sathya Sai Baba, who is alleged to have performed miracles which have been witnessed by people still alive today? He has hundreds of thousands of followers, including prime ministers and presidents, who will be happy to attest to his divinity.

NO! boss_head_nodding_no_ty_clr.gif

you are and all you saucy minx.

you are and all you saucy minx.
    B46B107E4A7F7B6FDB2C48.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Which Biblical scholars and historians? I think that is an important question to ask.

It is an important question to ask and I will link to the primary sources as I deal with each text individually.
    We also have fragments from before the Codex Vaticanus or the Codex Sinaticus which are the earliest full manuscripts. So we can in part determine some texts earlier.

Yes, and as I have commented in my last post the earliest of these is the Rylands P52 which can only be dated to 117-138CE.

This ignores writings from contemporaries of John such as Polycarp who was said to have witnessed John writing his Gospel. When we speak of "majorities" we need to show how we are determining this.

Scholars do not ignore evidence. They do, however, ignore assertions. Just because someone claims something does not make it viable evidence. To make some use of your "why would they do that" argument, why would a biblical scholar like Raymond Brown, who also happens to be a Catholic priest, ignore evidence like Polycarp if it were valid since it would reinforce something he already holds true.

Work it backwards. Paul makes clear mention of Luke's presence with him in his letter to the Colossians and to Timothy. We can see that Luke in Acts also confirms a large proportion of the journey that Paul had been on. We can determine that it is probable that this is actually a reliable account of the new Christian communities. Then what we have to do is to read both Luke and Acts. What similarities do we find? Do these make it more plausible both that Luke and Acts have the same author and indeed is Luke's writing in Acts convincing enough to place him as a contemporary of Paul in his churches.

Ok, I think that my statement in my last post might have been somewhat misleading. There is substantial evidence to suggest that the author of Acts and Luke is the same person. There is considerable doubt, however, that that person is Luke the physician. There are a large number of scholars who maintain that Luke is the author but an equally large number who maintain that he is not. In fact, the theories surrounding authorship of Luke suggest that it may have been Luke, it may have been an anonymous author, it may have been a female author or it may be a redacted compilation. Without clear agreement either way, the most honest position is that the author is unknown.
    However, the consensus holds that even if it had been Luke, the account is not an eyewitness testimony to the events that it depicts and is at best a retold version of Mark's Gospel with some extra commentary.

A Marginal Jew: Rethinking the Historical Jesus; Meier, J.P.
    You are wrong in respect to the dating of Matthew, we have fragments from 50AD.

Actually, no, I'm not. Carsten Thiede's analysis of the Magdalen Papyrus P64 has been refuted by other biblical scholars showing that he draws conclusions which are not supported by the evidence. There is no solid research to indicate that the current consensus on the age (c.200CE) of P64 is wrong.

The Date of the Magdalen Papyrus of Matthew (P. Magd. GR.17 = P64): A response to C.P. Thiede.
    http://www.tyndale.cam.ac.uk/Tyndale/staff/Head/P64TB.htm

On a side note, alarm bells should go off in your head when you think that a site called biblefacts.org which contains vast swathes of creationist bull**** and links to Answers in Genesis and (weirdly) Debka is a reliable place to find information.
    This isn't true. Peter's Epistles and John's Epistles also very clearly refer to the Resurrection. Indeed one of my favourite passages from 1 Peter in part is this:

Yes, those epistles also refer to the resurrection but they also were not written by those who they're claimed to be. The first clue is in the Bible itself where Peter and John are described as illiterate.

When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.
    Acts 4:13

Biblical scholars agree firstly that 1 Peter and 2 Peter were not written by the same author.

Old Testament in the New, Moysie, S.
    http://books.google.ca/books?id=TCSOK_Q4D1sC&pg=PA116#v=onepage&q&f=false

The authorship of 2 Peter is not in dispute. The overwhelming consensus is that it was not written by the apostle Peter.

Second Peter: Introduction, Argument, Outline; Wallace, D.
    http://classic-web.archive.org/web/20031209164253/http://www.bible.org/docs/soapbox/2petotl.htm

As for 1st Peter, the majority scholarly consensus is that 1 Peter is pseudoepigraphal. The reason for this is the assumed weight and authority that a document written by Peter would have. However, the omission of the Petrine epistles from some of the earliest canons such as the Muratorian Canon in 170CE raises questions about its authenticity.

An Introduction to the New Testament; Brown, R.L.; p.722

Oxford Bible Commentary; Eve, E.; p.1263

The New Testament: A Historical Introduction to the Early Christian Writings.; Ehrman, Bart D.

Sorry I don't have any online links but you can get them on Amazon if you want.

As for the Johannine epistles, it's pretty much the same story. There is evidence to suggest that the same author wrote the epistles as wrote the fourth Gospel but the consensus is clear that the author is not John the Apostle.

"Although ancient traditions attributed to the Apostle John the Fourth Gospel, the Book of Revelation, and the three Epistles of John, modern scholars believe that he wrote none of them."

Understanding the Bible; Harris, S.L.; p.355

The whole Gospel in the early church is hinged fundamentally on the Resurrection of Jesus from the dead and there is an abundance of textual evidence to say that this is the case.

Yes, I agree the church hinges on the Resurrection of Jesus, but the evidence does not support the Resurrection. No amount of textual evidence is going to be sufficient to prove the resurrection. It doesn't matter if one person said it or 1 million people. An assertion is still an assertion. If you're going to claim the occurrence of a physical event then you need physical evidence.

There is an abundance of indicatory evidence too, if we just look to the history of the early church it becomes an absurdity without a Resurrection event.

I agree. In fact I think most atheists would agree that the church looks absurd without a resurrection event. However, the evidence says otherwise. If you have indicatory evidence, which for the moment I am going to assume is something other than documentary evidence, then please provide it.

I also agree that just because Paul mentions that there are 500 witnesses doesn't mean that there were. Why the heck would you invite such scrutiny if you knew it to be false though? Why write it? If you wanted to keep skepticism at bay you wouldn't. The simple answer is that Christianityseems to be a faith that encourages people to investigate its truth for themselves rather than blindly trusting in human authorities. To me as a Christian to know this is refreshing.

You're straying dangerously close to an argument from ignorance here, Jakkass. Just because you can't imagine why someone would invite such scrutiny doesn't automatically prove the veracity of Paul's statement. Paul's comment in 1 Corinthians 15 (which you have already acknowledged isn't a historical account) is just a wild assertion. He provides no evidence, nor do you to back up his claim of 500 witnesses.

What benefit is there to the Apostles in concocting such a story? King Mob mentioned the Vatican in a facetious manner, but in all seriousness one couldn't argue that Paul or the other Apostles benefited from this financially. So why else would you do it?

Again with the proto-argument from ignorance. Are you seriously claiming that because you can't see a reason for concocting such a story that it must be true? I've already given a reason for concocting such a story in my last post but if you want another fine. Michael Shermer once said in an interview, smart people are very good at rationalising things they came to believe in for non-smart reasons. I think that this mentality is at least as plausible a factor in this as anything else. The resurrection is a means to lend the Jesus character a certain authenticity on a religious level. It's perfectly well to say that Jesus preached this and healed this person but any other religion can say the same. If you want other people to believe what you do, what better way to do it than say that he rose from the dead.

Secondly, there is a solid argument to be made here that the resurrection of Jesus story was created to fit better with other mythologies. We already know from the amount of comparative mythological evidence available that Christianity is best described in mythological terms as a syncretic mythology in that it is built by incorporating themes, iconography and stories from other mythologies. We are all familiar with at least some of the stories. They can be both textual parallels as in the birth of Moses:

"And a man of the house of Levi went and took as wife a daughter of Levi. So the woman conceived and bore a son. And when she saw that he was a beautiful child, she hid him three months. But when she could no longer hide him, she took an ark of bulrushes for him, daubed it with asphalt and pitch, put the child in it, and laid it in the reeds by the river's bank."
    Exodus 2:1-3

compared to that of Horus:

"The battle between the two resulted in the death of Osiris, but before he died Osiris had impregnated his wife, Isis, goddess of wisdom and beauty. Isis in turn gave birth to Horus, the falcon-headed god of kingship. When Seth learned that his brother Osiris’s offspring had been born, he sought to kill the baby Horus. Isis prepared a basket of reeds to hide him in the marshland of the Nile Delta, where she suckled him and protected him, along with the watchful eye of her sister, Nephthys, from the snakes, scorpions and other dangerous creatures until he grew and prospered.

They can also be iconographical:

178424292_2e53c6a3d0.jpg

Anyway, with regard to Jesus, the theme of a birth-death-rebirth deity is quite old and quite well-worn in mythological terms. You have Dionysus, Asclepius and Orpheus in the Greek pantheon, Mithras in Persian mythology, Krishna in Hinduism, Odin in Norse mythology, Osiris in Egyptian mythology, Tammuz in Sumerian mythology and Zalmoxis in Dacian mythology.
    Thus it can be argued that the resurrection of Jesus is not a literal event, but a mythological theme which was repackaged in the late first century to communicate the message of Jesus in a way which would have been most familiar to the non-Christians of the time.
    The fact that the Christian church has chosen to interpret it as a literal event is unfortunate and sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

There are 7 days in a week because of the 7 celestial objects which have been observable since antiquity. These have lead to the names of the weekdays as FISMA pointed out here.

There is evidence of the use of a seven day week as far back as the Babylonians. In fact, it was probably the Babylonian use of a 7-day week which influenced Jewish thought (as it did in many other ways) and later Christian thought. However, other cultures not associated with the Judeo-Christian tradition have used seven day weeks for quite a long time. Hinduism, for example, has been using seven day weeks since at least the 1st century BC while Chinese culture has been using it since the 4th century. There are also modern indigenous cultures such as the Igbo in Nigeria which use weeks other than seven days.

Off topic, but there have been weeks of 3,4,5,6,8,9 and 10 days used at various point in time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Week has a good summary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

robindch wants my answer:

No we don't have the originals, but we do have 40,000 manuscripts to compare. With this many manuscripts it would be nigh on impossible to make significant changes to the New Testament.

We do know who wrote most of the texts not all. Matthew, Mark do not explicitly mention who wrote each. There is evidence both in the text and in early church history that John wrote his Gospel, and Luke explicitly identifies himself in the text.

We know that 40 passages are in doubt. Of these passages the vast majority are repeated in other parts of the New Testament which aren't in doubt.

We don't know this, but it is incredibly unlikely that they would, or indeed even go out into the depths of the Roman Empire to risk their lives were it not true. This leads into an argument about the veracity of the Resurrection. One would have to ask what gain there would be in concocting such a story. Indeed one would have to ask why the New Testament invites such scrutiny and embarrassing details that would have been glossed over in Jewish society were they false:

1. Women were the first witnesses to the risen Jesus at a time when the testimony of a woman was half that of a man.
    2. The New Testament publicises the sheer unbelief of the disciples after Jesus died to the extent of locking themselves in a room in fear for what the authorities would do them. Hardly the seal of those who firmly believed in the message of their teacher?
    3. Paul mentions explicitly in the New Testament that there were 500 witnesses of the Resurrected Jesus. Witnesses that people could have visited were they curious about the truth of the Gospel.

If one wanted the New Testament not to be questioned why would it invite scrutiny like this? What it seems to be to me as far as I'm concerned, is the full, raw and honest truth.

Great post, but to be honest you are wasting your time debating on this thread. Those who believe will believe, Those who don't won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

alex73 wrote: »
    Great post, but to be honest you are wasting your time debating on this thread. Those who believe will believe, Those who don't won't.

That seems to be in direct opposition to Christian doctrine. At it's heart it teaches that people will be convinced by the preaching of the gospel.

Isn't it a sin for you to post a picture of Mohammad?

Oh sorry, my mistake. That that was Mohammad raping is 9 year old wife.

What is "Truth" dead one. Did I just insult Mohammad, or did Mohammd just insult me? Who knows, science can't tell us.
    ;)

Isn't it a sin for you to post a picture of Mohammad?

Oh sorry, my mistake. That that was Mohammad raping is 9 year old wife.

What is "Truth" dead one. Did I just insult Mohammad, or did Mohammd just insult me? Who knows, science can't tell us.
    ;)
    I don't care what you say, remember you will see its consequences .

simpson_011.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

That seems to be in direct opposition to Christian doctrine. At it's heart it teaches that people will be convinced by the preaching of the gospel.

Actually Faith is a Gift from God, thats what we believe. Therefore there will always be those who don't have the gift, and God will judge them according to what they were given.

Actually Faith is a Gift from God, thats what we believe. Therefore there will always be those who don't have the gift, and God will judge them according to what they were given.

How can God judge something that he has or hasn't gifted? If it is is his decision on whether we are gifted or not, what judgement is required?

If someone is not gifted by God, why should that person spend eternity in damnation for something that is beyond their control?

I don't care what you say, remember you will see its consequences .

If you don't care why did you remind me of something? See even you can't stop yourself.
    ;)

• Advertisement

what about people who have no concept of a christian god? mayans, ancient greeks etc? did they all go to hell for not believing in something they had no idea supposedly existed in the first place? or do they get a pass?

Its the equivalent of dying, getting to the pearly gates and beign told you cant get in cos you didnt believe in the gigantic talking marshmallow you were supposed to be worshipping but hadnt heard about.

Advertisement