Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Maymack

Applegreen have objected to An Bord Pleanala to the redevelopment of Amber filling station on the Waterford Road. These objections should not be allowed. Obviously appealing because there will be more competition for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Maymack wrote: »
    Applegreen have objected to An Bord Pleanala to the redevelopment of Amber filling station on the Waterford Road. These objections should not be allowed. Obviously appealing because there will be more competition for them.

Standard practice I would think, goes on all the time in business.

Maymack wrote: »

I would have thought that the time to lodge an objection was when planning is first submitted. I sincerely hope that the objection is overruled.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭copy1

Hi ,anyone here living in Clonmel Estate with grass not been cut in a long time?

The new Mayor of Clonmel says the town has many projects that need to be pushed forward.

Fine Gael’s Garret Ahearn was elected unopposed at yesterday’s Clonmel Municipal District AGM.

The newly elected Councillor was supported by Cllrs Michael Murphy and Siobhan Ambrose, in a pact that will see five of the six members wear the chains – with Independent Cllr Niall Dennehy excluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

copy1 wrote: »
    Hi ,anyone here living in Clonmel Estate with grass not been cut in a long time?

Which Clonmel estate is this? We have a residents committee and contribute 20 euro a year for all the green spaces to be cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭copy1

cml387 wrote: »
    Which Clonmel estate is this? We have a residents committee and contribute 20 euro a year for all the green spaces to be cut.

We are in Ashgrove ( near Poppyfields) myself and neighbors tried to start up Residents Committee but usual story no body would sign up but want it all done for them,could you give me some details on how you do the payment for maintenance etc,Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

copy1 wrote: »
    We are in Ashgrove ( near Poppyfields) myself and neighbors tried to start up Residents Committee but usual story no body would sign up but want it all done for them,could you give me some details on how you do the payment for maintenance etc,Thanks very much.

Sorry, don't know the details, I believe the council will contribute if there is a sum collected.
    I'll see if I can find out from one of the committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The new Mayor of Clonmel says the town has many projects that need to be pushed forward.

Fine Gael’s Garret Ahearn was elected unopposed at yesterday’s Clonmel Municipal District AGM.

The newly elected Councillor was supported by Cllrs Michael Murphy and Siobhan Ambrose, in a pact that will see five of the six members wear the chains – with Independent Cllr Niall Dennehy excluded.

Simon Coveneys driver becomes mayor of Clonmel ya, really should bin this position something for the C.V. will be keeping the seat warm for his successor is all will be out on his ear (or off sooner if he coups a Dáil seat if sources are to be believed) before he puts any stamp on the town the usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭touts

Simon Coveneys driver becomes mayor of Clonmel ya, really should bin this position something for the C.V. will be keeping the seat warm for his successor is all will be out on his ear (or off sooner if he coups a Dáil seat if sources are to be believed) before he puts any stamp on the town the usual.

I'm sure he hopes the position of Mayor will help his chances in the Dail election if it happens in the next 12 months. Of course that assumes he stays on the Fine Gael ticket as apparently he is one of the candidates under review by FG HQ after a poor performance in the local election. The Mayor gig will make it harder for them to drop him now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

"The newly elected Councillor was supported by Cllrs Michael Murphy and Siobhan Ambrose, in a pact that will see five of the six members wear the chains – with Independent Cllr Niall Dennehy excluded"

Everyone is a winner it seems. Except Niall Dennehy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I see the park run is moving from Powerstown Park to the blue way...does anyone know why ?? I would have assumed the other people walking, the people on bikes etc would be an issue, not to mention how it floods a good bit !!

solerina wrote: »
    I see the park run is moving from Powerstown Park to the blue way...does anyone know why ?? I would have assumed the other people walking, the people on bikes etc would be an issue, not to mention how it floods a good bit !!

I thought that was for the one day only?

Maybe, whatever I read on Facebook made it appear like it was a permanent move, not sure though !!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Maybe, whatever I read on Facebook made it appear like it was a permanent move, not sure though !!

Looks like it's permanent:

https://clonmelonline.com/2019/06/clonmel-parkrun-moves-to-the-suir-blueway-from-the-29th-june/

Possibly a mistake in my opinion. With the existing 50-odd runners it may work but if the event gets more popular and the blueway also gets more traffic then something will have to give. I don't think that the path is wide enough for runners, walkers and cyclists all sharing the same space.

Ponster wrote: »
    Looks like it's permanent:

https://clonmelonline.com/2019/06/clonmel-parkrun-moves-to-the-suir-blueway-from-the-29th-june/

Possibly a mistake in my opinion. With the existing 50-odd runners it may work but if the event gets more popular and the blueway also gets more traffic then something will have to give. I don't think that the path is wide enough for runners, walkers and cyclists all sharing the same space.

I also think it’s a mistake. That path is busy at weekends with family in particular. It’d be a shame to discourage them from using it. The racecourse was great and very safe for parking and especially for large groups. And the circular route wide enough for groups to run together and overtake if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

It seems like a bad move, I wonder what the reason is for it. I’m always put off going to the park run by the amount of photographs they post on Facebook. The last thing I’d want is a few photos of my red faced self huffing and puffing along a 5k route to be posted to social media.

Thanks for the replies, I hope it’s not permanent, I also think it’s a mistake to move to the blueway !!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Thanks for the replies, I hope it’s not permanent, I also think it’s a mistake to move to the blueway !!

Yesterday they said on Facebook "2nd last time in the race course tomorrow..." so I guess that it;s permanent. Shame as I had always hoped to run it there someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I liked the racecourse too, the hill (x2) was a nice test. I guess it's a bit out of town and maybe they are hoping to attract more runners by moving it into the town? I'm also skeptical about the move.

I'd imagine the start will be at area where the blueway briefly splits in two, just up from Dunnes? Presumably it will be an out and back route? If so, the 5k would be down almost to Fairyhouse and back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Look to be legit.

It could cause a lot of traffic issues with regular Blueway users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Park run is 5km, takes 45 mins at most - at the moment there are a maximum of 50 people attending - shouldn’t give too many users difficulty at 9.30am on a Saturday morning.

I’m not sure why they have changed - I work most Saturdays so can’t attend but I think any initiative that gets people moving is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I agree with people who think it's a bad idea, at least the path has been widened down that way so might not be too bad. What's the story though with running/walking in powerstown park in the evenings, drove in there a couple of times recently only to see signs saying it closes at 4.30 even though it was well after that time when I went in there, I didn't see anyone else around or any cars so I drove off to run somewhere else couldn't take a chance on them locking the gate while I was inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

There’s work being done at the racecourse so park run has to move out for a couple of months. When the work is completed park run will be moving back.

Rather than move to the bypass again the blueway is being used.

F34 wrote: »
    There’s work being done at the racecourse so park run has to move out for a couple of months. When the work is completed park run will be moving back.

Rather than move to the bypass again the blueway is being used.

Thanks for clarifying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I walked the Mayor’s Walk for the fast time last week and was wondering how it got it name? Anybody have any idea?

tippspur wrote: »
    I agree with people who think it's a bad idea, at least the path has been widened down that way so might not be too bad. What's the story though with running/walking in powerstown park in the evenings, drove in there a couple of times recently only to see signs saying it closes at 4.30 even though it was well after that time when I went in there, I didn't see anyone else around or any cars so I drove off to run somewhere else couldn't take a chance on them locking the gate while I was inside.

Not sure about the signs but at this time of year it is normally open all day due to the greater light availability !! I would say you could chance it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Does anyone know where I can buy wood around Clonmel, somewhere other than Woodies?

Not looking for anything special, just some plywood sheets and some 2x4s, pine or deal, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Chadwicks for the sheets of ply. They would have the 4 by 2 as well and so would Pollards sawmills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭All in all

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can buy wood around Clonmel, somewhere other than Woodies?

Not looking for anything special, just some plywood sheets and some 2x4s, pine or deal, etc.

As said Pollards, when I was getting a good bit of stuff a couple years ago they were significantly cheaper for ply and timber lengths. Also delivered for free.

Advertisement