Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Dat frozen ice is no good 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Just been out in the garden and can hear the base from the greyhound track and I'm out in Ballypatrick.

Oh to be young again.:(

Vizzy wrote: »
    Is it fresh ice or frozen ice ?

Can't stand the frozen stuff at all.

We only use the clear stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭djscubasteve

Pretty ropey mixing at it , sounded like a horse falling down the stairs, was that you djsteve?

Definitely wasn't me!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Is Clonmel still their?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Is Clonmel still their?

Yep but I wish the little feckers would all p*ss off home now - swarms of them roaming around the old Waterford road.

The rave went off without a hitch as far as I can see just need them all to go home now.

Yep but I wish the little feckers would all p*ss off home now - swarms of them roaming around the old Waterford road.

The rave went off without a hitch as far as I can see just need them all to go home now.

Make sure you still have your roof tiles!

^^^^^ ???? I'm old, please explain?

^^^^^ ???? I'm old, please explain?

Somebody at the rave might have stole them!(Your roof slates/tiles)

Somebody at the rave might have stole them!(Your roof slates/tiles)

Sorry, I'm a bit slow on the uptake.

Not worried about the roof, in fact apart from random urinating, from the patrons not myself you understand, I can't see any problems with it. Lots of drink consumed of course, both before and since I expect, but the swarms seemed to have dispersed so all is right with the world again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭djscubasteve

Well, on a scale of 1 to 10, whereas 1 is silence and 10 being outrageous, I think its a 3, maybe a 4 at most.

I was just out walking the dog, few groups of young wans in Denis Burke park drinking cans before they went in - left their mess behind them and the girls used the weeping willow as a public convenience but certainly it is much quieter than I expected. I can hear the tv and the dog and cat are oblivious to it.

Now it might get noisier but there is only 5 hours to go - and there will be a lot of young ones around at midnight, but then there normally is on a Saturday night.

I was definitely the biggest objector on here and I've been converted.

If they ran it like this and if the rest of the night is not a disaster, then I would not object to another one.

Told you so... ;)

In all seriousness, very glad to hear you've changed your opinion on the event. It was very well ran. A few people in sketchy condition alright but absolutely no trouble there. Roll on Mass 2018!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

but I think its the same song they are playing since 2 pm.....It sounds like a few lads bating a tar barrel with sticks....

Ah me too work in the showgrounds so heard a lot of it, more a rock n vocal man meself but whatever understand enjoying music n hope the attendees did so.

Interesting venue it has to be said :)

Wouldnt it be fantastic for the town,if they could get Daniel O' Donnell for that venue..

Wouldnt it be fantastic for the town,if they could get Daniel O' Donnell for that venue..

And we could all sit down to a nice cup of tea. Bliss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

I was definitely the biggest objector on here and I've been converted.

If they ran it like this and if the rest of the night is not a disaster, then I would not object to another one.

Fair play for coming back on and admitting it wasn't as disruptive as you expected and that it was run well.
    Wonder if the other protesters will do the same.
    I know a few that went and they're decent lads and not scum or drug takers as they were painted here.

We need a lot more live and let live attitude in Ireland and to realise the whole world doesn't revolve around us.

I hope some businesses in town benefited and that the dog track might hold some similar events in the future.

Told you so... ;)

In all seriousness, very glad to hear you've changed your opinion on the event. It was very well ran. A few people in sketchy condition alright but absolutely no trouble there. Roll on Mass 2018!

You did indeed. It was a very quiet affair compared to the raves I remember. Though I met a runner this morning and she heard it out at Kilganey and someone else could hear it in Griffith Avenue, it obviously definitely depended on the speakers not being pointed in my direction!

I was out walking the dog this morning and there is a lot of detritus (cans, bottles, etc) out and around the free car park but considering the amount of people around the area yesterday, not just patrons but interested locals, its grand.

How was the venue from a performer/attendee point of view? Would it be a suitable venue for more music performers? Perhaps it is an untapped source of entertainment/profit for the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭klose

It was very well run, very impressive set up from paradox who set this whole even up.
    As I said yesterday there was plenty of security, people collecting litter and staff behind the bar. Paramedics had a good set up too and were out patrolling, they had little to deal with any time I passed their tent. Of course there were a few people who had too much drink but that's to be expected, I only saw one altercation between two guys that didn't result in anything thankfully they sorted it out between them.
    The music set up was very good and the main stage was impressive with good sound and lighting, they had the stage facing the back of the show grounds so I guess that dampened the music for the surrounding areas? I could be wrong on that. All djs were great, brilliant to be able to walk around to different djs playing you had your pick! 2 food vans, 2 bars and portaloos divides for male and females. Her good self said they could have done with more portaloos however. Thorough security check going in and they also had security in the car park to keep an eye out. They also had a little chill out area too which I though was cool.
    From my perspective it was a huge success, people can stereotype the people going to these events but all I could see was people dancing and having a damn good time. I hope there was no damage done to the area when it finished up, headed straight to bakers myself so can't say how they dealt with the crowds leaving. Hopefully it will be back next year, I imagine they are only allowed the amount they had last night so perhaps they could move the event to a bigger area if there's demand?

I couldn't see or hear any problems at the end of the night - a few young men being a bit gobby for about half an hour and a bit of rubbish, nothing to get upset about.

I think it may have been better received if the greyhound stadium and paradox (?) hadn't try to hide the event and slide it through without consultation or discussion - but I'm not sure that would have helped.

The proof was in the pudding. They said they knew what they were doing, according to the people that attended they knew what they were doing and as a local resident, I wasn't one bit inconvenienced. Maybe others were and I'm sure I wasn't the only resident worried that it would be a disaster but now we know the area can handle events like this, maybe they can do it again but with different genre's of music that we can all enjoy.

You are joking yes?

Did you ever see the kind of crowd that he attracts!!!

Town would be wrecked.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

dieselbug wrote:
    dieselbug wrote:
    Town would be wrecked.

Littered with paper cups and tea bags :-)

• Advertisement

Littered with paper cups and tea bags :-)

Did you not see that episode of Fr Ted!!!

Lucky to escape with their lives.

Maniac groupies

dieselbug wrote: »
    You are joking yes?

Town would be wrecked.:rolleyes:

Last week it was all about the boom boom music,and how the town would be wrecked.
    Now a Daniel O' Donnell gig would wreck the town..are ye not jumping the gun again..I think thats very unfair..Meself and mrs looby often travel to a Daniel.gig,and never saw any trouble..The only danger might be getting a foot stood on,in the rush for an autograph..Sure couldnt they arrange an autograph area,something like the chill out area at the mass thing?

Last week it was all about the boom boom music,and how the town would be wrecked.
    Now a Daniel O' Donnell gig would wreck the town..are ye not jumping the gun again..I think thats very unfair..Meself and mrs looby often travel to a Daniel.gig,and never saw any trouble..The only danger might be getting a foot stood on,in the rush for an autograph..Sure couldnt they arrange an autograph area,something like the chill out area at the mass thing?

Yesterday evening I could hear the base from the MASS and I'm about 7 miles from Clonmel but that was ok, just made me feel old:(

If Daniel was playing I would be trapped inside all night for fear of being able to hear it if I ventured outside.:)

Well I am just happy that so many are going to mass again..:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Out of interest I went and listened to it from a few spots myself as was unable to attend. The reverb from the bass definitely seemed to be directed towards Dunnes with some spillage onto the housing on the Waterford Road as a result. There are open fields on this side behind barlos so nothing there to contain it.

The bass was also loud through the walls of the showgrounds during the day, but the building did dampen the music externally from that section of the Waterford Road. I didn't notice any of the messing mentioned on the roof car park, just people pulling up to ask the security guy could they look down and interested in how it was set up.

The music was loud enough that I made out Cafe Del Mar about 2 miles across town :) All that said, the sound in the entrance car park was definitely lower than on the other sides. I witnessed what I assume were a few bewildered residents of other surrounding areas who knew nothing of the event, asking security what was going on and when it would finish. Plenty of people of all ages just pulling up for gawk and then leaving.

I'm personally happy it seems to have went off without much incident and those I know who attended had a good time. At least it sets a precedent for Clonmel hosting an event of this size and catering for younger people travelling here from all over the country. As a large town that is just off the M8 and N24, we're ideally placed to add something for younger audiences to the likes of the Junction/Busking festivals, albeit if the venue itself needs to be reassessed/discovered for the future events. We should also be competing with the likes of dungarvan for hosting large food festivals or more sporting events like the cycling.

(Ps I have heard on the grapevine that powerstown were initially approached but turned it down due to the music genre. How much truth is in that I don't know)

(Ps I have heard on the grapevine that powerstown were initially approached but turned it down due to the music genre. How much truth is in that I don't know)[/QUOTE]

I have this myself a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I know that the organisers of the Junction were not at all happy that Mass was going ahead cos they thought that the Junction might be associated with "that kind of music".
    It will be interesting next year if Mass goes ahead again, if they will claim credit for bringing alternative music to the town.

I was down town last night when Mass finished and there was a major influx of youths on the town. Some were fairly drunk, most were not. Those that were drunk (or drugged up) were very drunk but I'd say you would have worse after O Keeffes on any given night.

Out of interest, how did the gig in Fozzy's go ?

(Ps I have heard on the grapevine that powerstown were initially approached but turned it down due to the music genre. How much truth is in that I don't know)[/QUOTE]

Gardaí told me that the Greyhound stadium was approved because its a totally fenced arena - in other words, they could control what came in (as in drink/drugs/etc), could control what happened in there and it has one exit.

As far as I know Clonmel doesn't have any other stadium like this.

I'm curious, how many could the greyhound stadium hold comfortably? There was 1,500 yesterday, how many more could comfortably go in and see another act/acts?

I actually think that if the town could cope with 10 hours of techno, it could cope with 3/4 hours of any other genre.

I wouldn't be a big fan of auld Daniel, the promoters would have to have a emergency supply of HRT on standby just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭klose

(Ps I have heard on the grapevine that powerstown were initially approached but turned it down due to the music genre. How much truth is in that I don't know)

Gardaí told me that the Greyhound stadium was approved because its a totally fenced arena - in other words, they could control what came in (as in drink/drugs/etc), could control what happened in there and it has one exit.

As far as I know Clonmel doesn't have any other stadium like this.

I'm curious, how many could the greyhound stadium hold comfortably? There was 1,500 yesterday, how many more could comfortably go in and see another act/acts?

I actually think that if the town could cope with 10 hours of techno, it could cope with 3/4 hours of any other genre.

I wouldn't be a big fan of auld Daniel, the promoters would have to have a emergency supply of HRT on standby just in case.[/quote]

It was comfortably full yesterday, it could have held more people for sure, I wouldn't even try to estimate as I'm horrific at that. EVen the headline act didn't fill the main stage area (thankfully, nothing worse than being wedged at a gig) the area where the tarmac is was where the day was held, the track and field were completely barracaded off so it was essentially one long narrow stretch where everything was on. You were never rubbing off people or anything it was grand.

I'm interested to see if they will have the gig again in clonmel, as far as I'm aware this is the organisers first festival so to speak all previous gigs they organised were in clubs around Dublin which wouldn't require as much planning etc, it was initially for Kilkenny but got shot down as the area was unsuitable.

On aul Daniel, him and the country western scene ain't my thing but it's sh!t hot round the country now and clonmel could do worse than trying holding their own day long gig perhaps, Holy Cross have one each summer and it's a massive hit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

When I hear from the people who were concerned i will post what they say. i did hear from someone who was in the showgrounds yesterday. They said you could hear it but not very much. As others said they heard it further away i would point out that was early afternoon maybe it was not started properly

I did hear that there is a country music show interested - not Daniel-as it was so successful but they were probably winding me up. Sure they'd say MASS for you

@It wasnt me123 Glad you weren't boom boomed out

Advertisement