Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Not a closet fan or anything but didn't Daniel play the Regal some years back.

I remember being there for a Mary Black concert and she remarked how lovely it was to be in your lovely "little theatre" cringe moment and she realized it straight away.

Think I was there for a Jack Lukeman show another night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

she remarked how lovely it was to be in your lovely "little theatre" cringe moment and she realized it straight away.
    Don't understand. Was it because the theatre is really big?

Don't understand. Was it because the theatre is really big?

No, quiet small but it came across as a bit condescending, a slip of the tongue if you like.

Like someone admiring your lovely new "little" house. Not very tactful.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭djscubasteve

@itwasntme123: As was already been pretty well described by klose, it was well laid out & contained by railings/fences put in there by the organisers so the crowd could only go where they were allowed to. It was very full but very comfortable too, I've been to gigs before where it's just horribly cramped & you have zero personal space. Yesterday was fine, obviously the younger die hards were all crammed up front but it was great go be able to stand a bit back & have plenty of space & enjoy the music.

From a performance viewpoint, everything was run like clock work & the venue is set up perfect for this kind of event, with multiple areas to have acts playing simultaneously. The promoters were great too, really sound in person. When I was offered drinks before playing, I said I didn't drink so they went & got me bottles of water & minerals to make sure I was looked after. I had a bit of a roam around up on the main stage when the headline act was on & it was surreal to think I was still in Clonmel!

There was potential to have a bigger crowd there but I can only assume the guys wanted to play safe with the first event there. Huge potential down there though. Really & sincerely hope this is the beginning of more gigs down there, for all kinds of music, even our wee Daniel! Could have something like a mini Indiependance type thing there with bands, djs of all kinds performing & attract all walks of music fans to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

[QUOTE=djscubasteve;104037881.

There was potential to have a bigger crowd there but I can only assume the guys wanted to play safe with the first event there. Huge potential down there though. Really & sincerely hope this is the beginning of more gigs down there, for all kinds of music, even our wee Daniel! Could have something like a mini Indiependance type thing there with bands, djs of all kinds performing & attract all walks of music fans to the town.[/QUOTE]

Well if they can run all events like this one, I can't see anyone objecting to it. I think 10 hours was too much for locals like me to initially embrace, perhaps 5/6 hours would be more easily accepted but the 12pm finish was excellent.

You were one of the performers and perhaps you have the ear of the powers that be to encourage more music events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Wouldnt it be fantastic for the town,if they could get Daniel O' Donnell for that venue..
    And we could all sit down to a nice cup of tea. Bliss.

Just so ye know. If ye do go ahead with this plan Daniel doesn't drink tea. He only drinks Coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭julyjane

dieselbug wrote: »

I remember going to something in the regal around 1998 and there was a bar/function room in the back afterwards. We were leaving maybe 12.30/1am and there were about 8-10 people outside the regal in sleeping bags. We thought it was an unusual place for homeless people to sleep but someone enlightened us, tickets for Daniel O'Donnell were going on sale the following morning

No, quiet small but it came across as a bit condescending, a slip of the tongue if you like.

Like someone admiring your lovely new "little" house. Not very tactful.
    OK understand now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I remember being there for a Mary Black concert and she remarked how lovely it was to be in your lovely "little theatre" cringe moment and she realized it straight away.

Think I was there for a Jack Lukeman show another night.
    I saw Aslan in the Regal one time and Francis Black another time,shame it wasn't kept as a venue but a lot of the acts that played in there didn't get the support needed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Just been out in the garden and can hear the base from the greyhound track and I'm out in Ballypatrick.

Ahhh, I was in Bally myself and wondered what the hum was :)

• Advertisement

"I saw Aslan in the Regal one time"

Aren't Aslan playing in Tipperary soon or is it gone by? Cashel Or Tipp i cannot remember exactly where

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

The Corrs actually played the Regal

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

"I saw Aslan in the Regal one time"

Aren't Aslan playing in Tipperary soon or is it gone by? Cashel Or Tipp i cannot remember exactly where

They are playing in Golden hall on the 22nd. That's the only Tipperary date I have seen advertised.

They are playing in Golden hall on the 22nd. That's the only Tipperary date I have seen advertised
    Thats it i couldn't remember where

There was a programme about Christy on RTE last Tuesday..Its on the RTE Player if anyone wants to watch...A wee bit off thread,but thought some may be interested...:)

There was a programme about Christy on RTE last Tuesday..Its on the RTE Player if anyone wants to watch...A wee bit off thread,but thought some may be interested...:)

Ye just a wee bit :P

Perhaps Christy has Clonmel roots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

He's making good use of his illness. Last chance to see me before I check out. Out and out chancer.

He's making good use of his illness. Last chance to see me before I check out. Out and out chancer.

Are you serious, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

dieselbug wrote:
    Are you serious, really.

Dead serious his doctors told him put a lid on some of the stuff he was coming out with

Dead serious his doctors told him put a lid on some of the stuff he was coming out with

And where did that come from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ye just a wee bit :P

Perhaps Christy has Clonmel roots?

He used to work in a bank in town before he took up the gigging full time. He used to live above annie kehoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

klose wrote: »
    He used to work in a bank in town before he took up the gigging full time. He used to live above annie kehoes.

That was Christy Moore. The documentary was about Christy dignam 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭klose

tinyk68 wrote: »

Oh jesus my bad, only half reading the thread :D

That was Christy Moore. The documentary was about Christy dignam ��
    klose wrote: »

Lol, Christy Dingham never struck me as the bank clerk type :)

I have to say I got a laugh from that....:-)

Is Costa open at The Showgrounds yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tommiet

Is Costa open at The Showgrounds yet?

It is, was in the show grounds this morning and it was open, out door seating and all...

tommiet wrote: »
    It is, was in the show grounds this morning and it was open, out door seating and all...

Thanks!
    Anything else new in The Showgrounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tommiet

Thanks!
    Anything else new in The Showgrounds?

no, nothing new, really needs a few more shops, we just go there for ice land and argos, maybe wander around TK max..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Christie and Aslan never needed to use excuses to draw the crowds in,the music was enough,that's a ridiculous post ffs.:(

Advertisement