Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I'm thinking of making an application for a Casual Trading licence for the MASS event.

Reckon that there is money to be made selling cheap water and whistles down at the dog track ( and maybe lighters as well)

Good idea/bad idea ?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭djscubasteve

Expunge wrote: »
    Ah come on now, djscubasteve. Of course there'll be trouble! It's just a question of how much.

This town is renowned for it. And a thousand plus people are to bussed in as well?
    And the other surrounding drinking dens are getting in on it too? Fantastic.

Tell you what, give us your address and I and 30 other people (only 30) will each consume 4 litres of cider, a bottle of Aldi vodka and assorted illegal drugs.

In your front garden we will urinate, defecate and those who are able to will fornicate. For you and your family's pleasure we will also stage a mock but realistic glassing, using "Hollywood style" bottles. I wouldn't want to overburden the A&E at STGH, ya see.

If it goes well, I'll consider bringing my public order circus to the homes of each and every director of the Clonmel Greyhound Racing Track Ltd.

Just leave your address below, thanks

Have you ever actually been to an event of this kind?? You're spouting absolute ****e. This is VERY small scale compared to dozens of other events that take place all over the country. The people that do take drugs are actually the ones you don't need to worry about, alcohol is much worse & makes people agressive, I'll admit. I don't partake in either myself but I have been at countless gigs & festivals with may larger crowds & they've gone by without incident. People are going to have fun, enjoy music that they like & meet others doing the same. They're not going there to riot. 1500 people isn't a huge crowd by any means, look at the likes of electric picnic etc & how they run. Yes, there's an issue with rubbish afterwards, the organisers actually have a clean up crew hired to clear all of it on Sunday.

There's a heavy metal gig going on in Fozzy's the same day, where's the uproar about that?

Vizzy wrote: »
    I'm thinking of making an application for a Casual Trading licence for the MASS event.

Reckon that there is money to be made selling cheap water and whistles down at the dog track ( and maybe lighters as well)

Good idea/bad idea ?

Maybe contact Paradox Events, they're the promoters. Whistles, glow sticks, fluorescent stuff etc would surely sell well.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

Vuvuzela's would sell well, neighbours would love them

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

You don't even take a drink djsteve?

I just noticed that the event Facebook page outcider is listed as a sponsor which is a bulmers brand I think. Has anyone raised concerned with them about the fears being expressed here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

snipey wrote: »
    Vuvuzela's would sell well, neighbours would love them

Ahem...... no no no and no to whistles as well though I'm not sure why you would want whistles at a music gig, must be a young persons thing. Bottled water would sell well, from my memory of Barrys, the ecstasy takers were very thirsty!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭klose

You don't even take a drink djsteve?

I just noticed that the event Facebook page outcider is listed as a sponsor which is a bulmers brand I think. Has anyone raised concerned with them about the fears being expressed here?

Do you really think they would even consider a couple of people complaining? To them they see 1000 new potential customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Expunge

From Solocheck.ie

Red Rock Agencies Limited was set up on Tuesday the 11th of April 2006.
    Their current address is Dublin 16, and the company status is Normal.
    The company's current directors Cormac Hedderman, Jason Miller and Geoff Miller have been the director of 1 other Irish company between them; 1 of which is now closed.

May Trade As: Paradox Events

Registered Address:Alara,
    13 College Park Avenue,
    Ballinteer,
    Dublin 16
    D16 W6T0

How would the good citizens of College Park Avenue enjoy 10 HOUR EVENT of this nature in amongst them, would you say?
    Maybe a local pub nearby can have a Heavy Metal Event at the same time?

I would say it would not happen in Ballinteer. Because Ballinteer would not allow itself to become a social dustbin for events unwanted elsewhere.

Maybe Messers Hedderman and Miller could next year bring the World Pit Bull fighting Championships to the Greyhound Track to further raise the tone of Clonmel?

Expunge you must be lighting candles down the church hoping there's trouble at this so you can say you were right all along otherwise you will look like a right fool after nailing your colours so hard to the mast. I've never seen such gross stereotyping in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Maybe Messers Hedderman and Miller could next year bring the World Pit Bull fighting Championships to the Greyhound Track to further raise the tone of Clonmel?

Pit Bull fighting is illegal so I doubt if these Championships will be sent anywhere(if they even exist).
    Are you now alleging that it is illegal to hold a dance event anywhere ?
    Crazy stuff !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

@ It wasnt me123 Is there a lot of objection amongs people like you who are internet users and able to make your points? If so why are you not protesting? The people i know of are not internet savvy or not the type to speak out.

Will this be near/heard in Davis road houses?.I passed by the showgrounds recently and see there a Davis Row and I think Ard na Greine behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Expunge

I see from the promoters Facebook page that they are looking for Volunteers!

I have decided to sign up and see if I can effect change from within.

No longer will I complain on this forum. Pointless... too many fanboys.

My aim is to get a couple of free pints of that sponsored cider, distract the DJs and every chance I get, turn down the music.

I might succeed, I may get a beating from security and pissed off punters.

Davis Road, ORahilly Ave and surrounding residents... I'm doing this for you!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Davis Road, ORahilly Ave and surrounding residents... I'm doing this for you!!!!

Maybe they don't want it done!

there's a protest tonight outside the Dog track if anyone wants to attend, I'm bringing my Vuvuzale

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

snipey wrote: »
    there's a protest tonight outside the Dog track if anyone wants to attend, I'm bringing my Vuvuzale

What about the poor child and animals you might disturb in a residential area?

I see from the promoters Facebook page that they are looking for Volunteers!

I have decided to sign up and see if I can effect change from within.

No longer will I complain on this forum. Pointless... too many fanboys.

My aim is to get a couple of free pints of that sponsored cider, distract the DJs and every chance I get, turn down the music.

I might succeed, I may get a beating from security and pissed off punters.

You're making yourself sound absolutely ridiculous, not to mention slightly crazy! You've actually got no concept of how these events are run or staged do you? If you even think you could get near enough to the equipment to do that, you definitely don't. Also, if you're volunteering at it, you're not allowed to drink.

You're making yourself sound absolutely ridiculous, not to mention slightly crazy! You've actually got no concept of how these events are run or staged do you? If you even think you could get near enough to the equipment to do that, you definitely don't. Also, if you're volunteering at it, you're not allowed to drink.

The irony of it too, "this event inconveniences me for a few hours and so I am going thusly attempt to go out of my way and ruin 1000 paying customers day"

@ It wasnt me123 Is there a lot of objection amongs people like you who are internet users and able to make your points? If so why are you not protesting? The people i know of are not internet savvy or not the type to speak out.

Will this be near/heard in Davis road houses?.I passed by the showgrounds recently and see there a Davis Row and I think Ard na Greine behind it

To answer your question, I have no idea if my neighbours object or not. Most of the people around me are tenants, I'm not sure if they even know its on, apart from a leaflet from the promoters put through our doors. I have tried the county council, both about the buses/possible road closures (which I'm told no traffic will be disrupted) and the noise levels. There is no legal noise limit for this type of event so say County Council so they have no control over the noise - I have my ear plugs at the ready.

I have been in touch with the Gardaí, though off the record I'm told these type of events do attract some anti-social people, I'm told the worse I can expect is people urinating in my garden.

I contacted Tipp FM on numerous occasions (they were cc'd on emails I had with the promoters, county council, gardai) but I never heard back from them.

I have been down all the proper routes to lodge my objection to it - not sure what others have done - but I think I've done as much as I can - I do have other stuff to be doing.

I'm told its a one off event - so I will just stay schtum, comment on here if its relevant and bunker down - my dog is going to suffer as he's nervous at the best of times but I'll take him out and hopefully we won't have any hassle later in the night.

As for Expunge - I think his comments should be taken more tongue in cheek but if it goes silent on Saturday night on and off, I'll be thanking him.

PS. I'm hoping for rain!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

klose wrote: »
    Do you really think they would even consider a couple of people complaining? To them they see 1000 new potential customers.

And they could do with all the customers they can get according to yesterday mornings business show on today FM :

https://www.todayfm.com/The-Sunday-Business-Show/listen-back

From 6 minutes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

Methinks some are trying too hard to make us believe they're not from Clonmel :-) must be a lot of old fogies on here begrudging the youth a bit of music and the town some revenue

• Advertisement

Methinks some are trying too hard to make us believe they're not from Clonmel :-) must be a lot of old fogies on here begrudging the youth a bit of music and the town some revenue

Thats pretty much the perfect description for a certain couple of people commenting here.

@itwasntme123 you've explored pretty much EVERY avenue to try lodge an objection & to complain. Where's it gotten you? You've wasted a lot of your own time & effort only to be met with perfectly reasonable responses, to your dismay. You seem to be baffled that people are generally open to the event happening & that the organisers have made all the required applications & preparations. Why??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

To answer your question, I have no idea if my neighbours object or not. Most of the people around me are tenants, I'm not sure if they even know its on, apart from a leaflet from the promoters put through our doors. I have tried the county council, both about the buses/possible road closures (which I'm told no traffic will be disrupted) and the noise levels. There is no legal noise limit for this type of event so say County Council so they have no control over the noise - I have my ear plugs at the ready.

I have been in touch with the Gardathough off the record I'm told these type of events do attract some anti-social people, I'm told the worse I can expect is people urinating in my garden.

I contacted Tipp FM on numerous occasions (they were cc'd on emails I had with the promoters, county council, gardai) but I never heard back from them.

I have been down all the proper routes to lodge my objection to it - not sure what others have done - but I think I've done as much as I can - I do have other stuff to be doing.

I'm told its a one off event - so I will just stay schtum, comment on here if its relevant and bunker down - my dog is going to suffer as he's nervous at the best of times but I'll take him out and hopefully we won't have any hassle later in the night.

As for Expunge - I think his comments should be taken more tongue in cheek but if it goes silent on Saturday night on and off, I'll be thanking him.

PS. I'm hoping for rain!!!

Bunker down, ear plugs, battening down the hatches and moving away...jesus you'd swear they were dropping the Atom Bomb on the town instead of preparing for a gig.

the forecast for Saturday is excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Black_Ninja

Long range forecast for Saturday is pretty good.

https://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Clonmel/long.html

I'm not from Clonmel but have been following this thread.

While it's not my type of music, I wish this event every success and I hope it generates revenue for Clonmel which I have no doubt it will.

Think of the wages going to be paid to bar staff, security staff (although they might not be from the area, they have to eat too) same for bus drivers etc.

If something like this was to happen in my area, I would wholeheartedly support it. I would happily put up with a days disruption if it potentially brought something positive to my area.

Fair play to the promoters for trying something new in a venue that has never been used for anything like this before (to the best of my knowledge), if it goes without a hitch, which I'm sure it will, fingers crossed it clears the way for other events in the venue.

Thats pretty much the perfect description for a certain couple of people commenting here.

@itwasntme123 you've explored pretty much EVERY avenue to try lodge an objection & to complain. Where's it gotten you? You've wasted a lot of your own time & effort only to be met with perfectly reasonable responses, to your dismay. You seem to be baffled that people are generally open to the event happening & that the organisers have made all the required applications & preparations. Why??

Because I live less than 200 metres from the Greyhound Stadium and I know its going to be loud and constant for 10 hours, with lots of people, bass, traffic and noise, mainly the noise.

I feel this event has been foisted on the residents. I think the stadium is not suitable for this event and I don't want it there, I think it would be much better suited to Powerstown Racecourse.

I objected in a considered way (though slightly hysterical on here I'd admit) - through contacting the authorities and the "powers that be" and not through social media - though I have commented on this thread. I think the people open to this event are either people going to it or people that don't live next to it

The only way you know I've been given reasonable answers is because I wrote to them, they wrote back and I passed on the info. If I hadn't written to them, I wouldn't have the answers and I'm being honest here, I am more than a little concerned for my property when the gig ends, but not for my personal safety.

I'm not the demographic that this event attracts - I went to raves in the 80's when they were first popular - and I don't object to people enjoying themselves - I just don't think this stadium is the right place for this event and feel that anyone who objects is going to be shouted down. I'm sure I'm not the only local resident to object but most objectors receive abuse and derogatory comments - I'm probably a bit tougher skinned than most.

I'm still hoping for rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

Because I live less than 200 metres from the Greyhound Stadium and I know its going to be loud and constant for 10 hours, with lots of people, bass, traffic and noise, mainly the noise.

I feel this event has been foisted on the residents. I think the stadium is not suitable for this event and I don't want it there, I think it would be much better suited to Powerstown Racecourse.

I objected in a considered way (though slightly hysterical on here I'd admit) - through contacting the authorities and the "powers that be" and not through social media - though I have commented on this thread. I think the people open to this event are either people going to it or people that don't live next to it

The only way you know I've been given reasonable answers is because I wrote to them, they wrote back and I passed on the info. If I hadn't written to them, I wouldn't have the answers and I'm being honest here, I am more than a little concerned for my property when the gig ends, but not for my personal safety.

I'm not the demographic that this event attracts - I went to raves in the 80's when they were first popular - and I don't object to people enjoying themselves - I just don't think this stadium is the right place for this event and feel that anyone who objects is going to be shouted down. I'm sure I'm not the only local resident to object but most objectors receive abuse and derogatory comments - I'm probably a bit tougher skinned than most.

I'm still hoping for rain.
    were thr aves you went to near houses? How many will be in this and how many would be at a night at the dogs. Just wondering will it spill out into carpark. I was at the dogs once .Isn' t there a field behind the dog track?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

Isn' t there a field behind the dog track?

A view from above. Relative to the dog track, there's a field to the east separating it from Dunnes; the river's to the south; the car park and residents are to the west, and Showgrounds shopping mall is to the north.
    https://goo.gl/maps/htifEa8fBoN2

A view from the car park looking at the dog track. You can drag the view around to see the residential buildings.
    https://goo.gl/maps/YrGKuABmxZS2

• Registered Users Posts: 1 marcrn88

With the utmost of respect guys, showing maps and the proximity of the proposed venue is a bit condescending to the normal intelligent person. Hell, we know where the Dog Track and the Showgrounds are. We also know the significant amount of people around on a normal 'night at the dogs'.... remember we live here.

Residents of the east end of town surrounding the greyhound stadium have an absolute right to be concerned about what will happen at a 'Techno Music' event. Residents also have an absolute right to live a peaceful and comfortable existence and not have to worry about pets, vehicles or property, and YES, such an event is causing a lot of anxiety to my elderly parents right now. They are worried about pets and asking friends in other areas of town if they can park their cars there for the night.

Since when is that situation right?

I felt the need to post this because I'm sure and I know that my parents are not unique. There are lots of elderly residents in the area as this is a settled area of town.

Be considerate with your posts. Objectively, we all know that this is the wrong venue for such an event.

Have it in Clonmel every year and make it an annual event that will grow....... Yes please ..... but at an appropriate venue and please don't make older people worried.

were thr aves you went to near houses? How many will be in this and how many would be at a night at the dogs. Just wondering will it spill out into carpark. I was at the dogs once .Isn' t there a field behind the dog track?

No, I was in London and Melbourne at the time, big cities with big warehouses / industrial areas where a lot of these raves were held.

I haven't been to the dogs in about 12 months and that was for a charity event but you would be luck to get maybe, 200 people to the dogs - from approx. 6.30pm and over by 9.00pm. you can't really compare, two totally different events.

The field to the side of the greyhound track leads to Dunnes on the Davis Road, and its other boundaries are the river, houses, Fozzys and O'Keeffes and the Showgrounds.

If they do have this event again, I would hope they would have a new venue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

marcrn88 wrote: »
    @ QReg and other naysayers

By characterising me as a naysayer, it seems you've assumed I'm opposed to you (note I thanked your post; I agree with everything other than the first paragraph) somehow because I posted maps without expressing an opinion. You may have missed my single post stating my position - that's understandable, this topic is dragging on far longer than usual in the Clonmel thread - 10 pages and counting.

While linking the map with the field in direct reply to a question, it occurred there might be people who don't know how close the residential area is, so I posted the street level view from the car park. I've found that it's often the case in arguments that one or more assumptions are made. Assuming everybody knows the area well is a mistake, imo. Maps clear that right up.

I've contributed one opinion post, one factual reply to a query, and one defence to a mischaracterisation. That's two more than I originally intended. I'll resume waiting for this unresolvable conversation to ebb.

Advertisement