Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭djscubasteve

mlumley wrote: »
    Obviously, a lot of the people commenting for this event, do not live right next to the Dog track. I do, and I dont want to have to listen to the noise for hours.
    As some one has already said, the race track would have been better for everyone.
    I am going away so that I dont have the bother of the noise, but I am wondering if my house will be safe.

Tens of thousands of very drunk people walk through residential areas around Semple Stadium in Thurles on match days, do their houses get damaged?? What about during all the Feile gigs years ago?? As was just mentioned, litter will most likely be the worst problem afterwards.

The people attending the event are there to listen to music that they like, have a few drinks & enjoy themselves. They're not coming down to ransack your house! If this was an event that had bands on all day, there wouldn't be half as much opposition to it.

klose wrote: »
    Does anybody know if powers town was contacted about hosting? I see there is no race meeting there that weekend so its free, havent been there in years what even are the facilities like there? The dog track is pretty modern so it assumably trumps powerstown on facilities.

I'd say it's more a matter of the size of the event. Powerstown is quite big & would require much more investment, I imagine. Plus, it's right next to a busy main road. The dog track is quite enclosed, probably better from a safety point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

too many Garda and councillors live near the racecourse to get it to happen there, the socio-demographic around the dog track is far more silent - no voice to object -

Tens of thousands of very drunk people walk through residential areas around Semple Stadium in Thurles on match days, do their houses get damaged?? What about during all the Feile gigs years ago?? As was just mentioned, litter will most likely be the worst problem afterwards.

The people attending the event are there to listen to music that they like, have a few drinks & enjoy themselves. They're not coming down to ransack your house! If this was an event that had bands on all day, there wouldn't be half as much opposition to it.

Feile use to plague Thurlas with social order issues - it got the flick to Cork as soon as it could - I don't think it's accurate to say there are tens of thousands of drunk people going to Munster championship hurling fixtures - as mentioned before there is a different demographic attending techno gigs compare to indie gigs or country etc. Not saying each won't have social order issues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

No Councillors live near the racecourse. In fact the Councillor who lives closest to either venue is Cllr Ambrose and she is closer to the dog track, so I'm afraid your theory on why the dog track was chosen is debunked.

• Advertisement

Cllr Dunne?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

He hasn't been a Cllr for years

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

and what a useless cllr

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

Feile use to plague Thurlas with social order issues - it got the flick to Cork as soon as it could -

Why is there a local campaign trying to revive it then, and why do they have feile beag the past few years then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

So, did all hell break loose at the weekend or what? All very quiet now? I presume it went off without incident?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

So, did all hell break loose at the weekend or what? All very quiet now? I presume it went off without incident?wrong weekend. wasn't on yet

Why is there a local campaign trying to revive it then, and why do they have feile beag the past few years then?
    money for some folk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

So, did all hell break loose at the weekend or what? All very quiet now? I presume it went off without incident?wrong weekend. wasn't on yet

its the weekend of the 8th July

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

Good lord, go away for a week and all hell breaks loose.

As for the rave in the greyhound stadium, I'm no old fogey (well yes, maybe a bit) but there seem to be better venues around the town for a rave than the greyhound stadium:eek:

I hope it goes off peacefully, but I can't help feeling there could be trouble ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

Any update on the rave. Has their been any significant opposition to it. Was there much debate on Tipp Fm about it

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tommiet

Any update on the rave. Has their been any significant opposition to it. Was there much debate on Tipp Fm about it

http://tippfm.com/listen-back/tipp-today-hour-1-monday-june-26th-2017/

10 minutes in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

tommiet wrote:
    10 minutes in

Thanks for that

anything in nationalist about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

anything in nationalist about it?

Nope not that I could see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭klose

According to their Facebook page as of Tuesday they have 150 tickets left to sell before it's a sell out (pinch of salt required I suppose). I assume it's above board and will go ahead at this stage thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Tickets sold are approx. 950.

I'm yet to get a straight answer from Mass 2017 what the limit to the decibels is to be. Gardaí will be there.

Re the TIPP FM interview - To mention Nathan Carter and Semple Stadium continually is just fluff. He agreed that the type of music is bass, 10 hours of that will drive me insane. I won't be able to open a window or door. Again Semple Stadium is not on for 10 hours. The standard spiel seems to be mention Nathan Carter and Semple Stadium as comparisons - utter nonsense - they don't go on for 10 hours.

I'm waiting to hear back from the environment section of the county council as to what the maximum decibels they will allow the event to be at.

I'm not at all happy about it but it seems I'm a lone voice locally

• Registered Users Posts: 30,234 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm yet to get a straight answer from Mass 2017 what the limit to the decibels is to be. Gardaí will be there.

Re the TIPP FM interview - To mention Nathan Carter and Semple Stadium continually is just fluff. He agreed that the type of music is bass, 10 hours of that will drive me insane. I won't be able to open a window or door. Again Semple Stadium is not on for 10 hours. The standard spiel seems to be mention Nathan Carter and Semple Stadium as comparisons - utter nonsense - they don't go on for 10 hours.

I'm waiting to hear back from the environment section of the county council as to what the maximum decibels they will allow the event to be at.

Not being smart with but I know people who can't syand noise and they say a good pair of ear plugs generally helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

Not being smart with but I know people who can't syand noise and they say a good pair of ear plugs generally helps.

I'm awful for making light of a serious issue but this reminded me of a Nathan Carter concert I went to in the marquee last year, they were selling ear plugs at the merch stand!

Back when there used to be fun fairs/carnivals down in the old showgrounds, they played loud music all day long & there was no objections to them ever being held there.

You do seem to be a lone voice in the sense of your absolute staunch opposition. While many people are a bit sceptical of how it will go, they seem to be willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. Maybe many people see this as a generally positive thing for the town & see it as potentially opening other opportunities for having music events in the town, generating revenue for local business. There's a bigger picture here than just putting you out for 10 hours of your life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I do think you're getting too worked up about it. Okay, it won't be pleasant but it is only one day, it's on a weekend and it may benefit the local economy.

I think sometimes you have to just roll with things and see what happens. If it's a disaster and major damage is done in the area then maybe it's valid to campaign for it not to happen again but to pre-judge it and wreck your head when you won't make any difference is only causing yourself stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

I find it totally reasonable for those living in or near the area to be concerned about the event. Speaking from experience, a day and night of aggravation that someone else is imposing on you in your own home is a one hell of a long day.

Nearby concerned residents should get together before the event and discuss things to decide if a portion of them feel it's worth pursuing preventative or protestant action of some kind. After the event, another residents' meeting should be held to discuss whether their concerns were borne out, and whether the stadium and/or council should be informed accordingly to prevent this precedent from taking hold, possibly leading to repeat events or weekend events, which could affect real estate value in the area.

I'll butt out of the conversation until the next topic since I'm not an affected resident - I believe they're the only people who matter much in this discussion.

I know several people who are not happy about it. They may not be on the internet or in a position to speak out but they exist. Some are elderly and not used to dealing with media etc. I think they do not feel able to represent themselves in a get together protest. Maybe they do not matter?.

It is nonsense to compare the noise from the carnival, with their beat up speaker system, with the modern equipment used at raves. If all they have is a carnival type sound, anyone paying would be ripped off

• Registered Users Posts: 30,234 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know several people who are not happy about it. They may not be on the internet or in a position to speak out but they exist. Some are elderly and not used to dealing with media etc. I think they do not feel able to represent themselves in a get together protest. Maybe they do not matter?.

If you start an online petition be prepared for the consequences.

• Advertisement

If you start an online petition be prepared for the consequences.
    where did i say i had any intention of starting online petition?. i do not even live in Clonmel. I am just saying that just because people who are against it are not on the internet or this site does not mean they do not exist.

There seems to be people saying here that there is no opposition to it. There is. Not me it does not affect me. But it does affect some people, and they are not happy about it. i do not speak for them- just saying they exist

Advertisement