Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

Did anyone lose their electricity last night? I think around 11:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

cml387 wrote: »
    Did anyone lose their electricity last night? I think around 11:30.

Yea, didn't come back till around 2 or so for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

Does anyone know of someone in/near Clonmel that might have spare parts or a cheap repair service for a grass strimmer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

Qreq wrote: »
    Does anyone know of someone in/near Clonmel that might have spare parts or a cheap repair service for a grass strimmer?
    Paddy Milleas in Irishtown opposite church probably would. Don't know for sure but he does lawnmowers etc. No idea re prices

I heard people in Clonmel talking about someone called Johnny Black Pudding. Who is that, a new butchers or a nick name for a butcher?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I heard people in Clonmel talking about someone called Johnny Black Pudding. Who is that, a new butchers or a nick name for a butcher?

Neither, there is/was a family in town (and their surname escapes me at the minute) but they were known as the "black puddings" and Johnny is one of them :)

Paddy Milleas in Irishtown opposite church probably would. Don't know for sure but he does lawnmowers etc. No idea re prices

Don't think Milleas do repairs.

Pat Cleere in Dillon street does though and also Powerfleet in Ard Gaoithe Business Park (beside Boston Scientific)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Vizzy wrote: »

Pat Cleere in Dillon street does though and also Powerfleet in Ard Gaoithe Business Park (beside Boston Scientific)

I don't know about power fleet, but cleeres is definitely not cheap, as per the ops query!

jlm29 wrote: »
    I don't know about power fleet, but cleeres is definitely not cheap, as per the ops query!

Neither of them is exactly cheap I'm afraid. None of the bricks and mortar shops will be, but Powerfleet do a selection of parts which might suit the Op

Neither, there is/was a family in town (and their surname escapes me at the minute) but they were known as the "black puddings" and Johnny is one of them :)
    why?

• Advertisement

They repair lawnmowers anyway and sell spare parts

why?

I think that it was just a "pet" name that was put on the family,but I will try to find out for you(and myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

A little more detail might be helpful.

Make of the strimmer, model, electric or petrol, how old it is and a little description of what the problem is with it.

The more info the better.

why?

The name faintly rings a bell.

Could there be a connection to Burkes bacon, maybe some of the family were employed there.

I'm curious about it myself now.

dieselbug wrote: »
    A little more detail might be helpful.

Make of the strimmer, model, electric or petrol, how old it is and a little description of what the problem is with it.

The more info the better.

The strimmer's a Homelite HLT26CDY. It's cordless. Don't know how old (I'm asking for a family member). The problem is that pulling the rope doesn't cause the expected action inside the machine. I've seen him open it and point out a round black plastic part attached to the starter housing (the starter housing is number 37 in the second diagram linked here) where some of the black part has broken away. When I suggest ordering what I think the part (link) is online, he disagrees that it's the right part. To try another tack, I thought getting it done locally would be good, so I asked in this thread. I passed on the suggested places kindly given by you all. I suspect he won't try them.

The strimmer's a Homelite HLT26CDY. It's cordless. Don't know how old (I'm asking for a family member). The problem is that pulling the rope doesn't cause the expected action inside the machine. I've seen him open it and point out a round black plastic part attached to the starter housing (the starter housing is number 37 in the second diagram linked here) where some of the black part has broken away. When I suggest ordering what I think the part (link) is online, he disagrees that it's the right part. To try another tack, I thought getting it done locally would be good, so I asked in this thread. I passed on the suggested places kindly given by you all. I suspect he won't try them.
    I do not know much about strimmers. But he might be better off to buy a new one. If the part is replaced it probably won't be too long before the battery starts to fail, if it is anyway old

I agree. I told him that the cheapest cordless in Argos at the moment is €45 so any repair would have to be very cheap to make it worthwhile. Thanks for your help.

I called in to Milleas today out of curiosity.

They do fix lawnmowers ( apologies Jenny Smith) and strimmers.

I asked him about repairing a strimmer for a "friend" and he told me that you would have to bring it in to them so that they can figure out what is wrong and if it can be fixed. He did say that Homelite parts should be easy enough to get.

The strimmer is petrol engine driven, not electric as cordless may suggest.

You wont replace it like for like too cheaply. Also a petrol driven one will be much more powerful than electric.

I think you are on the right track with the part you selected (no 32 on the second diagram list) although without seeing it I cannot be absolutely certain.

http://www.magic-parts.co.uk/acatalog/Homelite_HLT26CDY.PHP

Not an expensive part or difficult to fit but if the spring has to be removed it can be tricky to refit correctly (think of a clockspring)

Bring it to Pat Cleere or Fleetpower or Sylvester Morrisey in Carrick on Suir.

Should'nt be very expensive, ask for a price before committing to the repair if you wish.

Thank you very much, Dieselbug. He was surprised by that spring after tinkering too far today. He's set in his ways and isn't heeding suggestions (though I'll let him know about the Carrick guy for completeness). I think we can safely say intervening is a wasted effort at this stage and I'm letting the matter fade into the blue yonder like that spring.

• Advertisement

dieselbug wrote: »
    The strimmer is petrol engine driven, not electric as cordless may suggest.

You wont replace it like for like too cheaply. Also a petrol driven one will be much more powerful than electric.

I think you are on the right track with the part you selected (no 32 on the second diagram list) although without seeing it I cannot be absolutely certain.

http://www.magic-parts.co.uk/acatalog/Homelite_HLT26CDY.PHP

Not an expensive part or difficult to fit but if the spring has to be removed it can be tricky to refit correctly (think of a clockspring)

Bring it to Pat Cleere or Fleetpower or Sylvester Morrisey in Carrick on Suir.

Should'nt be very expensive, ask for a price before committing to the repair if you wish.
    Sorry Oreq, assumed cordless meant it was battery

No probs, Jenny, so did I even though I saw it.

Thank you very much, Dieselbug. He was surprised by that spring after tinkering too far today. He's set in his ways and isn't heeding suggestions (though I'll let him know about the Carrick guy for completeness). I think we can safely say intervening is a wasted effort at this stage and I'm letting the matter fade into the blue yonder like that spring.

Here's another possible option and without interfering with that spring.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291909649891?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Registered Users Posts: 5 learning1

Could anybody recommend an area for a family to move to? From Dublin, kids 9,7 and 5. Boy sports mad, girls just mad 😉

learning1 wrote: »
    Could anybody recommend an area for a family to move to? From Dublin, kids 9,7 and 5. Boy sports mad, girls just mad 😉

Clonmel or South Tipperary in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Clonmel or South Tipperary in general?

Cahir is a great place to live. One drawback, if you are working in Clonmel and driving to work, the sun is in your eyes in the mornings and evenings, at times.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

learning1 wrote: »

If you decide on South Tipp then Kilsheelan just outside Clonmel is lovely, or if you want a larger place Clonmel itself isn't bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Local man has passed today following a motorcycle accident in Limerick . everyone stay safe out there on the roads and stay off mobiles and pay attention

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I have about 50 euros in coins and looking to get cash for that.

What's the best place to change them? They are unsorted. Could they change in AIB?

• Advertisement

I don't know, but a word of warning. Certain Banks have a policy of only changing coins on certain days of the week during certain hours, so you'll need that info. You'll also likely need to sort and bag the coins yourself so that the bank teller can weigh them. So if you're making a trip to your bank to get some moneybags, you can ask about their coin change policy/times.

Advertisement