Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

laoisfan wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anyone bought from PA Moore Car Sales in Clonmel, Tipperary?

http://www.pamoorecarsales.com/

If so, any issues?

Looking at picking up a car...purely as a runaround car i.e. drive to train station, picking the kids up etc etc.

I'm based near Rathdowney, Laois so no bother to drop down.

Thanks.

Pa is a very shrewd guy, if you see a car you like push him for his rock bottom price and then pretend to walk away and if he calls you back push for lower again and again pretend to walk away and if he does not call you back turn back and buy the car. If he knows you came all the way from Rathdowney he will know that you do not want to leave town without buying so push hard !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

here we are trying to screw our own, Pa is alright, only trying to make an honest living.

snipey wrote: »
    here we are trying to screw our own, Pa is alright, only trying to make an honest living.

Did you ever hear of anyone ever screwing a second hand car salesman ?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Xenophile wrote: »
    Pa is a very shrewd guy, if you see a car you like push him for his rock bottom price and then pretend to walk away and if he calls you back push for lower again and again pretend to walk away and if he does not call you back turn back and buy the car. If he knows you came all the way from Rathdowney he will know that you do not want to leave town without buying so push hard !

Should we not be trying to support local industry and buying from local people like this who are trying against the odds. These are people who are struggleing against the local massive high rates which are crippling local industry.

Business is business and a profit is necessary for a business to suceesed.

Pa Moore is around a long time and i believe he is probably in a better position to advise rather than be advised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Thanks for all the replies lads. I'm Pa is well able to look himself and sure I'm sure he expects people to try it on. If he's lasted this long then he must be doing something right!! Will also look at some other dealers closer to Thurles (Two Mile Borris area) and Portlaoise also.

Cheers again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Xenophile wrote: »

Good advice - this is generally how you should deal with cars sales people - not Pa in particular -

Pa is grand - seems to be doing well enough, turning over the stock regularly - I know him but never dealt with him for a car - mate of mine did and no issues with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭copy1

Hi,i m looking for a someone in Clonmel to do Maths grinds for a 1st year if anybody knows somebody.Thanks.

copy1 wrote: »
    Hi,i m looking for a someone in Clonmel to do Maths grinds for a 1st year if anybody knows somebody.Thanks.

Check out the Nationalist. They often have people offering grinds.

Thanks for all the replies lads. I'm Pa is well able to look himself and sure I'm sure he expects people to try it on. If he's lasted this long then he must be doing something right!! Will also look at some other dealers closer to Thurles (Two Mile Borris area) and Portlaoise also.

Cheers again.

Try Michael Clohessy in Littleton, family business there for the last 60 years or more!

Would be nice to know the eventual outcome!

Check out the Nationalist. They often have people offering grinds.

Thanks very much,yeah i have tried but no Maths on it last few weeks.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much,yeah i have tried but no Maths on it last few weeks.

Try this site. I'm sure you'll find someone in either Clonmel or the South Tipp area. https://www.firsttutors.com/ireland/

Try this site. I'm sure you'll find someone in either Clonmel or the South Tipp area. https://www.firsttutors.com/ireland/

Your very good thanks so much i ll try that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭cml387

Was this anyone you know!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

cml387 wrote: »
    Was this anyone you know!?
    Jaysus,either a stranger in Town or drunk,lucky she didn't hit you or she would be in right trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

tippspur wrote: »
    Jaysus,either a stranger in Town or drunk,lucky she didn't hit you or she would be in right trouble.

Ha, thats a good one

You could have drove straight into her - and she would have still have been in right trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LFC1

Hi,

Has anyone bought from PA Moore Car Sales in Clonmel, Tipperary?

If so, any issues?

Looking at picking up a car...purely as a runaround car i.e. drive to train station, picking the kids up etc etc.

I'm based near Rathdowney, Laois so no bother to drop down.

Thanks.
    I bought a car off Pa recently and he gave me a two month warranty which hes obliged to do under law for dealers, then I brought my car to another mechanic he checked it over and gave me a list of items I went back to Pa with list and he covered repairs 100% no questions asked, would def recommend him from my experience hope this is of some help

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

LFC1 wrote: »
    I bought a car off Pa recently and he gave me a two month warranty which hes obliged to do under law for dealers, then I brought my car to another mechanic he checked it over and gave me a list of items I went back to Pa with list and he covered repairs 100% no questions asked, would def recommend him from my experience hope this is of some help

sounds good - i guess if you buy privately, you have no comeback? a case of buyer beware?

Well, you cant ask for fairer that that, credit where credit is due.

I have never dealth with him, but when someone is in business for a long time he must be doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Nice one - thanks for the feedback. Fair play to him. Can't ask for more than that.

Nice one - thanks for the feedback. Fair play to him. Can't ask for more than that.

Like other posters have said, Pa has been in business for years. He wouldn't be still there if he was not honest and giving value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭TheCowboy

And why was there a list of things to be repaired? Should these not have been rerpaired before selling it? If you had not taken it to another mechanic you would have a car that needed repairs

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

TheCowboy wrote: »
    And why was there a list of things to be repaired? Should these not have been rerpaired before selling it? If you had not taken it to another mechanic you would have a car that needed repairs

I agree. I bought a car off him a year ago and it's been nothing but trouble. He was meant to supply me with something small for the car afterwards too but he never did. Every time I rang or called over it was brushed off so I gave up in the end. Wouldn't recommend him myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Tubberadora

Your very good thanks so much i ll try that now.

Did you get sorted? PM if you are interested. I don't normally do grinds but I could help out. I've a 1.1 Honours Degree in Engineering and also have an Accountancy qualification. Would be willing to help if you are still stuck.

That's fair enough but When I bought the car it had just passed the NCT that day which shows the NCT test is flawed because it never picked up on any faults, so that's who I would blame first as with any car private or from a dealer you never know when its going to give trouble but at least Pa stood over the warranty and covered the costs so before people try ruin his business with a few comments I just wanted people to know the good side too which is why hes still in business so long even when garages closed through the recession, Pa kept going, my opinion I would deal with him again

That's fair enough but When I bought the car it had just passed the NCT that day which shows the NCT test is flawed because it never picked up on any faults, so that's who I would blame first as with any car private or from a dealer you never know when its going to give trouble but at least Pa stood over the warranty and covered the costs so before people try ruin his business with a few comments I just wanted people to know the good side too which is why hes still in business so long even when garages closed through the recession, Pa kept going, my opinion I would deal with him again

What kind of things did the NCT miss?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I had an issue with a car I bought from him about a month after. He gave me two choices, bring the car straight to his mechanic in Fethard or leave the car with him and he would do it in a few days himself but in the mean time I could have a lend of a car to keep me going. Personally I brought the car straight to the mechanic which of course Pa paid for. No queries no grumbling he just sorted it. So I would use him again.

What kind of things did the NCT miss?

Missed... bushings, oil leak and and a bearing , surprised really these are the sort of things they should pick up on, makes you wonder about the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭TheCowboy

Missed... bushings, oil leak and and a bearing , surprised really these are the sort of things they should pick up on, makes you wonder about the test

why did you bring it to your own mechanic to check as it had a new nct?

why did you bring it to your own mechanic to check as it had a new nct?

A new nct cert is no gaurantee that the car is in A1 condition. Some tests are based on performance, for eg, your brakes could be 99% worn and they will still pass the test based on performance.

I recently inspected a car that had been purchased from a main dealer with a 6 month warranty. This car was valued in excess of 13k euro. It still had a significant problem with an oil leak on a major component.

When it was brought to their attention it was agreed it would be put right as it should be.

The point is, a used car is exactly that used, and problems may arise. The important thing is how the seller responds to those problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

On another note, I heard strong rumours that we may see the Post House back open in the near future and as a pub..

Advertisement