Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

All in all wrote: »
    Thanks - any idea of prices?

I found him very expensive a couple of years ago. Wasn't happy with what he was showing me so said I'd be back. The next day I got a bigger and better looking one in Dove Hill for €10 less that year. They are gone now and I've switched to an artificial one since then but I'd advise you shop around. People only buy them once a year so no one really knows what the going rate is.

I hear there is a farm out Clogheen direction where you can go chop down your own if you want to make it an event with the kids but I can't remember the name. If I meet the lad who told me I'll ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I see they're getting ready to put a crib up at the entrance to a group of houses on the Fethard road. Nice thought. Hope it doesn't get vandalised.

I assume you mean Boherduff Heights...that shelter is for the water campaign protesters, its there Mon-Fri for the past few weeks as they 'stand guard' keeping Irish water out !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Due for an upgrade to 8 screens in the near future too if the rumours are right, apparently they have bought the old Slatterys and Vision Store buildings. Heard from a fairly reliable source.

Would be a good bonus to the town.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Have Irish Water metered most of the town at this stage? I've seen them around town a bit moving barriers etc. They were in and out of our estate last week but they've finished now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

Seem to have moved to Kilsheelan and on towards Carrick, saw them there on my way home this morning.
    Have not done all Clonmel as only parts of my estate metered, was told my house wasn't on their list when I asked them. Been away so haven't followed up on it.
    And before anyone jumps on bandwagon, have no problem paying for water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

btb wrote: »
    Seem to have moved to Kilsheelan and on towards Carrick, saw them there on my way home this morning.
    Have not done all Clonmel as only parts of my estate metered, was told my house wasn't on their list when I asked them. Been away so haven't followed up on it.
    And before anyone jumps on bandwagon, have no problem paying for water.

Mine was the same they will come along in a couple of days and fit one. Make sure to check it as I had to call them back to mine as they left it without frost protection

F34 wrote: »
    Mine was the same they will come along in a couple of days and fit one. Make sure to check it as I had to call them back to mine as they left it without frost protection

I must check my own one..I used to hve a key for the old cover..do these just pop up?..I must check the frost protection..The only thing I will say is the finish is terrible...not level with the path at all,while some of the others are spot on..mine is like a mini speed ramp:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Excuse the ignorance but what does the frost cover look like? I haven't been home in daylight or around at weekends since they put it down so haven't checked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

I must check my own one..I used to hve a key for the old cover..do these just pop up?..I must check the frost protection..The only thing I will say is the finish is terrible...not level with the path at all,while some of the others are spot on..mine is like a mini speed ramp:D

Yeah you'll see a screwdriver slot on the side of them just pop them up. In fairness to them they were quick to sort it once I rang them.

Must ring them now as they left part of the footpath as a trip hazard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

solerina wrote: »
    I assume you mean Boherduff Heights...that shelter is for the water campaign protesters, its there Mon-Fri for the past few weeks as they 'stand guard' keeping Irish water out !!!
    Had to laugh at this:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

You know what grinds my gears? Convenience stores that have a policy of a minimum 10 euro spend before you can use your debit card - locally they don't all do it and since it bugs me I go to the stores that don't have that policy. No problems.

Tonight I was picking up a Chinese take away in Irishtown and was in a rush - McDermot's would have already have been my "only if there is no alternative" store but in I went. My transaction totalled more than ten euros so out came the card. The total was however less than 15 euros and the girl behind the counter informed me that a transaction less than 15 euros would attract a 35c charge, was that ok? No thanks love, I will leave it in that case.

Hadn't heard this one before and was kinda taken aback when she said it to me, but in the end, I voted with my feat.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭copy1

Grinding my gears... i went in to Topaz this morning,the staff member could not say a reply when i said good morning...not a thank you or kiss my ass even when i bought 70 Euro of fuel...yes before you say we do all have bad days but really not 1 word to a paying customer.

You know what grinds my gears? Convenience stores that have a policy of a minimum 10 euro spend before you can use your debit card - locally they don't all do it and since it bugs me I go to the stores that don't have that policy. No problems.

Tonight I was picking up a Chinese take away in Irishtown and was in a rush - McDermot's would have already have been my "only if there is no alternative" store but in I went. My transaction totalled more than ten euros so out came the card. The total was however less than 15 euros and the girl behind the counter informed me that a transaction less than 15 euros would attract a 35c charge, was that ok? No thanks love, I will leave it in that case.

Hadn't heard this one before and was kinda taken aback when she said it to me, but in the end, I voted with my feat.

Less then 15 Euro never heard of that...you did right thing by walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

copy1 wrote: »
    Grinding my gears... i went in to Topaz this morning,the staff member could not say a reply when i said good morning...not a thank you or kiss my ass even when i bought 70 Euro of fuel...yes before you say we do all have bad days but really not 1 word to a paying customer.

Which Topaz, better not to paint all with the same brush.

dieselbug wrote: »
    Which Topaz, better not to paint all with the same brush.

Prior Park.Have to say no need to be so rude,i d say something if i were rude to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Ridiculous policy alright as its a good deal bigger than the usual size newsagent, but in fairness there is a bank machine over your left shoulder (albeit, regularly out of order)

What's even more annoying is that stupid change machine. Feel like throwing the coins at them rather than use it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Fair play for not paying it,never heard of that before,scandalous.

Ridiculous policy alright as its a good deal bigger than the usual size newsagent, but in fairness there is a bank machine over your left shoulder

Yes there is - i could have used it - but I guess the point i am making is, its their policy and they are welcome to it, but its something i have never heard of before and I wont be supporting a store that enforces this policy - I spent my dollars elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

I am sure that you are aware that McDermotts have an ATM in store. These small local convenience stores are finding it hard to survive againtst the competition of Aldi and Lidl, if you want them to survive against the Global multinationals maybe it is reasonable to pay them a little over the odds.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

Same thing happened to me a few months ago in that same shop, I also walked out. I tried to argue the case after picking up a few bits and bobs that came to something like €11 but the guy behind the counter was rude about it, no apology or anything. Never again will I go into that shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

Xenophile wrote: »
    I am sure that you are aware that McDermotts have an ATM in store.

and before you mention the ATM, it wasn't working....

The "spend a tenner to use your debit card" is one that many corner shops have (and as i mentioned one that i avoid) - but this 35c to use your debit card if under 15 euro amounts to a tax by the store to use a certain payment method - thats what it boils down to.

It was a new one on me and thats why i raised it - at least others share my disagreement with it and have voted with their feet too.
    Xenophile wrote: »
    I am sure that you are aware that McDermotts have an ATM in store. These small local convenience stores are finding it hard to survive againtst the competition of Aldi and Lidl, if you want them to survive against the Global multinationals maybe it is reasonable to pay them a little over the odds.

I already mentioned the ATM, but otherwise - I don't think this store and their other store at end of Heywood road is struggling at all - they have been in business for years and the stores now seem busier than ever (i used to deliver daily to both stores many years ago - @dcorcaigh 's take on their mannerisms is totally in line with what I remember, but thats a different debate, not my original point on the debit card charge) - you are already paying "over the odds" on their products as is normal for convenience stores -

If you think its reasonable to pay for the convenience of going to a store on a Sunday night - you will pay a little more, i think everyone accepts this business model - but taxing the use of a widely used (in my case nearly exclusively used) payment method? No thanks - not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Yorker

copy1 wrote: »
    i am told you have to pay for air to pump tyres there now

Yorker wrote: »

a few service stations do that now a days - but again not all - find the ones that don't and support those instead - would be my thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

a few service stations do that now a days - but again not all - find the ones that don't and support those instead - would be my thinking.

I get the feeling, this practice will be phased in slowly, everywhere. The costs if having an air line are pretty high, ie. Compressor, lines, hoses, tyre pressure gauge and if course the electricity to run them all, adds up quickly and that's before damage and servicing is taken into account.

Meathlass wrote: »
    Have Irish Water metered most of the town at this stage? I've seen them around town a bit moving barriers etc. They were in and out of our estate last week but they've finished now.

I saw them down towards the quay this morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

We fitted a trolley type lock on our airline today. Its to stop the guage being fecked on the floor and being driven over, leaving it unusable. Its just an incentive for the guage to be put back correctly...you get you € back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Yorker

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    We fitted a trolley type lock on our airline today. Its to stop the guage being fecked on the floor and being driven over, leaving it unusable. Its just an incentive for the guage to be put back correctly...you get you € back.
    are you topaz? was it not charged before today?

In other news how long is abrakebabra closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

are you topaz? was it not charged before today?

No we are a private entity..but we have gone through at least 6 air guages this year alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Must be at least 6 months now, Chinese opening there soon.

Advertisement